Vatman - Matchmaker Style

Rated PG-13

* * denotes emphasis
< > denotes thoughts
As always comments are welcome. (ken.janney@kjanney.com)

Previously

The following week, Lex Luthor called Nigel St. John to his office. Luthor asked, "Status?"

"Operations are at a low key right now per your instructions. Oh, we just got a report from our contact in Metropolis Women's Prison. Last week, Lois Lane and Clark Kent went to see Toni Taylor. The tape made during the interview didn't disclose anything. She was not giving them any information.”

“A few days later the inmate that was keeping an eye on Toni reported that she started complaining of abdominal pain. The staff didn't think anything of it and did nothing. Eventually she apparently passed out.”

“They found her unconscious and rushed her to the hospital. It would appear that her appendix had ruptured. She failed to receive the necessary care in time and died on the operating table." Nigel finished his report calmly.

Luthor sat back in his chair and took a deep drag on his cigar savoring the taste before blowing a smoke ring. "Such a pity. I'd had high hopes for her. She was keeping her mouth shut. If she had opened up to Lane and Kent, we would have had to shut it permanently. This just saves us the trouble and future worry. I really hate loose ends, don't you?"

"Yes, sir."

The day after Toni Taylor's death, Clark received an e-mail from Bill Henderson telling him that if Lois didn't pay her parking fines she would have her license suspended.

As soon as Clark had opened it, he had called Lois over to read it. As soon as she did they high fived.

Jimmy was doing some research for Cat and watching Lois and Clark from his desk as he ran a search program. When he saw the high five he began to wonder just what the source of the celebration was. Lois and Clark were both pleased with whatever news they had just gotten. He tried to think of what kind of thing would make them both happy at the same time.

As he was mulling over the possibilities his computer beeped as it completed its search. The search was related to the recent kidnappings of the children of wealthy families in Metropolis. A list of children names started to scroll across his screen. That gave him and idea.

He tried to get a good look at Lois's abdomen, but she was sitting at her desk again.

Just then she stood up and went to the supply closet. As she stood, Jimmy noticed how she was dressed, sexy, but demure. An odd combination, low cut and short, but somewhat loose around the middle.

Jimmy thought, <Could she be? They do talk an awful lot about having a baby. I wonder.>

A little later, Jimmy was in Perry's office and he asked, "Chief, have Lois and Clark said anything to you?"

"About what?"

"Oh, I don't know. What they're doing? They were out the other day."

"Oh, that. They went for a photo shoot. Marketing is planning a new ad campaign featuring them as ‘The Hottest Team in Town'. I have to say, some of those shots I saw were hot. Some of them looked like they were having sex with their clothes on."

"Uh, huh. That's what I thought. You know how they can't keep their hands off of one another. I just saw them celebrating like they had gotten some good news. Do you think, Lois could be …"

"What? They have been married for over six months. No, well, they haven't said anything to me."

"Look at the way she's dressed today, loose fitting clothes."

Perry looked out his window and saw Clark hovering over Lois at her desk. It looked like he was giving her a back rub. He thought, <I used to give Alice back rubs when she was pregnant.> Aloud he said, "I see what you mean. We'll have to keep a close eye on them."

And now:

Chapter 2

A few days after the death of Toni Taylor, Lane and Kent made another visit to the Metropolis Women's Prison. Ostensibly they were there to investigate the death of Toni Taylor. They interviewed the staff and admin personnel that had been involved, making copious notes. While there they asked if they could speak with Miranda Michaels.

They were conducted to the same interview room they had been in before and were asked to wait.

The interview with Miranda played itself out as a duplicate of the one with Toni. This time when asked what she did to pass the time she replied, "I've started reading romance novels." That signaled her agreement to the proposal.

Two weeks later, Miranda was found in her cell, unconscious. She had a reddened area on her leg which looked like and insect or spider bite. She was rushed to the hospital, but was pronounced dead on arrival. The prison staff moved the inmates from the adjacent cells and called in an exterminator to treat the area.

The next day, Clark had a note from Bill Henderson thanking him for getting Lois to pay her fines.

Clark showed Lois the note and there was another high five.

Seeing this, Jimmy was more convinced than ever that they had some good news that they were keeping to themselves. He just couldn't figure out what it was. Lois was dressed in a form-fitting dress that showed off her slim figure. There was no evidence of a baby bump.

The following week, on one of his many visits to Luthor's office, Nigel reported on Miranda's death. “The staff believed that she was bitten by a venomous spider or an insect of some sort. They moved the prisoners from the adjoining cells, including the inmate that was watching her for us, and called in an exterminator to treat the entire wing.”

"Ah, it seems as though fortune has smiled upon us, once again. Another loose end tied up without our having to lift a finger."

"It would seem so, sir. It is curious though that once again, Lane and Kent interviewed her sometime before her death."

"When? Why were they there? Was it specifically to speak with her?"

"It would appear not. They were there to investigate the death of Toni Taylor. The interview with Miranda appears to have been an afterthought."

"Was there anything of interest on the tape?"

"No, sir. Just small talk. They did ask if she would return to her perfume business. Her reply was that she didn't think so."

"All right. So, she was also keeping her mouth shut."

"It would seem so."

"Good. I have been having regular calls from Dr. Leek for some time and my latest project is nearing its completion. I will be busy for some time, quite busy as a matter of fact. I must play papa. Wish me luck."

"Quite right, sir. Good luck."

Lois and Clark were driving through the Brightview area, on one of their visits to the ‘safe house' that Bill had set up. As they were driving, Lois was looking at the houses they were passing and commented, "Aren't these absolutely lovely houses? These old brownstones remind me of my old apartment in some ways. You know, Clark, I love our apartment, but we could really use some more space. We know that we will be having a baby and our apartment doesn't have room for a nursery. Don't you think we should maybe start looking for a bigger place? We have the money I was saving for the Tahiti trip. We could use that as a down payment. With our combined salary, now that Daddy is paying for my old apartment so that Lucy can live there, we could afford a reasonable mortgage. Bill did say that this was a low crime area so it should be a safe place to have a family. We've already seen how unsafe our apartment is. Jack broke in easily and stole all our stuff. What'd'ya think?"

"You're probably right. We can drive around one day and see what is available."

The ad campaign had been in full swing for some time and the team of Lane and Kent had lived up to their billing. Since the start of the campaign they had brought to task two City Councilmen for malfeasance in office, both of whom had resigned. There had been a construction project on the east side that had been using sub-standard building materials; Bobby had given them the tipoff on that one. The head of the construction company had been indicted on that one and finally there had been a string of arsons. That turned out not to be for profit or an insurance scam, but was simply someone that liked to watch fires and firemen at work. It had cost several lives therefore a charge of Murder in the First Degree had been sought by the DA. His public defender had plea bargained it down to manslaughter with commitment to a mental institution.

Clark was out of the office checking with a source and Lois was working on a follow-up to the firebug articles when the TV caught everyone's attention.

Standing, Lois joined the crowd around the TV watching LNN, in horror at what was happening. The LNN anchor, Frank Madison, was giving the details as they turned the sound up. "We are now getting a report that the Seven-Ninety-Seven is making its last circle before it attempts a landing at the Paris International Airport." He paused and pressed his earpiece more firmly into his ear as he listened, then he spoke again, "I'm reminded of the vigil for Charles Lindbergh not so far from this spot. Only now, it's a giant airliner with its landing gear and wing flaps inoperative."

Lois was thinking, <Where's Clark? He should be there by now. I hope he's on his way. He should have heard about this.>

Perry looked around and asked, "Lois, where's that husband of yours?"

Without taking her eyes off of the monitor she replied, "He had to go meet with a source. He should be back shortly."

After a brief pause, Frank came back on and said, "And instead of a lone American pilot, there are 220 passengers and a crew of ten living this last hour in the cold fear of a possible violent death."

Lois didn't really need to hear that graphic description. She had needed to comfort Clark too many times when he had failed to rescue someone that he felt he should have and blamed himself for failing to do so.

While they all watched the TV the elevator dinged and the doors opened to reveal Clark Kent. He appeared to be completely unaware of the situation in France. He exited the elevator heading for his desk, but he saw everyone gathered around the TV.

Lois had heard the elevator chime and spotted Clark as he was exiting it. She hustled over to him and whispered, "Where have you been … never mind. You're needed in France. There's an airliner in trouble."

He looked at the TV. He asked, "What's going on?"

Frank was saying, "They're only three minutes from touchdown." He listened to his earphone again before he said, "We now have an LNN Reporter on the scene ... Let's see if we can go to their satellite feed."

The screen behind Frank came to life and was a split screen. There was a photo of the local newscaster and one of Orly Airport. The voice of the reporter came from the speakers, "In his last circle, the pilot used up all but enough fuel to complete the landing, so this is it ..."

Perry answered his question, "Serious situation at Orly. Plane's got no landing gear, about to attempt a belly landing."

Lois and Clark exchanged a look. They needed to come up with a reason for him to leave, but before they could they heard Jimmy’s shout, "Look!"

Lois and Clark both turned and looked at the screen. What they saw startled them both.

Perry shouted, "I don't believe it."

Lois breathed, "It's Superman! He's there. In Paris." She looked again at Clark.

Clark shrugged his shoulders and shook his head as a group cheer went up. They turned back to the monitor.

Perry muttered, "Great shades of Elvis!"

Lois watched as Clark lowered his glasses slightly and looked over the top at the screen.

As he watched, someone that looked just like him, had flown into the scene and was flying alongside the aircraft.

As if to confirm what he was seeing, the local reporter said, "This just in. Superman, the famed Man of Steel from Metropolis, is flying alongside the stricken airliner."

As they all watched, Superman flew in under the aircraft and supported it while it made its final approach and came in for a landing. Superman continued to support the aircraft while maintenance crews drove on scene and freed the landing gear. Once this was done he lowered the aircraft onto its wheels and flew off.

The LNN reporter had given a blow by blow description, "Superman is setting the big aircraft down, gently as a feather. It's almost on the ground ... and now ... he's done it! The plane is safe! Superman has saved the day!”

The newsroom erupted in cheers for the local hero, but Lois and Clark were just looking at one another in disbelief.

Lois whispered, "We have to talk."

He nodded and turned in the direction of the conference room.

Once they were inside and the door closed, Lois asked, "Who was that?"

"I honestly don't know. I've never see him before. He looked like an exact copy of me. I mean closer than a brother. Like an identical twin."

"He looks like he's as old as you. Where could he have been hiding all of these years?"

"I don't know. I was the only one in that ship. The globe didn't say anything about another one."

Lois asked, "Would Jor-El have mentioned another ship?"

"Lois, you saw what I saw and heard what I heard. There was only one ship. It sure looks like he has my powers and he looks just like me. To all intents and purposes he could very well be me.”

A panicked look came on to Lois’ features. "Clark, we have to figure this out. You know and I know that it was not you. How can we find out who it was?"

"Maybe we should just double-check with my parents. There might be something they haven't told me."

"Sounds like a good idea. We can call them as soon as we get home."

The rest of the day proved to be uneventful so at quitting time, Lois and Clark packed up and went home.

Clark was in the middle of helping Lois cook dinner when the phone rang. Clark grabbed it and said, "Kent Residence."

The voice that came from the earpiece was instantly recognizable, "Clark, that was so thrilling. Honey, it's been a while since you've had a major save like that. Things have been very quiet recently."

Jonathan added, "All those people … we're so proud."

Martha came back on and said, "It was quite a surprise though, seeing you in Paris."

Clark interrupted, "I'm glad you guys called. We were going to call you after dinner …"

"Oh, I'm sorry, honey! Did we interrupt your dinner with Lois?"

"No, we were just making stir-fry. Lois is cooking. Listen, can we call you back?"

"Sure, son. Whenever you and Lois are free."

Looking over at Lois and seeing where she was with the meal he said, "We'll call in about forty-five minutes, okay?"

"Sure, that will be fine."

After dinner, Lois and Clark called Smallville. Once they were all on the line, Clark said, without preamble, "Mom and Dad, how much do you know about my arrival?"

"Not all that much, son. We found your ship in Shuster's field. We saw it land and investigated. When we opened the ship, there you were."

"Then there wasn't another baby in there with me?"

"No. Why would you ask that? If there had been another baby, you would have had a brother or sister. We would never have separated you."

Clark let out a sigh of relief, "That's what I thought. The reason I asked is … that wasn't me in Paris this afternoon."

Jonathan blurted out, "What? If it wasn't you, who was it?"

"That's what we're trying to figure out, Dad."

Lois spoke up, "Jonathan, Clark was standing right there, next to me watching it on the TV. It wasn't him."

"That's why I was asking if there was another baby. It was somebody ... something else. We watched it, too, at the newsroom.” Clark paused as he thought about how to express how he felt, "When I saw him ... it was like my whole world turned upside down. If it wasn't for Lois, I don't know what I'd do. I'd think I had a serious mental problem."

Martha was still having a hard time understanding, "But Clark ... we saw you ... You were wearing your outfit. You flew What ... who else could do that?"

Lois answered, "That's just it, there shouldn't be anyone else."

Jonathan added, "This is unbelievable." Jonathan thought for a second before he added, "Maybe you should make a public statement, get this out in the open, let the world know there's an imposter out there."

Lois said, "I don't think that's such a good idea. With all that Clark can do, if he announces that there's someone else out there that can do what he does, it might cause a panic."

"He seems to be helping, just like Clark."

"Mom, we have to figure out what or who we are dealing with here before we do anything."

"I wonder, after what Mr. Wells told us about parallel dimensions … could he be from one of those?"

"I don't think so, Mom. I think Mr. Wells would have come to us to let us know if he was bringing a visitor with him."

"Okay, well, you keep us posted, son."

"We will, Dad. Thanks."

As soon as they had hung up, Lois asked, "How can we confirm that he is really as much like you as he appears to be?"

Clark thought for a second and then snapped his fingers. He said, "He was holding that airliner up. Maybe he left handprints. I could go and see if they match."

"Sounds like a good idea."

"Want to go?"

As soon as he asked, Lois started to get excited. "Fly to Paris? The City of Lights? Me? I'd love to."

"Let's go early. There's this little bakery that makes the absolutely best croissants in the world."

Lois threw her arms around his neck and started kissing him, "You … are … the … best … husband … ever." The words were interspersed with kisses.

Clark lifted her into his arms and carried her to the bedroom. "If we are going to get an early start, I think we need to get to bed early."

"But I'm not sleepy."

He bounced his eyebrows and said, "Who said anything about sleep?"

She squealed in delight and kissed him again.

He carried her through the archway and laid her on the bed. They simply cuddled and kissed for a while.

Then slowly piece by piece their clothes came off.

Within minutes, Clark was caressing her breasts, kneading them and gently pinching her nipples and as he did her breathing began to be somewhat ragged.

His hand drifted down across her belly and started stroking her legs, skimming down her outer thighs and back up the inner thigh. As his hand traveled up her inner thigh her legs parted to allow him easy access. It was a feather light touch, barely perceptible.

After several minutes of this his lips left hers and she whimpered at the loss only to gasp when he made contact with the side of her neck and kiss a line down, across her shoulder and then his tongue licked out and circled her breast, finally taking her nipple into his mouth and sucking on it.

As he did that she let out a guttural groan and reached for him. This started a period of marital intimacy.

When they were finished, he floated them up and over so that she would be on top. After heaving another sigh of contentment, she drifted off to sleep.

He lay there, under her and marveled once again at his good fortune. To have the woman that he loved so completely as his wife and the promise of children with Lois in the future was almost overwhelming to him. He drifted off to sleep with a smile on his face.

comments go here

TBC

Last edited by KenJ; 04/15/15 11:29 AM.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj