Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#260255 12/27/14 11:46 PM
C
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
C
Anyone up for creating their own personal challenges for 2015?

My resolutions for 2015...

1) Buy a house. A growing family three bedrooms and zero basement for five people (as of April 2015) equals a mom perpetually frustrated by the amount of toys in the house (visible toys).

2) Give birth to a healthy little girl. (expect this one to be a relative cinch).

3) work on my stories and get at least another chapter or two out of "When Pheromones Attack" or post "Late Night Phone Call" (either "Clark POV" version or "Lois POV version).

4) Get my little wise Lion into daycare/the pre-school type program that his brother is in (they have a version for a year forward). Hopefully that will give me a little time with my new little one or at least time to work on other projects.

5) TRY to get my article on the history of the local newspapers to a decent place and let the local history museum curator look at it. I've been embarrassed to show it to her, afraid of what she'd think (It's a long story, I used to work there and I feel like when I left it wasn't on the best terms, but they're the ones that need to see/know this info and the last time I talked to her it didn't feel like she held it against me).

6) Schedule one date night a month with hubby. I didn't do this last year and I think we've been hurt by this the most

Last edited by Christina; 12/30/14 03:33 PM. Reason: to add a resolution

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)
Kerth
Kerth
Okay. I think I've got them.

1. Get a better job, or at least work a lot harder. Basically make more money. Because my second hope for the year...

2. Travel more. Do more. I have at least 2 trips planned for the year, and I'm hoping to make a third happen. Kicking it off with LA and Disneyland in January, then Montana in the late spring (or whenever my bff tells me it's melted up there), and hopefully somewhere else in the last half of the year. Doing more includes travel, but also I live in a very isolated area, so I really want to work on getting out more.

3. Get healthy. I'm happier when I'm healthy, so do it to feel good. Paired with this-- participate in a couple of runs, hopefully in preparation for a tough mudder competition this June(July?). If not, a couple of color or fun runs would be a blast and a good milestone.

4. Be more daring. Don't be afraid to live a little, even if I get hurt along the way. I don't want 2016 to roll around and be wishing I did more.

5. Post a completed, lengthy story for both LnC and Castle. (Along with several others.) I want to get back on my plan of writing at least a short(ish) story a month, and I'm trying to be better about posting. Things have been crazy busy lately, too busy to write even, and I'd like to get around to that more.

6. Get on an actual schedule. Yeah, life is always gonna be messy and things are gonna come flying at you to throw you off course, but it's a whole lot less messy when you have a plan to help you bounce back. Otherwise things just spiral. NO MORE SPIRALING 2015!

And holy cow guys. 2015. Fingers crossed for hoverboards. grin

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I don't know, LWhite. Lasagna sounds good to me. drool smile

Mine might sound a little familiar [Linked Image]:

1. Get a job. I'd like one in an office where I might have some pride, but I'm past the point of getting what I want anymore. So, get a job, any job, so I don't lose my house or end up on welfare.
1b. Convince the school board that paying teaching staff for an entire month at once at the end of the *next* month is sooooo 1850's and they should join the 21st century. My hubby is still waiting to get paid for being a substitute T.A. from November. This is unacceptable in this day and age.

2. Finish Wrong Clark: Book 2. wink (I can do this. I can do this. I can do this!)

3. Sleep more. Try to go to bed with my husband by 10pm. rotflol I've only had this one on the list for the last... um... forever. This will be the year.

4. Walk more. (i.e. for exercise.) Well, I can hardly walk less. So, I think this is doable.

5. Yell less. I'm going to try a new technique. It's called whispering. If the kids are being too loud to hear me, *they'll* have to quiet down. Also, I'll stop telling them to do things repetitively. They will have to do what I say the first time or suffer the consequences (which usually includes turning off the television.)

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Whine less. Write more.

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
Top Banana
Top Banana
Generally don't do resolutions but this year: I WILL retire! (Had planned on it last year but a bunch of resignations kept me working...)

Mike

Create all the happiness you are able to create.
Remove all the misery you are able to remove.

Jeremy Bentham

Top Banana
Top Banana
Originally Posted by Morgana
Whine less. Write more.

Ditto.

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
2) Give birth to a healthy little girl. (expect this one to be a relative cinch).
I very much hope you keep this one, but if you do, please do NOT take it for granted. Speaking as someone who had an extremely smooth pregnancy and who then gave birth to a child with multiple special needs, I know that having a healthy child is by no means a given.

I'm not saying this to scare you; statistically speaking, your child will probably be healthy. I'm just saying it in the hopes that you cherish your good fortune if (and hopefully when) this resolution does come to pass.

Joy,
Lynn

L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
My resolution is to lose a certain amount of weight and keep it off. (A boring and common resolution, but appropriate.)

Joy,
Lynn

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
1. Lose more weight. (I'm down 25-ish pounds from my highest post-pregnancy weight, making me just about my pre-pregnancy weight.)

2. Get my sugar levels under control. Be more diligent about taking my meds. (My A1C NEEDS to be 6.5 or lower if I ever want to have another baby - my fertility clinic simply will not touch me if I am over.)

3. Write more, if possible. (Does it count that I am almost done writing a new fic?)

4. Be more patient. With everything.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
To maintain a positive attitude. That includes working with situations which can be changed and trying not to dwell on the others. Stop dwelling on worrying about life changing events such as kids going away to college, unstable job situations, health issues, etc..,

It's funny, I feel I've been struggling with many of these issues for the past few years. When I mentioned my resolution to my daughter just now she said, "Mom, you're the most positive person I know." Guess I have to focus on maintaining positive thoughts.

Joan

LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Catching up on my late New Year's Resolutions...is that a bad sign? lol

Well...even if it is, here goes nothing clap.

1. Settle in to our home. We moved from out of state to our now home in late November. Love so much that we are here--close again to family, to friends, it's where I want to be. But with holidays, little kids, and this month lots of colds/a round of Pink Eye for each kiddo...yeah--settling in is taking forever. We're settled in enough to have everything we need. There aren't any boxes lingering around the house. But--there are tubs of randomness still here and there. Areas that need organized. I need to make it 'homey'. And there doesn't seem to be enough hours in the day lately blush.

2. Get involved. I stay home with the kids--they're both in preschool. I'd love to do more regarding their preschool. And we're going to find some sort of activity for them to try this summer, I think. Plus, there are other volunteer things I've been wanting to do forever (amazing animal shelter that always needs help in the area, etc).

3. Cooking. It was here last year, too. And since it's back again this year, obvious to say that it wasn't improved upon wink. I nuke in the microwave...I unthaw from the freezer. There's more to meals than this, lol smile.

4. Make the most out of the year. Travel. Go to museums. Find neat areas to take the kiddos to. Spend tons of time with family (now that we're back and living close dance ). Live in the moment and appreciate the blessings...

5. Write. I started a L&C fanfic last...hmm...I think it was last Feb. whistle. I've been working on it s-l-o-w-l-y for months. Unfortunately totally obsessing over everything detail--it's my first fanfic (besides a poem I subitted when I first signed up on the boards here). Finally, it's getting 'somewhere' and I'm getting excited about it. Anyway, I just really want to keep it going, get it finished, get it 'up' here wink.

Laura

Last edited by LMA; 01/24/15 04:43 PM.

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by VirginiaR
1. Get a job. I'd like one in an office where I might have some pride, but I'm past the point of getting what I want anymore. So, get a job, any job, so I don't lose my house or end up on welfare.
Partial check on this one! party I'm starting my new part-time job tomorrow as an office manager at a bridal shop! Wish me luck! dance

VirginiaR.
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Kerth
Kerth
Originally Posted by VirginiaR
I'm starting my new part-time job tomorrow as an office manager at a bridal shop!
Congratulations! clap

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Awesome, Virginia hyper hyper hyper. Congrats--will be thinking about you tomorrow on your first day.

Exciting! clap
Laura

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Congratulations and good luck. And perhaps the surroundings and the clientele might inspire you to come up with more WAFFy ideas. smile

Joy,
Lynn

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by Lynn S. M.
Congratulations and good luck. And perhaps the surroundings and the clientele might inspire you to come up with more WAFFy ideas.
If it makes my stories more WAFFy and less angsty, that can't be a bad thing, can it? wink

VirginiaR.
---
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
If it makes my stories more WAFFy and less angsty, that can't be a bad thing, can it?
My sentiments exactly. smile

Joy,
Lynn

L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
p.s., Cute avatar Virginia. May I take it from that that you are corrupting encouraging the next generation of Superman fans? wink

Joy,
Lynn

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by Lynn S. M.
p.s., Cute avatar Virginia. May I take it from that that you are corrupting encouraging the next generation of Superman fans? wink
Isn't that our job as parents? To encourage our kids to love (or hate) the things we love? lol We've been watching Young Justice this week (while they were home sick from school), so I'm confused why he's suddenly drawing Superman and Green Lantern. (Oh, right, we also watched some Green Lantern series as well.) At least, it's better than Minecraft, TMNT, or Super Mario. razz He's colored pictures of Superman and drawn a hilarious Lex Luthor (completely unrecognizable, on purpose) previously, but this was his first full drawing (non-stick figure) of Superman. It was too adorable not to subject you share it with all of you. Luckily, he's still of an age where he'll draw something for me just because he knows I'll like it (not necessarily because he's a fan). It was a gift. laugh I'm amazed I figured out how to shrink it to make it my avatar.

Last edited by VirginiaR; 01/28/15 11:00 PM. Reason: Argh. Typo

VirginiaR.
---
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I love how you can tell it's Superman because of the blue suit and the red cape. Well done.

Also, congrats on the job! I'm sure you'll find plenty of inspiration for humorous romantic bits to put into your fics. (Or maybe Bridezilla moments too.) laugh

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard