Hi FoLCs!

This is Kerth Quiz #6 - Best Revelation

Instructions are blatantly copied/linked from last year’s Kerth Quizzes (or even further back than that).

SPIFFY DISCLAIMER THINGY! All the stories featured in this quiz qualify for the Best Revelation Category, but this quiz is not a stamp of recommendation for nomination. There are other stories which qualify for this category, but this quiz only covers 10 randomly chosen ones.

Recommendations for other eligible stories are *very* welcome and encouraged!

QUIZ RULES: Two points for getting the story and author from the quote; one point for getting it from the excerpt. Specify which is which, or you'll automatically get one point instead of two. (Also, don't forget to mention which number you're answering.) Open hard drive and archive, *don't* forget to snip the excerpts in your replies, and don't forget the spoiler space when you post in the replies thread. Plus, shiny gold stars for those who recognize their own stories (which, sadly, is harder than it looks, but mostly in the Epic and Long Story Categories though).

The DEADLINE for entries for this quiz is Tuesday, February 3, 2015, by 11:59 p.m (Pacific Time Zone).

More elaborate quiz instructions can be found here .

Please post your answers HERE .

Good luck!
Susan

B

E

S

T

S

H

O

R

T

S

T

O

R

I

E

S

QUOTE #1:
“Look at that! You’re unrecognizable!”

QUOTE #2:
“What did the EPA guys tell you about the work they’re doing on your property?”

QUOTE #3:
“You dirty lowlife rotten stinking RAT!”

QUOTE #4:
Blue pen.

QUOTE #5:
“If you’d told me before…I could have helped you improve your game more,” she teased.

QUOTE #6:
“And I believe you,” he said, “because just like you can see behind my mask, I can see behind yours — and you’re not the beast, Lois. You’re the hero.”

QUOTE #7:
I should wake him up. It’s time. It really is.

QUOTE #8:
“Thank you for saving Lucy. I don’t know what would have happened if you hadn’t stopped Corben.”

QUOTE #9:
Either she was having a psychotic break, or somehow she’d travelled back in time.

QUOTE #10:
"Not when you consider that it's bigger than Metropolis and travelling at over 120,000 miles an hour."

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

P

A

C

E

EXCERPT #1:

What just happened? he thought to himself. He slumped his shoulders in defeat as he waited for her return. He furtively glanced around the office, scanning the room for cameras. Fortunately for him, there only appeared to be one, and it was facing the entrance. He breathed a heavy sigh of relief. Now his only worry was that the older lady recognized him. Most likely she wouldn’t.

EXCERPT #2:

A little later, at the dance, Lois and Clark were standing on the fringes watching as a country line dance formed up. As the band started playing, Lois spotted Rachel approaching. Rachel had gotten rid of her uniform and was now dressed in a western style outfit with a short skirt which was designed to show off her form and emphasize her legs and it did a good job of it. Seeing her attire, Lois knew instinctively that she was on the prowl and that her prey was Clark so Lois decided to act preemptively. Grabbing Clark’s hand she started dragging him onto the dance floor, as she said, “Come on, Clark, let’s give it a whirl.”

EXCERPT #3:

Superman repeated, “Jimmy, can I borrow your binoculars? I need a little more detail to see whether I have a satellite to chase down or not.”

“What? Oh, sure. Here.” Superman stepped to the window, looked through the binoculars and the deed was done. “Thanks,” was all he said as he handed the binoculars back. Then Clark flew out the window in his Superman suit.

EXCERPT #4:

Another few pages on and Lois’ heart skipped a beat. There was no denying what was running through her head, what she was dreaming of at night, when she saw those same two set of initials … surrounded by a heart. She let her finger trail around the heart and felt the smile on her lips at the same time as the ache hit her chest. She’d no longer been denying her feelings by this point. She’d even begun to revel in them — to allow herself to indulge in them.

Flipping over one more page, she saw the final evidence, the most recent truth. This is what she dreamed of at night, what she longed for every day, what she hoped for, yet feared at the same time.

Lois Kent.

EXCERPT #5:

Superman took his next shot and knocked down four pins. Lois watched as Bruce Wayne’s shoulders shook in a laugh she couldn’t hear. As Superman sat down next to the other man, he took a fry from the basket the billionaire held toward him. Lois blinked as she watched the exchange.

Superman took the fry with his left hand and ate it.

EXCERPT #6:

All he cared about, all he could think about, was Lois. He didn’t care, anymore, about fountains or windows or benches, didn’t care about identities or crushes or lies. He just wanted to see her, wanted to touch her, wanted… well, it didn’t matter, did it? She hadn’t even come. He was lying on the ground, maybe dying, while Luthor’s true colors were exposed before all, and she hadn’t come.

EXCERPT #7:

No-one keeps me safe like he does. My life is so full of danger, and he’s always there to pull me out of it, keep me safe. But he is also so very dangerous. Dangerous to me, to my life, my heart.

Love and hate.

My tears spill over once more and I finally find the willpower to look away from the floating specimen of perfection.

EXCERPT #8:

“I am Superman,” I repeat, my voice somewhat firmer than before. I open my eyes and look into her blank face. She seems frozen with shock, disbelief, anger or maybe all of that. “That’s why I passed out. Corben was powered with kryptonite. I had practically none of my powers when you rescued me. Melting the metal took what little energy I had left.”

EXCERPT #9:

She showed him her calculator, and flashlight aps, and then she flipped through her ITunes, looking for the oldest music in her collection. She didn’t dare let him hear the death metal songs Lucy had downloaded, or she’d never see him again.

Ah. Sergei Rachmaninoff…his Rhapsody. It was slow, beautiful music, unlikely to frighten him away.

As the sounds of an entire concert flooded the area, she carefully turned the sound down. There was no point in making anyone curious.

“Is there anyone anywhere in the world who has anything like this?”

He shook his head mutely.

“It’s from the future,’ Lois said. “The same place I am.”

EXCERPT #10:

And then it struck her -- Metropolis was huge, stretching on for as far as her eye could see. In just a few short hours her best friend would be flying through space to stop something bigger than the vista before her. That something was traveling at over 120,000 miles an hour. There was no possible way that Clark would survive it. He knew that, but he was willing to do it anyway.

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink