Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Boards Chief Administrator
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
I'm sorry for being late, RL and all. However, I have everything ready (and correct) and Voting is now open!!

Head on over to: http://www.kerthawards.com/ka/2015-kerth-awards/voting/

Thanks!!

Annette wink

www.kerthawards.com
www.lcficmbs.com
www.folcvideo.com
www.nfanfic.net
www.annesplace.net

"There is nothing wrong with America that cannot be cured by what is right with America." Bill Clinton, inaugural address, January 21, 1993
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
/puts on 'I have voted' sticker/

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Top Banana
Top Banana
Me, too. So many good stories, such hard choices to make.

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
<Slaps a "I voted" sticker on her shirt>

Man, this gets harder every year.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
<Putting the pin away> There was some pretty fierce competition; choosing was tough. But I, too, get to place an "I voted" sticker on myself.

I wish voting for elected officials were like this. In politics, I'm always holding my nose and voting *against* the candidate(s) who stink more. Here, I am actually eagerly voting *for* stories and wishing I could cast more than one vote in every category, since there is more than one I would like to see win.

Joy,
Lynn

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Eek, voting is open and I'm so behind! Still so many stories to read... *panicking*

Originally Posted by Lynn S. M.
I wish voting for elected officials were like this. In politics, I'm always holding my nose and voting *against* the candidate(s) who stink more.

Seems like some things don't change from one side of the Ocean to the other... *rolling eyes*

Go I Know Not Whither and Fetch I Know Not What
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I have voted!!!! Yay, me. And Yay Authors. Great stories this year.
cool dance clap notworthy notworthy rotflol peep

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
<Gets the stamp on her voting card>
Done! Thanks to the Kerths for making me discover some great stories! smile

Go I Know Not Whither and Fetch I Know Not What
Top Banana
Top Banana
+1

There were a couple of categories that I wanted three votes...

Create all the happiness you are able to create.
Remove all the misery you are able to remove.

Jeremy Bentham

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
::waves at the oldtimers::

I know I'm not a real part of the fandom these days, but there is so much joy in seeing the LnC love still happily thriving. So yes, I do come back and vote every year, even if my ballot has multiple blanks for lack of time.

(Or writing preference style. As an only-occasional reader, it's easier to see the shift in writing trends in the fandom as a whole, which is a fascinating study of its own. I wonder if writing styles shift not only over time, but also by fandom.)

Thanks for keeping things flying, people. smile

Lois: You know the deal.
Clark: Superman gets the guys in capes, Lois and Clark get the guys in suits.

-- Action Comics 827
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Done and Done! hyper

Agree with MikeM, there were a couple of categories I really wanted to vote for two or more stories. Hmmm, maybe those will end up tying? We shall see in a few weeks.

Welcome back Hazel. wave

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Hello Hazel,

I second Morgana's welcome.

I'm curious: What sort of shifts in writing trends have you seen here?

Joy,
Lynn

LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Done and done clap. Proudly will wear my 'I Voted' sticker the rest of the day.

Really impressed everyone...with the stories, with the talent, and so much with the organization of the Kerths every year. SO hard to choose just one story per category--what I thought would be my 'choice' for a few of the categories as the ballot came up changed literally as I was voting...I just could not decide between a few of these notworthy.

Very proud of this fandom hyper
Laura

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
What struck me most is the tendency to write both inner thoughts and dramatic events as single line paragraphs.

So that Clark hesitates.

Winces.

Grits his teeth.

Curls his fingers into fists.

...You get the idea. smile

To me, this is something that I've seen increasing in the last couple of years. Part of me wonders vaguely if this might be because so many authors think in those terms because of e-mails, blogging, etc. I am personally still incapable of using netspeak or failing to capitalize my e-mails, so what do I know?

I mentioned it because I find such writing trends interesting, not as a complaint. Just to be clear on that! Also, this might not be true of the fandom as a whole, but only of a large percentage of stories that were well-liked enough to earn nominations. That, too, would be a most interesting analysis.

Thanks for the welcomes!

-- Action Comics 827
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Interesting, Hazel. Thanks for sharing that observation.

I know I first saw a series of one-word or one-phrase paragraphs used (to phenomenal effect, I might add) by Female Hawk. Check out the Kerth winners for the past several years and you will see many of her stories listed. I have once or twice adopted such structures in my stories, but I use them sparingly. The structure seems to me to be more appropriate for drama than for comedy, and my stories tend toward the latter.

Joy,
Lynn

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Oh, yes. I said it wasn't a complaint, and I certainly recognize Female Hawk as one of the more frequent nominees.

I can picture the style being used for humor relatively easily, but I do agree with you that it suits drama better - sort of reflecting a strained person's own choppy thought processes. Too much pulls me out of a story, though. To each their own. smile

(Also, I must acknowledge that nearly all my fic reading is via Kindle now rather than my computer screen, so the single-sentence paras mean I'm doing a lot of scrolling. That might account for it too. THANK YOU to the fic archive for offering so many reading options these days!)

-- Action Comics 827
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Finally got my vote in. (pastes I Voted sticker on shirt). I hope this comes off in the wash.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Too many choices. My head is spinning with indecision. Can we have a five-way tie for Best Overall Story? /Hands Labby back pin I borrowed. I wish I could have voted for more than one./

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by Hazel
What struck me most is the tendency to write both inner thoughts and dramatic events as single line paragraphs.
When I started posting my first story on the boards a few years ago, one of the comments was that the paragraphs were too long and that the big blocks of words (i.e. paragraphs) were hard to read on a computer screen. The commenter suggested that I try to make my paragraphs short; not more than a couple of sentences, if possible. As I tend to write long stories, this would make them unbearably longer. Since this wasn't the way I was taught to write, and it didn't bother me, I largely ignored this advice. I do try to break up some of my exceedingly long paragraphs, though, from this advice. I, also, have used this technique on occasion for emphasis (usually dramatic). It's possible that other people saw or received this note, and have written their stories accordingly.

It is a style of writing that I've seen (or recognized) commercially by only one prolific Regency Romance writer (whose name escapes me at the moment). I do know that I stopped reading her stories because the short choppy sentences were exceedingly annoying. Also, her stories were VERY formulaic, her characters cardboard cut-outs, and her plots unrealistic and boring. Luckily, we don't have those problems here. smile

Thanks for popping in and saying 'hi'. wave

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Top Banana
Top Banana
Finally done it. It was sooooo hard. Especially as I'm in nearly every category. I had to decide whether to be loyal to myself (and therefore dishonest if I actually liked a different story better) or honestly vote for what I thought was the best story (and then be disloyal to myself).

And often I had NO idea which story I even liked best. They are all so flipin' good.

ARGH!

KatherineKent/Victoria
Lois: "You put up with me for the same reason I put up with you. It's because I'm completely in love with you."
Clark: "And I love you ... Did we just make up?"
Lois: "I think so."
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard