Band of Blue TOC

Chapter 25

Lois stared at the small deformed object on her dressing table. He’ll be here any moment and I’m only half ready.

She sighed in resignation. “Well, what did you expect, Lois Lane? You’re never on time for anything and coupled with the giant butterflies residing in your gut it’s a wonder you’ve even got your dress on the right way round.”

She turned away and picked up her shoes from on her bed. As she hopped around on one leg trying to slip the black patent high-heeled shoe onto her foot she found herself facing the dressing table again ... and that incriminating, shiny blob of metal. She put her foot down and stared again.

“Clark, what happened?”
“He tried to shoot you. He must have missed.”
“I thought ... It looked like he got you!”
“I didn’t know you cared.”
She punched him in the arm. “How can you joke at a time like this?”
“Sorry. I guess he missed me too.”

“But did he really miss you, Clark?” Lois was so deep in thought that she jumped in shock when she heard the doorbell. “He’s here,” she whispered to herself and instinctively ran to the door in excitement. She was half way before she realised she only had one shoe on and was running lob-sided. She stopped and turned meaning to return to the bedroom then she remembered the door and turned back again.

“Lois, get it together,” she chided herself. She shook her head at herself in annoyance. You really have to stop letting him get to you this way. She pushed her nervousness away and aimed for calm, ignoring all raging emotions for the moment. This allowed her to actually make a decision and head for the door. When she opened it she caught her breath at the sight she was greeted with. He was turned away, probably waiting patiently for her to open the door. The cut of his charcoal suit emphasised the broadness of his shoulders. Her eyes drifted down from there to his waist where she noticed the split at the back of his jacket. Unable to keep from looking further down she lingered on the spot where the split parted over his backside.

God, she moaned. How could I have ever mistaken that ass for anything else?

Lois realised she must have moaned out loud when Clark whipped round quickly. His eyes caught hers and he smiled. She couldn’t help but smile in reply. She was mortified when she realised it was a shy smile.

“Hi,” he said. His eyes sparkled.

“You’re early,” she accused, trying to shake off the nervousness. Ok, so my Vulcan calm disappeared at first sight.

“Sorry,” he replied. “I can come back in five minutes.” He twisted slightly and pointed down the corridor.

“No.” She reached out her hands and grabbed his arms, dragging him inside. “It’s ok. I’ll only be a few minutes.” She released him and headed back to the bedroom. “Make yourself comfortable on the couch.”

Clark dropped into place and waited patiently. Lois stared at him from the doorway to her bedroom and remembered the last time he’d been on that couch ... the night he’d stayed. She’d kissed him that night, needing some comfort. An errant thought passed through her mind that there might be another kiss to come. Feeling a blush creeping up her neck she rushed into her bedroom to finish dressing.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Clark sat in silence, waiting patiently. He’d been waiting for this since Wednesday. Actually, if he thought about it he’d been waiting for this since first laying eyes on Lois. He felt her eyes on him and wondered what she was thinking. His heart began to race and then, suddenly, the pressure lifted. He shifted on the couch and turned to look behind. She wasn’t there. He turned back and relaxed.

He waited patiently but after a few minutes he found his nervousness growing. Looking around the room his gaze landed on the doors out to the balcony. His leg started jiggling up and down and he had to firmly place a hand on his knee to stop the involuntary movement. He stood and began to pace. As he passed the balcony again he found himself listening for signs of Lois’s progress. His super-hearing picked up some muttering and shuffling from the bedroom.

‘Stupid shoes with stupid thin heels.’ Clark heard more muttering followed by drawers opening. He turned off his hearing and continued to pace. Passing the balcony again he glanced out. He instinctively listened out for the sound of shouts and sirens.

“Go, have fun, romance her. We’ll take care of the city tonight.” Clark remembered Ollie’s command from earlier in the day and tried to shut out the sounds. He shut out so much that he didn’t hear Lois come up behind him. When she touched his shoulder he jumped in surprise and turned around.

“Wow,” Clark’s stunned reaction slipped out. Lois was wearing a tight, long black dress. He glanced down and noticed flat, strappy, black sandals on her feet. Slowly moving his gaze upwards an inch at a time he passed the ruffled hem just above her ankles, the shiny silk smoothing over her hips, the low cut neckline and the wide ribbon straps. Looking back into her face, framed by softly cascading curls he could no longer deny the full extent of his feelings; the absolute truth of his need for this woman. He raised his hand to her cheek. “You’re beautiful,” came his breathy compliment.

“Uh, thanks.” Lois stepped back, away from his touch. Clark recognised the physical and psychological distancing she was doing. Even though she had agreed to a date with him, even though he knew their relationship was growing and deepening, she was still afraid. I’ll just take it slow. Slow and steady. Show her she can trust me.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

“So, how did you get started in Journalism?” Lois asked Clark. She picked up a breadstick and started nibbling on the end. It gave her hands something to do, and also stopped her mouth from yammering on. The butterflies in her stomach were desperate to chatter about any and every thought going through her head but to vocalise her current inner monologue would be a disaster.

Clark looked at his watch. “Wow. A whole thirty minutes before you mentioned work.” He raised his eyebrow in jest.

“Come on, Smallville. It’s not work ... exactly.”

“Well, there was a cheating scandal on the assessment test the first year of high school. There was a mix up and I was accused of being involved. I was determined to clear my name so I investigated and managed to reveal the true perpetrators. It was exciting. I found that it awakened a deep desire in me; a need for truth.”

“Truth, huh?” Lois garbled through her teeth while chewing.

“Truth is fundamental in our society. Without knowing the truth we can’t give out Justice correctly and our way of life ... the American Way ... would collapse.”

“Truth, Justice and the American Way, eh?” Lois grinned.

“Sounds cliché, doesn’t it?” Clark smiled a little embarrassed.

Lois put down the breadstick and looked at Clark. She tilted her head slightly to one side. “Hasn’t Superman been quoted as fighting for ‘Truth, Justice and the American Way’?”

“Superman!” Clark coughed. “Yeah, I think so.”

They stared at each other in awkward silence for a moment then the waiter arrived. Lois exhaled a breath she didn’t realise she’d been holding and then ordered.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Clark stared in awe as Lois ordered. She was so confident. She stated exactly what she wanted, made it clear if she required any ‘adjustment’ to the dish in question and expected the waiter to keep up with her super-speed ordering.

“So ... what about you, Lois. How did you get into Journalism?” Clark asked. He leant forwards indicating earnest interest.

“I blame it all on Chloe.” Lois waved her hand around in the air. Clark felt the change in tension level. She was calmer now. Or rather, she was more like Lois. “She wrote an article years ago and submitted it to the Daily Planet under my name. To this day I’ve never really understood her reasoning for not using her own name.” Clark watched as she shook her head. It made her curls bounce and a few more came free from the messy knot on the top of her head. “Anyway, the editor came looking for me ... er, her ... a few years later, found me instead, and I thought ‘sure why not?’” Lois shrugged and it drew Clark’s gaze to her shoulders. When he didn’t speak in reply Lois obviously noticed. “Smallville?” she queried quietly but he couldn’t move his gaze.

“Clark!” she shouted and he finally responded.

“Sorry, Lois. Lost in thought.” He looked away from her. Take it slow, Clark. Slow, or you’ll chase her off like last time. And staring at her like a love-sick puppy is not going to reassure her.

“So. I’ve not seen you at work these last few days, Lois.”

“That’s because you haven’t been there,” she replied voice tinged with sarcasm. She pointed at him with the remnants of her breadstick. “What’s the big story that’s kept you away?”

“Now we really are in ‘work territory’.”

“Come on, Smallville! It’s the biggest thing we have in common,” Lois pointed out. “Apart from possibly Chloe, but that can of billionaire worms is for another day.”

Clark took a sip of water while he let the subject of Chloe and Oliver pass.

“Spill it. What’s your big scoop? Something’s kept you out of the bull pen for three days.” She frowned at him then suddenly jumped in her chair and widened her eyes in shock. “No! It’s not me is it? Oh God. It is. You’ve been avoiding me.” She dropped her head into her hands. “I’ve made such a mess of this. Saying no; pushing you away; saying yes.” She groaned.

“Lois, no.” Clark leant forwards and took hold of one hand. He pulled it away from her face forcing her to look back up at him. “It’s not you. I have got a scoop. I ...” He stopped and let go of her hand. “Ahh, I’m not falling for that.” He laughed at her. “You really are Mad Dog Lane.”

Lois reached forward and punched him on the arm. “Hey. I’m just making conversation. And I’m not the type to steal a story.” She looked offended.

“Sorry, Lois. I know that.” He looked her directly in the eyes and weighed up whether to share his hunch. He looked away for a moment then returned his gaze to her, holding it intently. “I’ve been following the story of some missing homeless people, but I don’t think they are missing any longer. I’ve got a feeling they are dead.” He paused to see what Lois’s reaction would be. Her eyes widened a little but she didn’t speak. “I think there is a serial killer out there; targeting people that no-one will miss.”

Lois looked down at the small stump of a breadstick left in her hand. “That’s a mighty big story; chasing a Jack the Ripper.”

“Yeah, well it’s just something I’ve got to do. I need to chase this story.” Clark spoke quietly, inwardly feeling he should be able to do more than just write a story. I should be finding this creep as Superman and taking him out.

“If you’re right I bet Superman is beating himself up about this; letting a serial killer wander his streets.” Clark looked up a Lois in shock. Did she just read my mind? But she was looking away.

“Where is that lazy waiter? I’m sure our food must be ready by now.” She picked up a knife and started tapping it on the table. Clark watched as she changed to look over her other shoulder. The knife tapping increased until it loosened itself free from her fingers and clattered to the floor. Lois jumped in shock and turned back to the table. She reached down for the knife and, after placing it back on the table, she went back to craning her neck in search of the food.

“Lois.” He tried to get her attention. She turned back and looked at him, just above his head.

“Yes?” Then she turned away again. She can’t look me in the eye. Why?

“Lois, just ... he’s here.” Clark noticed the waiter approaching at that moment and indicated, letting the comment he’d been going to make about her avoidance go.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

They both sat in silence while the food was served and wine was poured. When the waiter had walked away Lois broke the silence first.

“I think maybe it would be a good idea to put work on the ‘no-go’ list. Let’s keep the conversation a little lighter.” I couldn’t take another embarrassing moment like that one. I shouldn’t have mentioned Superman. Why can’t I keep my mouth shut? Superman is not a good subject to bring up. Too complicated.

“Sure.” Clark smiled at her and her heart skipped a beat. What a smile. “So, tell me what it was like growing up on an Army base.” He picked up his fork and began eating.

“Nothing like growing up on a farm I guess.” She replied casually and focused on her food.

“So ... no comment comparing soldiers to cattle, eh?” Clark laughed and she smiled up at him. Gosh he’s adorable.

“Er.” Lois took a deep breath to regain her focus. “Funny guy! No, I’ve got a real respect for those who put their lives on the line to protect our country and our people.” Lois looked intently at Clark. And I wish I could tell you how much I respect you, but I’m not ready for that revealing conversation yet.

Clark glanced away then went back to eating. “I understand, Lois. There is such a sense of responsibility and purpose when you are saving the world. Those guys deserve everyone’s respect.”

You sure do. Lois continued staring at Clark. When she felt tears beginning to well up she forced herself to look away and began eating.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Clark mused over Lois’s conversation and behaviour. She seemed nervous at the strangest of comments. She prattled on sometimes then went silent for minutes at a time. By the time the dessert arrived he was completely confused. Does she actually like me? Why did she agree to come on a date? In fact it was her who suggested it.

Clark tried to observe her secretly as they each tucked into a delicious Chocolate Fudge Cake. She slid her fork into the cake and dragged off a small piece. It balanced on the edge of the fork all the way to her mouth. Clark held his breath as he watched her open her mouth in preparation. He could tell that Lois was tense in anticipation. She closed her lips around the fork then shut her eyes, pulling out the fork slowly. Her shoulders relaxed and she moaned.

“Ooooh. Delicious.” She opened her eyes and looked at Clark. He released the breath he had been holding and started on his own piece. The date had just turned from part friendly/part awkward to intensely sexual. They both stared at each other with surprise then looked away in tandem.

“Er, would you like a coffee after this?” Clark asked quite casually.

“Sure.” Lois forked some more cake into her mouth. “Actually, let’s have it in more relaxed surroundings, back at my place.” Lois looked up at Clark and her eyes widened.

Did she really just invite me back for coffee?

“Just ... just to save on money and be relaxing,” she continued, her words tumbling out quickly.

“Of course.” Clark smiled at her. Well, it’s a start.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Lois’s inner monologue the whole way home consisted of her berating herself most fiercely.

He’s definitely gonna expect more now you’ve invited him to end the night at your apartment. Good job, you may as well have ‘invited him in for a nightcap’. Why did you even suggest this? You know that a relationship with Clark will be too complicated. If it was just Superman then that would be great. If it was just Clark then that would also be as fine. But ... he’s not just Clark.

She stole a look at the man riding up in the elevator with her.

He’s definitely not just Clark. How can I continue with this? How can I let him in, just to break my heart? People call me Mad Dog Lane but I’m really just a soft puppy. And this ‘pack leader’ could tear my heart to shreds.

As they approached her apartment door she reached into her bag to pull out her key but her fingers slipped and they fell to the floor. Clark knelt down and picked them up. Turning to look at him she smiled. “Thanks.” He passed them to her and their fingers touched.

“You’re welcome, Lois.” He smiled and she almost fell into his eyes. God, this is so hard. She turned back and opened her door. Surprisingly the key went in and turned without trouble despite her trembling fingers. She opened the door and turned back to Clark. He wasn’t presuming anything even though she’d invited him back for coffee. He was waiting at the door like the perfect gentleman he was. He was still smiling at her.

“I had a really nice time, Clark.” Her voice trembled. “A really nice time.” She paused. “But we can never do this again.” She turned and slammed the door.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

I'll just bet you've got something to say now.

KatherineKent/Victoria
Lois: "You put up with me for the same reason I put up with you. It's because I'm completely in love with you."
Clark: "And I love you ... Did we just make up?"
Lois: "I think so."