Band of Blue TOC

Chapter 17

Clark brought Lois coffee and a maple donut on Monday morning. He smiled down at her when she looked up from her desk.

“Morning Lois.”

“Thanks Smallville,” she replied with a hint of a question in the thanks.

Clark sat down and watched her take a bite of the donut.

“So, I was thinking of looking into the DA’s relationship with Lex Luthor. I thought it might bring out more scandal.” He looked at Lois to see her reaction. “What’s your angle on the story?” he queried.

Lois looked up at him, mid donut bite. She removed the sugary confection and chewed.

“Sounds good,” she admitted after swallowing. “But that’s quite a big project for a rookie on his own. I’ll take lead ... you can be research.”

Clark smiled. “Sounds like a good team-up to me.” Good start, Clark.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Tuesday morning Clark brought Lois a coffee and a cinnamon donut.

“Thanks Smallville,” she said raising the donut to her mouth immediately, no implied question this time.

“I spent last night cataloguing the Luthor/Sacks business dealings. Here you go.” Clark tossed a brown manila folder across the desk to Lois. She opened it up and flicked through the papers.

“Hmm. Metron Pharmaceuticals looks a good place to start. Why would the DA be interested in a company making medicine?” Lois looked up at Clark.

“My thoughts exactly, Lois. Guess we think alike.” He smiled at her.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Wednesday morning Clark brought Lois a coffee and a donut with chocolate sprinkles on.

“Thanks Smallville.” She smiled up at him.

“I got us an appointment with the director of Metron Pharmaceuticals but it’s late this afternoon.” Clark looked across at Lois.

“Great work, Clark.”

He took a steadying breath before saying the next line. “I thought, as it might be late when we finish, I could buy you dinner afterwards.”

“Sure,” Lois answered. She seemed distracted by something. Had she realised what she’d agreed to?

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Thursday morning Clark brought a coffee and a jelly donut.

“Thanks Smallville,” came Lois’s standard reply.

“Those ribs last night were great, eh Lois?” Clark commented once seated.

She looked up at him. “Yes. I’m glad we stopped at BBQ Jack’s. It was great to get the interview notes sorted immediately. It was a real productive time while we ate ... and you’re right; those ribs were great.”

Clark smiled at Lois. It was not what he had in mind when asking her out for dinner but it had worked out great. Lois had felt at ease, more than if they had gone to a restaurant, and Clark knew the time had deepened the friendship too. Anyway, he had plenty more opportunities to romance her at a swanky restaurant in the future when she was more comfortable in the relationship.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Friday morning Lois looked up as Clark sat down opposite her. She frowned and looked around her desk. No coffee. She searched Clark’s desk. No coffee. Huh!

Lois felt a scathing but witty comment forming on her lips. She pulled herself up short in time.

Just because he’s brought coffee and a donut for the last four days ... don’t presume.

Clark watched the confusion travel across Lois’s face as she realised he hadn’t delivered the goodies this morning. He smiled. He’d got her relying on him but now he’d also taught her not to take him for granted.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Lois snapped at Clark all day. She was annoyed with him for forgetting her this morning. More so, she was annoyed with herself for caring. She’d taken Clark for granted and he’d pulled the rug out from under her. She’d started to rely on the comforting routine that had been established this week. She’d found herself looking forward to Clark arriving in the morning ... just for the donut, that’s all she was looking forward to.

Turning in her chair she positioned herself to study Clark. He was currently at the photocopier. She felt a small smile cross her lips as she admired his behind. It was truly a behind to behold.

“Oh shoot,” she heard him mutter as his copy fell behind. Leaning over to pick it up from the floor Lois’s smile widened as she continued to enjoy the view. As Clark reached the stray piece of paper his tidy, slicked back hair fell forwards and when he stood back up Lois frowned. Why did that look familiar? Clark looked quite different with his hair mussed up. Why does he wear those glasses and why does he slick his hair back so business like?

Lois was so caught up in her thoughts that she jumped when the phone rang.

“Lois Lane.” She swivelled her chair back to face her desk and picked her pen up ready to take any necessary notes.

“Lo.” She heard her sister’s voice. It sounded strained and then she heard sobbing.

“Luce, what’s up?” she asked, worriedly.

“It’s daddy.” There was a pause and Lois listened harder. “He’s had a heart attack.”

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

More on Friday. Comments over here.

KatherineKent/Victoria
Lois: "You put up with me for the same reason I put up with you. It's because I'm completely in love with you."
Clark: "And I love you ... Did we just make up?"
Lois: "I think so."