Description: Lois has been waiting since she was nineteen to meet a certain, super-special someone. Sequel to Vision of Destiny and part 2 in the Destiny series. TOC

From Chapter 3

As she watched him stand, reach for his jacket on the back of the chair, and then head for the elevator, she experienced a profound sense of loss. She wouldn't get to feel his hands at the base of her spine. She wouldn't feel his breath whisper, warmly, past her ear.

"I don't suppose you own a tuxedo?" she called out, suddenly, not able to keep the words from spilling out.

He turned and looked at her, a slightly teasing smile on his face. "I could get one."

She grinned at him, immediately overwhelmed by excitement for the coming evening, and possible dancing. "Great!"

Chapter 4

Lois watched as Lex Luthor descended his stairs. She needed to capture his attention. Somehow she was going to get this interview with the world's third richest man. But all she could think about was the tingle down her spine that told her someone was watching her as she watched Lex. That 'someone' was Clark. They'd arrived separately, but she'd been watching the door from the moment she arrived. When she saw him step inside, in his perfectly shaped tuxedo, she'd nearly melted to the floor in a puddle of goo.

Immediately she'd turned away. Knowing Clark was here was a relief, and now she was free to pursue her main goal for the evening.

"Lex Luthor," she shouted. "Why haven't you returned my calls?"

The slim, impeccably dressed man turned and looked at her with surprise.

"Lois Lane. Daily Planet." She held out her hand and he took it.

"Well, I can assure you, I'll never make that mistake again." His smile, although suave and handsome, did nothing for her. Another smile came to mind and she couldn't help that she returned it. Lex obviously thought her pleasure was directed at him and he drew closer, bringing his arm around her waist.

It was not the arm she wanted around her, but it was a means to an end. She would get this interview.

"I hope you'll forgive me for being so bold-" she began.

"Boldness is a trait I find very attractive in a woman, Miss Lane," he butted in, just as a flash of lightening and a thunder clap resounded around the room. Lois felt a little joy at his flattery. Even though she was not attracted to Lex, and her heart belonged to someone else for all eternity, it was nice to be admired. Although, Lex clearly found the boldness trait to be something a powerful man should have, too, as he'd whisked her into his arms and onto the dance floor without actually asking. He'd just presumed, and then taken.

"Thank you. Anyway, I was wondering, Mr Luthor-"

"Lex." He twirled her around as another flash of lightening and clap of thunder betrayed the terrible weather outside.

"Lex," she repeated. "I know that you're hesitant to give interviews-"

"Well you can understand a man in my position. I wouldn't want to be misinterpreted. And I have had one or two bad experiences with the media."

Lois felt a little uncomfortable. So far Lex had interrupted every single sentence she started. It was quite rude, but somehow he managed to make it seem quite the opposite. "But not with me." She tried to look as open and trustworthy as possible.

"So, why don't we make it … dinner." He whispered into her ear, getting just a little too close to her neck for comfort. Her heart skipped a beat. The third richest man in the world was asking her on a date. She was under no misconception what Lex was after. But he wouldn't get it. Instead, she would get him instead. An in-depth, no-holds-barred interview. And she was beginning to suspect there might be more to Lex than she'd ever considered. His attitude toward her in just the last few minutes, while being flattering, had also disturbed her.

"Mind if I cut in?"

"Clark!" she smiled in relief. "Lex, this is Clark Kent. Clark works at the Planet." Her smile was all for Clark although she glanced back and forth between the two men.

"A pleasure." He barely acknowledged Clark before turning back to Lois. "Later then."

Clark slid his arms around her and she sighed in contentment. She let her arms drift up to his shoulders and she allowed her gaze to meet his. She immediately recognised the look on his face. Awe and devotion. Already! Possibly she was not as good at interpreting his face as she thought. Maybe this was another thing she'd embellished over the years because there was no way he felt like that already. For one thing, he'd agreed to a date with Cat!

Remembering that made her stomach churn. Her anger towards Cat reminded her to act superior to Clark.

"I would have thought square dancing was more your style."

"Actually I learned from a Nigerian princess who studied ballroom dancing in England."

"Really? How fascinating." Her jealousy doubled with that knowledge and she pushed away from him and strode off. Her tears fell freely as she raced to find some place to be alone.

"Wait, where are you going?" he called out after her but she continued to push through the crowds. Spying a closed door she aimed for it, hoping it indicated an off limits room and also hoping that it was open.

It was both, but unfortunately, the man she was trying to distance herself from followed her in.

"Lois, what are you doing in here?" he challenged her, grabbing her arm, gently, and turning her. She knew that he immediately saw her tears as his disapproving tone vanished. "Lois," he whispered. "What's wrong? Did I do something?" He looked terrified that he might be the cause of her tears. She definitely remembered this look. He was always blaming himself for whatever might upset her.

"You. Why ever would you think you could upset me? We've know each other for a day, Kent. And you certainly haven't impressed me in that time. You mean nothing to me." Clearly her jealousy was still in control.

He let go of her arm and stepped backwards. He looked devastated. But Lois couldn't trust her interpretations of his face any longer. She'd been convinced she saw love in his eyes earlier, and there was no way that could be correct.

"Then-" Clark paused, shifted on his feet and put his hands in his pocket. "Then what is it, Lois? And can I help?"

Lois had to turn away. Clark had suppressed his own hurt and immediately made her well-being his priority. This was the man she had fallen in love with. Her jealousy faded. The anger dissipated. All that was left was hurt and disappointment. While she knew that they would have the most perfect marriage in the future, she'd forgotten in the last seven years, that he wasn't hers yet. There would be other women. First Cat, and now a Nigerian Princess. How many more would there be before he turned to her?

"You can't, Clark. In fact, there's nothing to help." She turned back around, smiling. She knew the tracks of her tears would still be on her cheeks but she hoped she could explain them satisfactorily. "I'm just overwhelmed by finally meeting Lex Luthor. He's agreed to an interview with me. I've been after this for so long that I'm completely shocked and overwhelmed."

Clark looked at her and nodded slowly. She got the feeling he didn't believe her, probably due to her using the same, unimaginative, word twice within two sentences. Not very good for someone who was supposed to make her living from putting words together, in the best possible order, to make interesting articles.

He drew a hand out of his pocket and a handkerchief came with it. "Here you go, Lois." He held it out tentatively and she reached forward to grab it just as the door opened and their host walked in.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Striding swiftly down the sidewalk Lois replayed the embarrassment of last night's discovery in her mind. It gave her adrenaline to keep pushing through all the pedestrians blocking her way. Having Lex Luthor walk in, as Clark was handing her a handkerchief, was mortifying. Not to mention that they had been in an off-limits room.

Thankfully Clark had been especially adept at putting their host at ease. But, in contrast, Lois hadn't liked Lex's treatment of Clark. Lois had already figured out that Lex's reason for allowing an interview was more man/woman than reporter/subject. Entering the room at the moment he did quite possibly gave him the wrong idea about her relationship with Clark. The green-eyed, jealousy monster seemed to be having a prolific evening.

"Morning," came the sexy voice from just behind her. Her traitorous heart skipped a beat immediately. She closed her eyes and was immediately back in a dream from the previous night.

A voice whispered 'morning' into her ear as she cooked the eggs. She turned around to see him dressed in tight blue and red. Smiling and sighing at the same moment she let her eyes roam over his body, the shape of which was barely concealed by his costume.

"Morning," she replied in almost a whisper as she opened her eyes. She was seriously out of breath, possibly a combination of the brisk walk and the sudden proximity of Superman. Stopping to catch that breath she turned to properly greet Clark. He looked so perfect, so handsome in his soft blue denim shirt and brown jacket. She couldn't help but smile at him. He looked at her in confusion, for a second, then his smile returned. It looked as if he was about to speak when an explosion rocked the ground.

Lois turned and rushed in the direction of the dust cloud.

"Hey. There's a man down there. Call the fire department. We need help." The shout came from someone crouched on the floor.

Lois turned to look at Clark. His face was a picture of horror. Lois didn't know what to say to Clark. She felt her mouth move but nothing came out. There was no Superman. Not yet. Maybe not ever. Was this another fantasy she had added on to 'Clark Kent'. What if Clark Kent really was just a sweet Kansas farm boy and nothing more?

"Back off, back off. People … back. Get back. There's a man down here. Back off, okay." The call came even more urgently from the soot-blackened worker and Lois swivelled back.

A small breeze behind her caused her to hold her breath. Was that what she thought? She looked back but Clark was nowhere to be seen.

"Get these people back."

A commotion in the smoke drew her attention and she saw a man seemingly climb out of the manhole. He began coughing and was then dragged clear of the hole by someone else. Lois felt her heart speed up in anticipation and hope. Was this proof that Superman wasn't her own fantasy? Was this actually even Superman's debut?

A brush at her elbow had her turning in surprise. Clark was back.

"That man. That man saved me. That man … pulled me out." Lois eyes widened when the rescued worked pointed to Clark.

"He's delirious," Clark claimed.

"Obviously." Lois injected as much disgust into her voice as possible. She didn't want the people standing around getting any ideas. Noticing Clark's attire she had an epiphany. "You're a mess. From now on do what I do. Bring a change of clothes to work."

As she strode off, Clark following and trying to brush away the dirt, she brought her hand up to her mouth. Had she just given Clark the idea for Superman? What if he wasn't supposed to have the idea yet. Surely OL wouldn't have suggested such a thing.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Comments

KatherineKent/Victoria
Lois: "You put up with me for the same reason I put up with you. It's because I'm completely in love with you."
Clark: "And I love you ... Did we just make up?"
Lois: "I think so."