The Foundling - Matchmaker Style

Rated PG-13

* * denotes emphasis
< > denotes thoughts
As always comments are welcome. (ken.janney@kjanney.com)

Previously

Superman had been flying back and forth across the cityscape all morning. Suddenly, he headed down and landed, out of sight in an alley. He checked around with his super-vision and hearing to make sure he was isolated before he spun out of his uniform. He knew that he was taking a chance, but he had to try to get more information and that was why he had traced Jack.

He dropped all appearance of stealth as he walked down the alley, toward a particular building. Approaching the boarded up entrance he moved a board slightly and slipped inside.

Clark found a stairwell and ascended the steps, quietly, but not stealthily. At the top he found what appeared to be an empty room. His super-hearing told him that the room was in fact inhabited so he called out, "Jack?"

Hearing his approach, Jack and Denny had both ducked out of sight. Hearing his name being called, Jack stepped out of the shadows and when he did, Clark could see that he had a piece of pipe, gripped like a baseball bat.

Clark put up his hands and Jack, seeing that he wasn't making any threatening moves, lowered the pipe. Jack challenged, "What are you doing here? How'd you find me?"

Clark gave him an answer that he thought he would accept, "Louie. He knows guys who know guys." Seeing Jack relax his stance some, he pressed ahead, "I need an answer to a question." Suddenly, his super-hearing picked up another sound and peering into the gloom, Clark challenged, "Who's there?"

Denny stepped out of the gloom and stopped next to his brother. Denny was also armed. He had a section of a 2x4 in his hands.

Jack was surprised when he saw Clark start to smile. He didn't know that it was in response to the sight of Denny dressed up in Clark's Jacket.

Jack was beginning to feel that he could probably trust Clark, at least a little so he said to Denny, "It's all right." He didn't want Denny to become too involved, which he would if he heard too much. Jack looked down at Denny and said, "I want you to take a walk."

Denny expressed his reluctance, "Aw, Jack …"

Not willing to accept any rebellion and wishing to keep him safe, Jack said, "Do it. Just don't go too far."

Reluctantly, Denny obeyed his brother. He dropped the 2x4 and pulling the jacket close about his skinny frame he walked out, giving Clark a wide berth as he did, watching him warily.

Clark gave Denny a chance to exit the building before he addressed Jack. While he waited he took in the surroundings in detail. When he finally spoke, he said, "You can't expect to live here like this."

Jack's bravado hadn't deserted him and he replied, "We've got a plan. Soon as I get enough money together …"

Clark interrupted, "By stealing?"

Not wishing his lifestyle to be challenged, Jack challenged, "Ask your question and get out."

More concerned with what he had observed, Clark asked, "Who's the other boy?"

Jack challenged, "What's it to you?" When he saw that Clark wasn't going to back down and deciding that the information would probably be safe, he replied, "He's my brother."

Clark always cared about children, especially those that appeared to be abandoned, like these two looked to have been, "What about your parents? Your home?"

Clark could see the shake of Jack's head in response to his question and pressed on, "Isn't there someplace you can go? Someone?"

Jack could feel the sincerity in Clark's words and attitude. Intuitively, he knew that this was someone that actually cared so he started to open up. "We tried that. Lots of times. We're better off this way." Then his natural reticence took over and he returned to the subject, "What's your question?"

Clark sensed that he had pushed about as far as he could, at least for now, so he asked, "The man who bought the globe: What did he look like? Please. The truth this time. It's very important."

"There were two. The one I dealt with was tall. An English dude. Never saw him before or since."

Clark asked, "That's all? Nothing else?"

"Well, I did get a glimpse of the other. He was younger, but not much. Tall, but not as tall as the English dude. He had a hat on, but I did see his face. Clean shaven. Dark hair. I think I've seen him before, but I can't be sure."

Clark had been nodding in understanding as Jack had been giving his descriptions. The descriptions fit Nigel St. John and Lex Luthor.

Clark heard Denny coming up the stairs. As he entered the room, Clark looked back and forth between them and said, "I can help you, both of you, if you'll let me."

Jack replied with disdain, "You want to help? Leave us alone."

Clark could see the look of determination on the faces of both boys. With a nod of his head he decided to give them what they desired, at least for the time being. He turned away and made his way from the building.

After talking with Jack, Clark returned to the Planet. Lois thought that he had simply been searching. She said, "I think we need to talk to Jack again. He knows more than he said. After you ran out after him I found these," she laid out the pictures she had found. "They prove that he was lying."

"I know. I just had a talk with him. He described the men who bought the globe. A tall Englishman and another man … tall, younger with dark hair. Sound familiar?"

Lois had gasped at the word, Englishman and as he had continued, her ire had escalated. She spat out, "Nigel and Lex."

"That's my guess as well."

"I guess that confirms our worst fears then."

"I guess so."

And Now

Chapter 8

Nigel had taken the globe, enclosed in a lead box, to one of Luthor’s laboratory facilities on the outskirts of the city with directions for them to perform a complete analysis. There was a single stipulation – no one was to touch the device with a bare hand at any time and even contact with a gloved appendage was to be kept to an absolute minimum.

Nigel had stayed with the globe as it made its way from lab to lab. At each stop the personnel responsible for each test explained what it was and what the expected result would be, then they asked if they could have his permission. Everyone knew Nigel by sight and since his reputation had preceded him, no one wanted to do anything that would draw his ire. Actually that was bad enough, but everyone knew that they wouldn’t survive Luthor’s wrath.

The globe was submerged in various liquids, weighed, measured, bombarded with lasers of various frequencies and characters. They tried ionizing and non-ionizing radiation. It was subjected to electrical discharges, freezing baths and boiling liquids. Files of tempered steel and even diamond imbedded were used to try to get a sample of the material without so much as a particle being removed.

After a full day of testing, the globe was completely unscathed and the report had been presented to Nigel.

The globe had been replaced in the lead enclosure and Nigel had returned it to Luthor’s private art exhibit.

Late in the afternoon, after Lex had disposed of the business of the day, he called Nigel to his office.

When Nigel entered, he asked, “Well?”

“The analysis has been completed, sir.”

Placing his hands on his desk he pushed his chair back and standing said, “Good. Let’s go look at my prize.”

Once again, Nigel and Lex approached the vault door. Nigel opened it and he and Luthor entered. When Nigel threw the switch to turn on the lights it looked like a new one had been installed over the crystal pedestal, but appearances could be deceiving.

Luthor didn't see this right away because he was busy going over some papers that Nigel had handed to him just before they had entered. He read aloud, "Let's see ... Impervious to harm by any force known to man: heat, cold, radiation, pressure, puncture, nothing. So dense it can't be scanned for content or composition. Warm to the touch, but with no obvious moving parts or power source. Definitely of ..." he looked up as he finished saying, "...alien origin."

Nigel commented, "Unquestionably."

Luthor was finally not looking at the papers in his hand and saw the light coming from the globe. He gestured at the glowing device and asked, "Shall we?"

Nigel bowed and said, "After you, sir."

Stepping over to the pedestal, Luthor reached out and placed his fingers on the surface of the globe. The light increased and the hologram started.

After speaking with Jack, Clark had been out most of the day, searching. He had finally returned to the newsroom to join Lois. He had brought in take-out for dinner and they had been going over the additions to the list of Luthor facilities that Jimmy had provided.

Suddenly, they heard Jor-El, "There is no longer any doubt. The chain reaction has begun. As panic spreads, the population awakens, too late, to its fate. Our future is inevitable."

There was a pause and then they heard a computer like tone.

As Luthor watched, the man in the hologram waved his hands above the console that he had seen before. Suddenly the scene started to shake again, another obvious planetquake. A light began to blink on the panel in front of him.

The man and the woman were knocked to the floor by the violence of the tremor. When the shaking subsided, an urgent light began to blink.

The man struggled to his feet and did something at the console that turned the light off. Then the woman joined him. Another, different light started to flash on the console. The console screen blinked in sequence then scrolled data which was unintelligible to Luthor.

After the tone, Jor-El's voice returned, "At last the computers have located a suitable destination: a planet physically and biologically compatible with Krypton whose inhabitants resemble ours, and whose society is based on ethical standards which we, too, embrace in concept, if not always in deed."

As Luthor and Nigel watched, the screen in front of the man resolved into first a star chart and then telescoped in until a representation of the Earth as seen from space filled the screen.

"The inhabitants call it simply, Earth."

Lois threw her arms around Clark and said, "That means that the selection of this planet was not random. You must have been sent here deliberately."

As the light from the globe faded, Luthor withdrew his hands. He was somewhat out of sorts. He was learning a little without really learning anything of any consequence. The fact that there was no audio to go along with the video was frustrating him.

He said, "It ended with a picture of the Earth. Was it coincidence or was it the object of a search and if a search, for what purpose. Did they send Superman here deliberately, just to make my life miserable or present me with a challenge?"

Nigel offered, "The holographic technology is amazingly clear."

In an offhand manner, Luthor agreed, "Yes, the picture quality rivals cable."

"If we could duplicate the technology every home in America would be clamoring for one."

"Assuming we could add audio."

"Of course."

Just on the off chance that he would get a response, Luthor reached out and touched the globe again. There was no response. He muttered, "I must have patience." Thinking again and turning to Nigel he said, "There is one thing you could do for me in the interim."

Nigel almost came to attention as he said, "Ask away."

In an offhand manner, Luthor said, "I'm suddenly more than ever interested in where this thing came from. Can we do something about that?"

"Oh, I think that there might be something we can do."

Lois and Clark were both at his desk looking at the map. It was a patchwork of ‘X's which indicated all of the facilities that he had been able to search. After the last message that they had heard they knew that it was becoming critical that they find the globe. The connection between Krypton and Earth had been established in the last message and undoubtedly an explanation of how Kal-El had been sent there as a baby would be coming up soon. If the fact that he had come here as a baby were revealed there were only a few short steps between that fact and Clark Kent.

Lois pointed at a block of buildings just outside of center city which was void of any markings. "I wonder why Lex doesn't have any holdings in that area."

Looking at it, Clark said, "That's not really a commercial area. That's where the museum and all of those shops are located. It's more touristy."

"Oh, you're right. I knew that. I guess the lack of sleep is catching up with me."

Denny was surprised when Jack came in with a bag of groceries; he had been expecting burgers and fries from a fast food joint. “What’s up with this, Jack? I thought you were going out to get something for dinner.”

With a shrug, Jack replied, “They wouldn’t sell me anything. When I tried to pay with a hundred dollar bill they just asked where I got it, like it couldn’t really be mine. I had to go to a grocery store and tell them that my mom had sent me out for food. It’s still edible. Make yourself a sandwich and quit gripin’.”

They had eaten a couple of sandwiches each when Jack heard a noise in the building. He couldn’t be sure that he had heard something so he signaled to Denny to be quiet. Because of the lifestyle that they had led for so long, Denny obeyed without question.

When Jack heard the scrape of a shoe sole on the rubble of the lower floor repeated, he signaled to Denny to disappear.

They each picked up their preferred weapon, Denny the 2x4 and Jack the section of pipe and disappeared around the corner into an alcove.

Their caution was rewarded when two toughs stepped into the room and looked around. Seeing the groceries, one said to the other, “Look around. He’s gotta be here.”

Realizing that they were only looking for him and wanting to protect Denny, Jack signaled to him to stay put and then he stepped out into the room. He held the pipe up in a threatening attitude and said, “What do you want?”

The leader said, “Look at what we have here. He’s a feisty one.”

“Get out of here and leave me alone.”

“No can do, kid. The boss wants to talk to you.”

“Well, I don’t want to talk to him. Leave me alone.”

“The boss don’t like it when he doesn’t get his way. You’re commin’ with us, kid.” The thug reached for Jack.

When he did, Jack swung his pipe like a baseball bat hitting the thug a solid thwack on the arm. The thug howled in pain and grabbed his arm.

Before Jack had a chance to recover the other thug was on him and had him in a bear hug. While he was being held the thug Jack had hit now roared in anger and used his uninjured hand to back-hand Jack across the face.

Jack was knocked unconscious by the blow. He was young, but his constitution was weakened by poor nutrition for an extended period of time.

The thug that had been holding Jack, slung him over his shoulder and started to carry him out while his partner cradled his injured arm with his good hand.

Denny had wanted to go to Jack’s rescue, but Jack had cautioned him over and over that if anything happened he was to remain hidden. He didn’t come out of hiding until he could no longer hear them moving around in the building. Then he grabbed the jacket and throwing it on, headed out of the building.

In a disreputable part of Suicide Slum, Denny, wearing Clark's jacket, was running through the alley, heedless of any danger. He was in an almost blind panic. Breaking out of the alley he stopped dead in his tracks and looked around. On the corner he spotted an all-night drug store. Reaching into the pocket of the jacket he felt around and found what he was looking for. He pulled out the business card that Jack had given him and looked at it. He wasn't sure just how much help this guy would be, but he had seen him in their hideaway and he had seemed like he wanted to help. He thought that of all the people in Metropolis, he was the only one he thought he could trust.

Breaking from his cover he headed for the drugstore. He found a phone booth in a corner, pulled some coins from his pocket and dropping them into the slot placed the call.

Clark was just coming back from making them each a cup of coffee when suddenly his phone rang.

Lois picked it up and said, “Daily Planet, Clark Kent’s phone.”

Denny asked, “Is Mr. Kent there?”

“I’m his wife. Can I help you?”

“I gotta talk to Mr. Kent.”

“Okay, he’ll be right here. Hold on.” She placed her hand over the mouthpiece and said, “Clark, it’s a kid.”

Clark brightened up, “Is it Jack?”

“I don’t know. He didn’t say.”

Setting down the coffee, Clark took the receiver and said, “This is Clark Kent.”

“Mr. Kent, this is Denny. They took Jack.” He started crying into the phone.

Clark was startled, “They took Jack? Who took him?”

“I don’t know. A couple of tough guys. Jack hit one of them. I think he hurt him because he got mad and hit Jack and I think he knocked him out.”

Lois could see Clark’s expressions and hear his side of the conversation and was becoming concerned.

Denny voice was shaking with fear as he continued, “They took Jack. I don't know who the men were.” He paused to catch his breath, “I’m afraid that they're gonna hurt him.”

Clark tried to calm him with his voice, “Where are you?”

Denny told him the location of the drug store.

“Okay. Look, Denny, I want you to go straight to the 12th Precinct police station and ask for Inspector Henderson. Got that? Inspector Henderson. My wife, the woman that answered the phone, will be there too. If she isn’t there when you arrive, tell Henderson I sent you. Don't worry about Jack. I'll find him.”

Clark hung up the phone and turned to Lois, “It looks like Luthor has grabbed Jack. I don’t know what Jack told him, but he probably wants to know exactly where Jack ‘found’ the globe. If Jack tells him that it was in our apartment it could tie us to Superman and I don’t think that Luthor will be put off as easily as Jack was by saying that we were holding it for a friend. I need to go look for him. I need to rescue him, before he tells Luthor about us.”

“I agree with you. You have to rescue him. Not only to protect The Secret, but I don’t think that Luthor would let him live to testify against him.”

“Yeah, you’re right. I need you to go to the Twelfth and find Denny. Honey, I need you to take care of him. He’s thirteen or fourteen and he’s got no one, but his brother. He needs someone to look after him.”

Lois grabbed her jacket and started out, but she turned and said, “Okay, I’ll find him. Be careful out there. You know who we are dealing with.”

comments go here

TBC

Last edited by KenJ; 02/27/15 12:31 PM.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj