Next Thread
Print Thread
#262357 04/09/15 12:41 PM
S
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
S
I was thinking about Clark revealing his alter-ego to Lois and I think saying, "I'm Superman" is probably the last statement he would want to come out of his mouth. Though I agree that it might if he was under pressure or if it was an emergency.

Clark he wants Lois to be attracted to him as Clark, not Superman. He feels that "I'm Clark, Superman is what I do." Why would he muddy the waters by saying "I'm Superman"? huh After all, he makes his living stringing words together. He writes articles with every word carefully chosen to convey meaning. He's also known for his human interest "touchy feely" writing.

He knows that if he does this wrong he risks losing Lois completely. Further, he knows that he needs time to convince her that however angry, frustrated or confused Mad Dog Lane may become, his parent's lives as well as her own are at risk if she really goes off the deep end. Would he really be that blunt?

Clark has had months to think about every nuance of the discussion (even if Lois ends up initiating it). "I'm Clark, Superman is what I do," is more of an explanation. As a revelation I think it would be awkward. Something like, "Lois, I'm sorry I ran out but someone needed Superman," is too ambiguous and could leave Lois thinking that Clark just needed to contact Superman and he'd be back at square 1.

If Clark had to tell Lois that Superman was his secret identity, what would Clark-the-writer say? Verbal or written only. Just floating over the couch is not allowed. razz

(Warning--parts of any discussion following may be hijacked and incorporated into a story...) wink

Shallowford
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
How about the following?

"Lois, I have some unique talents that I wanted to use to help people, but I was afraid that if I did so, people would start treating me differently and everyone I cared for might be put at risk. I created the role of Superman so that I could use those talents and still be just plain Clark when I'm not rescuing anyone."

Short and sweet.

Joy,
Lynn

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hmmm, you have presented a fascinating premise for any writer of these fics. Revelations are definitely something I don't do very well. My best took place when a cat opened Clark's secret closet while Lois was there.

But this is a challenge .... cool

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Sometimes keeping it simple and saying, "I'm Superman" is best, however there are times that it will elicit an unexpected response, such as laughter and disbelief. In Green Green Glow of Home - Matchmaker Style, that's what happened. Clark was without his powers because of the Kryptonite exposure so Lois didn't believe him. He had just suffered the trauma of a paper cut after all. He had to work to convince her. He had to think of another way when she challenged him to convince her by flying her round the farm.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj
Top Banana
Top Banana
Personally I think that "I'm Superman" is the perfect opener to a more in depth explanation. It sums up completely the fact that Clark is an alien with superpowers and he spends he free time saving the world. I don't think it takes away from the reality that 'Clark' is the real person at all. Clark thinks of Superman as a job or it can even be equated to a actor playing a role on TV. Two nights ago my husband finished watching Defiance Season 2 and then he went on to watch the specials/behind the scenes. One of them was about the makeup being applied to a particular character. The actor happened to mention that when he tells people he is on Defiance they don't believe him, because he is in so much makeup. So, if he was to say to someone "I'm Alak Tarr", does it take away from his real identity? No, it just explains what and who the role is that he is playing.

Now, if Superman didn't exist, then that is a different scenario entirely.

KatherineKent/Victoria
Lois: "You put up with me for the same reason I put up with you. It's because I'm completely in love with you."
Clark: "And I love you ... Did we just make up?"
Lois: "I think so."

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard