Band of Blue TOC

Chapter 15

My Night with Superman

“Ugh,” Lois grunted. “That sounds like we ...” she muttered to herself then stabbed at the delete key until the title was erased. Lois had the article written but couldn’t come up with a title that made her happy.

“Are you okay, Lois?” came a soothing voice from across the table. She looked up. “I would have thought you would be on top of the world after bagging the interview everyone was told to fight over.”

“I’m perfectly fine, Smallville,” she replied. “Definitely on top of the world.” She stabbed at the keyboard again.

Superman Speaks

“Argh.” Lois used the delete button furiously to get rid of the terrible alliterative title. Out of the corner of her eye she saw Clark stand up and come round to her. He stood next to her desk and looked down at her. She couldn’t help but look back up at him.

“Lois,” he said sincerely. “What’s wrong?”

“It’s just ...” she stumbled for words. “How am I ever supposed to top this scoop? I’ve written the best interview ever while still in the basement. Sure, this article will probably move me out of the basement but what is there then?”

“Lois!” Clark said in a gentle but surprised tone. “It’s just an interview with some guy. Pulitzers are won from deep exposés, Lois. You’ve got plenty of those in your future.”

“Pulitzers ... or exposés?” Lois looked away from Clark’s intense gaze. It was hard. She’d felt trapped by it, drawn into his eyes; like with Superman. He had a strong gaze. Lois felt her eyes and forehead tighten a little in thought. Similar ass, similar eyes ... in fact they were almost the same intense blue colour.

“Both,” came Clark’s reply and she looked back up to see a sincere smile on his face.

“Thanks, Smallville.” She smiled back. “And Superman is not just ‘some guy’.” Lois watched as Clark’s expression changed minutely. He took a deep breath.

“Look, Lois, why don’t I take you out for coffee after work tonight, try to find more things to cheer you up?” Lois was shocked. Is Clark Kent asking me out on a date? Like a Date date?

“I’m not saying we should go on a date,” came a quickly stumbled follow-up comment.

“Not a date,” she repeated. Was that a tone of disappointment creeping into her voice?”

“Something like a date, though,” came another reply.

“Sure, Smallville, you can buy me coffee.” She smiled her most winning smile as if to say ‘but watch out what you’re letting yourself in for’.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Clark sat opposite Lois in the small coffee house. He watched her fiddle with her cup then finally pick it up, cupping it in both hands to bring it up to her mouth. Clark followed the cup all the way. He kept his eyes on her face but she seemed to be avoiding looking directly at him. Her gaze was aimed at the cup by his elbow. He watched as she nibbled on her lip. She’s nervous again, he thought. And this time it’s not the superhero Superman who’s making her nervous. He smiled.

“So, Lois,” he began the conversation. “What are we going to do about the DA investigation now that he’s been arrested?”

“I guess there isn’t much investigating left to do.” She looked up at him.

“How did the police know to arrest him?” Clark asked. He knew, but he was trying to get Lois to join in a conversation. Not usually a hard thing. Lois flicked her hair over her shoulder and looked up at Clark.

“It was during the interview with Superman,” she explained. “There was a shooter. Superman stopped the bullet and took the guy to the police. I guess he talked.”

“Bullet, huh!” Clark feigned a little surprise.

“Yeah. Who knew he could catch bullets eh!” She smiled a shy smile to herself. “Also, shoot fire from his eyes and see right through things.” Lois reeled off the list of powers Clark had revealed to her last night.

“Really?” Clark feigned a little surprise again. He remembered the conversation about his powers. Lois had got a little embarrassed and worried when he mentioned seeing through things.

“Oh, Clark,” she sighed. “It was wonderful. He flew me home. Superman carried me in his arms and I felt the wind rushing around us.” She rested her chin on one hand and stared out of the window.

Clark frowned down at his drink. It was quite clear that Lois thought Superman was wonderful. He sipped at his drink for the next hour while Lois talked on and on about Superman. She seemed to know about every save he had made including the very first bus save. Her instincts were incredibly good as she’d already deduced that it was Superman, even without the costume.

Clark realised that he needed to be really careful around Lois otherwise she’d figure it all out. He knew he’d already made some mistakes. He’d mentioned something about one of the bus crashes that the driver had told Superman but Lois hadn’t noticed that. Yet. If she thought about it too much and checked her notes she might put it all together. But maybe that wouldn’t be a bad thing? Maybe he’d get the attention he wanted from her if he told her? No. She had to like Clark for Clark ... not because of any other sides to his persona.

He decided to test the water to see how much she did like Clark.

“Lois?” he asked when there was a lull in the Superman glorification tumbling from her lips. “Are you free on the 28th,” he took a breath, “of next month?”

“I’m not sure, why do you ask?”

“Well, I’ve been invited to my High School reunion and wondered if you’d come with me.”

“Oh!” Lois looked down at her empty coffee cup. “I’ll ... I’ll have to check if I’m free then I’ll get back to you.”

Clark got the distinct impression that ‘checking’ was just an excuse to delay saying no. I’ve got no chance with her. Not unless I tell her I’m Superman.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Oliver Queen picked up his copy of the Daily Planet, put his feet up on his desk and opened it out to see the full front page. He suddenly pulled his feet back and flattened out the paper on his desk, leaning forwards to read the article.

Who is Superman? by Lois Lane

The article covered the whole of the front page. Lois Lane. She was the pair of legs that brazenly asked me for an interview. Ollie frowned as he read through the revealing article. Does she know? Clark Kent is her work colleague. And if she knows ... is my secret safe? Of course she knows, how else would she get the interview. Clark wouldn’t give it away to another reporter for any other reason.

Making a split second decision Ollie reached for the phone and set to contacting the leggy reporter.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

“Lois Lane.” She answered on the first ring.

“Miss Lane, this is Oliver Queen.”

Lois felt her mouth drop open and she nearly lost grip on the phone.

“Mr Queen!” Her voice came out in a squeak.

“I read your Superman article this morning and I’m impressed. When you came to me asking for an interview I didn’t really know if celebrity interviews were your style.” Lois gulped and tried to get her mouth to form words. “I’d be happy to give you the interview you asked for. When is most convenient?”

“Erm!” Her brain would still not tell her mouth what words to say.

“How about you come by my office this afternoon at two?”

“Okay, Mr Queen, I’ll see you there.” She finally spoke. Putting the receiver down she stared in shock at the phone. A smile came to her lips. I’ve done it. I’ve made it big now. My name is known She gave a little squeal and pushed her chair round in a twirl.

She stopped the spinning movement after a few seconds and pulled herself back to her desk. Immediately she started typing away some notes. Things she already knew about the billionaire, things that were speculation. This eventually turned into the list of questions she would have for him.

I wish I’d had advance warning for the Superman interview. I had to think up the questions on the spot. Thinking about the Superman interview she recalled her coffee out with Clark last night. She stopped typing and turned to look up the stairs to her left. Clark had left to bring them coffees ten minutes ago, where was he? She groaned as she remembered the conversation last night. How could he let me prattle on about Superman for all that time? He even said it was ‘something like a date’ and I went and talked about another man the whole time.

Lois looked down at her hands and noticed that she was tapping at her notepad with her pen. It was a nervous habit. She forcibly stopped her hand from tapping and nibbled on her lip instead. How can I make it up to Clark? Let him know that I do like him. Lois shifted in her chair. As a friend, she stated to herself. He’s a nice guy.

Just as she was thinking about how nice Clark was a coffee appeared at her elbow.

“There you go, Lois. Sorry it took so long; every machine I came to was broken or being refilled.”

She looked up at Clark. “Thanks, Smallville.” She glanced away then looked back. “Say, I’ve checked my diary and I’m free.”

“Free?” Clark questioned.

“The reunion. I’ll come with you.” Lois watched some un-interpretable emotions play across Clark’s face.

“Great. Thanks, Lois. We’ll have a great time. And Chloe will probably be there too. I’m sure you’d love to catch up with her.”

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Clark stared at Lois from across the room. She was fiddling with the photocopier and he had a wonderful view of her legs. Okay Clark. You’ve got your chance to woo her. She’s agreed to come with you. You just need to do some ground work beforehand. Be a good friend. Maybe get her to have coffee a few more times. And most definitely NOT wear that tacky ring on the night.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Pop on over here to leave a comment.

KatherineKent/Victoria
Lois: "You put up with me for the same reason I put up with you. It's because I'm completely in love with you."
Clark: "And I love you ... Did we just make up?"
Lois: "I think so."