The Rival - Matchmaker Style

Rated PG-13

* * denotes emphasis
< > denotes thoughts
As always comments are welcome. (ken.janney@kjanney.com)

Previously:

It was time for Perry to climb on his soapbox and motivate the troops, "People, people. For fifty years the Daily Planet's been the top dog in this town and the Metropolis Star's been the dirty little puppy nippin' at our heels. Now I don't mean to be an alarmist, but if we don't start getting some big stories of our own, the faces around here may start changing. We need a good scandal, a crime wave or a ..."

He was interrupted by Jack's shout, "Hotel fire!"

Perry, thinking that he was simply offering a suggestion and not reporting a current event said, "That'll do."

Jack, realizing that he had been misunderstood, shouted, "Police scanner! There's a woman trapped on a ledge of the Metropolitan and the fire department's ladders can't reach her."

Looking at his two main reporters, Perry said, "Clark, Lois! Shake some tail!"

Lois and Clark exchanged a glance. Lois dived for her bag and headed for the elevator while Clark headed for the stairwell.

As they went into action, Perry looked heavenward and lifting his fists said, "Yes!"

Lois knew that Clark had to go be Superman and rescue the woman and was hoping that she could get to the scene in time to get the scoop and perhaps an interview.

Lois was fortunate that no one needed the elevator while she was on her way to the lobby floor. As soon as the doors to the elevator were open wide enough for her slender frame to squeeze through, she did and made a dash for the street. Placing two fingers to her lips she blew and emitted an ear piercing whistle which attracted a cab. Jumping into the back almost before he came to a complete stop she ordered, "The Metropolitan and step on it! There's an extra $20 in it if we are there in less than five minutes!"

Lois was thrown back in her seat as the cabby, with visions of twenty dollar bills dancing in his head put down the pedal and screeched into traffic, receiving several blasts of car horns for his efforts.

As soon as Clark was through the doors and into the stairwell he spun into the Suit and flew up the stairs and out the roof access. It was only a matter of seconds before he was airborne. He saw the smoke as he took to the air and headed in that direction.

Using his telescopic vision he saw the woman that Jack had mentioned, clinging to a ledge on the outside of the building, near a window on the tenth floor. He was envisioning a simple rescue as he approached when suddenly there was an explosion in the room behind her and a ball of flame erupted from the window that she was clinging to. Between the fright and the force of the explosion her grip was broken and with a scream she began to fall.

Seeing her start to fall, Superman changed course and intercepted her before she hit the ground, catching her in mid-air. As he did, her arms automatically came up around his neck and she buried her face in his shoulder.

He scanned the crowd for Lois, but apparently she hadn't arrived as yet. He couldn't think of any good reason not to land and turn the woman over to the paramedics, so he slowly lowered them, landing near an ambulance.

As he was placing her on a stretcher he spoke briefly with her. He was thinking that he could use the interview material for a story in the Planet. When he finished he was approached by a very attractive blond. She was talking into a cell phone as she approached, "'if not for the incredible last second rescue by Superman.' Wait a sec. Stand by." She pulled the phone away from her face as she spoke to Superman, "Superman. Linda King, Metropolis Star. Can you tell me what it was like up there?" She held out her cell phone so that it would pick up what Superman said in reply to her question.

Clark felt trapped. He wanted to be giving the story to Lois for the Planet, but couldn't see any way to avoid talking to Linda, "The smoke was very intense. Visibility to the human eye was probably zero. Let's just be glad that woman held on long enough for me to reach her. She's a mother with three kids. And, if you'll excuse me, I've got to go."

As he took off, Linda had a look of satisfaction on her face. She finished speaking into her phone, "'Just another day in the life of a superhero.' That's it, Vicky."

And now:

Chapter 2

After a wild cab ride, Lois finally made it to the Metropolitan. She could still see smoke billowing from the upper floors as she paid off the cabby and headed for the scene of the action.

Just as Linda was closing her phone to put it away, Lois charged up, elbowing her way through the crowd. As soon as she laid eyes on Linda she stopped dead in her tracks and blurted out, "What are you doing here?"

Nonplused, Linda replied, "Nice to see you, too, Lois. It's it been, what, six years since graduation? Unfortunately, you haven't changed a bit."

Lois retorted, "Look, Linda, we're not starting that again. I'm here on business for the Daily Planet and I need to talk to Superman."

With a smug look, Linda said, "You just missed him. He was very helpful. Not only did he save the woman at the last second, but he was nice enough to give me a quote for my story."

Lois was dumbfounded and blurted out, "Your story?"

With an almost one-ups-manship tone, Linda replied, "Haven't you heard? I'm working for the Metropolis Star." She paused to let that sink in and then threw salt into the wound as she said, "And I believe you've just been scooped."

Linda smiled a cat-got-the-canary smile as she turned away while Lois was in a fury. Linda didn't hear Lois as she muttered, "Clark Kent, you're dead meat."

After the rescue, Clark had helped the fire department put out the fire then he did a quick patrol before returning to the Planet. When he stepped out of the stairwell he was straightening his tie, Lois spotted him and stood at her desk. As he approached he saw a look bordering on anger on Lois's face and he looked around to see if the anger was directed at him or someone near him. Not seeing anyone else that could possibly be the subject of her wrath, he prepared himself for the onslaught. Without saying a word, she started moving in the direction of the conference room. Knowing that following her was tantamount to entering the lion's den, but having no other choice, he altered course to follow her.

When he entered, she was standing in the middle of the room and her posture was absolutely rigid. She said, "Close the door and the blinds," without even turning around.

Her tone brooked no hesitation so he instantly complied.

As soon as she heard the blinds snap shut she whirled around, her eyes blazing with anger. She barely controlled her volume as she almost shouted, "How could you?"

Confused, Clark looked around and then asked, "How could I, what?"

"How could you give her the scoop? You're my partner … my husband and you gave that scoop to … her of all people."

"Wait a minute. Do I get a chance to explain?"

"Go ahead. Try to explain this … this … betrayal away. Go ahead. Try."

"Okay, well, as I flew in there was an explosion and the woman started to fall. I caught her in mid-air."

"Okay, you caught her. You couldn't land near me and give me the story?"

"Lois, I looked for you, but you weren't there. I couldn't see any good reason to deny her immediate medical attention, so I had to land and turn her over to the paramedics."

"But you gave the story to … her."

"She ambushed me. She caught me before I was able to fly away."

In a sullen tone, Lois replied, "You didn't have to talk to her. You could have waited for me and given me the story."

Clark saw the degree of anger and trying to placate his wife said, "Lois, you know that Superman can't show favoritism. So you got scooped. It happens. You just have to focus on the next story."

When she finally managed to control herself she said, "Spare me the Smallville pep talk. I wasn't just scooped. A hideous part of my past has reared its ugly head." He reached for her and Lois moved into his embrace accepting his comfort as she started to cry.

Still unsure what had happened, Clark quipped, "Never let it be said Lois Lane doesn't have a flair for exaggeration."

Lois puffed out a breath and replied, "You don't know this woman, Clark. She has no conscience. She couldn't even spell it."

In a melodramatic tone, Clark said, "Am I to assume that this is less about the story and more about the reporter? It was a dark day for the Daily Planet when Linda King rode into town."

Indignant now, Lois continued, "Go ahead. Mock me. But there are no depths to which she won't stoop for a story ... or anything else for that matter." Lois moved over to open the blinds preparatory to returning to their desks. She said, "Come on. Let's go down to the stand in the lobby for some coffee. I really don't think I could take the newsroom coffee right now."

They exited the conference room and took the elevator to the lobby. As they exited, Lois said, "You just don't know her."

The next day, as they were headed out on an interview, Clark said, "Lois, ever since yesterday, you have been obsessing over Linda King."

Lois denied, "I have not been obsessing."

"Look, I tell you that you are obsessing."

"Don't tell me that I am obsessing. I do not obsess. You obsess."

"Do I detect the scent of jealousy?"

Lois got a startled look as she observed Linda King entering through the revolving door and said, "You detect the smell of a rat," she looked pointedly toward the doors, "and it just scurried in."

Linda spotted her old rival and headed in her direction. When she was in front of her, she offered her hand and said, "Hello, Lois. I thought we could get re-acquainted."

Lois crossed her arms across her chest and simply stared at her.

"Or perhaps not." Turning to Clark, Linda held out the hand she had offered to Lois and turned on the charm, "Well, hel - lo, I'm Linda King."

Taking her hand in his he said, "Clark Kent. I've heard about you."

Linda was very obviously giving Clark the eye, taking in his stature and looks and obviously liking what she saw. "From Lois? Let me guess. No conscience. Will stoop to anything."

Lois spoke for the first time, "See?"

Always the peacemaker, Clark tried, "She's kidding."

Lois gave Linda the kind of look a biologist gives a bug under a microscope, "No, I'm not." She turned her fury on Linda and said, "Oh, and one more thing, stay away from Superman." With that Lois stomped off and headed for the coffee wagon.

Linda watched her go and quickly turned back to Clark to say, "I guess Lois thinks Superman's her own personal source, doesn't she?" Clark gave a half hearted shrug and she continued, half musingly, "I'd love to talk to him again."

Trying to change the topic, Clark asked, "Is there a reason that you're here?"

"Yes, you know Superman. Wouldn't an introduction fall under the category of professional courtesy?"

Clark was surprised and shaking his head in the negative said, "Sorry."

"Well then, what should we talk about?"

Clark searched for something and finally came up with, "I read your piece on the hotel fire yesterday. Nice work."

Linda smiled and said, "Thanks. Surprising to hear you say that, though."

Clark smiled in his disarming manner and replied, "Just because we're competitors, doesn't mean we don't appreciate the competition. I also liked the editorial your publisher wrote demanding changes in the fire department. He's a very powerful writer."

Linda smiled a somewhat smug smile and replied, "Preston Carpenter's a very powerful man, period." She considered for a second before speaking again, "You know, he's throwing a party tonight at the Metropolis Press Club. Maybe you'd like to go."

Clark looked over at Lois who was studiously avoiding them and hedged, "It's kind of last minute and I hate going to those things and besides, I couldn't go with you."

Linda replied, "Please, don't misunderstand. I already have a date. You should come and bring a date."

Clark looked over at Lois and said, "Okay, thanks."

Thinking she had made a point, Linda smiled and said, "Great. See you tonight."

Lois was watching the entire exchange and trying to be inconspicuous, hiding behind a magazine that she had picked off of a rack.

As Linda walked past Lois on her way out, she said, "See you around, Lois."

After Linda had walked past, Lois put her magazine down and snorted in frustration. She approached Clark and asked, "All right. What'd she want? Spill it!"

Clark smiled an innocent smile at Lois's discomfiture and said, "She invited me … us to a dinner Carpenter's throwing tonight. Want to go?"

"Clark, How could you accept an invitation from her after everything I just told you?!"

Clark smiled again, "Come on, Lois. Look, the Star has been scooping the Planet recently. We need to find out how. We might just learn something."

Lois relented, "Okay. It's an investigation. I'll go along with that, but if she starts hitting on you, I swear, I'll tear her eyes out."

"I don't think you have to worry. She said she already has a date."

"Thank heaven for small favors."

Lois had kicked Clark out of the bedroom while she dressed for the dinner. She had gone out and purchased a new dress for the affair and wanted to surprise him. She had made him promise not to peek and he was good to his word.

Finally, when she was dressed she called out to him, "Ready?"

He chuckled and said, "I'm waiting with bated breath."

She stepped around the partition and as she did, he gasped. She was an absolute vision of loveliness. The dress was a floor length creation of blue lace, just a little darker than the Suit, that hugged all of her curves. It had a yoke neck that dipped down to show her cleavage and was slit up the left to mid-thigh. The lace of the sleeves was unlined.

Clark let out a whistle and said, "Lois, you look … sensational! Maybe we'll stay home." He wiggled his eyebrows.

Lois smiled demurely and said, "I'm glad you like it. I bought it for you."

"I appreciate the thought, but I really don't look all that good in a dress, but on you it's perfect."

Smiling at his joke she said, "Do you think I'll look okay at this affair?"

"You'll be the belle of the ball. I'm just glad that we're already married. I won't have to worry about someone trying to steal you away from me."

"As if anyone would want to."

"How could they help it? Actually, I'm not so sure I should let you out of the house looking this good. Just make sure that your wedding ring is on your hand."

She pulled her left hand up to her chest and held it lovingly with her right hand, "I never take it off. It's a part of me. It represents our love. I love it and the man that gave it to me."

As they entered the Metropolis Press Club they could hear a small band playing and the loud buzz of numerous conversations. Lois had checked her wrap at the cloakroom before they entered. They made a striking couple. Clark was wearing his tux and looked very dashing next to Lois. Her arm was threaded through his as they entered.

They stopped just inside the entryway and Lois looked around. She whispered to Clark, "Do you see Linda?"

He did a quick scan and said, "No, not yet."

Lois muttered, "I wonder what she is going to be wearing?"

Lois hadn't as yet filled Clark in on the story about Linda, so in response to her question, he said, "Wild guess here, but there's more to this rivalry than just who's the better reporter. Right?"

Lois looked at him and said, "Don't insult me."

Clark was stunned, "I insulted you?"

She raised an eyebrow and said, "There's no question who's the better reporter."

Clark was continuing to scan the attendees. He finally spotted their host and said, "Look, there's Preston Carpenter over there with Secretary Wallace."

"What's he doing here? See if you can hear what they are saying."

Suddenly, from behind them, Linda swept in. She was wearing what had to be a designer original gown in Kryptonite green. As she approached she said, "Lois, what a surprise. You're Clark's date. What else do you do together?"

Clark said, "We are reporting partners and …"

"and we are married." Lois finished for him as she brought her left hand up and placed it on his arm so that her ring would be visible.

Linda was struck speechless and stood there with her mouth open, staring at Lois's ring.

Lois said, "You had better close your mouth before a fly enters."

Linda came out of her stupor and said, "You're serious? You're married? Wow."

Lois asked, "What happened, Linda, your date stand you up?"

Snapping out of it, Linda said, "Of course not. Follow me. I'll introduce you."

Lois hung onto Clark's arm, tightly, as they followed Linda through the crowd.

As they were moving through the crowd, Linda gave Lois another jab, "I love your dress, Lois. You're so lucky. I can never wear anything off the rack."

Lois started to bristle, but Clark placed a restraining hand on hers and whispered, "I love you in this dress. You are drop dead gorgeous."

Lois smiled and whispered, "As long as you like it, that's what counts."

He whispered back, "I see a lot of heads turning and they aren't looking at Linda. They're looking at you. I'm just glad you're mine."

"Forever."

He smiled and repeated, "Forever."

Finally, as they followed Linda, Clark tuned in with his super-hearing and heard Carpenter say, "Mister Secretary, this treaty between our country and Omir is a huge miscalculation. That country is run by terrorists. We must neutralize them, not legitimize them."

Secretary Wallace was appalled and he replied, "And you'd risk an all-out war, wouldn't you? I don't need your lectures, Mister Carpenter," and stormed off, insulted.

Lois and Clark were surprised when Linda led them directly to Preston Carpenter. When he noted their approach, Preston Carpenter's face lit up with pleasure. He said, "Linda," and turning to Lois and Clark said, "I am at a loss for words to describe her."

Lois quipped, "I can help there."

Ignoring her, Linda said, "Preston, I'd like you to meet Clark Kent, a reporter with the Daily Planet. And Lois Lane. His date. Clark, Lois, Preston Carpenter."

Clark corrected her, "Actually, we are a reporting team and we are also married."

Carpenter reached for Clark's offered hand and shook it as he said, "The Daily Planet was a fine paper in its day. Fine paper. But things change. That's the lesson of life now, isn't it? You either make it happen, or it happens to you."

As Carpenter finished speaking, the man behind him tapped him on the shoulder.

Clark noted that he was a compact, sullen looking, dour individual. He had an earring in his left ear that had a dangling figurine that looked like an Ankh.

Carpenter noted Clark's perusal and said, "Allow me to introduce my body-guard and chauffeur, Mr. Stark."

Stark leaned close and said, "The Mayor would like to have a moment with you."

Carpenter nodded and said, "Please excuse me."

As Preston walked away, Lois made a catty comment, "Well, now we know how you got your job."

Linda was about to make a retort when the band started another number. Clark stopped the conflict by saying, "Lois, I believe that you promised me this dance." He put his hand at the small of her back and led her to the dance floor.

comments go here

TBC

Last edited by KenJ; 03/20/15 01:09 PM.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj