Band of Blue TOC

Disclaimer: From chapter 33 onwards there are chances of certain phrases and situations coming almost directly from The Death and Life of Superman novel. In each chapter there could be anything from a couple of words (phase) up to whole choreographed scenes. I do not claim these as my own work, but have just inserted them into my narrative. Some of these may not even be noticeable to someone who has read the book, and especially to those who have never read it (why have you not read it?). Still I would not wish to claim that these words were mine when someone far better than me penned them years ago.

Chapter 40

Clark awoke to a bright light. He had to squint until his eyes adjusted. He held one hand in front of them for a few moments as he tried to open them a little wider.

His last memory was of closing his eyes while resting in Lois’s arms.

Doomsday … is he … is he …?
Down. You stopped him. You saved us all!

As he finally managed to open his eyes fully he was expecting to see Lois’s face, or the Daily Planet building. He sat up in confusion. I’m in the fortress. How did I get here? He stood to his feet and scanned around.

“Kara!” he shouted in shock. She was encased in a beam of light. She must have brought me back here to continue the training. Clark felt his heart break again. Seven more years. At least I got to see Lois again. To tell her that I love her.

“Jor-El!” he called. “I’m awake now. I’m here to continue the training. Is Doomsday gone?”

“Yes, my son. Doomsday will no longer trouble this world, but you do not need to train.” Clark’s heart skipped a beat and he felt a rush of excitement. “You have proved yourself worthy to be Earth’s protector. I give you a different task.”

“What task, father?”

“You must train Kara. She needs to understand this world. She must learn to fit in; to make a place for herself. Take her Kal-El, and protect her. Teach her about human emotions and how they affect the people of this Earth. Help her to fit in but never to forget her Kryptonian origin.”

Clark turned to look at his newest family member. The light around her shut off immediately and she dropped to the ground and onto her knees. “Why father, why?” she sobbed quietly. “I’m so sorry uncle. I never knew.” He watched as she rose slowly. When she noticed him her eyes widened.

“Kal-El,” she smiled. “You’re alive.”

“Of course I’m alive Kara,” he laughed lightly.

“But you weren’t. You died.” She stepped forwards and touched his chest. “Jor-El. He did it. We thought that he could.”

“I don’t understand.” Clark stepped back away from Kara’s touch. He felt a little disturbed. She must have seen that he was uncomfortable so she stepped back and then clasped her hands in front.

“You and Doomsday ... You fought to the death. You collapsed and no-one could revive you. There was a memorial.” She turned away. Clark could hear emotion in her voice. She sounds upset, but I thought Kryptonians didn’t have emotions, or is that just Jor-El? “J’onn J’onzz came to me and convinced me to leave Lex.” J’onn J’onzz? Lex? “He also put together the idea of bringing your body here once he knew the fortress existed. Apparently your wounds had healed even though you were dead so it seemed possible that you could be revived ... somehow.”

Clark shook his head in confusion. “I’m still not sure I understand but I know I’m glad.” He smiled again and stepped back towards Kara. He put an arm on her shoulder and turned her back around. “Come on. Let’s go home. I think you should meet my parents.”

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Chloe sat in the crook of Oliver’s arm. She rested her head on his shoulder and sighed.

“Should we have told her?” she asked, for the hundredth time.

“Chloe, we’ve been through this. It would have broken her if nothing came of it. This way she never needs to know if ...”

Chloe pushed up and out of his arms. “Go on Ollie. You can say it.” When he remained silent she continued. “If it doesn’t work. If he stays dead.” She stood up from the couch and wandered away. Coming to a stand-still at the other end of the room she hugged herself with her own arms and swayed. “I understand why we didn’t tell her. But why did you tell me. This is going to break my heart too. He was my best friend.”

Ollie stood and came to stand behind her. He wrapped his arms round her and covered her own arms encircling her in his embrace. “We needed Watchtower on the job. I’m sorry Chloe. I know he meant everything to you, but I’m here ... if you need me. I’ll help you through this.”

She tilted her head back and he brought his down and buried it in the crook of her neck. She was half way to turning round into his arms when a sudden breeze blew her hair around her face. She drew away from Ollie and turned to the open door to the balcony of Ollie’s apartment.

He was stood on the ridge of the wall edging the balcony. His cape was billowing out behind him. Her mouth dropped open in shock. He smiled at her then nodded at the man behind. She turned to look at Ollie and found him smiling. When she turned back to the balcony he was gone.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Clark knew that many people were desperate for news of his return so he made quick stops round the city. It had been wonderful to see his parents and to introduce them to Kara but he hadn’t been able to hide his impatience to be off and his mother had eventually looked him in the eye and spoken her mind.

“Kara will be fine, Clark. Go. And take this.”

She had pressed something into his hand and then he had known that she understood where exactly he wanted to go. He knew that once he was there he would find it difficult to leave, which is why he did his ‘fly-by’ of the city before heading for her apartment.

And now it was time.

He alighted on her balcony and looked through the glass doors into her living room. The light illuminated her walking round the couch holding a glass of water and a sandwich on a plate. She turned and looked through the glass back at him. Clark saw her still and then the glass and plate dropped, smashing at her feet.

“Clark,” she mouthed and he was through the doors in an instant.

His boots crushed the glass fragments as he stood in front of her. Neither said a word for a few seconds and then they were kissing.

Clark brought his hands up to her face then buried them in her hair. He crushed his mouth down onto hers pouring out all his frustration, his despair and his joy at returning. He felt her arms come round his back and up to his shoulders. She pulled him down, further onto her mouth.

When they broke apart they were both breathing heavily. Clark rested his head on Lois’s forehead and smiled.

“I missed you,” he said, lightly, as if he had only been gone for an hour.

“Clark!” she wailed. “How can you reduce what we’ve been through to those three words?”

“How about these three then? I love you.”

She smiled and he saw her eyes glistening with unshed tears.

“Or maybe five words. I don’t have to leave.”

She caught her breath in shock and brought her hand up to cover her open mouth. He watched a tear escape her eye and travel down her cheek.

“But I think I’ll go with four words.” She frowned and he reached out his hand showing her a small box. “Will you marry me?”

She took away her hand from her mouth and he could see her lip trembling. She nodded slowly. “Yes.” The nodding increased. “Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes.” She jumped into his arms and he held onto her tightly. She pulled away and he slowly placed his mother’s engagement ring onto Lois’s finger. When he looked up she was smiling so widely. It was infectious and he couldn’t help the grin which stole over his own face.

His eyes dropped to her lips and he decided that he couldn’t wait another moment to taste them again.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Epilogue on Friday. Comments go here.

KatherineKent/Victoria
Lois: "You put up with me for the same reason I put up with you. It's because I'm completely in love with you."
Clark: "And I love you ... Did we just make up?"
Lois: "I think so."