Band of Blue TOC

Disclaimer: From this point on (in fact I should have posted this disclaimer in the previous chapter too) there are chances of certain phrases and situations coming almost directly from The Death and Life of Superman novel. In each chapter there could be anything from a couple of words (phase) up to whole choreographed scenes. I do not claim these as my own work, but have just inserted them into my narrative. Some of these may not even be noticeable to someone who has read the book, and especially to those who have never read it (why have you not read it?). Still I would not wish to claim that these words were mine when someone far better than me penned them years ago.

Chapter 34

Clark was surrounded by light. Information streamed at him exceedingly fast, but he could process it without problem.

Jor-El must have returned my super-speed. He tentatively tried to lift off the floor but was disappointed. I guess only super-speed is needed to train. But ... I could still make it back to Metropolis in seconds.

“Son, you are distracted,” came the emotionless voice.

“I’m sorry, father. My mind keeps returning to ... home.” Clark paused before substituting the word home.

“This is your home, Kal-El.” Clark sighed in disappointment and acceptance. “You must purge your mind of these emotions and attachments. You are Kryptonian. These human emotions will only encumber you.”

“I have lived as a human for over twenty years, father. Emotions are a part of me. They make me who I am. They are what made me care enough to put on the suit. To become Superman.”

“As Earth’s protector you cannot afford to make mistakes and emotions are unstable. You must distance yourself so that you can make clear decisions.”

Clark found himself in a burning building. He could hear the flames, feel the heat, taste the ash. He coughed and turned round and round. How did I get here? Why am I here? He tried to draw in a breath to blow out the fire but ended up bent over with a wracking cough. Where are my powers? A faint cry came to him and he made his way down the corridor. Smoke filled the air but he pressed on looking for the source of the distressed voice. The crackling flames invaded his concentration but he eventually honed in on the sound; a small girl hiding under her bed. Clark pulled her out and jumped her into his arms. As he made his way down the steps he heard them creaking. He found it more and more difficult to keep from coughing and taking in too much smoke. As he passed a door way on the way down he noticed a number. This must be an apartment building and I’m on the fifteenth floor. Gotta keep going. As he descended he became aware of more shouts. He stood, conflicted, at the corner of a corridor and the stairs. Do I go down with this little girl? Do I look for these people? He turned backwards and forwards, his emotions warring within him until an especially clear cry came to him. “Clark. Help me Clark.” It was Lois. He shouted out to her. “Lois!” Running in the direction of the sound, still carrying the young child he searched desperately. No! Where is she? Why is she here in this strange apartment building? As he searched the smoke became thicker and the flames began to scorch his clothes. He coughed uncontrollably and dropped to his knees. The girl tumbled from his arms and rolled away, unconscious. Clark blinked trying to clear his vision but everything went black as he felt the building suddenly collapse.

“What? ... What was that?” Clark exclaimed.

“That was a test. You made decisions based on your emotions and everyone lost their lives, you included.”

“But ...”

Clark was in mid-air. Two planes were dropping, they must have crashed. Lois was on one, but which one. I have to save them both.

Clark was in the fortress; old and tired. The world needed him, but he didn’t care. The world was under attack by aliens but Lois was gone, he was alone. He didn’t care.

Clark was staring at a strange, manic, shackled man. He had the cure. Lois would not die. But he had to kill this laughing man to get the cure.

Clark was rolling stones down a hill to block an oncoming wall of water. He heard distant coughing and recognised it. “Lois!”

Clark was ...

“Stop, please just stop, Jor-El,” Clark pleaded with his father.

“You must learn to put away your emotions or you will struggle with the decisions you have to make; decisions which could affect thousands of lives.”

Thousands of lives. Yes. And in every one Lois was there ... with me. Clark smiled. Jor-El doesn’t realise that he has just restored my confidence, my hope. I know my true destiny and I know who it is with.

“I will learn to control my emotions, Jor-El but I cannot abandon them completely.”

“I hope, my son, that you will begin to think differently as we continue your training.”

Clark found himself back in the beam of light with the Kryptonian symbols flying around. After what seemed like hours the stream was cut off abruptly.

“My son. There is an intruder. You must deal with her.”

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Lois knocked on the door to Chloe’s apartment. What do I say to her? What can I tell her? She sighed. This could be an impossible conversation, but I need someone to talk to.

The door opened and Lois saw the surprise on her cousin’s face. “Lois! Hey, come in.” The invitation was accompanied by a large, genuine smile.

“Thanks.” She breezed in as if she hadn’t a care in the world and dropped herself down on the couch. “So, how’s Mr Queen doing?” she asked with a grin.

“Uh, Lois. It’s not what you think,” replied Chloe but Lois was sure there was a pink tinge to Chloe’s cheeks.

“Sure. I’ll buy that.” She paused dramatically. “Not. But I won’t push you on this. You can confess when you’re ready.”

Lois sat quietly while Chloe went off to make a drink. She held her handbag and kept twisting the strap round and round. This was going to be hard. When Chloe came back and handed her a much needed hot coffee she decided to start off as innocently as possible.

“So. How did you enjoy the reunion dance?” Gosh was it only last night. How much has happened to me since then.

“It was fine. I did spend most of my time there in damage control though. And then I had to leave early.”

“Oh. Sounds interesting.”

“Not really. A friend recently back in town had a gigantic revelation or two and it devastated her.”

“And that’s why you left early?” Lois, for some reason, was intrigued.

“Nope. Ollie called with an emergency.” Chloe suddenly stopped and gulped then turned away.

“Emergency!” Lois repeated. “With the, er, computer work you claim you are doing for him?”

“Now let’s get this straight.” Chloe whirled back round. “There is nothing going on between me and Oliver Queen. I am most definitely doing computer work for him ... and nothing else.”

“Ok, ok!” Lois held up her hands in defeat. “I think I believe you. Let’s change the subject then.” She took a drink of her coffee. “What happened with this friend then?”

“She’s had strong feelings for this other friend for many years. She caught him making out with someone else at the dance last night.” Lois could hear a wary tone in Chloe’s voice. Making out at the dance. She can’t mean ...

“Who?” she asked in a false bright tone.

Chloe turned slightly. “Look. I don’t know what’s going on between you and Clark. Especially after you said you were in love with ... Superman.” Chloe glanced down and seemed to be waiting. Lois really didn’t know what to say so she stayed silent. Chloe took a deep breath. “Her name is Lana. She’s been in love with Clark since High School but he never saw her that way. She came across him with someone last night.” Chloe looked back up at Lois. “I’m sorry. I know you and he were getting close.”

Lois stood and walked away a few steps. She dare not turn round when she spoke. “Um. It was me.” She knew her voice was wavering.

“What? But ... I didn’t even know you were there.” Chloe stood and walked round to face her. “What happened?”

“He ...” Lois flicked her eyes back and forth. “I’ve been trying to be his friend. Trying to deny the ... connection. But he kissed me and I realised.”

“Realised what, Lois?” Chloe asked.

“I love him. We are meant to be together.” She smiled. Chloe frowned at her.

“Then why do you sound sad?” Chloe stepped backwards and opened her mouth in realisation. “Oh. This is because of Superman. Lois, can’t you see how great Clark is. You just said you belong together so why are you clinging to this superhero fantasy?”

Lois frowned back at Chloe. She really doesn’t know. Her heart sank. I have no-one I can talk to.

“It’s not what you think Chloe. I’m not clinging on to anything. There are just ... circumstances ... you don’t know about. I love Clark. I’m with Clark ... but I’m sad. Can’t we leave it at that?”

Chloe coughed. “Circumstances?” Her voice squeaked. “Do you mean ...?”

They both stared at each other for seconds which stretched into eternity. Lois searched Chloe’s face for the truth, suspecting her assessment of a second ago was wrong. Is Chloe trying to decide what I know?

“I don’t know. What do you mean?” Lois asked tentatively.

“About ... er ... nothing.” Chloe evaded.

The tension became almost solid. It was difficult to breath the air was so thick. Lois decided she had to say something; to trust her cousin – Clark’s best friend. If she didn’t already know then surely it was safe for her to find out.

“Chloe.” Lois turned away. “Clark told me everything. He’s had to leave. I don’t know how long he’ll be gone but he asked me to wait for him.” She turned back to face her cousin. The stunned look she was greeted with almost made her burst out laughing but the butterfly nerves in her stomach kept her on edge. “I told him yes. We’re ... um.” She paused and gave a slight smile. “We’re engaged.”

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The monster clawed its way up through rock, dirt and rubble. Every handful of mud pushed to the side was a step closer to freedom. It growled in satisfaction. Freedom was not far off. And then it could find things; things to crush; things to destroy. It roared again, in anticipation.

Sending a punch up through the soil once more it was met with less resistance. A chuckle escaped its grey lips and it doubled its efforts.

After what seemed like very little time the monster punched through to the surface and began climbing out. Standing out in the sun it surveyed the area around. A small wooded area was off to its left. A large empty lake was to the right and there looked to be much devastation all around. It smiled. That was good.

Looking off into the distance it saw something shining. Its interest peaked it set of at a lumbering pace.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Comments

KatherineKent/Victoria
Lois: "You put up with me for the same reason I put up with you. It's because I'm completely in love with you."
Clark: "And I love you ... Did we just make up?"
Lois: "I think so."