Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
groobie Offline OP
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Here's a story I wrote for Lynn, who left me a really nice comment in the feedback threads for one of my other stories. Enjoy! grin

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
If there were an icon for "happy sigh," I'd be using it right here. This story loses nothing upon re-reading. What a wonderful, WAFFy story. It was everything I had hoped for and more.

Thank you so much for writing it! smile smile smile

Joy,
Lynn

Top Banana
Top Banana
I loved the title!! So descriptive. I also loved the reference to clones and amnesia thumbsup

I get so tired of stories where everything that could possibly go wrong, goes wrong and gets between these two. I mean they have enough problems communicating on this subject without Clark running off to stop a holdup, Lois' phone ringing, Jimmy knocking on the door, etc. Nice to see a story where the only obstacle is themselves and they eventually overcome that obstacle.

Nice job.

Mike

Create all the happiness you are able to create.
Remove all the misery you are able to remove.

Jeremy Bentham

Top Banana
Top Banana
I love it! Their lives are a soap opera (and the fans love to change things for them!)

“The Ivory Tower” was reliable entertainment, regardless of her mood. She could get lost in the characters, empathize with their outrageous storylines, and never question the romantic entanglements that twisted and turned but ultimately came together. Sure, viewers often had to wait for years, wading through countless obstacles, but eventually, true love won out in the end.
And then the show gets canceled.

Clark was here? In the late evening, while she was dressed in sweatpants and a shlumpy t-shirt, wallowing in her misery? This couldn’t be good.
Ah, but if he doesn't care that you look your worst ...

Clark smiled with just a touch of irony. “Complicated love triangles? Clones? Amnesia?”
Just a normal day for L&C!

She sighed. “At least if you don’t like the show, you can write a new story. Change the plot to make it the way it should have been.”

“Oh, like those stories on the internet?”
The fanfic is often better than the show.

Great story!

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
What a fun piece of WAFF! Thanks, groobie. What a wonderful gift for a fan. clap

It took me a minute to try and place it in the series. Which Tower had been breached? Why was Lois moping with a carton of chocolate ice cream? Even after your Perry hint, it still took until Mayson to realize why Lois was so upset, then everything clicked.

Clark sounded so serious when he arrived, as if he had something important to say, but the truth was he was just feeling miserable and needed his Lois fix. smile I wondered what he had come over to say, only to have him not say it, distracted by the soap opera. I'm guessing Lois enjoyed that opera more than any Luthor took her to... more for the company than the content.

I loved the comparisons with their lives: clones, amnesia, and superheroes. They did mention heroes, right? Well, it doesn't matter. They are enjoying each other's company which is really what is important.

Very sweet and an enjoyable vignette. Don't be surprised if you've inspired many a reader to wish that a tall, dark, handsome man would come over and tease her about her tv viewing habits.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OMG! The WAFFs! What a great fic! (I nearly cried in happiness as they changed the dialogue on the show to suit their situation.)

How dare he fall for that pathetically desperate, probably corrupt, tragically blonde man-stealer?

I think you just summed up every fan's thoughts on Mayson.

“I couldn’t have known that. You were switched at birth and raised by a schizophrenic nurse who couldn’t have children of her own. Our parents were told you died in the hospital from a rare genetic disease. I never would have fallen for you if I had known you were my long lost sister.”

Cannot stop laughing.

Well done and what a gift!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Loved this! A nice mix of romance and humor smile
As a side effect, the part in which Lois indulges in ice cream made me drool painfully... I guess this has to do with me giving up chocolate for Lent *sighs*

Go I Know Not Whither and Fetch I Know Not What
LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Yeah...(happy sigh--echoing Lynn). I just absolutely love this story, Susan hyper hyper hyper. It's got all the wonderful WAFF's that I adore, and the whole piece has such a nice feel to it.

Lois picked up the remote and fast-forwarded past a boring plot about the villain of the week until Gwendolyn appeared on screen. Lois pressed play and snuggled into her blanket as she dove into the soap opera character’s plight.

Oh, how many times have I been here? LOL...reminded me of the younger years, sitting snuggled up to the tv, eating a really late night snack--possibly ice cream (but I think cookies mostly would win out wink ), watching Lois & Clark. And if it were a real 'marathon' of episodes, it was probably to keep my mind off of something not so awesome going on at the time--oh, the fun of growing up.

I loved relating to Lois and her coping mechinisms grin...

The situation was entirely her own fault. She couldn’t expect him to wait forever for her to return the feelings she knew he had. After all, as Perry had said, “Clark’s a nice man but when you get right down to it, a nice man is still just a man.”

Like I said earlier to you, I was really excited starting this story out, when I saw you were taking off from this moment between Lois and Clark. That dance they share--the bittersweet dance where SHE/Mayson cuts in. Argh, after all these years, it annoys me every time I see Mayson come between them. Because...well, they look so happy together right before she interupts. The moments between Lois and Perry immediately after are really quite sweet, and expanding from there? Yep...great way to make your beta happy wave notworthy.

A loud knock startled Lois; she brushed the moisture from her eyes. “Lois, are you home?” Clark asked.

Let the giggles of glee commence. Clark has arrived...Lois is aware of her feelings...this is going to be GREAT!!!

After a few minutes, Clark spoke. “Lois,” he said tentatively.

“Yeah?”

He paused, but then said, “This show is awful.”

Lois laughed out loud. “I know! But I’m hopelessly addicted.”

rotflol lol rotflol This moment. One of my favorites--for the honesty. It really, totally enthralls me because it's such a real snippit of conversation. Hilarious with how straight-forward they are clap.

He let the comment slide and they watched another minute of the show in silence. Then he asked quietly, “Do you ever wish you could change our story?”

Lois caught her breath and bristled slightly, but a moment later, she whispered the word, “Yes.”

Clark slowly released his breath and hugged his arm more tightly around her. Lois pulled her legs up onto the couch, naturally leaning more solidly against his body. And they stayed in that embrace for a few minutes, lost in their own thoughts.

And this is where I bow down to the greatness of Groobie notworthy. Seriously?!?! I was so impressed when I read this part. You create such an 'air' here--of longing, of question, of possibility. Me...yeah--I had a death grip to the old ipad, utterly enthralled laugh.

Lois shook her head. “I’m usually too busy shoving ice cream in my face and having a good cry.” Then she sucked in a breath, embarrassed by what she had just revealed. “And you’re going to pretend I didn’t say that.”

lol More honesty. Gotta love it!

The scene changed to a dark-haired man passionately kissing a blonde bombshell. Lois sighed, then said quietly, “You’re mine, now. She could have had you, but she let you slip through her fingers.”

Clark turned to look at her, but Lois’ gaze stayed focused on the television. “I don’t understand.”

Lois closed her eyes as she pretended to supply new dialogue to the soap opera character. “She looked through the window and saw us kissing in your apartment. Now she knows that you’re with someone else. That she lost her chance.”

Making up the dialog. Wow--these moments are just wonderful. What a great way to get everything out in the open. I love the feeling here, as Clark begins to understand the evening clap.

“She’s my best friend. And I’ve been in love with her since the day we met.”

“But what if it doesn’t work out?” The scene changed, but Lois continued to speak, no longer in synch with the characters on the television. “He’s my best friend, and I can’t lose him.”

Clark sat up; Lois leaned forward and Clark turned towards her, needing to look into her eyes. But Lois kept her head tucked down, as if she were afraid to confront the truth. “Lois, you will never lose me.”

“I already have,” she whispered.

“Never.” Clark cupped her cheek and silently urged Lois to look at him. She raised her eyes, and Clark said, “I do not have feelings for Mayson. I love you.”

Lois gasped, then placed her hands at the sides of his face. “I love you, too.”

He froze, and she memorized the moment in time: the wonder in his eyes, the pounding of her heart. Then he bent forward and pressed his lips against hers.

And this is where the giddy, swoon-inducing WAFF gets ya hyper clap dance notworthy. Can NOT stop smiling (still, after the upteenth reading of this part blush ).

His face lit up in a brilliant grin. “I’ll do that.” He bent down and kissed her again – beautiful perfection. Then he whispered in her ear, “We’ll change our story together.”

The thought of them 'creating' their own story--being writers, working together anyway--is such a creative play on words. Works with the story, but works for 'them', too.

LOVE this, Susan. Such a joy to get lost in it again this afternoon smile
Laura

(And great story ideas, Lynn clap... )

Last edited by LMA; 03/03/15 06:23 PM.

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
This story hit it out of the park! clap

Lois looked down into the half-eaten carton of chocolate ice cream and frowned. The level was uneven, with a concave distortion marring the otherwise smooth plane. She scraped the edge of the hole with her spoon, shaving off a neat pile of the treat and bringing it to her mouth. She flipped the spoon over and closed her lips around it, licking the ice cream out of the spoon with her tongue. She let the flavor roll around in her mouth, savoring the sweetness before swallowing it whole.

If only it were that easy to eat her feelings.

Ooooh! I can think of a few times in my twenties when the only thing that got me through heartbreak, was a pint of vanilla or chocolate Haagen Dazs ice cream. So happy those days are over! dance

She eyed the tub of chocolate ice cream, knowing that calories don’t really heal a broken heart, but feeling like devouring the rest of it anyway. Lois closed her eyes and shook her head, resisting the temptation. The situation was entirely her own fault. She couldn’t expect him to wait forever for her to return the feelings she knew he had. After all, as Perry had said, “Clark’s a nice man but when you get right down to it, a nice man is still just a man.”

Ya gotta love Perry! He hit the nail on the head! A good person is not going to sit around cooling their heels while the other person is making up their mind. Wake up Lois. (Not that Clark would even think of leaving Lois for Mayson!)

“Yeah?”

Lois laughed out loud. “I know! But I’m hopelessly addicted.”

Only the very best of friends can be that honest with each other.

His face lit up in a brilliant grin. “I’ll do that.” He bent down and kissed her again – beautiful perfection. Then he whispered in her ear, “We’ll change our story together.”

Happy sighs! love Thanks for the touch of romance!

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Originally Posted by LMA
(And great story ideas, Lynn clap... )
Thanks, but it was the way Susan fleshed them out that made them great. smile

Joy,
Lynn

LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
notworthy definitely goes to Susan. Huge fan--another great story smile.

Laura

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
Kerth
Kerth
Very nice story. I loved it overall, but these lines were particularly good.

But this was reality; Clark was real. He was a man – a dark-haired, broad-shouldered, chisel-chested, fully developed man. She couldn’t be the only woman expected to notice.

Lois frowned at the mental image burned into her retinas – the blonde hussy throwing herself at Clark. Lois grabbed the slightly melted ice cream and scooped a heaping spoonful into her mouth, trying to replace the sour taste of her memory with something sweet. How dare he fall for that pathetically desperate, probably corrupt, tragically blonde man-stealer?

Clark was here? In the late evening, while she was dressed in sweatpants and a shlumpy t-shirt, wallowing in her misery? This couldn’t be good.

“Just a minute,” Lois said. She pressed pause on the remote and tossed her blanket to the side. At least the evidence of her ice cream binge was safely back in the kitchen. Lois crossed over to her door, made her way through the locks, and then tentatively let Clark in.

Shlumpy ... perfect!!

Well done, and thanks for sharing.

Corrina.

groobie Offline OP
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Oooh, lovely feedback! laugh

Originally Posted by VirginiaR
It took me a minute to try and place it in the series.
If you look at the "Church of Metropolis" script, I set it between scenes 59 and 60. I just didn't think I needed to be that explicit in the story itself. LOL
I wondered what he had come over to say, only to have him not say it
In my mind, he came to apologize for their argument about Mayson in the conference room. But really, he just wants an excuse to be with her. wink
Originally Posted by MikeM
I loved the title!! So descriptive.
Yea! Thank you! There are several definitions of the term "ivory tower" - I went with this one from Mirriam-Webster: "a secluded place that affords the means of treating practical issues with an impractical often escapist attitude". So her apartment is the ivory tower, and watching "The Ivory Tower" is her way of escaping the issue of her relationship with Clark. And Clark breaches it, both by physically entering her apartment and metaphorically by prompting them to honestly express their feelings for each other. I know, I over-think things! LOL
Originally Posted by LMA
And great story ideas, Lynn
I tell ya, the request for in-universe fanfiction threw me for a bit of a loop. But I took the idea of fanfiction, of creating a new story, and winked at it throughout as I was writing about them creating new dialogue for the soap opera characters and then used it to allow them to change the story of their relationship. It's all very meta. laugh I'm so happy that it worked!

Thanks, so much, to all of you for your wonderful feedback. It really thrills me beyond words to know how much you all enjoyed what I created. jump

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
[Linked Image]
Breaching the Ivory Tower
Something like Rapunzel? Or will Lois get sucked into her soap opera? Or is this like…wait…is that a Tower of Joy adaption? shock

Lois looked down into the half-eaten carton of chocolate ice cream and frowned. The level was uneven, with a concave distortion marring the otherwise smooth plane.
Can’t have that. Chocolate must always be smooth. Like Clark’s chest, in Lois’s case.

She flipped the spoon over and closed her lips around it, licking the ice cream out of the spoon with her tongue.
CLARK: thud

She should really get up and put the frozen treat away before it melted, but somehow the idea that her solid source of comfort could easily turn to goo seemed an apt metaphor for her current emotional state,
Then again, she could simply eat the entire tub.

“The Ivory Tower” was reliable entertainment, regardless of her mood. She could get lost in the characters, empathize with their outrageous storylines, and never question the romantic entanglements that twisted and turned but ultimately came together. Sure, viewers often had to wait for years, wading through countless obstacles, but eventually, true love won out in the end.
[Linked Image] That sounds familiar… [Linked Image]

Lois picked up the remote and fast-forwarded past a boring plot about the villain of the week until Gwendolyn appeared on screen.
I *know* that one…It’s right there on the tip of my tongue… wallbash

Caught up in a classic love triangle;
A brunette, a blonde, and a guy who doesn’t seem to like women?

“Clark’s a nice man but when you get right down to it, a nice man is still just a man.”
rotflol

Lois frowned at the mental image burned into her retinas – the blonde hussy throwing herself at Clark. Lois grabbed the slightly melted ice cream and scooped a heaping spoonful into her mouth, trying to replace the sour taste of her memory with something sweet.
Maybe he had picked *her* up?
LOIS: Not /munching/ helping!

If Clark was in a relationship with anyone, it was with her.
Which probably made it that much worse…
CLARK: confused

“Yeah?”

rotflol

And there are so many plot twists; really, the writers can probably take any idea and make it work.”

Clark smiled with just a touch of irony. “Complicated love triangles? Clones? Amnesia?”
[Linked Image] No…Castle doesn’t have any love triangles.

She sighed. “At least if you don’t like the show, you can write a new story. Change the plot to make it the way it should have been.”
hyper

Clark looked sideways at her. “You’re a writer. I bet if I looked hard enough, I’d find some of those stories posted by you.”
Only if he logs into the nfic section and looks for Superman fics written by LoLo.

Lois shook her head. “I’m usually too busy shoving ice cream in my face and having a good cry.” Then she sucked in a breath, embarrassed by what she had just revealed. “And you’re going to pretend I didn’t say that.”
laugh

Lois laughed out loud. “Those two are brother and sister!”
JAMIE: huh

The scene changed to a dark-haired man passionately kissing a blonde bombshell.
[Linked Image]

Lois sighed, then said quietly, “You’re mine, now. She could have had you, but she let you slip through her fingers.”
Ooooooh! Clever!

“She looked through the window and saw us kissing in your apartment. Now she knows that you’re with someone else. That she lost her chance.”
evil
CLARK: Oooowwww! That 2 by 4…Did you get that in Smallville?

“But what if it doesn’t work out?” The scene changed, but Lois continued to speak, no longer in synch with the characters on the television. “He’s my best friend, and I can’t lose him.”
Wouldn’t it have been awkward if the man and a brunette on screen had fallen into bed together?

Author’s Note: Lynn wrote a very nice comment in the feedback for one of my stories. So I offered to write a story just for her. These were her requests:
What an adorable story! And what a great gift!

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard