#261572 02/27/15 08:27 PM
groobie Offline OP
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Posted on Deadline and other outlets today...AWESOME! smile1
Deadline article

Text of the article:

CBS is drawing from the DC Comics superhero TV and film universe for the latest additions to its Supergirl pilot. Dean Cain, who played Clark Kent/Superman in the 1990s TV series Lois & Clark: The New Adventures Of Superman, and Helen Slater, who played Kara Zor-El/Supergirl in the 1984 film Supergirl, are set to guest star in what is described only as “mystery roles.”

Based on the DC Comics characters, Supergirl — from Warner Bros. TV and Berlanti Prods. — centers on Kara Zor-El (Melissa Benoist). Since arriving on Earth, the Krypton-born Kara has been hiding the powers she shares with her famous cousin, Superman. But now at age 24, she decides to embrace her superhuman abilities and be the hero she always was meant to be. They join previously announced Benoist, Chyler Leigh, Calista Flockhart, and David Harewood.

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I know it's unlikely, but wouldn't it be cool if they asked Dean to don the suit again. smile I mean, Superman is supposed to be "older" (in that he arrived on Earth earlier than Kara. I know that some canon has Kara as originally the elder of the two cousins).

Last edited by VirginiaR; 02/27/15 08:32 PM. Reason: clarification

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
groobie Offline OP
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
I doubt he'd want to try squeezing his butt into the Spandex again...but, by all means, feel free! grin devil Speculation so far has circled around Jor-El, Jonathan Kent, Curtis Knox, or Dr. Virgil Swann. I'm just happy he's attached to the show in any role, and hopefully it will extend past the pilot.

Last edited by groobie; 02/27/15 09:17 PM. Reason: more speculation

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Awesome news! clap dance

Really excited to hear about this, and will be curious to find out what character Dean will play.

Thanks for the link sloppy
Laura

Last edited by LMA; 02/27/15 09:20 PM.

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by groobie
I doubt he'd want to try squeezing his butt into the Spandex again...but, by all means, feel free! grin devil
I doubt he'd want to either, but if they asked... his ego might be flattered enough to say 'yes' with certain conditions. wink Hey, we can daydream, can't we?

Speculation so far has circled around Jor-El, Jonathan Kent, or Dr. Virgil Swann. I'm just happy he's attached to the show in any role, and hopefully it will extend past the pilot.
I thought the Virgil Swann character was created for the Smallville (tv show) universe and wasn't Superman (comics) canon. Is this Supergirl show supposed to be set in the same universe as Smallville (tv show)? Because from what you've said about Kara's character, that doesn't really fit. Unless they've finally found her again (if they hadn't during the course of that show). / wallbash Really have to finish watching S9 and S10 of Smallville / Kara isn't raised by the Kents, so I doubt he'd be cast as Jonathan.

I really thought that they came up with a great guest starring role for Dean on Smallville (Vandal Savage) because for us LnC fans, we could picture our Clark willing to do almost anything to save his Lois. I loved those parallels.

VirginiaR.
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
groobie Offline OP
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
I don't know much about the new show. From reading a bit today, it seems the writers and producers are comic fans and involved in "The Flash", which has been having a real success with casting nods to previous versions. Kara herself is sometimes older, sometimes younger than Superman, and colorblind casting has apparently already led to changes in some of the characters. BTW: Calista Flockhart as Cat Grant?! dizzy I have no clue how this show is going to play out, but "The Flash" turned out to be good, so I'm hoping for the best.

Additional speculation: Dean and Helen as Kara's foster parents.

C
Top Banana
Top Banana
C
I think Dean's going to play Zor-El. They don't say who he'll be, and as far as I can tell they're keeping in a closely guarded secret, so that's who I'm speculations he's going to be,

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hot dog!!!! Great news. I hadn't heard that. I have a touch more faith in the Supergirl show now.
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
Kerth
Kerth
Waiting with great interest to see what this show is like, and if I can incorporate any of it into my Supergirl Returns series. If it's a long way off what I've written so far, I may end up having it in the background of future stories as a Superman Foundation authorised TV show (naturally not using her real secret identity etc.), with a running joke about how inaccurate it all is.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I just went on IMDB and Dean's character's name is Fred Danvers and his daughter is Kara Danvers.
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
R
RJS Offline
Blogger
Blogger
R
Don't Blink or you'll miss him.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by RJS
Don't Blink or you'll miss him.
I must of blinked. He was in a background shot, wasn't he?

VirginiaR.
---
R
RJS Offline
Blogger
Blogger
R
Starting at 27 sec. or so for no more than a blink.

LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
I think I might have seen him? smile.

Laura

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by RJS
Starting at 27 sec. or so for no more than a blink.
Oh, there he is. Just have to work the pause button super quickly.

VirginiaR.
---
groobie Offline OP
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Uggghhh...is this going to be as bad as that promo was? Calista is certainly as annoying as she was in Ally McBeal. It felt as lightweight as "Not Another Teen Movie"...but they were serious. frown I hold out hope for the guy from Smash...he at least seemed likeable.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Uggghhh...is this going to be as bad as that promo was? Calista is certainly as annoying as she was in Ally McBeal. It felt as lightweight as "Not Another Teen Movie"...but they were serious. frown
Really? I didn't think it was too bad, except that Kara can't keep a secret.

I hold out hope for the guy from Smash...he at least seemed likeable.
No idea who that is.

LATER: AND that they've given Kara Clark's life, including his associates, his career, and his glasses.

Last edited by VirginiaR; 05/13/15 09:19 PM. Reason: Updated Note

VirginiaR.
---
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Uggghhh...is this going to be as bad as that promo was? Calista is certainly as annoying as she was in Ally McBeal. It felt as lightweight as "Not Another Teen Movie"...but they were serious. frown I hold out hope for the guy from Smash...he at least seemed likeable.

I agree. Devil wears Prada-cheap version* + your average teenage movie on (super)steroids. The leading actress puts too much emphasis in her acting, it's irritating...
*: Calista, drop the botox! Boy, why people in the showbiz can't resolve to age gracefully?!

RJS, do you have super vision, or what? Must be a "Kansas" thing... wink

Go I Know Not Whither and Fetch I Know Not What
groobie Offline OP
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Jeremy Jordon (after searching for him online...couldn't remember his last name earlier). Looks like he's Kara's good friend or boyfriend...the guy in all of the scenes with her trying on new outfits and capes. He's a Broadway kid...was in Newsies. He was great in Smash - 2nd season, where that show really hit its stride (before cancellation!). The scenes with him in the trailer were they only ones I enjoyed, along with the military thing (Bureau 39?). Chyler Leigh (had to look up her last name, too) gets cast in a ton of stuff, but never really delivers...Oooh, I just looked her up in IMDB - she was in Not Another Teen Movie! Calista Flockhart is chewing up the scenery like she's Meryl Streep in The Devil Wears Prada.

Melissa was weak in Glee - blame her or the roll? - she looked like a stronger actor in this trailer. But what is the focus of this show? Her whining about wanting to do more for the world while being unappreciated and belittled at work? Her being a strong, powerful, feminist icon saving the world? Her balancing work, superwork, and life with her boyfriend? (Ooops...guess not...I just looked it up - Jeremy Jordon is apparently Winslow Schott, so that's not destined to work out so well!)

I wanted this to be good...really, I did. But I did not particularly enjoy this trailer. frown

Kerth
Kerth
Sorry to disagree, but I really like the look of this - my impression is that they're showing her at the very beginning, when she's still figuring out what she can do and learning to use her powers effectively. For example, it looks like she's using excessive force and being very careless about ricochets in some scenes, and I suspect that both will cause her serious problems. It doesn't look like we're getting a "training with Superman" montage, which is a real shame.

Is it just me, or does she sound and look a lot like Emily Bett Rickards, Felicity Smoak in Arrow?

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  bakasi, PuffyTiger 

Link Copied to Clipboard