Next Thread
Print Thread
#261443 02/19/15 06:52 PM
C
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
C
In the episode, Miranda only ends up spraying and using the 1% in the end (Superman diluted her 100% solution so that it didn't affect her more than the 1% would). They claim that the 100% would be permanent, but I don't know if I actually believe that necessarily. Do they mean that it would affect them for over 100 years (which would be pretty much "permanent" for everyone sprayed) or do they mean that it would cause major genetic changes to the population?

Also, how long would a different percentage have lasted? Is it a straight line graph or curve? Would it have affected people differently than the 1% did? etc.

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
My understanding was that it would be permanent for the lifetime of the individual sprayed. I had thought that Luthor had been sprayed with the 100% solution, and that that was the reason he was ever after enamoured of Lois.

Joy,
Lynn

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I assumed that the 100% would completely damage/rewire the brain so that the person affected would never get their restraint/inhibitions back, for the duration of their life.

Interesting theory about Lex, Lynn!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Lynn's theory is a very good one. After all, Lex had any number of interesting women interested in him, Miranda being just one of them.

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Thanks, Morgana.

I finally have a few minute free to do a bit of research. This was the scene that made me think that Lex was influenced by the pheromones:
NIGEL
Sir, is everything all right?

LUTHOR
No. Nigel. Something terrible's
happened. Something catastrophic.

NIGEL
The collapse of the world financial
market?

LUTHOR
No, Nigel. Worse. Far worse.

Luthor stands, walks over to the balcony, looks out at the
city below him.

LUTHOR (Cont'd)
Not like you, or any other average
person perhaps, but in my own
strange, and perverted sort of way,
I've... succumbed. I'm in love.
Hopelessly, eternally. I'm in love
with Lois Lane.

NIGEL
It's the perfume, sir. Your mind
is clouded.

LUTHOR
No, Nigel, I'm _really_ in love.
I'm doomed.

Granted, Lex himself discounts my/Nigel's theory, but in this instance, Lex is even less of a reliable witness than usual. After all, Lois et al. did not seem to realize that they were under the pheromone's influence, either, while it was affecting them.

The timing of his falling in love with Lois just strikes me as a little too coincidental if the pheromones weren't involved.

Joy,
Lynn

M
Columnist
Columnist
M
I have always been annoyed at the idea that how diluted the solution is determines how long it lasts. The net amount that a person is exposed to should determine the effects.

If I'm exposed to 1 gram of 1% pheromone, that's 10mg of pheromone in my system. If I'm exposed to 1mg of 100% pheromone, that's 1mg of pheromone in my system. An undiluted spray has a better likelihood of delivering more pheromone given the same delivery, but the delivery system in the show was not very controlled. Getting sprayed straight in the face with a diluted solution should have greater effect than being doused with a 100% solution from several hundred feet up, where it has time to mix with all that air and have some of it blow away.

I don't think that a higher exposure to the point of becoming permanent would cause actual genetic changes, which would then be passed on to the next generation. I imagine that it would cause a permanent change to the brain chemistry such that the victim would never recover from the effects. The implication in the episode seemed to be that the greater the percentage of solution, the longer the effects would last. Realistically, though, I would think that the effects wouldn't last very much longer but rather would be more potent. Think about when you take one tablet of tylenol, and it lasts for 6 hours or so, but if you're in lots of pain, you take two tablets, which give you more pain relief but still only last about 6 hours.

"It is a remarkable dichotomy. In many ways, Clark is the most human of us all. Then...he shoots fire from the skies, and it is difficult not to think of him as a god. And how fortunate we all are that it does not occur to him." -Batman (in Superman/Batman #3 by Jeph Loeb)
C
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
C
Originally Posted by mrsMxyzptlk
I have always been annoyed at the idea that how diluted the solution is determines how long it lasts. The net amount that a person is exposed to should determine the effects.

If I'm exposed to 1 gram of 1% pheromone, that's 10mg of pheromone in my system. If I'm exposed to 1mg of 100% pheromone, that's 1mg of pheromone in my system. An undiluted spray has a better likelihood of delivering more pheromone given the same delivery, but the delivery system in the show was not very controlled. Getting sprayed straight in the face with a diluted solution should have greater effect than being doused with a 100% solution from several hundred feet up, where it has time to mix with all that air and have some of it blow away.

I don't think that a higher exposure to the point of becoming permanent would cause actual genetic changes, which would then be passed on to the next generation. I imagine that it would cause a permanent change to the brain chemistry such that the victim would never recover from the effects. The implication in the episode seemed to be that the greater the percentage of solution, the longer the effects would last. Realistically, though, I would think that the effects wouldn't last very much longer but rather would be more potent. Think about when you take one tablet of tylenol, and it lasts for 6 hours or so, but if you're in lots of pain, you take two tablets, which give you more pain relief but still only last about 6 hours.

Actually the amount of the medicine in said tablet (ex. 100 mg vs 200 vs. 400 etc.) determines both strength and duration, and my theory is that the pheromone works in a similar fashion (in that sense).

I guess what I'm trying to say (and probably failing) is that 1% might be the closest she gets to an "optimal" dosage while 2% given of the same dosage would last longer in the system, because there would be more of the effective ingredient in the system.

I thought I might post this up here as it kind of explains what I'm trying to say: Formula for calculating dosage

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)

Moderated by  bakasi, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard