Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#261115 02/04/15 06:23 PM
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Look for the second part of this story next week and I hope you enjoyed this first part.

"Who's asking? Clark... or Superman?"
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Very bold. From the title and summary I knew this would not be an easy story to read, but I'm doing it.

Though she had come to terms with her son’s disability there were occasions where Lois became wistful when she saw other children doing things her son couldn’t, but one look at Oliver’s smile was all it took to wash those feelings away.

UltraWoman is now SuperMom.

Lois and Clark didn’t tell their son he couldn’t do something just because he didn’t have use of his legs. They taught him that he could do almost anything that he wanted to, even if he had to do it in a different way. Clark grew up feeling different from everyone else and knew how hard it could be. He wanted his son feel like he belonged, even if he was a little different.

He can do anything he wants. Good attitude!

While Lois was busy trying to untie the stubborn knot Oliver lost his grasp on his balloon. As the helium-filled balloon floated toward the clouds Oliver tried to retrieve it. The end of the string was always just out of his reach, but Oliver never quit trying to recapture his red balloon.

Suddenly Oliver realized something was wrong. He could no longer see his mother and the ground was much further away than it should be. Realizing that he was in mid-air Oliver panicked and started to fall.

A scream drew Lois’ focus away from the knot she was working on and she snapped her head up to Oliver’s wheelchair. When she saw the empty chair her heart stopped. Her son had vanished. Another scream caused Lois to look up and that’s when she saw Oliver desperately clinging to a tree branch nearly eighty foot off the ground.

The next installment of this sweet little family story will be very good to read. Thanks so much for posting! hyper

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
Top Banana
Top Banana
At first glance, this looks like a sweet story about a semi-normal family (normal except dad is Superman), with a son with a few extra challenges. By the end of the chapter, though -- it looks like Oliver isn't quite as confined to the wheelchair as he was before, and the cat is out of the bag about who his father is.

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Delightful start. Looking forward to more.

Framework4
Kerth
Kerth
Interesting story idea. I appreciated the clear love that Lois and Clark have for Oliver that comes through. I look forward to reading the next part. thumbsup

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Oh, I love the name Oliver. It was a finalist for my son. What a sweet child and family. I'm glad you've shown them after the discovery and at a point where they are comfortable with themselves. Wow, showing his powers by age 6?! I hope nobody else saw him float into the air. If so, the Kents will have to circulate a story about another invisible man, this time a flying one. Can't wait to see where you take this.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
C
Top Banana
Top Banana
C
As I was reading the scene at the playground my mind was briefly wandering and wondering if it was an "all accessible" playground. We have one of those in our town. There's ramps up to both the toddler-friendly and 5-12 playsets and paths wide enough for a wheelchair. I even remember seeing one kid who had this "strider" type thing so they could move themselves around the set without their parent's/adult's help. It also has these swings that look like BIG chairs made especially for those who can't swing themselves. Here's some images people have taken of the park. My youngest son gets a lot of out of the sound-features they have at the park, located right at eye-level for a child in a wheelchair and a toddler.

I wondered whether the "special" part of him was going to be something super, or simply his disability.

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Originally Posted by Morgana
Very bold. From the title and summary I knew this would not be an easy story to read, but I'm doing it.
Well I hope you enjoy the story.

Lois and Clark didn’t tell their son he couldn’t do something just because he didn’t have use of his legs. They taught him that he could do almost anything that he wanted to, even if he had to do it in a different way. Clark grew up feeling different from everyone else and knew how hard it could be. He wanted his son feel like he belonged, even if he was a little different.
He can do anything he wants. Good attitude!
Yeah, Oliver has grown up believing he could do whatever he wanted to do.

The next installment of this sweet little family story will be very good to read. Thanks so much for posting! hyper
You're welcome. I hope you like the second part. smile

Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Originally Posted by Annie B.
At first glance, this looks like a sweet story about a semi-normal family (normal except dad is Superman), with a son with a few extra challenges. By the end of the chapter, though -- it looks like Oliver isn't quite as confined to the wheelchair as he was before, and the cat is out of the bag about who his father is.
Yeah, I don't think the secret about Oliver's father being Superman is going to be secret for much longer.

Thanks for the comments and I hope you like the next part of this story.

Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Originally Posted by Framework4
Delightful start. Looking forward to more.
Thank you. I hope you enjoy the next part. smile

Originally Posted by groobie
Interesting story idea. I appreciated the clear love that Lois and Clark have for Oliver that comes through. I look forward to reading the next part. thumbsup
I'm glad you think this is an interesting idea for a story and yes, Oliver is definitely loved by his Mommy & Daddy.

Thanks for the comments and I hope you like where the story goes from here. smile

Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Originally Posted by VirginiaR
Oh, I love the name Oliver. It was a finalist for my son. What a sweet child and family. I'm glad you've shown them after the discovery and at a point where they are comfortable with themselves. Wow, showing his powers by age 6?! I hope nobody else saw him float into the air. If so, the Kents will have to circulate a story about another invisible man, this time a flying one. Can't wait to see where you take this.
I'm glad you like the name I chose for their son. It was inspired by Smallville's Oliver Queen.

Yeah, I decided that rather than showing Lois and Clark worrying if their son would survive and trying to deal with his disability to begin the story after they had come to terms with everything.

Yep, Oliver seems to be floating and discovering powers at only six years of age.

Thanks for the comments and I hope you like the rest of this story.

Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Originally Posted by Christina
I wondered whether the "special" part of him was going to be something super, or simply his disability.
Maybe it's both. Thanks for the comments and I hope you enjoy the story. smile

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
It was inspired by Smallville's Oliver Queen.
Yeah, I kept remembering him while I was reading. wink

Interesting idea for a story. I think it will be harder keeping Oliver on a wheelchair now that he knows he can fly. Looking forward to the next parts.

Andreia

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

~ Superman: Man of Tomorrow #15
LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Great story, Lady Loisette hyper clap

Love the attitude that Clark and Lois are raising Oliver with--he can do anything! And I really enjoyed the heartwarming feel to the story you've conveyed between the three of them.

And now he's 80 feet up, clinging to a tree branch--what an interesting cut-off. Can't wait to read more, see where we go from here!

Great start notworthy
Laura

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Originally Posted by Ultra Woman
It was inspired by Smallville's Oliver Queen.
Yeah, I kept remembering him while I was reading. wink

Interesting idea for a story. I think it will be harder keeping Oliver on a wheelchair now that he knows he can fly. Looking forward to the next parts.

Andreia
Oliver ended up being one of my favorite characters from the show, so he made for good name inspiration.

Thanks. I'm glad people are liking the story idea. Right now Oliver doesn't know what happened. All he knows is that one minute he was trying to get his balloon back and the next he was very high up in the air.

Thanks for the comments and I hope you continue to enjoy the story.

Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Originally Posted by LMA
Great story, Lady Loisette hyper clap

Love the attitude that Clark and Lois are raising Oliver with--he can do anything! And I really enjoyed the heartwarming feel to the story you've conveyed between the three of them.

And now he's 80 feet up, clinging to a tree branch--what an interesting cut-off. Can't wait to read more, see where we go from here!

Great start notworthy
Laura
Thanks. I'm glad you liked this first part.

Lois and Clark didn't want to raise their son to think that he couldn't do the things other kids did just because of his wheelchair. I'm glad the heartwarming aspect is coming through in the story.

Yeah, it's sort of a literal cliffhanger, except he's clinging to a tree branch instead of a cliff.

I hope you like the next part.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
So post already! smile1

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Originally Posted by Morgana
So post already! smile1
Part 2 should be out on Wednesday. So just a few more days to go.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard