Next Thread
Print Thread
#261002 01/30/15 06:07 PM
T
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
T
Things may or may not be progressing. I'm sure y'all will let me know which it is.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Top Banana
Top Banana
She was royalty in her home nation. She wasn't nervous at all. She wouldn't allow herself to be nervous.

The door opened to reveal the two terrifying teenagers and she got nervous all over again.

This made me laugh. Teenagers can indeed be terrifying, especially when you meet them on their turf.

“Okay. Will you sit next to me? I’ll tell you what’s good and what’s icky.”

“Icky? Your father is an excellent chef, Ellie. What might he prepare that would be icky?”

Ellie leaned in and whispered, “Daddy’s cooking veggies tonight!”

I laughed at this one, too. Little kids can be very direct.

She dropped her spoon to the table in surprise and Marta nearly burst into tears. “I knew you wouldn't like it! I knew it!”

Marta's more eager to please than she realizes.

Her father padded over softly and tried to take the girl from Diana’s lap, but Ellie moaned, “No! Mommy D put me to bed.”

Ellie's gotten attached fast. Of course, she never knew Lois.

But somewhere – maybe during dessert or maybe as Diana had read to her – little four-year-old Ellie had wrecked those plans with a few simple words and a request for Diana to put the child to bed. Now Diana could not only contemplate being a mother, she suddenly wanted to be this little one’s mother. And if that meant dealing with an occasionally bratty teenaged girl and an older brother who was all but grown himself, then she’d take on that responsibility most willingly.

Assuming, of course, that Clark would also think it was a good idea.

Hmm ... if anyone could handle this family, besides Lois, it would be Wonder Woman.

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Top Banana
Top Banana
Stating this up front, I really don't have a problem with Clark moving on to another woman once Lois has passed either like she did in this story or like she did in the Home series and couple other stories (of old age). In a number of stories Lois has indicated that she wanted him to move on once she was gone. I think in Pam's "The Last Goodbye" she stated that he was made for domesticity, that he thrives on it. In most stories this is the case and in this story additionally he has 3 children to take care of...

Yet two teenagers and one preschooler kept her trembling hand by her side.

Oh, this starts off well...

“Are you going to be my new mommy?”

The question jarred Diana. She spent a long moment gathering her thoughts as she went down on one knee beside her new interrogator. “I do not know the answer to your question, Ellie. I have not been asked.”

“Okay. What would you say if Daddy asked you?”

Diana tilted her head to one side. “You are most inquisitive. Perhaps you and I should get to know each other better before we discuss such an eventuality. After all, the arrangement which you suggest would involve you and your older siblings. ”

Rather than look puzzled at Diana’s vocabulary, Ellie nodded. “Good idea. You wanna eat dinner with us?”

“Well, I was invited to share your dinner. By your father, that is.”

“Okay. Will you sit next to me? I’ll tell you what’s good and what’s icky.”

“Icky? Your father is an excellent chef, Ellie. What might he prepare that would be icky?”

Ellie leaned in and whispered, “Daddy’s cooking veggies tonight!”

Diana, saved by Ellie?? One of the things about 4 year old kids, they don't beat around the bush. I suspect Virginia will be somewhat happy with this chapter as it finally features Ellie and no doubt about it, she is a star.

Before any of the females at the table could say anything else, Clark burst out laughing. Jon joined him almost immediately. Ellie stared at her father and brother, but Diana whispered to her, “Let them laugh. It will mean more shortcake for us. Come, let us enjoy this wonder.”

Diana has an ally in the Kent household for sure.

Diana glanced at Clark, who nodded. “Very well. Since your father has given his permission, I will read to you. Where shall I sit?”

Ellie leaned back and pointed to a bentwood rocking chair in the corner of the room. Diana didn’t miss the suppressed gasp of surprise from the other three, so she turned her head and asked, “Is this permitted?”

Jon and Marta looked at their father.

Clark looked at his son and older daughter.

As one, the three of them smiled slightly and nodded.

Ah, Lois' chair from Part 9.

The two of them nestled into the chair until both were comfortable, then Diana lifted to book. “What? Ellie, you want me to read ‘Introduction to Quantum Theory of Subatomic Particles’ to you?”

“Yes.”

“Whatever for?”

“Cause I wanna learn about it. I’m gonna be a nuclear physicist—” she pronounced the words slowly and carefully but correctly “—when I grow up.”

“I see. Very well, I shall read it to you. Where shall we begin?”

“At the beginning, of course. Chapter one. I already read the other stuff like the four words and the dead vacation and the before face.”

“What does – oh, you mean the dedication and the preface, do you not?”

“Yeah, that’s them. Now I wanna learn about the physics part.”
“Good. Then let us begin. Hmm. Here we are. Chapter one. ‘The study of quantum physics is the study of very tiny particles, all of them too small to be seen without the aid of very powerful microscopes, and the manner in which they interact with each other and with the macro world. These particles are smaller than molecules, smaller than atoms, and in some cases, smaller than the electrons which orbit the nucleus of the atom.’ Does that make sense to you, Ellie?”

The girl nodded. “Pretty much. I already learned some stuff about atoms.”

“Then we shall continue. ‘These particles are so small that even shining a light on them changes the qualities of the particles, because the individual photons which make up a beam of light are often the same size as the particles, if not larger.’ My, that is very small.”

Ellie pointed at the book. “Keep reading, please.”

Diana smiled and continued.

I loved, loved this part.

“’—and so we can determine either the speed in which these particles are moving or their current location, but not both.’” Diana stopped and shook her head. “I never knew how interesting quantum theory was before tonight.”

The girl on her shoulder didn’t respond. “Ellie?” whispered Diana. “Are you still awake?”

The only response Ellie gave was to take a deeper breath and reach up to gently hold Diana’s neck. “Clark?” she whispered. “I believe our little physicist is ready for bed.”

Her father padded over softly and tried to take the girl from Diana’s lap, but Ellie moaned, “No! Mommy D put me to bed.”

Both Diana and Clark froze for a moment and looked at each other. Clark spoke first. “You don’t have to,” he whispered.

Diana knew her eyes were damp as she smiled. “But I wish to. May I?”

The trap has been sprung!

Diana arranged the bedclothes so the girl’s chest was covered but her arms were free. “Thank you. You are a wonderful young lady. You make it very easy for me to like you.”

“G’night, Mommy D.”

The endearment shook Diana to the core. She leaned over and kissed the girl softly on the cheek and whispered, “Good night, beautiful one. Sleep well.”

She stood and stepped to the foot of the bed and watched Ellie drift off again.

The girl had called her “Mommy D.” Twice. The endearment went straight to her heart and penetrated all her carefully constructed defenses.

Diana had, years ago, given up any vague plans she might have had for a family of her own. There were too many responsibilities, too many demands on her time, and too few available men whom she respected enough to even consider marriage. She’d decided that she would live and rule, if called upon, as a single woman, and pass the throne along to her most qualified niece.

But somewhere – maybe during dessert or maybe as Diana had read to her – little four-year-old Ellie had wrecked those plans with a few simple words and a request for Diana to put the child to bed. Now Diana could not only contemplate being a mother, she suddenly wanted to be this little one’s mother. And if that meant dealing with an occasionally bratty teenaged girl and an older brother who was all but grown himself, then she’d take on that responsibility most willingly.

How can you not be moved by that...

The last thing Diana wanted to do was to disrupt this wonderful family. Clark and Lois had gotten these young ones off to an excellent start, Clark had done so much to aid in their continued growth and maturity, and it would be an utter travesty for another woman to barge in and wreck what they had built together.

So she wiped her eyes dry, sniffed back a small sob, and gently closed the bedroom door as she left the room. She’d wait and see what might happen in the future.

She already knew what she hoped might happen.

It is also pretty obvious what Clark wants to happen. This has been a setup/test from the beginning. Diana might be Wonder Woman but Ellie is Wonder Little Girl.

It will be interesting to see the next chapter as I would expect to see us move to the dynamic between Diana and Clark. How Terry plays that will have a big impact on how this story ends.

From me at least well done.

Mike

Last edited by Mike M; 01/30/15 10:47 PM. Reason: added a comma...

Create all the happiness you are able to create.
Remove all the misery you are able to remove.

Jeremy Bentham

T
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
T
Real life can be a naughty lady. She has been for me.

No more leaving anyone hanging. I will post both the final chapter and the epilogue tonight. My apologies for stringing anyone along. I assure you that it was not intentional.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard