Band of Blue TOC

Disclaimer: From chapter 33 onwards there are chances of certain phrases and situations coming almost directly from The Death and Life of Superman novel. In each chapter there could be anything from a couple of words (phase) up to whole choreographed scenes. I do not claim these as my own work, but have just inserted them into my narrative. Some of these may not even be noticeable to someone who has read the book, and especially to those who have never read it (why have you not read it?). Still I would not wish to claim that these words were mine when someone far better than me penned them years ago.

Chapter 38

The world was in shock for days. Lois saw it on the faces of everyone around her. The young intern, Olsen, who had taken the first famous picture of Superman. He’d also taken the final picture. You could see it on his face as he walked around the office. The junior reporter on the next desk over; Troupe. Lois could see it on his face as he typed up a story. No-one could believe that a super-powered being from another planet could arrive and make such a different in just a few months only to be taken away so dramatically.

As Lois stood in the cold drizzle and waited in Centennial Park she knew that she felt very different to everyone else. She couldn’t believe that a wonderful, kind farm boy could embrace a magnificent destiny yet still want to embrace her. And she couldn’t believe that she’d denied herself the relationship until a few days ago only to have it taken away within hours. There was a numbness in her heart; an emptiness to her soul, and as Lex Luthor stepped out onto the podium to speak she turned away in despair, unable to listen to the pathetic words he would spout.

Lex had been missing for Superman’s debut and at least half of his public existence. Lex didn’t even know, to Lois’s knowledge, that it was really Clark, his one time friend. How did he get this honour?

As Lex cleared his throat to speak Lois glanced back. The small blonde girl stood at his side looked more sad than anyone else Lois had come across. The media referred to her as Supergirl and in one, brief interview with LNN Lex had said that she claimed to be Superman’s cousin. Lois hadn’t been able to get near her to verify that. It seemed Lex was protective of his Supergirl. He was also protective of the secret to his sudden head full of shocking red hair.

Lois turned away again and began to push her way out of the crowd, not taking in a single word from the billionaire. She felt a tugging on her arm and turned to see Perry.

“How you holding up, kid?” he asked. She gave a wan smile.

“Okay, I guess. I mean it’s not every day the world says goodbye to someone like him.”

“No. I just wonder how those who were his family and friends are holding up.”

Lois chocked back a sob. “Yeah.”

“Any news about Clark?”

“Clark is ... Clark is ... No Perry. Someone suggested he might be in a collapsed building somewhere.”

“You and he ...” Perry paused. “I saw you together. You were getting close.”

Lois couldn’t bring herself to speak so she just nodded. Perry looked at her with fatherly affection in his eyes.

“Do you need any more time off?”

“No Perry, I’ll be fine. I just ... need to go,”

I just wonder how those who were his family and friends are holding up.

Lois heard those words in her head and knew she needed to talk to someone who could share her level of grief. She reached the edge of the crowd as Lex said something about ‘Sacrifice and Heroics’ and pulled out her phone then dialled Chloe’s number.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Chloe sat in the Talon apartment watching the television. Live coverage of the Superman Memorial Service was piping through but Chloe wasn’t listening to a single word. She was staring through the screen, not at it. She blinked in shock when she heard a knock at the door. She muted the sound and stood up, calling out “Coming.”

When she opened the door she was greeted by a wry smile on a handsome blonde face. “Ollie,” she said, shocked. “What are you doing here?”

“I thought you might need some company.” He stepped in and nodded towards the silent television.

“Uh, yeah.” Chloe raised her arms and waved in the same direction. “I’m just staring at it really.” She lifted a hand and swiped her cheek to clear it of childish tears. Blinking she turned away and put on a brave tone. “You didn’t have to come. I would have expected Metropolis’s most eligible bachelor CEO to be in the Honour Party.”

“That position would also apply to Lex Luthor, and as he somehow got the prime speaker slot he dictated who was on the podium with him. He and I don’t exactly have a good past.”

“Kinda like him and Clark, then eh?” She smiled brightly.

“Chloe, don’t do that.” He stepped up to her and put a hand on her shoulder. She pursed her lips in embarrassment and looked down at her feet. A finger on her chin forced her to look back up into open, honest eyes. “Don’t.” Ollie let her know in just one word that she could be as vulnerable as she needed with him. She smiled sadly and then felt the tears start to fall. His arms came round her and she dropped her head to rest on his chest.

“He was so special,” she mumbled into his chest. “Even before his powers manifested.” She felt fingers tangle into her hair and a little pressure made her look back up again.

“You’re special too, Chloe.” She looked into his eyes then, as his head began to descend, she flicked her gaze to his lips. Ollie, was her only thought as she closed her eyes.

His lips were soft and gentle; just what she needed. She gripped the front of his shirt and kept as still as possible. He didn’t try to deepen the kiss, just showed her simple affection and comfort.

After a few seconds they parted and Chloe stepped back. Ollie gave a quiet chuckle and Chloe smiled. She opened her mouth to say something and then her phone rang.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Martha and Jonathan sat in silence, glued to the set. When Lex Luthor got up to speak Jonathan stood in disgust.

“What? How can they have him speaking about Superman?” He waved his arms around and stormed off. “Turn it off, Martha.” She stood and flicked the switch, listening to her husband muttering as he walked away. “He’s got no right to give a tribute to my boy. Lex bloody Luthor.” Martha went after him.

“Jonathan. He doesn’t know it’s Clark. He’s only doing what has been asked of him.” She placed a hand on his shoulder and he turned back to her.

“He took a promising friendship and ruined it with his secrets and experiments. He ruthlessly took over his father’s company, not that Lionel was probably any better. He’s been missing for months and never explained what happened. Who knows what new secrets he has and what new experiments he’s running. Look at his hair.” He turned back and pointed to the now blank screen. “He’s not a fitting speaker for our son’s memorial.”

Jonathan turned away and then stilled. Martha still had her hand on his shoulder and felt the sobs start by the movement even before she heard them. He dropped to his knees and she knelt next to him. They held each other tight and just waited there. Time heals all wounds, Martha thought, and when enough time had passed they felt able to stand again.

They both headed out to the barn and went up to Clark’s first Fortress of Solitude. Standing in the centre of everything that represented Clark to them they said their own goodbye.

When they returned to the house much later Jonathan strode straight to the television and switched it back on. The official speeches looked to be over and the news programme was airing random tributes from the general citizens.

Martha and Jonathan sat in silence again not noticing the blinking light on their answer machine.

Suddenly the front door burst open.

“Mr and Mrs Kent. Are you here?” someone shouted. “Hello!”

Martha stood quickly and ran towards the visitor. “Chloe, oh Chloe.” She pulled herself up short when she realised that Chloe wouldn’t understand. “What are you doing here?”

“Lois wanted to come and see you. She needed people to talk to. People who know.”

“Know what?” Martha said carefully. It was then that she noticed someone step into the house behind Chloe. She recognised her from a few nights ago. Lois Lane; the woman who had stolen Clark’s heart. She’d come looking for him that night, and then Clark had disappeared only to return to die. Another figure then entered after Lois and Martha widened her eyes further. Oliver Queen!

“And we also thought that you and Mr Kent might need some support. I mean, it’s not like you can go to the funeral as chief mourners. A little unfair really.” Chloe continued. When Martha looked up at her in surprise she smiled. “We all know, Mrs Kent. We’ve come so that we can all be together.”

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Lois sat with a warm drink in her hands. The cold drizzle had permeated her skin and nothing seemed to be warming her.

The tea helped a little.

She glanced through her eyelashes, taking in the home that Clark came from. So warm, so homely, so Clark.

She smiled to herself. Since accepting her need for him there had come an almost instant understanding of him, too. It was as if they were two halves of one whole. And now half of her was missing. The pain was unbearable.

The current company helped a little.

Lois took a sip of tea. “So he left to train?” Clark’s mother asked. Lois had been explaining what she knew of the events since the night of the reunion. She nodded. “He’d been so determined not to give in to Jor-El but if he gave his word then ...”

“We taught our boy to always keep his word, Martha. If he promised to train in return for knowledge of how to defeat this ... General Zod ... then he needed to keep it.” Lois looked at Jonathan Kent. She could see that this man had been the greatest influence in Clark’s life and she felt a great respect for him.

“Um, Mr and Mrs Kent. I don’t know how to tell you this, and I don’t know if you’ll believe me ...” Lois took a shuddering breath. She’d never felt more nervous in her whole life. “He asked me to marry him before he went.” She looked between them both, back and forth.

“Oh, Lois!” came a soft voice from Martha. Clark’s mother stood swiftly and embraced her. Lois put down her tea and stood entering the embrace fully. “My dear. My daughter.” Lois could hear the tears in Martha’s voice. When she pulled away there was a wistful smile on her face. “You said yes?” There was a tiny, but teasing frown on the older lady’s face.

“Of course I said yes, Mrs Kent.” Lois felt a tear roll down her cheek. Jonathan Kent stood up at that point and also came over for a hug.

“Lois, I want you to consider yourself family. Even though ... though ...” His voice trailed off.

“Ok, Mr Kent,” Lois replied nodding while chewing on her bottom lip.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

It was late in the evening when everyone got up to leave. Martha looked around at the strange group of guests she had entertained all afternoon.

One of Clark’s oldest friends: Chloe
His new girlfriend, fiancée, soulmate; Lois
A billionaire bachelor. How had Oliver Queen got mixed up in all this?

At the door she called Lois back. The beautiful young woman turned and looked at her with shimmering eyes. “Yes, Mrs K?” Martha smiled inwardly. She’d already settled into a natural friendship. If only her and Clark had met earlier ... or had more time together.

“I’d like to give you something, Lois.”

“Really? That’s not necessary.” Lois looked a little confused and also shy.

“When I first arrived in this house I felt ... out of place. Jonathan’s mother was a little scary to me. But on our wedding day she gave me this.” Martha handed over a box. Lois looked at her questioningly and then opened it. Martha knew what she was looking at.

“She told me that I made Jonathan happy. She’d seen such happiness in him since he’d met me. You make Clark happy. I’m so glad he found you before ...”

“Mrs Kent, I ... don’t know what to say.” Lois looked shocked but Martha knew she’d done the right thing.

“Just take it,” she said, “and always remember that you have a home here.”

Lois reached into the box and gently pulled out the beautiful length of chain. She held it up to the light and let the heart dangle down.

“It’s beautiful. Thank you.” She placed it round her neck then smiled. Martha saw the tears threatening again but Lois held them back. Instead she reached out and put her arms round Martha’s neck and then kissed her on the cheek.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Comments

KatherineKent/Victoria
Lois: "You put up with me for the same reason I put up with you. It's because I'm completely in love with you."
Clark: "And I love you ... Did we just make up?"
Lois: "I think so."