Band of Blue TOC

Chapter 31

“Lois!” Clark screamed. “Lois!” He searched around, stepping over the unconscious body of Lex Luthor. What’s she doing here, he said to himself. He sped to her car and noticed her bag on the passenger seat. Her phone was out and he read the text showing.

Project Ares re-opened. Experiment to start tonight.

Of course, Lois was investigating Lex, and Metron Pharmaceuticals, and Project Ares. Of course. He slammed his fist down on the hood of her car causing a gigantic dent. Where is she?

“Lois!” he shouted one more time then stopped. His heavy breathing subsided as he began to focus his hearing. The soft swishing beat which had been with him since his dance with Lois in the barn earlier this evening came to the front of his mind. As he tried to pinpoint it he found it harder and harder. It was fading.

“No!” he screamed and leapt into the air, searching frantically. The heartbeat sounded more and more distant. Clark turned on his x-ray vision hoping to see through any obstacle which would otherwise obstruct his view. The beat jumped, and faded, and missed a beat altogether, then faded, then stopped.

Just at that point he caught sight of something bobbing at the surface of the water, rushing down the new river created by the bursting of the dam.

“Lois!” he whispered and shot down to her instantly. Placing her on the banks of the river he recalled his CPR technique and began to give her the kiss of life. Touching his lips to hers he prayed silently.

Come back to me, please come back to me.

After, thankfully, only a few seconds, she began to cough. He held her up while she coughed out water. When she stopped she turned and looked up at him. She reached out her hand and touched him on the cheek. She was smiling up at him. Clark felt the warmth come back into his heart. The shattered piece he had left in the fortress was whole one more and it was warm and joyful. Lois was in his arms and she was alive. She loved him.

“Superman,” she whispered and closed her eyes. Then he realised that it wasn’t Clark she was looking at, but Superman. He steeled his face and stood up with her in his arms then flew her to the hospital to be checked over.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Lex groaned as he opened his eyes. His whole body felt raw and aching. What’s going on? He staggered to his feet and turned around. Reeves Dam, what am I doing here? He turned round and round in confusion. How did I get here from the arctic? Then he felt the shuddering beneath him. Off to his left was a missing portion of bridge, water cascading out of it. He stumbled as the ground buckled. Turning and heading for the edge of the bridge he made it only one step before the whole area crumbled and he was swept away.

Fighting desperately against the flow of water he kicked to keep himself afloat, hoping to ride the tide until it calmed enough to head for the bank. He was suddenly swiped from behind by a large piece of debris and it sent him under the water. He was unable to take a breath in time and he found himself struggling.

Just as he began to truly panic he became aware of a glow ahead of him. The water was lit up like an undersea mystical kingdom and there, in the centre of the glow, was the enchantress to whom the kingdom belonged. Lex stared in wonder and shock forgetting his predicament for a moment.

Within the blink of an eye he found himself on land. Rolling onto his side and coughing profusely he searched for his rescuer only to find it too dark.

He stood up and tried to shake as much water off his body as possible. As he did so he realised that water was streaming down his face ... from what? He reached up his hand and his eyes widened in shock when he felt the full head of hair in his grip.

What has been happening to me?

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Clark rushed into the hospital reception but at normal pace.

“Lois Lane, where is she?” he asked the receptionist. “She was just brought in by Superman.”

The lady behind the desk looked up at him, dazed. “Wow, that was fast. He said you’d be coming to see her. She’s been taken to x-ray.”

“X-ray?” Clark spoke sharply. He knew there was nothing really wrong as he’d x-rayed her bones himself.

“Just a precaution, sir. Why don’t you wait down there?” She indicated a direction and he slowly walked to the chairs.

Over the next 30 minutes he alternately sat and stood, pacing back and forth. Guilt was driving him mad.

Lois almost died because of me; because I wouldn’t train. This is all because I wouldn’t stay at the fortress. My life is too dangerous. How can I put her in this kind of danger?

As he mused over these thoughts he felt a gentle tugging. I wasn’t physical ... more mental. The more he ignored it the more it increased until he had to stay sitting down so as not to collapse with pain. Eventually the mental pull coalesced into a voice.

“Son, you must return.” This was accompanied by an overwhelming pull. Clark found himself standing and heading to the door but was interrupted by someone calling his name.

“Clark!” It was Lois.

He turned away from the door and looked at her. The tugging kept him shuffling backwards to the doorway but Lois, thankfully, didn’t notice the minute movement.

“Clark, you’re here!” she shouted and ran towards him. She leapt into his embrace and wrapped her arms round his neck and that’s when the contact broke. Clark felt his legs shake a little at the sudden impact but he smiled and enclosed her in a giant hug.

“Lois, you’re alright!” he whispered into her hair.

“Sure am,” she said pulling back and dropping to the floor. She looked into his eyes, “thanks to Superman.” She stared at him intensely and he felt nervous. His concern was relieved when she smiled and drew his head down for a sweet kiss. Stepping back out of his arms she took hold of one hand and started for the door. “I’ve been released, no problems. Let’s go home.”

Clark looked down at their linked fingers and grinned as they walked outside. Lois and Clark. Together. It felt great.

“So, Smallville, where’s your car?” Lois asked and Clark’s heart skipped a beat.

“Erm,” he started. She stopped and turned to look at him. It seemed she was searching for something in his face again.

“Ok, we’ll take a cab to my place,” she said without question.

When she let go of his hand to climb into the taxi Clark felt the tugging return. “Kal-El, you must return.” He slid in the back seat next to her and she took hold of his hand again, silencing the voice.

Clark stared out of the window on the journey to Lois’s apartment. He absent-mindedly rubbed his thumb over her fingers. I promised Jor-El I would return. But Lois needs me. There’s a connection ... so strong that it’s overpowering the call. He turned back to look at her. She was looking out of the opposite window. I can’t leave her. I love her too much. I need her. She brightens up my day with her smile, she even brightens it with her sarcastic barbs.

He lifted her hand to his mouth and tenderly kissed her fingers. She turned and smiled at him.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Lois stopped outside the door to her apartment and extricated her fingers from Clark’s steel grip. He hadn’t let their contact drop since the hospital. She smiled to herself. Holding out the spare key she had borrowed from the night porter’s office she unlocked the door and turned back to Clark. He was leant against the corridor wall and looked to be breathing heavily. She frowned. What’s the matter?

Recognising that this was the point where she had rejected him a few weeks ago she reached out a hand and took hold of his again to reassure him.

“Why don’t you come in Clark?” she said softly. He seemed to relax the moment they touched and he followed her inside. Once she closed the door behind them she turned to him. “What is it Clark? You seem nervous,” she asked.

He visibly jumped at her statement. “No, everything’s fine. I was just worried about you.” He lifted a hand to her cheek. “Terribly worried.”

“Are you sure. Because I wondered if it was to do with ...” she gave a little nod of her head, “what happened earlier ... in the barn ... you know, when you ... had to leave”

He turned away, but continued to hold her hand. “In the barn? When I ... um ...”

“It’s ok Clark,” she scooted round to be in front of him again, “If anyone understands deadlines and urgent ... things ... it’s me.” She smiled up at him. “I just wish you knew how much I truly DO understand.”

Clark squinted his eyes almost imperceptibly. When he opened his mouth to speak her heart started beating wildly. Stupidly she let her nervousness get in control and she spoke rather than let him continue.

“So! You want a coffee?” He nodded then stepped backwards.

“Sure.”

Lois stepped away but found that she was still entangled in Clark’s fingers. “Uh, Smallville. You can let go now. I’m not going anywhere. I promise.”

She watched him swallow then nod his head once more. Gosh, he’s nervous about something. How can I reassure him? Before stepping further away she lifted onto her tiptoes and brushed across his mouth with her lips. Clark released her fingers and she immediately felt his hands in her hair. He took control of the kiss and deepened it. She felt his tongue tease at her lips and she sighed. This was what she should have let him do weeks ago. This was what she had dreamt that he had done. She brought her hands up to his neck and opened her mouth allowing him more access. As the heat grew she found herself loosing understanding of the world around. Her whole world became Clark; his touch, his taste, his hands; they had moved from her hair and were now at her waist drawing her close to his body.

Drawing back from his mouth she looked up at him dreamily. “I guess I should get you that coffee.” She stepped out of his embrace and tousled a lock of hair nervously before heading for the kitchen. She heard a startled breath as she walked away. Clark muttered something which she couldn’t understand then he shouted.

“Lois!” she stopped and turned.

“Yes?” She watched as he paced towards her. His chest heaved as he breathed. He paused then looked down at his shoes. “What is it?” she asked. He looked back up at her and swivelled away, pacing off again. Suddenly he stopped and she noticed a change in his posture. He stood more upright. He took a deep breath. He turned to face her.

“All my life I’ve been normal, human and that was fine with me. I tried to stand out with my writing. I tried to make a difference in the world. But something changed a few months ago. I met you and I wanted to be special. I wanted you to notice me. But how could you ever notice me when there was a new Superhero in town. One who seemed to be your personal hero. I found it so ironic that Superman was my competition, yet here you are ... with me ... Clark. And I want you to stay with me. I can’t bear to lose you and I want you to know me completely so I need to tell you the truth.” He paused and took a breath. Lois felt her heart beating in anticipation as she watched Clark turn away. Is he going to tell me?

“I said it was ironic that Superman was my competition because ... it’s me.” He turned back and took of his glasses. “I’m Superman.”

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Comments. Hopefully you have some.

KatherineKent/Victoria
Lois: "You put up with me for the same reason I put up with you. It's because I'm completely in love with you."
Clark: "And I love you ... Did we just make up?"
Lois: "I think so."