Band of Blue TOC

Chapter 30

Lex looked at the vial in his hand. This was it. His power. His future. This world now belonged to him; Zod. Now, he could finally reveal his true self to the world; his true name.

“Get out!” he shouted to all the scientists.

“Sir?”
“Mr Luthor?”

They all turned and queried him.

“GET OUT!” he shouted even louder and spun round to them all. They scattered immediately, some knocking over tables and equipment on the way out.

Zod walked to the door and clicked the lock into place, he did not want to be disturbed. Rifling through cupboards, opening drawers, throwing boxes on the floor he searched for something he could use to inject the serum. The clattering sound of metal on metal as items scattered grated on his nerves and his anger grew.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Lois was half way back home when she heard her phone buzzing.

“Clark!” she hoped desperately and immediately screeched her car to the side of the road, stalling it, and dived for her bag. She was disappointed to see the message displayed as anonymous caller. Tapping some keys she opened up the text.

Project Ares re-opened. Experiment to start tonight.

Lois quickly twisted at the ignition in her car. “Come on. Come on,” she screamed at it. Finally roaring to life she pulled back onto the highway and prayed for no cops to catch her as she sped to Reeves Dam.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Chloe, still in her reunion dance outfit, arrived in the apartment and ran straight to the Watchtower setup. Putting the communicator in her ear she immediately made contact with the League.

“Watchtower online. Report in please.” She received replies from Arrow, Cyborg, Aquaman and Zatanna.

“Why do we not have the big guns with us?” she queried.

“Superman said he needed to see someone. Possibly they can help,” Green Arrow replied.

“Where is everyone else?”

“Can’t seem to contact them.”

“So, fill me in,” she asked.

“We’re at Reeves Dam. We need to shut down Project Ares. Do you have the live feed showing?”

“Sure do.”

“Ok, keep an eye on us.”

Chloe finally settled into a chair and began to organise her thoughts, familiarising herself with the information showing. A buzz came in her ear as a new communicator came online.

“Watchtower, Superman here. I have some information for everyone. Lex is possessed by a Kryptonian criminal. I have a crystal with me which will trap him again. I’m just arriving at the dam now.”

“Superman, Watchtower. Confirmed. The rest of the League has just arrived. I’ll guide you to them.”

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Zod finally found something to use and clipped the vial into the end. Rolling up his sleeve he held the needle ready.

“Sir, sir.” A security guard banged on the locked door. “Mr Luthor, Superman just tore open the doors and we have security breaches in three other sections.”

Zod looked at the door then back at the serum. “Superman. I’ll be ready for you,” he whispered, then injected.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

“Snug maj.” Zatanna held out her hands and spoke. The soldiers attempting to fire on the approaching heroes found their weapons useless. Wasting too many moments trying to reload and mend their guns they were easily knocked unconscious from behind by Aquaman.

Round the corner two guards were drawn away from their posts by something whizzing past them. Turning to look they found an arrow sticking out of the wall. Investigating it they heard a soft hissing sound then collapsed to the floor.

In a small office down the corridor Cyborg tried to hack into the system. He managed to pull up a working diagram of the facility. “Watchtower. I’m sending you an up-to-date map. Guide us to the restricted area.”

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Superman sped through all the obstructions in his path making short work of the blocks. He met up with the rest of the league in a dark corridor deep inside the dam.

“Glad you could make it Boy Scout,” Green Arrow said and smiled.

“Glad to be here. We need to find Lex. He is possessed by a Kryptonian criminal called General Zod. I have something that can trap him.”

“OK, how did that happen?” asked the Archer. “Never mind.” He waved his hand in the air to dismiss the question, “Let’s just find him.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Zod writhed on the floor in agony. Fire, fire in my veins. What has this serum done to me? After screaming for, what seemed like hours, the pain began to fade and when he found the strength to stand he found himself facing the glass wall which had been the viewing port to his sedated son, until he’d been moved to a fully enclosed cell. He stepped forwards and looked at the faint reflection, lifting a hand to his head. Hair, shocking red hair flowing down to his shoulders. He’d actually got used to being bald whilst inhabiting Lex Luthor’s body but to see hair on his head again. The serum has restored me. I am whole. He spun round looking for something heavy to test how far the serum had worked.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

“The door at the end of this corridor: Project Ares is labelled as behind it.” Watchtower’s voice came over every communicator.

Superman sped down and brought back his fist ready to punch through the door but he was stopped by the sound of a female voice back at the other end.

“Rood nepo.” The door swung open.

Superman sped through the opening and stopped in absolute shock. Lex Luthor was in the centre of the room, but he had a full head of hair. The momentary distraction allowed Lex to take control and Superman was stunned to find himself crashing into the wall behind. Lex had punched him squarely on the jaw. Looking up he saw an unfamiliar face looming above him. It was Lex ... but it wasn’t.

“Superman!” came the voice from his old friend’s mouth. “I’m so glad we’ve finally been able to meet. Let me introduce myself.” Superman stood slowly and reached round to under his cape, looking for the crystal. “My name is General Zod,” Lex continued, “and it’s time for me to rule.” He reached back his arm and swung again hitting Superman in the chest. The crystal tumbled out of his hand and across the floor. Superman managed to block another punch from Lex ... Zod and finally focussed his concentration.

The two of them continued to trade blows back and forth until Superman sent Zod flying through the glass wall and then strode after him. Not seeing Zod when he made it past the equipment he turned back, searching, only to be hit straight in the face and knocked to the floor once more.

“You, and all the humans on this planet, will kneel before Zod.”

Superman stood and glared at the menace in front of him. “Not if I have anything to say about it.” He stretched back his arm and let out an almighty punch. It sent Zod through the opposite wall. He quickly scanned the floor for the crystal. Just as he found it the League ran into the room. He could see Arrow ready with his bow but there was nothing for him to fire at.

“He has powers,” shouted Superman as he sped through the opening after Zod. There was no sign of him.

He caught up to Zod in a large room filled with giant tanks. He sped at him, trying to reach his chest with the crystal but Zod moved and Superman punched his shoulder instead. They resumed the back and forth fight, crashing into equipment and walls at every punch. It took a while for Superman to realise that they had punctured a tank and water was spilling out. He stopped his onslaught for less than a second to take in his surroundings and he noticed the sound of further cracking. Determined to finish this he turned back to Zod and swiped his face with an uppercut sending him through the roof and out into the open air.

“Everyone,” Superman spoke though his microphone authoritatively, “get out now. This place is about to collapse and flood.”

“Acknowledged,” he received back.

Launching himself up into the air he sped after Zod. He held the crystal in his hand, outstretched in front as he flew.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Lois pulled up at the dam and turned off her engine. She glanced out of her window looking for some small, utility entrance by which she could slip inside. She opened the door and stepped out. Walking over the bridge she stopped when she felt the ground tremble beneath her. As the pseudo quake intensified she couldn’t maintain her balance and fell to the ground. As she staggered back to her feet she turned to look out over the dam and let out a silent scream as the ground crumbled beneath her.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Superman found Zod just as he touched down on the ground out in the open, next to a crumbled piece of bridge, water spewing out. Landing next to him he planted a hand on one shoulder to keep him still and slammed the crystal to Zod’s chest with the other. An unreal scream escaped Lex’s throat and Superman felt the crystal pulsating, warm in his hand. As he pulled his hand away Lex collapsed to the ground, unconscious.

Superman stood up straight and took a step backwards. He heard a voice in his ear, “We’re all clear, Watchtower,” and he sighed in relief.

That’s when he noticed her car.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Lois felt like her chest was on fire. The need to breath was paramount. The instinct to open her mouth and gulp in air was overwhelming ... but she mustn’t give in till she reached the surface. She kicked and kicked against the tide of water washing her away. She wanted to open her mouth and shout for help ... and shout for Clark. She gritted her teeth in determination. Open your mouth and you are dead Lane. She continued to kick but it was getting harder, the water was getting darker. Darker and darker. The pain was subsiding. It felt safe to let go. Just let go. She stopped kicking and just drifted. Her vision darkened one last time and she fell into unconsciousness.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Comments.

KatherineKent/Victoria
Lois: "You put up with me for the same reason I put up with you. It's because I'm completely in love with you."
Clark: "And I love you ... Did we just make up?"
Lois: "I think so."