The Foundling - Matchmaker Style

Rated PG-13

* * denotes emphasis
< > denotes thoughts
As always comments are welcome. (ken.janney@kjanney.com)

Previously

Later, Clark came out of the stairwell, straightening his tie. As he approached his desk, Lois lifted her shoulders in question. Shaking his head in the negative he dropped into his chair, the very picture of disappointment. Lois got up and moved over to his desk. She perched on the corner and bending down asked, "Nothing, huh?"

"I scanned the top ten floors. There was actually very little that I could see. If it isn't lead sheets, Luthor has gone to the extent of painting a majority of his offices with lead based paint, probably just so that I can't monitor his activities."

With a smirk, she said, "There you go! If he had nothing to hide why would he do that? Okay, while you were out, Jimmy got me a partial list." She jumped up and went to her desk retrieving a piece of paper. Returning to his desk she placed it in front of him. Pointing to entries, she said, "My guess is that he would want to have it ‘checked out' to make sure it's legit. That means that he'd probably send it to one of his labs. I've highlighted those on this list. I think you need to check them out. Who knows, we might get lucky."

Taking the list, Clark headed for the stairwell once more.

As he was disappearing through the door, Perry came out of his office and approached Lois's desk. "Where's Clark off to?"

"Oh, hi Perry. He's, uh, helping me with the crime story. Since it became personal with our apartment being robbed. He's gone to check on a few things … for the story."

"Do you have anything you can give me yet?"

Lois considered and then asked, "Can I speak with you in your office, Chief?"

Curious, Perry said, "Sure. Anytime. Let's go."

Lois got up and followed Perry into his office. When they were inside and the door closed, Perry moved around, sat behind his desk and asked, "Okay, what do you have?"

"Well, you see Perry, it's this way. This story is about petty crime, but we think there are bigger fish involved. There have been rumors of a crime boss running most of the rackets in Metropolis. We're starting to work on that angle. We don't know where it will lead, but we may have to go undercover at some point."

"Will you need more assistance?"

"Jimmy is helping."

"Is there someone that you suspect?"

"I hesitate to say. Let me just say that it isn't someone you would suspect."

"That covers a lot of territory, Darlin'."

"I know, Perry, but if we can get the goods on him, it will blow the lid off of the rackets in Metropolis, but good. We could be talking Pulitzer here."

Perry sat back in his chair, stunned. He started to smile and said, "That big, huh?"

"Yeah, that big."

"If you and that husband of yours can pull this off, it'll be the coup of the century."

Later that night Nigel and Luthor approached a large vault door in a darkened sub-basement. Nigel entered the combination and the ponderous door slowly swung open. As they entered, Nigel flipped a switch which lit the enclosure with a subdued lighting. The center of the room was suffused with indirect light, supplied by the lights in the alcoves around the walls.

Luthor was carrying an ornate black lacquered box as if it contained the British Crown Jewels in his gloved hands. In the center of the room a crystal pedestal had been erected. The top had a velvet drape, but other than that it was empty.

Luthor stopped short of the pedestal and looked around, speaking in a musing tone as he did so. "My treasures." Then he looked at the box he held and stepped closer to the crystal pedestal. Almost reverently he opened the box he held and removed the globe. As the box was opened it started to glow. Luthor placed it, carefully in the center of the top of the pedestal and stepped away, staring at it in awe.

Nigel joined him, standing slightly behind and to one side as they both stared at the glowing object.

In hushed tones, Luthor said, "Magnificent. See how the light catches its depth, Nigel. Like a perfect jewel. I want it analyzed atom by atom."

"As you wish, sir," was Nigel's simple reply.

Luthor threw his hands out expansively as he said, "We stand on the verge of a historic moment."

Nigel's comment of, "I can feel the vibrations," elicited a reply from Luthor.

"Can you?" He started another survey of the vault as he said, "The accumulated plunderings of a lifetime: the Venus de Milo's missing arms, Gainsborough's ‘Yellow Boy', Beethoven's 'Tenth Symphony', Van Gogh's better self-portrait, the full figure 'Mona Lisa'. Unknown and unseen by the world at large, they exist solely for my pleasure. But, my private collection was incomplete. I was incomplete." Luthor slowly, deliberately removed his gloves. "No more. In many ways Superman remains a mystery. Despite all our conflicts, I still lack the knowledge, the wedge that will bend him to my will, or break him. Perhaps, finally, this globe will shed some light."

Following on the heels of this speech, Luthor approached the globe and with his now uncovered hands placed both hands on the globe. Apparently in response to his touch the globe changed its appearance and started to glow. Soon the beams of light were sent out and the hologram formed.

Across town, Lois and Clark were in the office studying a map of Metropolis. The map was marked off in a grid pattern. Using the list of LuthorCorp facilities that Jimmy had produced he was marking the locations so that he could plan his search when suddenly they ‘heard', "This is the second of the five times I will appear. You may wonder that I speak your language, and not my native Kryptonian: I don't. That is another property of the object, it converts the sound to telepathy and broadcasts it directly to the brain of those it is attuned to."

Lois gasped and said, "The globe."

And Now

Chapter 7

Back in Luthor's lair, Luthor and Nigel watched the hologram and feeling increasingly frustrated. Intuitively, Luthor knew that there had to be an audio track to go along with this video presentation, but he couldn't hear a thing. He tried to use his skills as a lip reader, but the words being formed were not in any of the multiple languages with which he was familiar.

He was determined to gather as much information as he could still, so he concentrated on taking in the scene.

On a gleaming white work table, a man and a woman performed delicate "surgery" on a helix-shaped object of thinly-twisted metal (or what appears to be metal) using instruments whose purpose and application Luthor couldn't even begin to guess at. With a sensor/probe, the man touched various points on the object's surface and was rewarded with a holographic depiction of the helix. Corresponding points of light began to blink on the hologram.

Lois and Clark heard a series of beeps and then Jor-El's voice came once more, "Unmanned Kryptonian probes have, explored every corner of the known galaxy and beyond. For thousands of centuries we have received data back from those probes. I have every confidence that, given enough time, we can achieve the conversion to a manned vessel. But, will we have the time?"

As Luthor watched the scene began to be unsteady, items in the field of view began to shake. Luthor decided that he was witnessing a violent planetquake. The man and the woman grabbed the table for support until the shaking ended. When-it finally subsided, both immediately turned to the capsule on the pedestal. The contents of the capsule were indiscernible due to the mist that suffused it. It was intact, and they breathed a sigh of relief, but the view screen above the nearby console blazed and flickered with light. The man helped the woman up; both approached the console. The man waved his hands above it. It responded with new patterns of light. Whatever the man read in the display clearly worried him.

Lois and Clark heard Jor-El's comments, "The pattern of core disintegration continues to accelerate. Even I cannot predict when it will end."

As Luthor watched, the couple in the hologram looked into the capsule, but the mist obscured the contents. Luthor wondered just what the contents were.

Lois and Clark heard, "There is an ancient Kryptonian saying: 'On a long road, take small steps.' Precision and care are our watchwords. Yet, we still have far to go."

As Luthor watched the display screen with the warning indicator became the center of the display.

Deciding that he wouldn't be gathering any additional information he released the globe. As he did, coincidentally, the glow faded.

Luthor said, "Interesting."

Nigel added, "To say the very least. It was like watching a silent film, but without the dialogue placards to let you know what was being said."

Thinking that he might either have a replay or the next installment, Luthor reached out and placed his hands on the globe again, but this time the globe didn't respond.

Nigel offered, "Resting? Recharging?"

Luthor replied, "Too bad. I can hardly wait for the next chapter. Were you able to hear anything?"

"No, sir."

"Neither was I. Could you read their lips?"

"I am not very skilled in that area."

"Well, I am and I wasn't able to understand a single word. I have a basic understanding of all of the world language groups and that was totally foreign."

When the message cut off, Lois and Clark both looked at each other as if coming out of a daze. Clark started to berate himself, "I shoulda tried to get a line on it."

"Don't be too hard on yourself, honey. It was a surprise and we were both listening. I wonder if whoever has it heard the story."

"I don't think so. Remember, Jor-El said that it was broadcasting to those minds that it was attuned to. That's just you and me."

The next morning at the Planet, Lois was in a grumpy mood and Clark looked just plain tired. Lois had grabbed a croissant in the coffee area along with a mug of newsroom coffee and Clark had a donut along with a mug of newsroom coffee. Lois was out of sorts because she hadn't had one of Clark's fabulous breakfasts, nor did she have her travel mug with his special brew. The reason for this explained Clark's tiredness. She had overslept and he had been out all night searching Luthor owned facilities for the globe and had returned only in time to leave for the Planet with Lois. He was almost bleary eyed as he perused the map that they had prepared the day before. Looking at it, it was apparent that he had been very busy because there were many blocks that were ‘x'd out.

Seeing which way the wind was blowing, to avoid Lois for fear of being on the receiving end of her wrath, Cat and Jimmy were huddled at Cat's desk, again perusing charts of their family trees. As time had progressed, more and more entries had been made and the sheets were almost completely covered at this point.

Suddenly, Jimmy exclaimed, "Wait a minute! Wait a minute! See here, your mother's half-sister, Elena by your grandfather's second marriage -- married, for her third marriage, a man named Stanley Nugent."

Cat sighed and said, "I never liked that man."

Jimmy almost chortled seeing the tape of the finish line in front of him as he said, "And Stanley was, in fact, my Great-Aunt Edna's son out of wedlock, by a man named David Wilson, Uncle Dave, who she later married, but not until after her marriage to Uncle Harvey."

With a stricken look, Cat said, "This is a nightmare."

Jimmy opened his arms in welcome and said, "Cuz!" He gave this a second to register before he asked, "Your place or mine?"

Fortunately for Cat they were interrupted by Perry as he approached Lois and Clark. He said to Lois, "Good piece. I loved the personal angle."

There was bitterness in his voice as Clark replied, "Yeah, at least our robbery came in handy for something."

Cat and Jimmy had been listening and Jimmy said, "I thought you got all your things back. No harm, no foul."

Lois chimed in, "No, not everything. There's one particular item. We were holding it … for someone else. It's still missing. We are still searching for it. We suspect that it might have been sold." In frustration and hoping that she hadn't said too much, Lois started ripping apart her croissant.

Perry looked from Lois to Clark as Clark started to gather up his map.

Clark said, "I have to go."

Lois nodded and said, "Yeah, you need to go. Be careful."

As Clark disappeared into the stairwell, Perry turned to Lois and asked, "You okay, Lois?"

Lois shrugged and said, "No."

Sensing that there could be a problem and deciding that discretion was the better part of valor, Cat and Jimmy gathered up their charts and adjourned to the conference room giving Lois and Perry at least a modicum of privacy.

After they left, Lois addressed Perry in a resigned tone, "Okay, lay it on me."

Perry was all innocence as he replied, "What? Oh, I suppose you expect me to pry into what's bothering you, then tell you a story relating what's going on in your life to some obscure event in the life of Elvis Presley. Well, I'm not going to do that."

Skeptically, Lois asked, "You're not?"

In a matter-of-fact way, Perry answered, "No. For one thing, any connection I made would probably be vague and not particularly useful. For another, if I did that it would seem like I cared more about telling my story than helping you with your problem. What's goin' on, Darlin? Is it related to what we discussed yesterday?"

"Yeah, Perry. This thing is a lot more difficult than we thought it would be. Clark was gone most of the night following up on leads. I missed him being in bed with me. I hope we can resolve this thing quickly so that we can get back to normal."

"You're sure that's what it is? There was that time that Priscilla left Elvis …"

"No, Perry, it's nothing like that. It's just the situation. It could actually present a danger, not to just us, but a lot of people. That's really weighing on him. I'm worried … about him … for him. This isn't a normal situation." She gave a snort and continued, "As if any of our situations are what you would call - normal, but this is really serious. We're both worried."

"As long as you are sure about this and trust him …"

"I trust him, Perry, like no one I've ever trusted before. I trust him with my life and my happiness."

"Good. I'd hate to have you not trust Kent. Trust shouldn't be abandoned without a fight. Especially between you two."

Lois thought about this for a second and then said, "You know, I think I like the Elvis stories better."

Perry smiled and said, "Next time, I got a million of ‘em."

Superman had been flying back and forth across the cityscape all morning. Suddenly, he headed down and landed, out of sight in an alley. He checked around with his super-vision and hearing to make sure he was isolated before he spun out of his uniform. He knew that he was taking a chance, but he had to try to get more information and that was why he had traced Jack.

He dropped all appearance of stealth as he walked down the alley, toward a particular building. Approaching the boarded up entrance he moved a board slightly and slipped inside.

Clark found a stairwell and ascended the steps, quietly, but not stealthily. At the top he found what appeared to be an empty room. His super-hearing told him that the room was in fact inhabited so he called out, "Jack?"

Hearing his approach, Jack and Denny had both ducked out of sight. Hearing his name being called, Jack stepped out of the shadows and when he did, Clark could see that he had a piece of pipe, gripped like a baseball bat.

Clark put up his hands and Jack, seeing that he wasn't making any threatening moves, lowered the pipe. Jack challenged, "What are you doing here? How'd you find me?"

Clark gave him an answer that he thought he would accept, "Louie. He knows guys who know guys." Seeing Jack relax his stance some, he pressed ahead, "I need an answer to a question." Suddenly, his super-hearing picked up another sound and peering into the gloom, Clark challenged, "Who's there?"

Denny stepped out of the gloom and stopped next to his brother. Denny was also armed. He had a section of a 2x4 in his hands.

Jack was surprised when he saw Clark start to smile. He didn't know that it was in response to the sight of Denny dressed up in Clark's Jacket.

Jack was beginning to feel that he could probably trust Clark, at least a little so he said to Denny, "It's all right." He didn't want Denny to become too involved, which he would if he heard too much. Jack looked down at Denny and said, "I want you to take a walk."

Denny expressed his reluctance, "Aw, Jack …"

Not willing to accept any rebellion and wishing to keep him safe, Jack said, "Do it. Just don't go too far."

Reluctantly, Denny obeyed his brother. He dropped the 2x4 and pulling the jacket close about his skinny frame he walked out, giving Clark a wide berth as he did, watching him warily.

Clark gave Denny a chance to exit the building before he addressed Jack. While he waited he took in the surroundings in detail. When he finally spoke, he said, "You can't expect to live here like this."

Jack's bravado hadn't deserted him and he replied, "We've got a plan. Soon as I get enough money together …"

Clark interrupted, "By stealing?"

Not wishing his lifestyle to be challenged, Jack challenged, "Ask your question and get out."

More concerned with what he had observed, Clark asked, "Who's the other boy?"

Jack challenged, "What's it to you?" When he saw that Clark wasn't going to back down and deciding that the information would probably be safe, he replied, "He's my brother."

Clark always cared about children, especially those that appeared to be abandoned, like these two looked to have been, "What about your parents? Your home?"

Clark could see the shake of Jack's head in response to his question and pressed on, "Isn't there someplace you can go? Someone?"

Jack could feel the sincerity in Clark's words and attitude. Intuitively, he knew that this was someone that actually cared so he started to open up. "We tried that. Lots of times. We're better off this way." Then his natural reticence took over and he returned to the subject, "What's your question?"

Clark sensed that he had pushed about as far as he could, at least for now, so he asked, "The man who bought the globe: What did he look like? Please. The truth this time. It's very important."

"There were two. The one I dealt with was tall. An English dude. Never saw him before or since."

Clark asked, "That's all? Nothing else?"

"Well, I did get a glimpse of the other. He was younger, but not much. Tall, but not as tall as the English dude. He had a hat on, but I did see his face. Clean shaven. Dark hair. I think I've seen him before, but I can't be sure."

Clark had been nodding in understanding as Jack had been giving his descriptions. The descriptions fit Nigel St. John and Lex Luthor.

Clark heard Denny coming up the stairs. As he entered the room, Clark looked back and forth between them and said, "I can help you, both of you, if you'll let me."

Jack replied with disdain, "You want to help? Leave us alone."

Clark could see the look of determination on the faces of both boys. With a nod of his head he decided to give them what they desired, at least for the time being. He turned away and made his way from the building.

After talking with Jack, Clark returned to the Planet. Lois thought that he had simply been searching. She said, "I think we need to talk to Jack again. He knows more than he said. After you ran out after him I found these," she laid out the pictures she had found. "They prove that he was lying."

"I know. I just had a talk with him. He described the men who bought the globe. A tall Englishman and another man … tall, younger with dark hair. Sound familiar?"

Lois had gasped at the word, Englishman and as he had continued, her ire had escalated. She spat out, "Nigel and Lex."

"That's my guess as well."

"I guess that confirms our worst fears then."

"I guess so."

comment sgo here

TBC

Last edited by KenJ; 02/24/15 12:56 PM.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj