A Wedding in Paris
Chapter One

Description: This is the final installment of the Visitor Trilogy. Time to tie up all the loose ends, see a few old friends and then attend a lovely wedding in Paris! Thanks to Andreia, MikeM, KenJ and especially Sydney whose intimate knowledge of Paris makes this fic so much more believable.

LEGAL DISCLAIMER: Most of the characters in this story are property of DC Comics, December 3rd Productions and Warner Bros. No copyright infringement is intended. I have merely borrowed the characters for a little while. Love this playground!

METROPOLIS: HYPERION AVENUE

Lois sat at her vanity and carefully dabbed on the last touches of make-up. She stood up to survey the results in her mirror. The graceful black dress she had gotten from Darcy’s last week fit her silhouette to perfection. So nice to know she didn’t have to diet anymore, which was one of many perks having Kryptonian DNA bestowed. Her afternoon had been spent tracking down a source from a venture capitalist company’s internal espionage story which took the better part of a day, but it was worth it. Due to her enhanced abilities she managed to finish up the research in record time and have the story typed up for the evening edition.

A familiar voice interrupted her thoughts. “Not bad for an old married lady.” Her husband said from the doorway, with a mischievous lilt in his voice.

“’Old married lady’?” she snorted playfully. “I will have you know Mr. Kent; I can still turn a few heads, especially tonight. The Kerth Awards will be attended by several gentlemen of the Fourth Estate who appreciate a woman with ‘classic good looks’.”

Clark laughed, “Let’s hope they value our efforts on “The Boss of Metropolis series. It would be great to finally share a Kerth award.”

“Has it been a year since we wrote those articles? Wow. Time flies. We have seen a lot of changes both professionally and personally.” Lois said.

“Yeah, the new addition to the Kent household in the form of Ultra Woman came as quite a surprise.”

“Hmmm, not to mention purchasing our townhouse came at just the right time. Good thing that special room behind the bookcase can hold your costumes *and* mine. I’ll bet, ‘Pretty Boy’ didn’t think his old Speakeasy would be used in such a way.”

His brown eyes tinkled “I don’t know, sharing my closet, home and bed with Ultra Woman is kinda sexy!”

“The Newtrich sisters certainly didn’t have that in mind when they used Red Kryptonite on you. What a relief that your powers came back and I kept mine! Now I can help you with rescues.”

Clark looked at his watch and said, “Much as I’m enjoying his conversation, we better get going. Perry is Master of Ceremonies this year which means …”

“…. it’s going to start on time!” Lois said.

They walked downstairs, Clark picked up his keys from a small multi-colored wicker basket he had picked up in Brazil and Lois slipped a violet fringed shawl over her shoulders. She said, “Honey, since it’s been a year, don’t you think we should do a follow-up article on LexCorp? To show everyone how the company is faring since Luthor’s disappearance?”

Her husband nodded thoughtfully, “It might make for an appealing story. The business world in general is very pleased with the surprising turnaround. Especially considering the owner and chief stockholder was the criminal mastermind behind most, if not all of the biggest rackets in Metropolis.”

“The stockholders voted in the right woman for the job. Aykira Milan has worked hard to steer the company towards legitimacy.” Lois added.

“Maybe Ms. Milan will grant us an interview?” Clark said as they walked down the brownstone’s steps, a gentle September evening breeze caressed their faces. He couldn’t help but look at his lovely wife as they strolled towards the car. Was it possible she had become more beautiful since the day they wed? Yes, he thought with a happy inner smile, she was and no more so when she was starting a new investigation. The exciting prospects seemed to light her up from the inside and tumbled out in the form of boundless energy.

“She’s had time to grow into her role as CEO and with her organizational abilities she was able to pull the company back from the brink of disaster. Lex’s *extracurricular* activities nearly destroyed the corporation.” Lois said.

They reached the Jeep, so Clark opened the passenger side door for her and she slipped inside, she waited until Clark was behind the steering wheel before continuing. “OK, whether we win a Kerth together or not, let’s write another article on LexCorp, Aykira Milan’s accomplishments should be the focus.”

They were both silent for a few moments while Clark deftly steered the Jeep from their quiet street onto Saturday evening traffic.

Lois sighed and said, “Imagine public reaction if they discovered where Lex has been for the past year. It would make a fascinating story; attempted murder, family reunited, corporate misdeeds and finally a criminal brought to justice.”

“Kryptonian justice.” Clark said flatly. His tone implying he still had mixed feelings about Lex Luthor living out his days on New Krypton. He would have preferred that Lex stand trial for his crimes on *this*, his home planet. But considering the thorny problem of the fact that Lex knew Superman’s real identity, the former billionaire had to remain on his family’s new homeworld forever.

Lois took his hand and squeezed it gently, “Jor-El did what was best for all of us. The First Lord of New Krypton was not about to let anyone harm his son. It’s what parents do Honey, protect their children.”

He returned her touch with a gentle squeeze of his own. “I know,” he whispered softly.

Since reuniting with his father Jor-El, Clark had made frequent visits to his family’s home. His stepmother Josca, his brothers and adorable little sister Kirana made him welcome. He had met members of the council and visited the many farms and industries the New Kryptonians were creating to survive on their new home world.

The New Kryptonians had also welcomed him – if not with the same enthusiasm as his family, at least with the warmth of a prince returned to his people. There was some speculation that Zara would be forced to end her marriage to General Ching and wed Prince Kal-El.

There was also the question as to whether Sor-El would have to give up his right of succession now that his older brother had returned.

Jor-El quickly put a stop to that. After conferring with the council of Elders, he made a planet-wide announcement that although Kal-El was of the royal line he had renounced all claims to the title of First Lord. He is a citizen of Earth, therefore Sor-El’s accession was assured and that in view of his marriage to Lois, the birth marriage to Zara was annulled.

Of course to make everything completely right in the eyes of Kryptonian law, Trey had insisted Lois and Clark exchange Kryptonian marriage vows in front of the nobility of New Krypton. This would put an end to all speculation that Clark would lay any future claims to his brother’s position since he had chosen a human as his lifemate.
Afterwards, Clark, with Lois at his side, made visits to New Krypton at least once a month. Once she acquired the powers of Ultra Woman, the need to wear light weight armor in order to survive New Krypton’s harsher gravity was no longer necessary.

It was an adjustment for Clark to refer to the tall, intense scientist/soldier/statesman as his father. Over the course of the past year the two men worked to develop first a friendship and then to become Father and son.

The one thing Clark did not do was visit Lex Luthor, each time he had stepped into the blue light and made the journey across countless light years he wanted to but held back. Somehow visiting the former billionaire in his lavish prison accommodations seemed wrong.

“Earth to Clark. Earth to Clark, come in!” A familiar voice brought him back to his adopted homeworld.

“Sorry, my mind was wandering again.”

“On New Krypton?” His wife asked.

The Jeep stopped at a redlight; he turned, gazing into Lois’ brown eyes. The happiest day of his life was when she blew into Perry’s office during his interview, all fire and determination. Since then they had become best friends, partners and eventually husband and wife. Understanding each other so intimately that each always sensed when the other was troubled.

“Yeah, I was thinking about Luthor.”

“Ah, thought so.” Lois said, nodding her head sagely.
He sighed deeply and said, “Yeah, but let’s not dwell on it tonight. This evening is to enjoy and hopefully to celebrate.” He gave her hand an encouraging squeeze. The mood lightened considerably within the Jeep and both of them relaxed.

Although he couldn’t see it in the dark, but Lois was smiling as she said, “Speaking of celebrating, it completely slipped my mind, Bernie called with good news; he went to Lazar’s Jeweler’s and picked up Abrihet’s ring.”

All thought of Lex Luthor’s imprisonment vanished from Clark’s mind and a warm, sunny smile brightened his face. “Really? When is he flying to Paris?”

“Tonight. He’s planning on asking her to marry him as soon as he can think of a place that’s romantic enough; it seems that, the Eiffel Tower doesn’t even make the list.” Lois said, barely suppressing a giggle.

“The Eiffel tower is not romantic enough? Please don’t tell me he’s going to propose in one of the Sorbonne’s laboratories or even worse, a conference room!”

His wife gave up and started snickering, “Don’t underestimate conference room proposals, my friend Jocelyn received an eloquent one while pouring her boyfriend’s coffee. Bernie’s been very patient, he’ll pick an excellent locale and it’ll be romantic enough for both of them.

PARIS

“Thank you for flying Air France.” The flight attendant said over the plane’s PA system. “The captain informs me we shall be starting our descent to Roissy-Charles de Gaulle Airport in twenty minutes. Please return to your seats.”

Bernie strapped himself into the seat and for what seemed like the thousandth time, touched his breast pocket. The simple black box was where it had been only minutes before. Again, he breathed a sigh of relief. Yesterday, Mr. Lazar had presented him with the ring. It was the perfect representation of the jeweler’s art. With its precise geometrical cuts it was not unlike a mathematical formula, just the thing for his purposes.

This trip to Paris would be quite different from any other he had made over the past year.

Hours later after a picnic lunch of grilled chicken sandwiches provided in a dans un bistro, Bernie and Abrihet strolled arm in arm on the Pont Des Arts Bridge, the soft echoes of their footfalls against the wooden planks touched their ears. Bernie struggled to keep any trace of nervousness or excited anticipation out of his voice. The sun had just started in its afternoon descent; he might have felt the effects of an early autumn chill were it not for the excellent sweater Aykira had knitted for him last year.

He had chosen this bridge because of its well-earned reputation as one of most romantic in Paris. They had joined street performers, painters, and other loving couples to stroll to the middle of the bridge to take in the view of the Louvre, the Ile de la Cite, and Notre Dame from one of the most quixotic vantage points in Paris. He was certain his beloved would never suspect a thing.

Suddenly Abrihet said, “Sometimes on beautiful days like this, my thoughts wander to my home city …”

“Have… have you ever wanted to return to Lagos?” Bernie asked, a dance of fear going through his heart. Surely she was not thinking of leaving him and returning to Nigeria?

Silence, warm and nurturing as an embrace caressed them as they walked. Abrihet wrapped her arms around the mustard colored jacket he had picked out for her and answered, “Have I ever wanted to go back? To see old friends or to experience a shortcut in time and become the young girl who loved Shakespeare and books? No. Going to university opened the world of science and art like a delicate rose. Despite a lack of many things, such as a steady supply of electricity, suddenly my academic life was without limits. The beckoning of those worlds and the burning desire to explore them gave me the courage to break tradition and defy my family’s wishes. But it still does not mean I do not miss my home city.”

She seldom spoke of her past like this before. He was keenly aware that it gave some pain. For her to speak of it now took an inner strength most individuals lacked.

“Vrai. Although some of my family is now willing to speak with me, returning home is still out of the question. My parents are still… disappointed in me. Nonetheless, my life is full here, but one most ever be willing to take on change. My twin passions sustain me wherever I go.” A loving expression played over her dark features as she took his hand and squeezed it. “As well as a certain scientist.”

A rush of excited anticipation tapped Bernie’s heart and he thought, My boy, there will never be a better moment …live it!

He stopped in the middle of the bridge, carefully placed his left hand on the railing and gingerly bent down on his left knee. With his other hand he took Abrihet’s who was too startled to speak. The words were of course in French, but this was not a practiced speech, but words that flowed like a rushing white capped river from a loving heart.

{"Pendant longtemps, j'ai été un homme de science, et parfois je ne m'intéressais à rien d'autre. Jusqu'à ce qu'une femme, une belle femme, dont la peau a la couleur profonde de l'ambre, vienne éclore dans ma vie comme une fleur exceptionnelle, m'apportant chaleur, lumière et aventure. Elle m'a fait découvrir la peinture, la scuplture et la musique... des formes d'art à adorer. Toutefois, aucune peinture à contempler, aucune sculpture à toucher, aucune musique à écouter ne sont aussi précieuses que l'amour qu'elle a apporté dans ma vie"}

“For many years I have been a man of science, sometimes to the absence of all else. Until a beautiful woman with skin of deepest amber bloomed like a rare flower into my life, bring warmth, light and adventure. She introduced me to paintings, sculpture and music … art forms to be adored. Nonetheless, no painting can I see, no sculpture could I touch or music to hear can be as precious as the love she has brought into my life.”

He removed from the pocket of the burgundy sweater a small black box and opened it to reveal a square cut sapphire surrounded by small white diamonds and a quarter carat diamond on each side in a yellow gold setting.

[...] "Maintenant, mon amour, laisse-moi me joindre à toi dans la valse de nos vies. Je t'en prie, accepte-moi pour mari! Et toi, veux-tu être ma femme?"}

“Now dearest, let me join in the dance of our life, please accept me as your husband and you …will you be my wife?” His voice cracked at those last words.

“Oui Bernhard! Oui!” Abrihet began to actually giggle like a young girl, so great were the feelings that thrilled through her body.

Before either of them knew it, Bernie had carefully slipped the engagement ring on her finger; the gems sparkled in the light of the afternoon sun’s rays, brilliant with promise.

A few hours later, back in Bernie’s apartment the couple sat on a large, cushiony russet colored couch sipping strawberry tea and talking merrily.

“When do you want to get married?” Bernie breathed.

“Soon. I will contact the administration office and let them know of my future change in marital status. If they do not allow me to be a guest lecturer, I will hand in my démission effective immediately. A transoceanic relationship is one thing, but a marriage cannot survive the stresses long distance creates. We should share our lives every day, not one week every two months. Can you see us asking either of our super friends to ferry us across the Atlantic whenever possible? How long can that last?”

Bernie sputtered in amazement, he thought that surely she would want to remain in Paris and continue teaching at the Sorbonne. “But …but on the bridge you said your life is here.”

She played with the ring, only two hours on her finger and already it had become an integral part of her. “Vrai. I live in Paris, but my heart and mind are with you. Hopefully the administrators will allow me to become a guest lecturer just as you did. It is not yet time for the students to return so the class transition can be handed over to another. There are several good candidates for such a position.”

“I …I don’t know what to say. No one has ever given up so much for me.” He said quietly.

“Yes, but I’ve contemplated this matter quite deeply and one of us must be willing to make the adjustment. I loved Lagos and my feelings for this city are the same, but change can be good. Besides, Metropolis holds its own attractions, being away from the demands of teaching will allow me to finish my book on Medieval Metals and I can write there without scholarly distractions.”

Her fiancé wiggled his eyebrows and teased, “Oh? What about other distractions?”

“Ah oui! There is an exception to every rule mon cheri!”

Bernie cupped her face in his hands, again marveling at the contrast in their skin color. A year’s time had only served to deepen his love, respect and desire for this brilliant woman. Their lips met, he tasted the strawberry champagne tea on her tongue, as she returned his caresses in kind. His arms wrapped around her body and he held her, wanting, daring for more. They broke the kiss and looked at each other, eyes darkening with passion.

“We are getting married at the end of October!” They said simultaneously and then burst into fits of laughter.

“Since we both live near the Sorbonne which is in the 5ème arrondissement we should be married in the place du Panthéon at the townhall.” Abrihet’s said excitedly.

Reluctantly, Bernie got up and consulted his leather bound planner. Since his relationship with Abrihet had began this simple book held the structure of his life. Flipping pages he said, “I should check with the townhall’s schedule, but if they are fine with Saturday, October 25th than that is the day we exchange vows!”

“Perfect. "La publication des bans" must be posted on October 15th.”

He looked at her with a quizzical expression. "La publication des bans"?

She nodded, “Oh yes that is right, there is still so much you do not know about certain wedding customs in France. The bans is a publication posted on an official sign in front of the place du Panthéon. It must be posted ten days prior to the wedding date.”

He beamed, understanding completely. Kissed her again and said,
“Great! We should start calling people! Sweetheart, I have never been happier!”

METROPOLIS: LEXCORP

A stylishly dressed black woman sat at a reproduction of a French writing desk in Lex Luthor’s former office. The room was now painted in a dark shade of azure blue with accents of fresh gray. A few key pieces brought from her former office in Kansas City such as her desk, cream colored leather chair, and white floating shelves transformed the masculine den into a business woman’s efficient, yet comfortable work space.

Previously, the room had been decorated with antique weapons such as guns, Alexander the Great’s sword and armor from numerous European Estates. As no one really knew what happened to the billionaire and since she could not abide working in such a museum, everything was given to the Metropolis Museum on loan.

Almost everything except; Alexander the Great’s sword remained on display as well as a bust of Shakespeare. These items were a constant reminder of how quickly one’s life circumstances could alter. One minute Lex was leading his global empire, the next he had vanished. Leaving behind a bewildered and badly frightened board of directors to clean up the negative media storm that had arisen once The Daily Planet accused Luthor of plotting to assassinate one of its top reporters.

The only problem for Lex was, should he return, his possessions, business and life were no longer his to artfully conceal from the public eye. He would be sitting down and enduring long conversations with government officials and the Metropolis police just for starters, and then in-depth interrogations with the FBI and Interpol. He would be fortunate to emerge from those confrontations with a pencil to call his own, much less priceless art treasures

She turned back to the monitor, studying the latest version of the annual report to be presented to LexCorp’s Board of Directors at the end of the week. The report would show everything she had accomplished since taking over the duties of the international company’s day to day operations.

One year.

One year since the empire builder Lex Luthor had just vanished prior to his being discovered as the criminal mastermind of Metropolis. A global manhunt had ensued which yielded nothing. None of his bank accounts, stocks or investments had been touched. The luxurious villa on the isle of Santrini remained empty. The mysterious billionaire had vanished into the ether as if he had never existed. Like the infamous disappearance of Judge Crater, it was an enigma that would baffle law enforcement agencies – and the underworld for years to come.

Aykira Milan contemplated the events which brought her to this point.
One year since the Board of Directors plucked her out of the Recycling and Waste Management division in Kansas City to run LexCorp itself. Lex sentenced her to that division as punishment because she had turned down the offer of becoming his lover. Dominique Cox took that station and promptly betrayed him to Intergang. It never ceased to amaze Aykira that Lex allowed that woman to remain in Metropolis. As matters turned out it would have been wiser for her to leave. The police pulled her into their dragnet as an accessory to a number of Lex’s criminal activities.

The exile turned into a blessing in disguise. Within two years she had taken a division which had been a financial embarrassment and turned it around and made it a powerful profit center. She had rooted out the corrupt management staff who embezzled funds, the employees who were taking up space and replaced them with people who knew their jobs and wanted to work.

It was precisely for those reasons that she was back in Metropolis. She was untainted by Lex’s corruption and had a proven track record for getting the job done. LexCorp was in the center of a public relations nightmare, who better to take over the helm than someone who had suffered from Lex’s treatment only to come back stronger?

Her only regret was leaving some really good people in Kansas City, especially her buddies; Kendra Parks a lawyer and Helen Voss a CPA. From the moment she had arrived, the trio hit it off. The three of them had closed more than their fair share of discos and dance spots. Since her return to Metropolis, not a week went by when they did not talk to one another or send lengthy e-mails. They had been her unofficial sounding boards when it came to her corporate rescue strategies.

Thoughts of the immediate moves she had put into play came to mind: a carefully crafted PR campaign, vetting of some of the company’s old guard and becoming completely transparent was the tip of the iceberg. LexCorp has paid out millions in SEC and government sanctions and for the next five years were under the scrutiny of the Superman Foundation.”

She sighed and said aloud. “If he hadn’t been so greedy and demanding, his empire would not be in this situation and eventually I would have come to him on *my* terms. Lex has a certain dangerous charisma that was wildly attractive to her, despite his arrogance. Who knows where they would have ended up if he had practiced a modicum of patience?”

Dwelling on the ultimate fate of her former employer and his past actions were blown aside as if they were soap bubbles. The here and now had more than enough matters to keep her occupied. Perhaps when the report was finished she would go to the gym and take part in a fencing class, her back and leg muscles were getting tight from sitting too long.

Her slender brown fingers flipped open a green folder, within was the proposal to change the name of the company. Names as diverse as PhoenixCorp to something called Paragem. She shook her head in annoyance thinking that the last one sounded more like a disease than a company. Best to shelve the idea for another time when the suits in legal start pushing for it.

Right now she needed to contact her old friend and new Department head of IT. Radames Perez was the only person in the department she trusted when it came to sifting though Lex’s old e-mails.

NEW KRYPTON: LEX LUTHOR’S QUARTERS

Lex sat in his favorite chair and thought; it has been a full Earthyear since I have been here, three hundred and sixty-five days. What a strange, terrible and wonderful year indeed.

His first days had been strange; filled with anger and frustration. The only faces he saw were those of his jailers. The chief warder Zod was of course an irritant, always demanding they talk about the planet’s defenses. He sold weapons and defense systems to the United States Department of Defense, but he had no idea what happened to them once they departed the warehouse.

As the days marched on living in the elegant apartment and learning about Kryptonian civilization became more than a mere pastime. He developed a healthy respect for the culture and what they had achieved over the past two thousand years. When Mansa Musa built his grand palace in Timbuktu, around the Earthyear 1325, Kryptonian spacecraft was just beginning to pierce the barriers of their solar system.

Their medicine was so advanced that Lex now considered Earth doctors to simply practice the medical arts on much the same level as a kindergartener practices watercolors. His best example of that was his suit: Originally a clunky, articulated armor he rarely put on, yet in a matter of weeks, it had been slimmed down and although rough at the joints made forays outside of his apartments comfortable and even enjoyable.

Terrible was the time when Zod, or rather Dru-Zod as he insisted on being called, guarded him. At first his warder played cruel mental games or used his superior strength to strike him, knowing full well Lex was powerless to strike back. His ability to make character assessments told him Zod could be useful in helping him to escape. It was essential to be the model prisoner and tell the soldier whatever he wanted to know.

Even if some of the information was sometimes a lie to throw him off the track.

Dru-Zod wanted to overthrow the House of El and establish his own kingdom in its place. But to do that he wanted to get to Planet Earth, subdue its people and use them to eventually overrun New Krypton.

First they had to kill or capture the First Lord’s son and his wife.

The warder was always a little vague as to how he intended to do that. No matter how carefully Lex couched his words even the vaguest outlines of a plan were kept strictly hidden away. One conclusion Luthor did reach; Captain Dru-Zod had no clue as to the existence of Kryptonite.

After three months the spacious silken quarters, no matter how luxurious, began to constrict and became what they were… a cage. He needed something beyond Kryptonian history data crystals and stilted conversations with his warders to keep his mind sharp and alive. As chief warder, such a complaint would be lost on Zod, so he pleaded with one of the younger guards if it would be possible for him to have something to do outside his quarters.

The response to this query surprised him. Within a few days Jor-El, the First Lord himself, entered the chambers wearing a black jumpsuit emblazoned with the familiar El family crest. This was the first time they had met since he had thrown Lex into the blue light aperture which sent him to New Krypton.

He felt soiled and unkempt in his stiff brown coverall, a far cry from the meticulously tailored Saville Row suits he previously wore. Originally he kept his hair cut short in the style of Earth. But in time Lex allowed his dark brown hair, now streaked with gray to grown long in a style similar to his warders. It suited him, especially since he had nowhere to go.

But standing in front of New Krypton’s ruler it was a stark reminder of all that was forever beyond his grasp.

Jor-El sat down on a chair, invited Lex to do the same, set his cool silvery blue gaze upon him and without preamble said, “What is it you want Mr. Luthor? Are we not providing you with comfort and ease?”
Months of redundancy caused him to speak with more emotion than he wanted, “This enforced idleness will drive me insane, my life must have purpose!”

Unruffled, the other man said, “What do you wish me to do?”

Lex stood and advanced on him, the Sapphire guard that accompanied Jor-El came between the two men, brandishing a large sword. He stood still, took a deep breath and remembering the man before him held his life in his hands and spoke with the eloquence of language favored by the nobility, “My Lord Jor-El, I request a duty, task or job, something … anything to occupy myself.”

Jor-El regarded him unperturbedly, “Josca has kept me informed of your progress in learning our ways. She is most pleased, as am I. New Krypton is twice the size of Earth and yet the population is no more than one hundred million people. Everyone is needed to perform labor or develop a skill. In truth, keeping you under constant guard like this is a waste of manpower.”

The relief on Lex’s face was genuine. “I …I can leave this polished dungeon?” Than that relief vanished. “But how? The gravity of this world will kill me.”

With an easy wave of a hand Jor-El said, “Wearing a special suit with goggles and breather such as my daughter-in-law Lois once wore will allow freedom of movement. There are a number of ‘tasks’ which require an extra set of unskilled hands.”

“Wait, Lois Lane-Kent ‘used’ to wear a suit that allowed her to survive here? How often has she come to New Krypton? What happened to change that?”

The First Lord was a first baffled and then realized the prisoner was not kept aware of the goings on of the royal family. “Several months ago, she acquired superpowers like Kal-El’s and is now biologically a Kryptonian. Hence, the suit is no longer required. It is a very good thing to. Lois was unhappy living within such constraints, if she is unhappy than Kal-El will not visit as often. So it was a relief for all of us when Lois went through this unexpected metamorphosis.”

“I see.” Lex said softly. "Now two super beings roam Planet Earth."

“Now, let me be perfectly crystal about this change in your status Mr. Luthor. No matter how well you perform the job, no matter how much goodwill you accumulate among your workmates, they will in effect be your warders, returning to planet Earth and your former life is impossible. This is home now.”

The prisoner scoffed. “Escape? I don’t even know how I got here!”

An enigmatic smile played softly over Jor-El lips, he said. “How indeed. Consider the situation, prudently. On Earth you have committed dozens of crimes, both great and small. According to Kal-El, there is considerable evidence that a man named Nigel St. John was your personal assassin. These crimes are punishable by death if you returned.”

Lex bowed and said with the barest hint of mockery, “Yes, well I have you and the council to thank for my ‘continued existence’”.

Jor-El’s eyes narrowed, the stern voice which escaped from his throat belied his compassion. “I have not forgotten about the man Snow. Do not test my patience otherwise you will remain in this prison forever and even the guards who watch you shall be gone, replaced by electronic servers.”

They held one another’s gaze for a time, silver blue steel, studying obsidian depths. Than Lex Luthor, once famed captain of industry, lowered his eyes and nodded, acknowledging his defeat. “I …I would not wish that my Lord Jor-El.”

“Good. Arrangements have been made for you to work on a collective or what Terrans refer to as a farm. Be ready at first light.” With that Jor-El stood, turned and exited, the Sapphire guard fell behind him, not giving Lex a backwards glance.

When the door closed and the locks slammed into place, Zod stepped out of his hiding place. “Good, Lex. I especially like his ‘witty’ comment about the servers. Jor-El likes to think of himself as a fair man. The first part of my plan is in motion. Getting that suit will allow you to survive long enough to get to the transport beam.”

“When shall we leave?” The meeting with Jor-El had been unnerving, Lex was eager to get off New Krypton and back to his own world.

“Patience Mr. Luthor, patience. Time must go by before we can make our next move. There are matters which require my attention in order for my plan to take shape and it is important for you to acclimate yourself to the suit and develop goodwill.”

“Goodwill? Those Sapphire guards are the elite and the gray guards that watch me have never slackened their hands. How long before enough ‘goodwill’ accumulates for that to happen?”

Zod smiled an expression that both assured and sickened Lex. Was that how he once was? A man so sure of his destiny he trampled on the rights of others without a thought? “New Krypton is a planet of small cities and farms. There is no doubt our esteemed leader will send you someplace that is isolated from the large population areas. But close enough to your quarters that transportation will not prove to be a problem. You my dear Lex, are going to learn about grubbing around in the dirt. Isn’t it ironic? Jor-El’s son was raised by farmers and now his greatest enemy is going to become one.”

Tired of Dru-Zod bravado, Lex said wearily, “Will this plan of yours succeed?”

“We shall succeed because we were meant to! The people of New Krypton must branch out to other worlds if they are to survive.”

Lex responded in a laconic manner, “Don’t you mean that the people of New Krypton will conquer new worlds, under your command?”

Thinking back over those days Zod had been right. The warders eventually eased their watch over him. Now it was simply a matter of time before Zod’s plan came into play. Except now after nearly a wonderful year of working on the farm among native Kryptonians, Lex’s thoughts and emotions were in chaos, making him reluctant to leave.

Last edited by Morgana; 03/31/15 08:15 AM. Reason: Grammar and line breaks

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.