Next Thread
Print Thread
#260782 01/21/15 08:47 AM
T
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
T
There is an epilogue to this tale not included in the chapter count, so very few threads will be left dangling at the end. I hope everyone can see Clark well in this chapter, even if it's through the eyes of other people.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
As soon as WW was brought in, Batman notwithstanding, I thought Terry was going to go the way of the New 52 and have SM hook up with WW.

The story does appear to be headed in that direction.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj
C
Top Banana
Top Banana
C
Originally Posted by KenJ
As soon as WW was brought in, Batman notwithstanding, I thought Terry was going to go the way of the New 52 and have SM hook up with WW.

The story does appear to be headed in that direction.

Thank goodness. I wasn't too keen on seeing it even though it might have been a logical option.

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I, too, was worried that the story might be leading Clark towards Diana. Although, the way that Diana is presented in this story I can hardly doubt that she fits the description of what Clark is looking for in a replacement for Lois:
The kids need a mother figure in their lives but I can’t even think about dating because I don’t have the time and I really don’t want to look at another woman.
This Diana isn't one I can see as a "mother figure". She sounds like a good friend, but not exactly the kind of woman Clark and the children need to bring warmth to their home. As a teacher to Marta and Ellie, sure, but not as a mother figure. Diana, as she was shown in this and previous parts, neither wants nor is is ready for such a job. Again this quote shows that Clark doesn't understand that any woman who would replace Lois at this stage in his grief could only be an "evil stepmother". Remarrying for the sake of the children does no one any good. How could the kids accept someone to enter into their lives, if he doesn't want anyone to enter into his?

I did wonder though at all the non-Kent family centric scenes. Why keep showing Diana over and over again, especially interspersed with scenes of the kids discussing how to treat any "replacement" Clark might bring home and Clark mourning at Lois's grave. It was a break from what we had seen in previous parts, which had shown either Lois, Clark, or other people discussing Lois and/or Clark. I could think of only two reasons to do so. a) Red Herring (let's me scare the readers into thinking I'm going to have Clark fall for Diana, then NOT) or b) Have Clark and Diana come together later on after the kids are grown. I certainly don't see her as one of them.

I was a bit surprised by what Clark said here:
“The kids are due back from their school field trip in about an hour. I have to pick up Ellie from day care, and I should have a snack ready for them so they don’t start eating the furniture.”
Three years have past since Lois's death, right? Making Jon, what, thirteen? Isn't he old enough to make snack? He's certainly old enough to babysit them as well (and be Bruce's new Robin, but that would be another story entirely). Or is this just an example of why Clark is so stretched thin? Is it because he cannot allow himself to let go even a little and allow his kids to grow up?

I liked Selina. I wouldn't be surprised that with babysitters like that if Ellie doesn't grow up to be just like her mother. I am curious how that Dallas club owner was influenced by Lois. His mention of her seemed a bit out of the blue. Also, Diana's emotional blackmail of Bruce was fun.

The moments of Clark missing Lois at her grave were touching and profound. He misses her and doesn't want to replace her, which shows me that he should not.

I'm sorry to hear of Sam's death, and Ellen's decline thereafter. I didn't mention in the last part, but I liked very much how Sam showed his love for Lois by working to save her, even if it took him away during her final days. Perhaps after Ellen recovers, she can be more help to Clark and his family, relieving him of some of his burdens. I can only hope she's improved her ability of dealing with stress since Lois was a child. But, being Ellen, I'm not holding my breath.

I'm not quite sure where this story is headed, especially with only two parts and an epilogue left (or is 14 the epilogue?) I'd love to see some actual interaction between Clark and Ellie, talking about Lois. So far, the only real mention Clark has had of his youngest child was in complaining of being stretched too thin. This is worrisome and troubles me deeply (You might have noticed the constant mention of it in my comments) on both Clark's and Ellie's parts. We have seen a real relationship between Clark and Marta and him and Jon. At least, we saw a little third person account of her interacting with her brother and sister. It's good that Marta and Jon know how much their father is suffering at the loss of their mother.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
Its good to see Clark's friends helping with the extra loads He needs a break from having to do everything.

The Kent household needs a nanny.

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
T
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
T
My apologies for the delay in posting. I've been sick and Real Life has loomed over me like - well, like Real Life. So I hope the next chapter answers some of the questions about Clark and Diana and Superman and Wonder Woman. Remember, this story is about moments and is not intended to be a detailed chronological account.

Next chapter will up in moments. And no, the wordplay was not intentional.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard