Band of Blue TOC

Disclaimer: From chapter 33 onwards there are chances of certain phrases and situations coming almost directly from The Death and Life of Superman novel. In each chapter there could be anything from a couple of words (phase) up to whole choreographed scenes. I do not claim these as my own work, but have just inserted them into my narrative. Some of these may not even be noticeable to someone who has read the book, and especially to those who have never read it (why have you not read it?). Still I would not wish to claim that these words were mine when someone far better than me penned them years ago.

Chapter 35

“My son. There is an intruder. You must deal with her.”

Clark found that his senses were immediately assaulted with new information. The training light had disappeared only to be replaced by real world information. It’s all back, he thought. Focussing his hearing he picked up on the sound of movement and quiet muttering.

“Krypton?” came the confused sound of a young woman. He stared around and through the crystals till he noticed a young lady dressed in a skimpy blue top and shorts. She had long, flowing blonde hair and long, tall red boots. Something about the outfit looked ... familiar. He sped to intercept her.

Coming to a sudden stop in her direct path she staggered backwards and then looked up into his face. Her eyes widened and then she glanced up and down, taking in his attire. “Jor-El?” she said, confused.

“Who are you?” Clark asked, not responding to the name. How does she know that name and why would she think that I was Jor-El? Why didn’t she call me Superman?

“You,” she stuttered. “You’re not Jor-El, but you look like him. And you wear the crest of El.”

Clark stepped back. “What do you know of the crest of El?” He narrowed his eyes a little.

She raised her arm and held out her wrist. He looked closer and noticed a metal bracelet. Inscribed centrally was the familiar ‘S’ shield.

“Who are you?” he asked again, this time with an incredibly confused tone. “Why are you here?”

“I heard the Kryptonian signal. I don’t know how. I don’t know what it means. I was just drawn here.” She stepped around him and looked up. “How is this here? A piece of Krypton ... on Earth?” She turned back to look at him.

“What do you know of Krypton?” Clark asked warily.

“It’s my home. I need to go back once I have found Kal-El.” She turned to wander off again, obviously stunned to find a part of Krypton here. She knew she was on Earth, but how did she get here?

“Kal-El?” questioned Clark. She nodded. “I’m Kal-El.”

“Don’t be ridiculous. Kal-El is a chubby little baby who laughs when you tickle his feet.”

“You know ... er knew me ... on Krypton?”

“Wait,” she paused and scanned him up and down again. “You really are Kal-El. How is that possible?”

“I really am Kal-El. Who are you?”

“I’m Kara Zor-El. My father is Jor-El’s brother.”

Clark stepped back, stunned. “Cousin, your my ... cousin.”

“I guess so.” She looked at him again. “How ... how is this possible? I left Krypton only minutes after your ship. I should have arrived here soon after you.”

“I’m not sure. Maybe we should ask Jor-El.”

“He’s here? Is Aunt Lara with him?” Kara’s voice became excited and her smile lit up her face. It changed her whole look.

Clark studied her carefully. If she left Krypton only minutes after me and expected to find me still a baby then she might not know what happened to Krypton. She’s going to be devastated.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Oliver Queen was sitting in his private room; the one behind the hidden panel. He tinkered away with the pulley system on his bow, tightening a screw here, loosening one there. He squeezed a blob of oil onto the mechanism and pulled it back, testing the resistance.

“Nice. Now I just need a reason to use it.” He glanced up at the monitors all around. They were displaying real-time images from around the city; zoomed in surveillance from his satellites. It was a slow day. “And that’s a good thing, Ollie,” he told himself. “The whole point of this is to make the world a safer place.”

He stood up and strolled around. He had itchy feet. It felt like he should be doing something. It felt too quiet. He walked up to one monitor and fiddled around with the settings. Zooming out a little he began to see the surrounding countryside. Metropolis became just a clutter of dark buildings. A sense of impending doom came over him as he reached to the left and turned up the volume on the police frequency. Why do I feel so dreadfully nervous? Everything is quiet. He looked back to the monitor. Too quiet.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

“No!” Kara’s brow was crinkled. “No! That’s not possible.” She turned to look at Clark and he saw the intense pain in her eyes. “Krypton can’t be gone.”

“I’m sorry Kara,” Clark spoke softly. “It’s true. You and I are the only survivors, and it seems that you were stuck in hypersleep for twenty years.”

She turned away but not before Clark saw a tear fall, her eyes wide in shock, her mouth open but no sound coming out. “Father, Mother, Aunt Lara ... even Jor-El. They’re all gone.” Clark reached out a hand and placed it on her shoulder, comfortingly. She turned back round. “I’d always heard of a Doomsday scenario but I never thought they’d actually do it.” She shook her head. “How could we let this happen? Krypton was supposed to be enlightened.” Clark watched Kara turn back to the crystal console. She shouted out into the air, just as he would do when addressing his father. “Jor-El. You knew didn’t you? That’s why you sent Kal-El here. My father thought you were mad which is why he sent me to bring him back.” Her voice quieted. “You knew,” she sobbed and then dropped to her knees.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Ollie turned suddenly when the police scanner burst to life.

“All units in the area of Route 5 attend accident scene. All units. Explosion at Tanner Farm. Multiple casualties reported. Be on alert. A survivor reported giant, grey, bony monster as present. Repeat. Giant, grey, bony monster in the vicinity. Presume dangerous.”

Ollie rushed up to his monitors and tried to find the location with his satellite. What he saw chilled him to the bone. The farmhouse mentioned in the report had been splintered into a pile of wood. There was devastation all around. Was the report correct? A monster did this? He tried to search with his computer but couldn’t find sign of any monster. When he zoomed out, though, something became apparent. There was a trail of devastation ... ripped up vegetation, knocked down buildings, crushed cars ... and it was in a straight line heading for Metropolis.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Chloe and Lois talked honestly and truthfully. The revelation that they were both privy to Clark’s true identity made the conversation flow naturally. And Chloe was delighted at her cousin’s engagement, although a little concerned at how quickly it had come about. Chloe had promised to stand by Lois over the next seven years as she tried to stay strong for Clark. Lois had hugged her tightly. There had been many tears. Now they had relaxed and were discussing mundane things.

Chloe studied Lois as she gestured while making a joke. She’s never seemed so happy, and so sad, at the same time. It’s just so weird. She reached out to pick up her drink but turned when her phone rang. Smiling in apology to Lois she twisted to be able to grab it from the table.

“Hello.”

“Watchtower needed pronto. How quick can you get here?” Chloe heard the urgency in Ollie’s voice and was instantly on alert.

“Um,” she turned to look at Lois, “I’m at home ... in Smallville. It’s a two hour drive.”

“Ok. That’s not quick enough. Is Boy Scout around?”

“Um, no.” She replied. “And he may not be contactable.” Chloe looked into Lois’s eyes feeling her questions in the air.

“Then I’ll have to send Impulse for you.”

“What’s so urgent, Ollie?” Chloe nearly banged her own head on the table when she realised she’d just called him Ollie in front of Lois. Plus he’d been using codenames the whole conversation.

“Possible extra-terrestrial monster on the loose. We could really use the big guns.”

“I really don’t think that’s possible. If you get Impulse to fetch me AND a guest I’ll be able to explain why.”

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Bart dropped Chloe off directly in front of Ollie then sped off again.

“So, who’s this mystery guest, Chloe, and are you sure it’s safe?” he asked

“Yes, she’s my cousin, and she already knows about Clark,” Chloe replied.

“Well if you trust her ... and I guess you must,” he turned away only to stop when a whoosh planted a pair of shapely legs in front of him.

“Whoa, legs,” smiled Oliver and his gaze travelled upwards to be met by an unexpected face. “Lois Lane!”

“Mr Queen,” she nodded at him, shaking. Steadying herself she turned to Chloe. “How do you get used to that?”

Chloe grinned. “That was my first time too.”

“So you do know about Clark. I was right. That’s why you got the Superman interview.”

Lois turned to him and frowned. “No.” She shook her head. “I didn’t know then, but Clark could hardly write an objective, un-biased article about himself and he knew me to be a truthful journalist.”

“Huh!” Oliver gave a little laugh. “So when did you find out?”

“Officially ... from Clark ... last night when we, uh, got together.” Oliver noticed a blush creeping up Lois’s neck. Go for it Clark, he thought. “But I actually had it figured out a few weeks ago.”

Ollie heard the screen door behind open and turned to see Chloe heading into the surveillance room. Another whoosh deposited A.C next to him and then Bart was gone once more.

“What am I looking for Ollie?” asked Chloe.

“Godzilla apparently. Uh, a big, grey, bony monster. I found part of its trail of destruction but haven’t been able to locate it.”

“Wait, a monster. Hold on what is this?” Lois stepped around Oliver and looked up into the open room. “I get why Chloe would know about Superman but how do you?” she turned back and pointed at him.

“Superman and I ... well, we share a past time.”

“Ollie, don’t be coy,” called out Chloe. He and Lois turned to look at her. She was tapping away on the array of computers. “Just tell her. It’s gonna be difficult to deal with her constant questions, especially when more of the League start showing up.” He stared at her and his mouth dropped open in surprise. “Oh, and I’ve found the monster.”

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The Justice League launched its attack less than ten minutes later. The monster was on the outskirts of the city. It had levelled a few farms and buildings on its way over the countryside and was now looking at the skyline of the bustling Metropolis.

Bart ran round in circles kicking up as much dust as possible. Cyborg landed hard metal punches on its jaw. Green Arrow fired taser darts. It didn’t work. The miniature cyclone didn’t sweep the monster off its feet. The punches didn’t dent even one bony protrusion. The darts bounced of the leathery skin.

Watchtower directed a second attack. Green Arrow tried stronger arrows. Aquaman added water into the mix to create a muddy quagmire. Zatanna spoke binding spells. It didn’t work. The arrows continued to shatter and drop. The mud was flung back through the air to AC. Zatanna found herself punched in the larynx and unable to speak.

Chloe tried to rally the troops for a third wave. Manhunter attempted a mental contact. Canary screamed inaudible wavelengths. Green Arrow threw in a gas canister. It didn’t work. The Martian fell to the floor in mental agony and frustration. Canary’s neck met the same fate as Zatanna’s. Green Arrow turned and ran.

“He’s finally noticed me on the rooftop,” he shouted into his com, leaping from building to building. Ollie had been firing from the rooftop shadows but his cover was blown. “He just took out Canary and then turned and leapt. He’s quite a jumper. Watchtower, we need Superman. He’s after me. They’re all down and now he’s after me.”

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Clark and Kara both stood in the beam of light. Information flew at them at an alarmingly fast rate. Science; logic; the Galaxy. Clark turned ever so slightly to look at the young girl next to him. She’d taken it remarkably well ... so far. Maybe this was the calm before the storm. Maybe the grief was still to come. Whatever, she was willing to train with him, to share in his destiny.

Suddenly the scenario cut off. “Kal-El. Kara. You must leave immediately.”

“Father?” Clark asked. “I don’t understand.”

“I have detected something disturbing. A doomsday monster is loose. This is most unexpected. You must travel to Metropolis immediately. The world is in danger. This monster has the capability to destroy everything.”

Clark turned to Kara and saw the shock he felt mirrored in her eyes. His was probably ten times more potent, though. Metropolis. Lois!

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Comments

KatherineKent/Victoria
Lois: "You put up with me for the same reason I put up with you. It's because I'm completely in love with you."
Clark: "And I love you ... Did we just make up?"
Lois: "I think so."