Band of Blue TOC

Chapter 27

Every morning, on the way to work, Lois was reminded of her decision. She stopped at the Java Junction coffee stand on the corner to get her morning caffeine and every time she opened her purse to pay she saw the bullet she had purposefully put in there. I can be strong. I can be his friend.

Every morning, once she arrived at work, Lois started to regret her decision. She saw Clark sat opposite her. She remembered his strong arms holding her, kissing her, flying with her. She remembered his kind personality, his sweet smile and she almost cracked. Almost. Until the first time he unexpectedly disappeared. Then she would wait for his return and the inevitable Superman Save story over the wire. Then she remembered the reasons for her decision again.

Every day. For a week.

It seemed Clark had gotten over her very fast. He didn’t ask her out again, he didn’t even ask her why she slammed the door in his face. It seemed he understood and was accepting the new status of friendship. Part of Lois felt disappointed and part was relieved.

She continued to work on the Lex/DA Sacks investigation. Metron Pharmaceuticals was looking more and more suspicious. One particular project began to stand out in Lois’s mind. A project which had Lex, Sacks, the Mayor and Senator Burke’s names linked together. The official line was that Project Ares was shut down, and that it had been looking into a ‘Super’ vitamin cocktail for soldiers on the front line. Super soldiers indeed. Lois filed the info under ‘suspicious’ and then moved on to more research. She kept Clark up to date on her thoughts as it was meant to be a joint investigation but he seemed more concerned with the missing people pointing towards a serial killer.

By the end of Friday afternoon she was a wreck. She’d emptied her bin three times a day because it became so full of plastic coffee cups and screwed up distracted scribbling. She resolved to take a proper weekend off and not visit the office at all.

When she arrived at work the following Monday morning Clark was not around. With a small sigh of relief she got on with more investigating.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Clark spent most of the week trying to avoid being caught staring at Lois. Since the date she seemed different. She never asked him where he was going when he disappeared and she never made fun of his lame excuses whenever he did offer one. She brought him coffee, donuts, muffins ... photocopies. If he was in the middle of a job when he was ‘called away’, like copying a file, it always seemed to be finished and on his desk whenever he returned. She was being a good friend. She was making it obvious that her relationship with him was limited to friendship. Well he wasn’t going to stand for it. Next week, at the Reunion dance, he would make his move. She better have remembered that she promised to go with me.

Chloe had told him that Lois confessed to being in love with Superman. Well, he was Superman, so if he could just get her to spend enough time with him, if he could kindle a spark in her while he was Clark then the rest was bound to follow.

So ... he glanced at her every chance he got; imagining what he would say, how he would act when they were out together. He pictured himself sliding her hair behind her ear and leaning in for a soft kiss on the darkened dance floor. He imagined her tiny moan in response and felt her snuggle closer to him in his arms. Clark became so good at his covert surveillance that he realised he had wasted too much time that week. His work actually suffered and he didn’t advance his investigation one iota. Thankfully he used his super-speed and caught up once he was aware of his work shortfall.

He spent the weekend searching for the missing homeless people. Clark, as Superman, made numerous rescues and x-rayed every building in Suicide Slum but found nothing. It was late Sunday evening when Clark decided to start x-raying buildings outside the Slums and came across a warehouse which baffled him. Unable to get a clear vision through the walls he entered through a side door at super-speed. What he found inside distressed him to the core. Unfortunately his theory about the homeless people no longer being ‘missing’ was true and the proof was piled in front of him.

Clark dropped to his knees and wept.

All these people. What’s the point in me being Superman if I can’t stop atrocities like this? Why do I have all these wonderful abilities?

Clark spent much of the following week at the police station or the warehouse. He figured out that the inside of the warehouse had been painted with lead based paint and it continued to get in the way of his x-ray vision. Searching for clues was not as easy as it could have been. He had to return to the old-fashioned ways. Ways that he had been using only a few months ago, but which seemed so far away now. He missed being with Lois at the bull pen but there was a desperate need in him to file away every fact in this case. He would find this serial killer and put him where he belonged and even the tiniest detail could help to lead him to the monster that had ripped those poor people to shreds.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Lex, it wasn’t hard to think of himself as Lex anymore, watched the evening news with horror.

“Why wasn’t I notified of this?” he shouted through his intercom to Tess Mercer. She had effectively been demoted to his secretary and he could tell that she wasn’t happy about it.

“Notified of what, sir?” came the reply.

“The pile of body parts found in my down town warehouse!” he shouted and shut off the intercom. He turned to look back to the screen and put his fingers to his temple. Spin, how can I spin this? He sighed and heard the door open behind him, Tess entering.

“Lex, I’ve only just been approached by the police. Here.” She held out a telephone message pad. “They just called to say they had identified the warehouse as LuthorCorp and would be coming to speak to you soon.” He looked up and glared at her then stood and walked around his desk. Stopping in front of the screen he stared.

“A serial killer has been using my warehouse as a dumping ground. This is not going to look good.” He picked up a glass and took a swig of whisky. Such a smooth, intense taste. There are so many things here to love. The glass slipped from his hand and crashed to the floor as he saw something in the background of the news report. “Wait.” He shouted out to stop Tess from leaving the room. “Find out who that man is.” He pointed to the blurry figure working in the background behind the news reporter.

“Who?” Tess came close to the screen.

“Damn it, he’s gone from shot.” He turned and strode back round to sit at his desk, crushing the glass already in bits on the floor.

“Lex?” Tess queried.

“There was a man in the background. Get me a copy of that news report once it has finished and I’ll point him out to you. I need an I.D.”

“Yes sir,” she replied and left. Lex watched her leaving, eying her shapely legs and comparing them to his beloved Faora. He hadn’t thought about her in a long time, but seeing that face on the screen had brought it all back. What a shock, to see an almost identical visage to that of his younger self. If that is who ... what ... I think then maybe my ‘power’ problem is solved.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Clark returned to work to write up his story and entered the bull pen just after 2pm on Friday afternoon. His gaze zeroed in on Lois within seconds and he let out a giant sigh, making papers scatter into the air. Gosh, I’ve missed her, he thought. He reached his desk just as she returned from the copier and they sat down in sync. He smiled to himself.

“Hey, Smallville,” she said without looking up. “How’s the investigation?”

“Frustrating,” he replied truthfully. She stopped writing, put down her pen and looked up at him.

“No leads, huh?”

“Not one. How is it possible that this guy has mutilated so many people and not left any evidence?” Clark ran his fingers through his hair and then growled in frustration. He looked up again when Lois coughed.

“Smallville, sort out your bad hair day, please. It’s all messed up.”

Clark frowned and turned to look in the glass panels nearby. His eyes widened when he realised that his fingers had allowed his hair to fall free rather than slicked back. After adjusting his hairstyle he looked back to Lois.

“Thanks Lois. Er, didn’t want to look a mess all afternoon.”

“Just looking out for you, that’s all.” She was engrossed in her own work again.

“Well, I appreciate it.” He smiled at her, hoping she would look back up at him, but she didn’t. Maybe it’s not going to go so well tonight. I shouldn’t have spent so much time out of the office this week. “So, shall I pick up you at six?”

“What?” Lois brought up her head and Clark could read the shock on her face.

“Tonight. It’s my High School Reunion Dance.”

“Oh, yes.”

“Lois, you didn’t forget did you? We are still on for tonight?”

“Sure.” She waved a hand in the air. “Course I didn’t forget, Smallville. I was just focussed on work.” Clark watched as Lois bit her bottom lip and tried to hide a terrified look. Somehow he just knew that she was terrified. Of what? “Lois, what’s the matter? Have you got other plans now?”

“No!” she practically shouted back at him. “Look, I didn’t forget, alright.”

“So, why do you seem so touchy about it? Is it because of what happened on our other date?”

“Clark, nothing happened on our other date,” she replied sarcastically.

“Don’t you think I know that?” Clark shot to his feet, his voice slightly raised. Lois looked at him with wide, scared eyes. “What happened Lois? We’ve never talked about it. In fact we haven’t talked much in the last few weeks.” Clark stepped out from his desk but stopped himself from going round to Lois when she stood suddenly and stepped backwards.

“What is there to talk about, Clark? We had a nice time out together but that was it.” She had her hands up in defence then she turned and walked away. Clark strode after her and grabbed her arm, turning her to face him.

“What is there to talk about? Lois, you slammed the door in my face.” He paused and sighed. “Did I do something wrong?”

“No, Clark.” She wriggled her arm. “Clark, please let me go.” She looked at him, straight in the eyes, and he couldn’t think. “Clark, please.” Her eyes pleaded with him and he blinked, shaking off the reverie caused by falling into her soul. He released his grip and she walked away.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Lois perched on the edge of the table in the store room and tried to stop herself from shaking. Last week had been so hard; seeing Clark every day; falling deeper and deeper; keeping more and more distance between them. Then he’d spent most of this week chasing after the serial killer and it had been so much easier. Not that she hadn’t missed him - boy, her heart had skipped a beat when she had seen him come into the bull pen – but it had been easy to pretend that he was just a friend when he wasn’t around.

Lois hadn’t forgotten that tonight was the dance. She had just been lost in thought when Clark had brought it up. She’d only just managed to stop him having ‘Superman’ hair for the rest of the afternoon and it had set off the protective thoughts again. Ones she hadn’t had while he’d been away. She liked covering for him. It made her feel special, important in his life. But that’s as far as it can go, she reminded herself.

She stood and headed back to her desk. You need to get that bullet made into a necklace or something. It’s the only way you’ll stay on track.

When she reached her seat there was no sign of Clark. She waited for him to return, to hear about a ‘save’ over the wire, but it never came ... and he never returned.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Clark stood in front of his bedroom mirror and contemplated over which tie to wear with his suit.

“What does it matter anyway, she’s not coming now,” he growled at himself. Acting like a coward for the first time in years he had left the bull pen this afternoon and come home. He’d enjoyed a lovely stew with his parents and then spent time in the shower.

Nothing like a little North by Northwest action to get the blood pumping, huh?
Erm, we usually take turns in the bathroom.
Oh don’t start with me Smallville, you’re the one taking the marathon shower. Besides, my delicate feminine sensibilities weren’t offended the first time I caught a glimpse of Clark Jnr.
My parents kinda missed the whole Woodstock phase. Besides they freaked out the last time the caught me in a co-ed situation.
Last time! So the Eagle Scout does have a few secrets in the closet.
Just forget it alright. That’s my shirt!
It’s the only I could find that was clean. Hey let’s keep this morning’s game of chopper tag a secret, ok?
Right, cause I’m the one who can’t keep my mouth shut. Mom!
Hi.
You’re home.
Hi Mrs Kent.

The memory seemed so real. He remembered how she used to drive him crazy. He remembered the annoyance and frustration she caused in his life. But it never happened. It wasn’t real. But she still drove him crazy anyway. He was crazy with desire; crazy with need. He needed her, so badly. But she wasn’t feeling the same.

He picked the blue, red and yellow striped tie and slid it round his neck. Picking up his watch he checked the time. Six o-clock. The time he’d said he would pick her up. Well, that wasn’t going to happen. He’d go see Chloe and spend a bit of time with her before heading out to the reunion together.

As he turned away from the drawers his eyes caught a glance at the box sat there. He turned back and opened it. There was the destroyed bracelet; blue beads scattered randomly about. He reached in and picked one up. All he felt was a strange tingle up his arm. It’s such a shame I can’t wear this anymore. He put the blue kryptonite bead back down and picked up the other object. The school ring.

She’s not coming. I know it looks ridiculous on but it’s my school ring.

He slipped it into his jacket pocket and headed downstairs.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Lois stared at the door. It was half past six and Clark still wasn’t here. She stood up and walked around, pacing. She looked at her watch again and groaned.

What’s going on? Clark would never be this late, even with an ‘emergency’. He’s also not the kind of guy to stand up a gal. Why isn’t he here?

As she continued to pace it dawned on her that maybe he wasn’t coming for her because he thought she wanted to back out. She dropped to the couch and held her head in her hands.

“No!” Lois felt so confused. “Why can’t he see that I want to be his friend? That I am his friend. I still want to go to the dance with him.”

She strode to the door, grabbed her coat and bag and began digging inside for her door and car keys.

“I’m going to be there, whether he takes me or not.”

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Clark wandered around the school hall taking in all the decorations and balloons. Everything was red and yellow, the school colours. The dance hadn’t been going very long and not many people had arrived. He was early as he hadn’t needed to go and pick up Lois. Chloe was over by the drinks talking to the lady serving. As he walked around he found himself remembering the good times, especially times spent at The Torch. The time spent with Chloe chasing Meteor Freaks had helped prepare him for work at the Daily Planet and also for being Superman.

He stood at one side of the dance floor and watched as people arrived. He saw Lana walk through the door. She saw him and smiled. She set of walking towards him then stopped and felt up to her neck. She was wearing her green meteor rock necklace. She still didn’t know the truth but she knew that it hurt him. She gave a sad wave to Clark then turned and walked away.

Clark felt a genuine smile creep up his face when he noticed some other good friends walk in together. A bunch of football players had arrived. He walked up to greet his fellow teammates.

“How’s it going?” he asked them and received many replies of ‘great’, ‘fine’, ‘good’. After a few moments of chatting he began to notice something. They were all wearing the school ring. Clark felt down to his pocket. It was still there. He glanced at his bare hand and then back at his teammates’. He smiled once more as he rejoined in the conversation, reaching into his pocket and slipping the ring onto his finger.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Dun, dun, duhhhhh! *cliffhanger music*

KatherineKent/Victoria
Lois: "You put up with me for the same reason I put up with you. It's because I'm completely in love with you."
Clark: "And I love you ... Did we just make up?"
Lois: "I think so."