The Rival - Matchmaker Style

Rated PG-13

* * denotes emphasis
< > denotes thoughts
As always comments are welcome. (ken.janney@kjanney.com)

Previously:

Suddenly, from behind them, Linda swept in. She was wearing what had to be a designer original gown in Kryptonite green. As she approached she said, "Lois, what a surprise. You're Clark's date. What else do you do together?"

Clark said, "We are reporting partners and …"

"and we are married." Lois finished for him as she brought her left hand up and placed it on his arm so that her ring would be visible.

Linda was struck speechless and stood there with her mouth open, staring at Lois's ring.

Lois said, "You had better close your mouth before a fly enters."

Linda came out of her stupor and said, "You're serious? You're married? Wow."

Lois asked, "What happened, Linda, your date stand you up?"

Snapping out of it, Linda said, "Of course not. Follow me. I'll introduce you."

Lois hung onto Clark's arm, tightly, as they followed Linda through the crowd.

As they were moving through the crowd, Linda gave Lois another jab, "I love your dress, Lois. You're so lucky. I can never wear anything off the rack."

Lois started to bristle, but Clark placed a restraining hand on hers and whispered, "I love you in this dress. You are drop dead gorgeous."

Lois smiled and whispered, "As long as you like it, that's what counts."

He whispered back, "I see a lot of heads turning and they aren't looking at Linda. They're looking at you. I'm just glad you're mine."

"Forever."

He smiled and repeated, "Forever."

Finally, as they followed Linda, Clark tuned in with his super-hearing and heard Carpenter say, "Mister Secretary, this treaty between our country and Omir is a huge miscalculation. That country is run by terrorists. We must neutralize them, not legitimize them."

Secretary Wallace was appalled and he replied, "And you'd risk an all-out war, wouldn't you? I don't need your lectures, Mister Carpenter," and stormed off, insulted.

Lois and Clark were surprised when Linda led them directly to Preston Carpenter. When he noted their approach, Preston Carpenter's face lit up with pleasure. He said, "Linda," and turning to Lois and Clark said, "I am at a loss for words to describe her."

Lois quipped, "I can help there."

Ignoring her, Linda said, "Preston, I'd like you to meet Clark Kent, a reporter with the Daily Planet. And Lois Lane. His date. Clark, Lois, Preston Carpenter."

Clark corrected her, "Actually, we are a reporting team and we are also married."

Carpenter reached for Clark's offered hand and shook it as he said, "The Daily Planet was a fine paper in its day. Fine paper. But things change. That's the lesson of life now, isn't it? You either make it happen, or it happens to you."

As Carpenter finished speaking, the man behind him tapped him on the shoulder.

Clark noted that he was a compact, sullen looking, dour individual. He had an earring in his left ear that had a dangling figurine that looked like an Ankh.

Carpenter noted Clark's perusal and said, "Allow me to introduce my body-guard and chauffeur, Mr. Stark."

Stark leaned close and said, "The Mayor would like to have a moment with you."

Carpenter nodded and said, "Please excuse me."

As Preston walked away, Lois made a catty comment, "Well, now we know how you got your job."

Linda was about to make a retort when the band started another number. Clark stopped the conflict by saying, "Lois, I believe that you promised me this dance." He put his hand at the small of her back and led her to the dance floor.

And now:

Chapter 03

The next morning, Lois and Clark arrived late at the Planet. As they came out of the elevator; Lois noticed that Jimmy was reading a copy of the Star.

As Lois was putting her bag away, Jimmy looked up from his reading, and asked, "Where have you guys been?"

Lois replied, "Fire department. They think the hotel's a probable arson. I want you to get down there, get me some aftermath photos, investigators sifting through the rubble, that kind of thing." Spotting what he was reading, she accosted him, "Why are you reading that tabloid rag?"

"There's an article, with pictures, about Carpenter's Gala last night. You guys were there. I saw your pictures along with other ‘prominent' reporters. Wow, Lois, that dress was something! How was it?"

"Yeah, it was okay, but only because Clark and I were together. I need some good news for a change."

Jimmy put the paper down and said in an almost conspiratorial tone, "Then don't read the bulletin board."

Lois's interest was piqued, "Why?"

In a disappointed tone, Jimmy replied, "The paper's cut out expense accounts."

Lois was indignant, "They can't do that!"

"Just did. Memo says it's cost cutting due to lower circulation." His tone turned conspiratorial, "Perry thinks paid sick days are the next thing to go."

Lois's disappointment was obvious as she reached for her purse, looked over at Clark and said, "Come on, Clark. We're going to the Fudge Castle and you're buying."

"Are you sure you want to go there? I had another place in mind."

"Okay, I'll bite. Where?"

"I thought we'd go to the Tri-Crown. Since Lucy is now paying, well actually, Sam is paying the lease on your old apartment for Lucy, we can celebrate a little."

"Well, since you put it that way, why not?"

The Tri-Crown was an eatery on the ground floor of a high rise near the Planet. It specialized in the business lunch crowd.

When they arrive at the Tri-Crown they found it to be rather crowded, but Clark spotted a table with a couple of open seats and guided Lois in that direction.

As they approached, Lois thought that the blond head that she saw looked familiar. As Clark was addressing the blond, Lois finally got a look at her face, recognized it to be Linda and gasped.

Lois stepped back as if ready to bolt and said, "Clark, we can't sit here."

Clark looked around and said, "These are the only open seats in the entire place. Come on. What's it gonna hurt? Maybe you two should bury the hatchet."

She hissed in reply, "Only if it's in her skull."

He put his lips next to her ear and whispered, "Lois, I really don't know what this is all about, but I want you to remember one thing."

"What's that?"

"We're married. I'm yours … forever."

"Yeah, I know that."

"Whatever happened in the past is just that … in the past. Let's get past it and move ahead. Do it for me, okay?"

She looked up into his pleading eyes and relented, "I'll do it for you, but you owe me, big time, for this." She plastered a fake smile on her face and said, "Linda, how nice to see you again. Mind if we join you?"

Linda smiled up at them and said, "Please, join me."

Once they were seated, Linda started the conversation, "You know, I really hadn't read anything in the Planet. I was working in Florida before moving back to Metropolis. Clark, since you were kind enough to read my work, I've been reading some of yours. I'm impressed with you. I'm not easily impressed. I've been reading yours too Lois."

"Almost all of what we do is together."

Linda was still throwing little barbs at her old rival and said to Clark, "That says even more about your talent."

"Actually, Lois has taught me a lot."

"Did I hear you say that the two of you are married?"

Lois smiled and made sure that she flashed her ring as she said, "Yes, we are."

The conversation was interrupted by Linda's cell phone ringing. She pulled it out, flipped it open and said, "King ... I'm at the Tri-Crown." She nodded and closed her phone, severing the connection. She explained to Clark, "Carpenter. He likes to know where his reporters are at all times."

Clark was curious, "Don't you log out?"

Linda's reply was enlightening, "Sure. But nothing happens at the Star without Carpenter's say so. He's the most hands-on publisher I've ever worked for."

This was unusual, to say the least and Lois started to mull on it.

Clark continued the conversation, "The way the Star's been getting stories, I'd say it's working for him."

Linda didn't display any suspicion at all when she said, "We're just having a run of great luck."

Lois got an inkling that Clark was thinking along the same lines as her when he said, "It takes more than luck to be in the right place at the right time, so often."

Innocently or naively, Linda said, "I'd like to take credit, but truth be told, I only nailed that fire story because I happened to be covering a fashion show in the hotel when it broke out."

Suddenly they all heard sirens outside which drew their attention to the lobby of the building.

Snidely, Clark asked, "Something like this?"

Since Lois and Clark hadn't been served as yet they both jumped up and headed in that direction. Linda threw a couple of bills on the table and followed close behind.

To his retreating back, Linda replied, "Sort of."

As Lois and Clark, followed by Linda entered the lobby they saw a commotion near the elevators and headed that way.

Spotting the Fire Chief, Lois shouted, "Lois Lane, Daily Planet. What's going on?"

Without even turning he replied, "Cable broke on an elevator! The car's dangling on the seventy-first floor!" Turning to one of his men he asked, "How are you coming with the emergency key?"

He replied, "Have it in a minute, Chief."

Lois looked at Clark. He nodded and ducked away into the crowd.

Linda pushed her way up next to Lois.

Just as the fireman pulled the doors open the chief's two-way radio crackled to life and he shouted, "It's coming down!"

As the crowd started to react to this news a blue and red streak came in through the front doors, over the heads of the spectators and firemen and zipped into the elevator shaft disappearing up it as Superman moved to intercept the falling car.

Initially there was noise, the screams of the car passengers, the screech of the automatic brakes and the whine of the cable passing over the rollers above, but suddenly there was a profound silence which itself was eerie.

The chief literally risked his neck as he leaned in and looked up. If not for Superman the car could have decapitated him when he did, but flashing his light up the shaft he saw Superman below the car, supporting it and lowering it slowly.

Lois reached into her bag and grabbed her camera. She turned it on and it whined at her. She checked the indicator and saw that there was no film. She muttered, "Drat!" She wasn't going to be getting any pictures of this rescue.

When he approached, the chief stepped back. Through the open doors, Lois saw her husband, hands and arms extended above his head slowly floating downward until the floor of the elevator car was level with the lobby exit.

Seeing Lois with a camera in her hands, Linda was chagrined. Lois was going to scoop her. Then she saw Lois thrust her camera back in her bag in frustration. Linda knew that she needed to do something and as Superman passed the open doors, Linda snatched a camera from the hands of a bystander, said, "Give me that," and started snapping pictures. She said to the camera owner, "Stop by the Star office. I'll have them print off any shots you've already taken and give you back your negatives."

The firemen helped the passengers to alight. As soon as the car was empty, it sank from view as Superman lowered if gently to the bottom of the shaft.

A few seconds later, Superman made his appearance, floating up to and then stepping out through the doors.

The chief offered Superman his hand and said, "Thank you, Superman. You saved their lives."

Superman replied, "I'm glad I was around at the right time. I really need to go." With that he took off again and flew out the main doors.

As Superman flew off, Linda looked around and spotted Lois heading for the doors, presumably to call in her story. Linda started walking back to the Star, pulled out her cell phone and hit a speed dial number. When it was answered she said, "Vicki. Grab a pencil and paper …" She dictated her story. She finished with, "Tell the lab I will have a roll of film that they will need to rush. I want this story in the evening edition."

That evening, Stark entered Preston Carpenter's office in the Metropolis Star building. This office never failed to amuse him. He was a man of action and the ornate nature of the office actually gave him the creeps. As he entered, Carpenter sat relaxed amidst the luxurious decorations and plush carpet behind a Louis XIV desk. He was busy typing on a desktop computer.

Stark crossed the floor and dropped a newspaper on the desk. He said, "Evening edition."

Carpenter opened the paper to find a banner headline which read: "Miracle Save!" and immediately under it were two pictures, one of Superman supporting the elevator car as he lowered it and the other of him shaking hands with the Fire Chief.

After reading the story, Carpenter said, "Well done, Mr. Stark. Don't you just love the news business?"

Stark shook his head and said, "This one wasn't easy."

Carpenter said, "If they were easy I wouldn't need your services, would I?"

"The Planet had the story at the same time, but they didn't get the pictures."

"What? How did that happen?"

"A couple of their reporters happened to be there at the same time as King."

"We'll have to see to it that that doesn't happen too often, won't we?"

Stark cut to the chase, "How many more? The more we do the greater the chance that someone will tumble to what we are doing."

Carpenter sat back in his chair and said, "As many as it takes to kill the Planet. Because then Stark, I will control over eighty percent of what the American people read."

When he finished this statement, Carpenter stood and moved to a picture window overlooking Metropolis then he continued, "And when you control what they read, you control what they think." He clasped his hands behind his back and turned to face Stark, "And when you control what they think, you can really begin to make it happen." When he finished speaking he had a malevolent smile.

At the same time that Stark was showing Carpenter the evening edition, Perry White was calling his staff together. Once they were gathered in the conference room he held up copies of the Star and the Planet.

On the covers of both papers were stories about the elevator accident; however the Star had the Superman pictures to set it off while the Planet simply had the story. Most of the front page of the Planet had graphs showing the annual rainfall measurements.

Perry held up a paper in each hand and asked, "Now, who knows what's wrong with this picture?"

No one wanted to admit their failing, so silence reigned.

Perry wasn't happy with the prevailing silence and spoke as if he were instructing six-year-olds, "We have no picture, that's what's wrong! Superman's the biggest story of the day, and all we're leading with is a weather graph! Would someone please explain this to me?"

Jimmy decided that he, being almost low man on the totem pole didn't have that much to lose so he offered, "Well Chief, the first diagram illustrates the amount of rainfall we're getting this year, and the pie chart …" His voice faded into inaudibility as Perry glared at him.

Perry turned to Lois and challenged, "Lois, you were there and got the story. Why did you let the Star get the pictures that we needed."

Chagrined, Lois had to admit, "My camera was out of film. At least we weren't completely scooped."

"We might just as well have been. Without pictures we got nothing. It's because of this kind of thing that people are reading the Star. To the public in general it looks like the Star knows everything."

Jimmy piped up, "Bet they don't know how much rain we got this year."

Once again, Perry glared at Jimmy. This time it wasn't just his voice that faded, he faded into the background.

Perry wasn't finished yet, "People, I can assure you, if we don't come up with some solid page one stories PDQ, the only writing you'll be doing is your resumes!"

Suddenly a phone started to ring in the background and Jimmy moved to answer it, "Conference room."

Perry asked, "Well? Anybody got anything to say?"

Lois and Clark as well as the rest of the staff simply looked at each other and felt uncomfortable as Perry continued, "Oh, this is just great. I can see the next edition already. Under 'Today's Top News' we'll just print 'We haven't got a clue!' Just what in Sam Hill am I supposed to tell the Publisher if he calls?"

There was silence as Perry finished which Jimmy broke. He had his hand over the mouthpiece as he said, "Whatever it is, he's waiting to hear it on line one."

Perry sighed heavily and looked heavenward for strength. He made one final comment before he turned toward his office, "Just a warning, folks. I've seen papers shut down. It's not a pretty picture. Not pretty at all." With a dispirited air, Perry turned toward his office. He looked like a man on the way to the gallows.

Lois and Clark exchanged a look and then Clark picked up the copy of the Star. He started looking at the pictures. Something caught his eye and he slid his glasses down his nose so that he could use his microscopic vision.

Lois saw the move and knew exactly what it meant. She sidled up next to him and whispered, "What do you see?"

He looked around to make sure they weren't being observed and then pointed at a particular individual in one of the pictures. "I recognized this man. It's Stark. Carpenter's body guard."

Lois grabbed the paper and looked closely, "How can you tell? He's turned away from the camera."

"He has an earring with a dangling Ankh in his left ear. You can just see it."

"I'm glad you can because I sure can't. What would he be doing there?"

"That's what I'd like to know. Wait here. There's something I need to check."

"Okay, don't be gone too long though. There's no telling when Perry will finish and what news he will deliver."

Clark reached up and started to loosen his tie as he said, "I'll be right back." He turned and headed for the stairwell.

A few seconds later, Lois saw a red and blue streak go past the window and knew that Superman was on the job.

comments go here

TBC

Last edited by KenJ; 03/20/15 01:07 PM.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj