-->> Four years and three months after Lois’ funeral

Standing alone at the Kent front door early on a Friday evening in early summer, Diana Prince was all but terrified.

She told herself it was ridiculous. She’d faced evil in many forms, fought against invaders coming against her homeland and from space to attack the Earth, not to mention the homegrown evil that man’s world – and even Paradise Island – faced altogether too often. She’d captured thieves and burglars and murderers and blackmailers, helped bring down tyrannical governments, helped save countless lives from both natural and unnatural disasters, and had even traveled through space to other worlds to defend her home. She had worked with and fought alongside Superman and Batman for truth and justice on several occasions, had shared meals with the two men, and had appeared at several ‘news conferences’ with them, events whose which true purpose still puzzled her.

Yet two teenagers and one preschooler kept her trembling hand by her side.

She’d agreed to come to dinner. She’d welcomed the invitation at the time, knowing that Clark might not have any more intention of a more-than-friend relationship now than at any other time in the past. Besides the time they’d met accidentally as she sketched Lois’ headstone, she’d met him at Lois’ grave twice, once with Clark alone when he’d been particularly despondent. There had also been one slightly uncomfortable evening when she, Superman, Batman, and Selina in her Catwoman persona had joined forces to relieve what Batman had informed them was a hostage situation in a Gotham criminal’s hideout, but which turned out to be a birthday dinner for Selina. Because she had not known Selina’s friends well, she had stayed close to Superman the entire night, prompting Selina to tease her about double-dating with her and Batman. She was still at a loss to understand how Batman could interact with those lawbreakers on any kind of personal level, unless it was for Selina’s sake.

She’d also learned that Superman had been aware of the ruse before entering the hideout and had hid his knowledge from Diana and Selina. It was the first time she’d learned that Superman could blush. The reasons for his reaction were still something of a mystery to her, though she still thought it charming.

Diana had known Lois only slightly, but had liked her from their first meeting at Queen Hippolyta’s diplomatic reception in Jamaica. Lois had asked some leading questions about Diana’s personal life, about her romantic entanglements, about her royal responsibilities, and especially about her preference in men. Diana had smiled softly and replied that she wished Clark had an unmarried twin brother who was much like him, and had smiled wider as she’d teasingly accused Lois of cheating every other woman on Earth by taking the best man on the planet permanently off the market, because there was no way Clark would look at another woman as long as he and Lois were married.

After a long moment, Lois had smiled back and apologized, both for being suspicious and for claiming Clark from all the ‘other women on Earth.’ After that they’d gotten along fairly well. Now Diana’s main regret was that she hadn’t invested enough time in a relationship with Lois to be called a good friend.

She hoped that Lois would have approved of her. Diana wasn’t sure she could live up to the example the late great Lois Lane had set before her.

Enough prevarication! Either activate the door announcer or walk away, she told herself. The children would not eat her.

After a moment, she convinced her hand to rise. She pressed the button and stepped back, then smoothed the imaginary lines from her skirt and crossed her hands in front of her body.

She was royalty in her home nation. She wasn’t nervous at all. She wouldn’t allow herself to be nervous.

The door opened to reveal the two terrifying teenagers and she got nervous all over again.

“Hi,” said the younger one. “I’m Marta and this is my brother Jon. You must be Diana Prince.”

Diana put on her princess parade smile and nodded. “I am. And I am pleased to see both of you again, Marta and Jon.”

“You’ve met us?” asked Jon.

“Yes, but it has been several years, and each of us was somewhat younger then. It would surprise me if you remembered me.”

Marta leaned over and looked past her visitor. “Ooh, you have a big limousine,” she deadpanned. “Can we get a ride in it sometime? Pretty pretty please?” Marta hesitated for a moment, then mimed jumping up and down with obviously false excitement.

Oh, good, thought Diana, hostile forces encountered upon initial reconnaissance. Recommended response: engage hostiles on their terms.

In a similar flat voice, Diana replied, “Only if you are a very good little girl. And at this point I have a few reservations about that.”

Marta cocked her head to one side and frowned slightly. “No, no, you’re supposed to make campaign promises and flatter us with shallow compliments. Didn’t you read the memo?”

Diana’s eyes narrowed and she straightened regally. “I do not ‘campaign’ for anything, young lady, especially for your affections, and any compliments I might offer to you must be earned. At this point in time, while I have no words of censure for you, I also have no words of praise.”

Marta’s eyebrows both rose and her lips parted. For a moment the two women glared at each other, then Marta smiled sincerely and opened the door wider. “Good evening, Ms. Prince. Won’t you please come in?”

Diana stood where she was and looked at Jon. “Shall we fence also, young man? Or have I received your permission to enter your domain?”

Jon crossed his arms and sighed. “That’s a fair question, if a bit direct.”

“I am only following the example of your sister.”

“True.” He nodded and stepped back. “Please come in, Ms. Prince. I promise not to ambush you while you’re here.”

“Thank you.”

Diana knew what she’d see. It was a modest two-story house in one of the nicer suburbs of Metropolis, and it was not only neat and spotless both inside and out but warm and inviting. She’d visited once with Bruce during Lois’ “wake,” a custom she still did not fully understand, but since then it had been redecorated in softer tones and with sturdier furniture. As soon as Marta shut the door behind her, she stopped in the front room and inhaled deeply.

“Mmm! Whatever is being prepared for dinner has a marvelous aroma. Who is cooking?”

Jon gestured for her to follow him and headed toward the kitchen. “My dad, of course. If he weren’t the Daily Planet’s general editor and a multiple Kerth, Meriwether, and Pulitzer Prize winner, he could be on the staff of any restaurant in the world. You should taste what he can do with leftovers. Sometimes they’re better than the original meal.”

Diana smiled again. “I have sampled his culinary skills a few times, Jon. I am not surprised that this meal is already stimulating my taste buds.”

Marta tapped her on the arm and Diana stopped. “Yes, Marta? You have a question for me?”

“Yeah. How come you talk so funny?”

Diana’s eyebrows rose this time. “I might ask the same question of you. Although I would probably utilize proper English grammar in my query.”

Jon snorted a laugh. “I’d quit while I was close to even if I were you, Mart. This lady isn’t going to take any guff from you.”

Marta swept past them and tossed a silent glance at her visitor, one which seemed to promise more verbal sparring later. Diana returned it as firmly as she felt comfortable doing, hopefully without any implied challenge.

As she watched the fourteen-year-old girl disappear into the kitchen she felt a tug on her skirt. She looked down to see a four-year-old girl in a one-piece coverall sporting a purple cartoon dinosaur on her chest.

Diana bent down and smiled. “Hello, young lady. My name is Diana. What is yours?”

“It’s Ellen, but ev’body calls me Ellie ‘cause they think I’m still a baby.”

“You do not appear to be a baby to me. What do you want me to call you?”

“You can call me Ellie too. You’re almos’ tall as my daddy.”

Diana gave her a mock sigh. “Yes, I know. It means I must have most of my clothes made especially for me instead of shopping at retail stores for them like other women.”

“Are you going to be my new mommy?”

The question jarred Diana. She spent a long moment gathering her thoughts as she went down on one knee beside her new interrogator. “I do not know the answer to your question, Ellie. I have not been asked.”

“Okay. What would you say if Daddy asked you?”

Diana tilted her head to one side. “You are most inquisitive. Perhaps you and I should get to know each other better before we discuss such an eventuality. After all, the arrangement which you suggest would involve you and your older siblings. ”

Rather than look puzzled at Diana’s vocabulary, Ellie nodded. “Good idea. You wanna eat dinner with us?”

“Well, I was invited to share your dinner. By your father, that is.”

“Okay. Will you sit next to me? I’ll tell you what’s good and what’s icky.”

“Icky? Your father is an excellent chef, Ellie. What might he prepare that would be icky?”

Ellie leaned in and whispered, “Daddy’s cooking veggies tonight!”

By the end of the meal, Diana had relaxed. Jon had kept his word and not tried to ambush her, although he had asked a number of questions about the role of men in the lives of the Amazons. She’d answered most of his questions honestly and openly, save for the few she had allowed Clark to prohibit. So Jon did not learn about Amazonian weddings, honeymoon traditions, or the location of Paradise Island that evening.

After a few gentle jabs and parries between them, Marta had backed off and done a lot of listening. And Ellie had laughed with them and asked a few surprisingly mature questions of her own. For his part, Clark had mostly listened and smiled, speaking only when addressed or when the questions became more personal than he deemed appropriate.

In turn, Diana learned first-hand about Jon’s desire to be a doctor so he could save lives and his current standing as an advanced junior in his pre-med course of study. She also learned that Marta had a similar life-saving goal, but had not yet decided on the best career path to achieve it. Diana assured her that she had sufficient time to make that choice, and that making a hasty decision on such an important matter was not the best thing she might do.

As Diana set down her fork for the last time, Marta asked, “Would you like some dessert? We have strawberry shortcake with whipped cream. It’s really good.”

Diana smiled at her. “And did your father prepare that dish also?”

“No.” The girl hesitated, then blurted out, “I did and you may not like it but I think it’s great and so does Dad so I just kind of thought that you’d—”

“Then I shall sample this delicacy, Marta. May I assist you in serving the rest of the gathering?”

Marta gave her a relieved smile. “No! I mean, no thank you. You’re our guest tonight. I’ll get it for you.”

The girl almost scrambled to the kitchen. Diana leaned back and said, “Thank you for inviting me here tonight, Clark. It has been a very long time since I enjoyed an evening this much.”

Ellie piped up, “Can I have some strawb’ry shortcake too?”

Her father smiled. “Sweetie, you’ve had a big dinner and it’s close to your bedtime. I’m not sure you should put so much in your tummy right before you go to sleep.”

“Aww, Daddy! Please?”

Diana lifted her hand. “Excuse me? Clark? Perhaps Ellie and I might share my dessert. I feel certain that Marta’s creation will be more delicious than one person could consume alone.”

Jon snickered. “I’m not sharing mine. I know how good that stuff is gonna be.”

Clark pursed his lips, then nodded. “Okay, Ellie, you can share with Diana. But you have to stop when I say so. Okay?”

“Yaaay!” The four-year-old clapped her hands and bounced in her chair.

Marta chose that moment to return to the dining room. She carefully balanced the tray of dessert bowls on the edge of the table, then took one off and placed it before Diana before repeating the process with the rest of her family.

Diana lifted her eyebrows in surprise. She didn’t recall seeing sliced strawberries piled atop small round cakes with tiny battlements baked along the edges before, nor did she remember seeing the whipped whiteness piled atop them. And crowning each dessert was a whole strawberry, sitting majestically atop the concoction.

Marta’s forlorn voice broke into her reverie. “You don’t like it, do you?”

“I do not know. I have never before tasted such a treat.”

“Really? You’ve never had this? I was afraid you – I thought you went to all those state dinners and formal parties and stuff.”

Diana lifted her gaze to the apprehensive girl. “I do attend such functions, but not as often as some might think. And while I have sampled dessert treats such as cherries jubilee, baked Alaska, and chocolate mousse, I have never been served this.” She lifted her spoon and hesitated. “I am unsure of the proper technique here.”

Ellie heaved a sigh of great exasperation. “You just push your spoon down on the cake and take a bite, silly. It’s not rocket surgery.”

Diana glanced at the young girl, who wore the face of an imp. “Very well, I shall do as you instruct.”

Down went the spoon. Up came a torn-off piece of shortcake, along with some of the whipped cream and a slice of strawberry. It entered her mouth and she tasted it cautiously.

It was incredibly wonderful!

She dropped her spoon to the table in surprise and Marta nearly burst into tears. “I knew you wouldn’t like it! I knew it!”

Diana managed to swallow what she’d tasted, then turned her enormous eyes on the girl. “No! You misunderstand! This is the best thing I have eaten in man’s world!” She grabbed her spoon, then took another bite and swallowed it quickly. “Ever!”

Two more rapid bites followed, then Ellie tapped her on the arm. “Hey! Where’s mine? You said you were gonna share!”

Diana leaned away from the child and grabbed her bowl from the table. “I shall not divide this ambrosia with you, young lady! You deceived me with your youthful wiles and attempted to hide this bounty from me! This is mine!”

Ellie’s face fell. “But you promised!”

Diana hesitated as if battling herself, then relented. “Oh, very well. You may have a small bite.”

The girl beamed again. “Can I use your spoon?”

“I believe your sister brought an Ellie-sized spoon for you. You may take a small bite. Assuming you are properly deferential to your sister who has labored long and hard to prepare this divine treat.”

“Hear that, Squirt?” Marta crowed. “You have to be properly deferential to me!”

“You better make sure I get some shortcake or I’ll put ‘nother garter snake in your bed!”

Before any of the females at the table could say anything else, Clark burst out laughing. Jon joined him almost immediately. Ellie stared at her father and brother, but Diana whispered to her, “Let them laugh. It will mean more shortcake for us. Come, let us enjoy this wonder.”

The two of them shared the treat as Clark, Jon, and Marta watched and smiled.

Diana all but forced them to allow her to help clear the table simply by standing and carrying dishes to the kitchen sink. “I didn’t think princesses did housework,” Jon offered.

“I cannot answer for princesses in other lands,” Diana responded, “but when I was eleven, I was given the task of washing dishes for my mother’s personal guard. Since there were twelve of them and they ate in shifts of four at a time, it made for a long day of washing.”

Marta turned on the water to rinse the dishes. “And you just did it? Didn’t you hate it?”

“Oh, of course I despised the task. I believed that I, who might one day become queen of Themyscira, was far too important to waste my time cleaning plates and pots and goblets for women who would one day be my servants. Then my mother took me aside and explained to me that a true leader is one who serves her people instead of commanding them to serve her.” She took a stack of dishes and handed them to Jon, who placed them in the dishwasher just so. “I did not listen at the time, of course, because I was young and proud and too full of my own self-importance, but since then I have learned the truth of that statement.”

Marta passed over the stack of bowls to Diana, who looked at them longingly and sighed before handing them to Jon. “Marta, you must teach me how to prepare strawberry shortcake. It is by far the most wonderful dessert I have ever tasted.”

Marta blushed and ducked her head. “I bet you’re just saying that to be polite.”

“I am not. One does not serve others through deception, even well-intended deception. Will you teach me?”

Marta turned her glowing face upward. “You really mean it?”

Diana smiled back. “I do. This is a compliment which you have more than earned. And should I be invited to share dinner with you again, I would request politely but most emphatically that you prepare it then.” She leaned down and stage-whispered, “Consider it a personal favor to me.”

Marta winked back. “No sweat. It’ll be even better next time.”

“I do not see how it could be better. Have we any further preparations to make before activating the dishwashing machine?”

Jon checked the detergent reservoir and shook his head. “Nope. We’re ready to push the magic button.”

“Good. What shall we do now?”

“I think Dad’s got a movie or two set up. And before you ask, I don’t know the titles.”

Diana grinned at both of them. “Then let us repair to the movie-viewing room and learn of your father’s choices.”

They walked into the living room to find Ellie clad in her pajamas and frowning in Clark’s arms. “I’m sorry, Diana, but she wants to talk to you before she goes to bed.”

Diana smiled and reached for the little girl. “Then she shall speak with me. But not for long, young lady. You must maintain a consistent sleep schedule.”

“But I want you to read to me!” the girl whined.

“Ah, but your father wishes for you to go to sleep. You do not wish to disobey your father, do you?”

“No. But I want you to read to me!”

Diana glanced at Clark, who nodded. “Very well. Since your father has given his permission, I will read to you. Where shall I sit?”

Ellie leaned back and pointed to a bentwood rocking chair in the corner of the room. Diana didn’t miss the suppressed gasp of surprise from the other three, so she turned her head and asked, “Is this permitted?”

Jon and Marta looked at their father.

Clark looked at his son and older daughter.

As one, the three of them smiled slightly and nodded.

Diana turned back to Ellie. “Very well, I shall sit in that chair and read to you. But you must choose what I am to read.”

The girl wiggled until Diana set her down. She bounced toward the bookcase and grabbed a medium-sized tome, then brought it back to Diana and pulled her to the rocking chair.

The two of them nestled into the chair until both were comfortable, then Diana lifted the book. “What? Ellie, you want me to read ‘Introduction to Quantum Theory of Subatomic Particles’ to you?”

“Yes.”

“Whatever for?”

“Cause I wanna learn about it. I’m gonna be a nuclear physicist—” she pronounced the words slowly and carefully but correctly “—when I grow up.”

“I see. Very well, I shall read it to you. Where shall we begin?”

“At the beginning, of course. Chapter one. I already read the other stuff like the four words and the dead vacation and the before face.”

“What does – oh, you mean the dedication and the preface, do you not?”

“Yeah, that’s them. Now I wanna learn about the physics part.”

Diana smiled again. “Very well. But you must tell me when you begin to tire. This is a challenging subject for adults, so I do not expect you to finish the book tonight.”

Ellie laid her head on Diana’s shoulder. “I’ll tell you when I get tired.”

“Good. Then let us begin. Hmm. Here we are. Chapter one. ‘The study of quantum physics is the study of very tiny particles, all of them too small to be seen without the aid of very powerful microscopes, and the manner in which they interact with each other and with the macro world. These particles are smaller than molecules, smaller than atoms, and in some cases, smaller than the electrons which orbit the nucleus of the atom.’ Does that make sense to you, Ellie?”

The girl nodded. “Pretty much. I already learned some stuff about atoms.”

“Then we shall continue. ‘These particles are so small that even shining a light on them changes the qualities of the particles, because the individual photons which make up a beam of light are often the same size as the particles, if not larger.’ My, that is very small.”

Ellie pointed at the book. “Keep reading, please.”

Diana smiled and continued.

“’—and so we can determine either the speed in which these particles are moving or their current location, but not both.’” Diana stopped and shook her head. “I never knew how interesting quantum theory was before tonight.”

The girl on her shoulder didn’t respond. “Ellie?” whispered Diana. “Are you still awake?”

The only response Ellie gave was to take a deeper breath and reach up to gently hold Diana’s neck. “Clark?” she whispered. “I believe our little physicist is ready for bed.”

Her father padded over softly and tried to take the girl from Diana’s lap, but Ellie moaned, “No! Mommy D put me to bed.”

Both Diana and Clark froze for a moment and looked at each other. Clark spoke first. “You don’t have to,” he whispered.

Diana knew her eyes were damp as she smiled. “But I wish to. May I?”

Clark’s smile lit up the room. “Of course. Up the stairs, down the hall, second door to the left. Her nightlight’s already on.”

“Thank you. I shall return in a few moments.”

She slowly carried the sleeping child to her bedroom, surprised at her own reluctance to release her. As she settled the girl in her bed and pulled the covers up, Ellie grunted and turned onto her side to face Diana.

“Do you like me?”

“What sort of silly question is this? Of course I like you, Ellie. You are a wonderful little girl. And very intelligent, also. Not many Amazons of your age would comprehend such a complex subject as quantum theory so well as you.”

“I like you too.”

Diana arranged the bedclothes so the girl’s chest was covered but her arms were free. “Thank you. You are a wonderful young lady. You make it very easy for me to like you.”

“G’night, Mommy D.”

The endearment shook Diana to the core. She leaned over and kissed the girl softly on the cheek and whispered, “Good night, beautiful one. Sleep well.”

She stood and stepped to the foot of the bed and watched Ellie drift off again.

The girl had called her “Mommy D.” Twice. The endearment went straight to her heart and penetrated all her carefully constructed defenses.

Diana had, years ago, given up any vague plans she might have had for a family of her own. There were too many responsibilities, too many demands on her time, and too few available men whom she respected enough to even consider marriage. She’d decided that she would live and rule, if called upon, as a single woman, and pass the throne along to her most qualified niece.

But somewhere – maybe during dessert or maybe as Diana had read to her – little four-year-old Ellie had wrecked those plans with a few simple words and a request for Diana to put the child to bed. Now Diana could not only contemplate being a mother, she suddenly wanted to be this little one’s mother. And if that meant dealing with an occasionally bratty teenaged girl and an older brother who was all but grown himself, then she’d take on that responsibility most willingly.

Assuming, of course, that Clark would also think it was a good idea.

And that Ellie didn’t change her mind.

And that both Jon and Marta agreed. The last thing Diana wanted to do was to disrupt this wonderful family. Clark and Lois had gotten these young ones off to an excellent start, Clark had done so much to aid in their continued growth and maturity, and it would be an utter travesty for another woman to barge in and wreck what they had built together.

So she wiped her eyes dry, sniffed back a small sob, and gently closed the bedroom door as she left the room. She’d wait and see what might happen in the future.

She already knew what she hoped might happen.

Last edited by Terry Leatherwood; 01/31/15 09:49 AM. Reason: fix another typo

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing