The Rival - Matchmaker Style

Rated PG-13

* * denotes emphasis
< > denotes thoughts
As always comments are welcome. (ken.janney@kjanney.com)

Previously:

When Clark left Lois and Linda on the street he headed into the hotel. He was determined to simply warn Secretary Wallace of the danger and let his security detail handle it since there was no immediate threat. When he had looked around, while out in the street, he had surveyed the surroundings and had not seen any gunmen or any other threat so he didn't think that Superman needed to intervene.

As he entered, he looked around for Secretary Wallace and his entourage. He didn't see any signs of them so he decided they must still be in his suite. The quickest way for him to reach that would be the stairs, so he disappeared into the stairwell.

As the door to the stairwell was closing behind him, Lois and Linda entered the lobby through another door and stopped to look around.

When they did, Linda spotted Carpenter, Stark and two others, one dressed like a gardener and the other a parking valet were entering an elevator. Linda pointed and said, "There they are."

After the doors had closed they approached and Lois noted that the indicator was going down. She noted a nearby stairwell and said, "Come on," and led the way through and down the stairs at a run.

Lois and Linda paused at the landing only long enough to stop gasping for breath from their run and Lois cracked the door and peered out. When she did she saw Carpenter and his men moving down the corridor.

Lois saw them pass through a set of swinging doors. As soon as they were out of sight, she threw open the door and the two women followed them. Lois saw the plaque that read Banquet Kitchen and sneaking up to the door, raised her head only high enough that she could peer through the porthole style window that was inset.

Linda looked through the other window. They both saw Carpenter and Stark and the other two huddled around a table.

Lois whispered, "One of us should notify the police. The other should stay on the story."

Linda replied, "Great idea. You take the police."

Lois looked at Linda and said, "I thought you'd handle that."

Linda replied, "Think again."

Before Lois could stop her, Linda pushed through the doors silently.

Thinking, <Clark is going to kill me.> Lois followed her through.

And now:

Chapter 07

Lois followed Linda into the kitchen precincts and they both scuttled behind the tall racks that the wait staff used for moving large quantities of meals to the banquet hall. They had to depend mostly on their ears since they couldn't chance being spotted. They did try to inch closer and as they moved from one piece of concealment to another they saw Stark point to something, presumably a chart or map that was laid out on a table.

Stark said, "I'm here, on the roof across the street. You two set up here, and here. Fire when you hear my shot." He turned to Carpenter and asked, "What about your 'friend?'"

Lois and Linda couldn't see what was happening and what they couldn't see was critical. Carpenter pulled out a cell phone and dialed. As he hit the final button, he said, "I'll take care of her."

Lois and Linda were straining their ears to hear what was going on and the import of Carpenter's statement was lost on them until suddenly the silence was broken as Linda's cell phone began its shrill ring.

Lois and Linda were both startled, but no more than Carpenter and Stark. Linda almost dumped her purse in her attempt to get the cell phone out and silence it, but it was too late. The damage had been done.

Carpenter snapped his cell phone closed and he and Stark both moved toward the location of the ring they had heard. As they rounded the towering racks the spotted Lois and Linda kneeling on the floor behind it.

Carpenter was as urbane as Luthor at his best as he said, "Linda, dear. I guess I don't have to tell you I've been detained, do I?"

Lois and Linda exchanged looks. Lois's look was accusatory while Linda's was apologetic.

Carpenter turned to Stark and said, "You have to take care of them. They know too much. It needs to look like an accident."

Stark looked around and said, "We're kina limited on accidents around here. They could fall on a knife, I suppose."

Carpenter replied, "No. Too messy and too much chance of the wound not being fatal, quickly enough. They might be found in time."

Stark found some twine used in tying up cuts of meat and used that to bind the two women together. Once he was finished with this he looked around again. This time he spotted a walk-in refrigeration unit. He said, "Okay. Bring the dames over here." He led the way as the other two goons manhandled Lois and Linda with Carpenter bringing up the rear.

Once Lois and Linda were in the refrigerator they were forced to sit. Stark used more of the twine to tie their legs and then bound them back-to-back. He gave the cords one last check and then stood up.

As he did, Carpenter said, "I can't tell you how truly sorry I am that things turned out this way. On the other hand, you two are going to make a fantastic forty-eight point headline."

As they were exiting, Stark looked at the pipes that lined the walls and pulling out a handgun, fired into one of the pipes. As the bullet penetrated the pipe a plume of what looked like steam started spraying out accompanied by the loud hissing sound of gas under pressure.

His parting words as he closed the door were, "Breathe deeply girls. Freon's better than freezing to death."

After the door closed Lois and Linda both struggled against their bonds, but Stark apparently had been a Boy Scout because he sure knew his knots. They couldn't reach them to untie them nor were they loose enough for them to wriggle out. Lois briefly considered calling Clark, but she knew the danger that Secretary Wallace was in and she didn't want to distract him from protecting him. She knew things would work out. They just had to. She knew that she would be having his baby and that wouldn't happen if she died in this refrigerator.

Her irritation at the situation came out when she said, "Life is cruel."

Linda reposted, "Don't get philosophical. It's never been one of your strengths."

Just to goad Linda, Lois became philosophical, "Well, doesn't it strike you as ironic? That the two of us could die together?"

Linda sighed and said, "We were best friends."

Lois spat out, "Were!"

Linda picked up on Lois's bitterness and decided that ... if this was the end she wanted to get some things off her chest, "Let's clear this up once and for all, okay?"

Lois retorted, "Let's not and if there's anybody on the other side who asks us, let's just say we did."

Linda wasn't to be turned from this conversation, "You think I stole Paul Bender from you. But I didn't. You weren't even dating him."

"I was too dating him, I really cared for him and you knew it." She gave a frustrated shake against their bonds.

Linda defended herself, "He came on to me."

Lois retorted, "And you had no will power, huh?"

Linda, in a defeated tone, replied, "None. I would have done anything for Paul."

Lois challenged, "And I guess you had no will power when you stole my story?"

There was a ton of regret in Linda's tone as she replied, "Okay. I'm weak. It doesn't mean I wasn't a good friend. It just means I wasn't as strong as you are."

Lois's reply was still snarky, "Wait a minute. You're backing into an apology by arguing that you stole a story and a guy because you were under the influence of your hormones and because I was your best girlfriend at the time that I should have forgiven you then and not make a big deal about it now?"

Linda thought for a second and said, "Right."

Lois was starting to worry. The level of the gas was quickly rising, displacing the breathable air as the heavier than air gas built up. She knew she had those memories, but what if Herb had made a mistake and they weren't actually hers. He had said that there were many Lois and Clark couples in the multiverse. What if these weren't really her memories. She could actually die, here and now. She started thinking, <Clark, where are you?>

As the gas was about to envelope her, Lois said, "Okay, I forgive you."

Linda said, "You know, I really envy you, your relationship with Clark. He really loves you."

"I know and I really love him. He's going to miss me."

As she finished speaking, the gas finally engulfed them and they started to choke and cough. They were coughing so violently that they toppled over onto their sides.

Clark was coming down the grand staircase into the lobby. He had been up on the Secretay’s floor and found that he must have just missed him. As he neared the lobby he spotted the Secretary and his entourage exiting the elevator. He was about to go after him when he heard Lois's voice. She was coughing and choking. He decided that the Secretary’s guards would have to do their job until he could return and as quickly as he dared ran into the stairwell, loosening his tie as he went. As he exited into the basement as Superman he followed the sound of Lois's voice to the locked refrigerator unit. Ripping the doors off of the refrigerator he spotted Lois and Linda. He saw the fumes gushing out of the ruptured pipe so he reached over and bent the pipe, crimping it and shutting off the flow of gas.

Kneeling he inhaled and sucked up the fumes, clearing the heavier than air gas and allowing life giving oxygen to flow into Lois's and Linda's lungs. He knelt next to them and snapped their bonds. He said, "You'll feel better in a few minutes."

Lois was the first to recover, "You've got to stop them. They're …"

He replied, "I know."

As he left, Linda looked at Lois and asked, "How?"

"Clark must have told him."

After leaving the women in the refrigerator Carpenter and his men had moved to the street. Stark had taken a long case from the trunk of the limo and moved to a fire escape which he took to the roof of a building across the street from the hotel. While he was doing this the other two thugs stationed themselves at the front of the hotel.

Once he was on the roof, Stark opened the case and assembled the sniper rifle that it contained. He had pre-sighted it for the distances involved and made sure that all of his marks lined up as he installed the telescopic sight.

He sighted in on one of his accomplices and got a clear sight picture. He pulled the rifle back and looking over the parapet spotted Carpenter looking up at him. He gave the thumbs up, ‘go', signal.

Seeing this, Carpenter leaned back and poured himself a glass of champagne. Everything was going exactly according to plan.

Stark was watching as Secretary Wallace and his entourage exited the doors of the hotel and started to cross the walk to the limos. He brought up the rifle and sighted in on the secretary. As soon as he had a good sight picture he pulled the trigger.

Bare seconds after leaving Lois and Linda Superman appeared outside and zipped to the side of Secretary Wallace and he wasn't a nanosecond early. His hand was practically touching Secretary Wallace's forehead when the slug slapped into his palm.

As soon as Secretary Wallace had made his appearance the other two gunmen had pulled small arms from under their uniforms and stood ready.

The echoes of the crack of the rifle hadn't even faded when they brought up their guns.

To free his hands, Superman tossed the slug he had caught into his mouth. At super-speed he moved Secretary Wallace into the limo and out of harm's way. When he turned back it was to face a fusillade of bullets from the other two gunmen. His hands became blurs as he intercepted the bullets, snagging them out of the air.

When their hammers fell on spent chambers he fused the slugs into a ball and tossed it, like a basketball, into a waste receptacle. It circled the rim twice before falling in.

He stepped to the car, pulled Secretary Wallace's pocket square from his suit pocket, took the slug from his mouth, placed it in the fabric, handed it to Wallace and said, "Hold on to this, Mr. Secretary. It's evidence."

As soon as Stark took his shot he had dropped the rifle down an air duct on the roof and hit the fire escape.

He had hot footed it to the limo that Carpenter was waiting in and jumped behind the wheel. He started it up, slammed it into gear and floored the accelerator pedal.

He was surprised that the car failed to move. Then the rear of the car started to climb into the air.

Looking out the back window, Carpenter spotted Superman holding up the back end of the car. He blurted out, "Where'd he come from?"

Lois had been the first to recover and jumping up had high-tailed it for the front of the hotel where the confrontation would occur. Linda managed to get herself together and follow, only about twenty feet behind Lois. Lois had the presence of mind to grab her camera from her bag as she bolted from the doors. She started snapping pictures. She caught the Secretary's guard detail as they subdued the other gunmen. As she whirled around, she got a picture of Secretary Wallace as he exited the limo clasping the pocket square with the slug in his hand. A little further around and she got a picture of Superman holding up the rear of Carpenter’s limo with him and Stark inside.

As she finished snapping pictures, Linda arrived at her side. She turned to Linda and asked, “Do you still have your cell phone?”

With all that had been happening, Linda wasn’t sure so she felt in her bag. She was surprised when she managed to close her hand around it and pull it out.

Lois asked, “Can I borrow that for a minute?”

Linda was still in something of a daze, but she handed it over.

Lois flipped it open and dialed a very familiar number.

“Homicide … Henderson.”

“Bill, Lois Lane. You need to get to the Grand Hotel, pronto. Preston Carpenter just tried to have Secretary Wallace killed. Superman caught them.”

He didn’t even reply. There was a click as he hung up the phone on his end. She knew that he would be shouting orders as soon as he was out his door.

As soon as he hung up, Lois dialed again. This time another very familiar voice answered, “Daily Planet … Olsen.”

“Jimmy, Lois. Grab your camera and get down to the Grand Hotel, now!”

“On my way!”

A couple of minutes later Lois heard sirens in the distance. Quickly the sirens got louder and several black and whites pulled up and police piled out, guns drawn. They were followed closely by a plain car with Bill Henderson behind the wheel and several other plain cars.

As soon as he was out of his car he started directing the activities. MPD officers took custody of the accomplices. Guns and shell casings were outlined with chalk on the pavement.

Just then a cab screeched to a stop and Jimmy piled out of the back. He threw a bill to the driver and pulling out his camera started taking pictures.

Secretary Wallace turned over the slug that Superman had placed in his custody. It was bagged and tagged.

Stark and Carpenter were pulled out of his limo and cuffed before Bill finally managed to interview Superman.

“Superman, what do you have for me? What can I charge them with?”

“Inspector, this man,” he pointed to Stark, “fired a bullet at Secretary Wallace. I intercepted the slug. Secretary Wallace turned it over as evidence. He works for and presumably performed this act at the order of Preston Carpenter.”

Stark sneered, “Where’s your proof? Where’s the gun? It’s just your say-so.”

Bill asked, “Where did the shot come from?”

Superman pointed to the roof of the building across the street.

Henderson called one of his plain clothes men over, “Jeffers, climb up to the roof of that building,” he pointed to the one Superman had indicated, “and look around. Look for a weapon.”

Henderson watched as Jeffers climbed the fire escape. As he was about to reach the top, Superman lifted off and landed on the roof, joining him.

They immediately found the case that the rifle had been in. Looking around though, there was no rifle in evidence. Superman looked around and noticed an air vent. Walking over to it, he looked in. It was a straight drop to the basement.

Superman stepped up to Jeffers and asked, “Can I give you a lift?”

Jeffers was apprehensive.

Seeing this, Superman said, “Don’t worry. I haven’t lost a passenger yet.”

Jeffers relaxed and then nodded.

Standing next to him, Superman put an arm around his waist and then lifted off, landing a few seconds later on the sidewalk. He said to Jeffers, “This way. I think I know where the rifle is.”

Jeffers followed him into the building and down to the basement.

Using his x-ray vision, Superman examined the ductwork until he found the correct one. Using his hands he ripped it open exposing the rifle that lay within.

Jeffers donned a pair of rubber gloves and picked up the rifle. Together they returned to Inspector Henderson. Jeffers displayed his trophy and said, “Up on the roof is the case this was carried in. Superman found it in an air duct where he had dropped it.”

Superman added, “I believe that ballistics will match the slug that Secretary Wallace turned in to this rifle. I’m sure that his,” he pointed at Stark, “fingerprints will be on the weapon.”

Seeing which way the wind was blowing, Stark started to declaim.

Henderson stopped him, “Jeffers, read him his rights.”

As Stark and Carpenter were being Maranda’d Superman took his leave and flew off.

Jeffers read him his rights and when he replied that he understood, he stated, “It was Carpenter. He hired me for this gig. He’s crazy! He wanted to start a war!”

In a flat tone, Henderson said, “Take them downtown. Book them. Attempted murder. Get a forensics team down here to police up the area.”

Carpenter said, “My lawyers will have me out on bail so fast it’ll make your head swim, flatfoot.”

Bill deadpanned, “Not on a charge of attempted murder, he won’t.”

Just then, Clark came strolling up.

Linda spotted him and asked, “Where have you been all this time?”

Lois replied before Clark had a chance, “I’m sure that Clark was smart enough to hide when all the shooting started. He knows I don’t want him getting hurt. I need him to take care of me. Don’t I, honey?”

“I want to be around for you for a long time.”

Lois rewound the film in her camera, removed the film cassette and gave it to Jimmy, “Here, Jim. You might find something usable here.” As soon as she handed the film to Jim she reloaded her camera. She was determined that she wouldn’t be caught with it empty again.

Clark excused himself and went over to talk to Bill Henderson. When they started to talk they strolled away from everyone so that they could talk privately.

comments go here

TBC

Last edited by KenJ; 04/02/15 10:18 AM.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj