Print Thread
#260696 01/17/15 07:14 AM
T
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
T
sad

More painful moments. But there's a light at the end of the tunnel.

And yes, Bruce Wayne will appear again.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Top Banana
Top Banana
I was just read this chapter.

I found it very poignant and I actually cried in this part where I did not (was just sad) in the previous part. Terry may write the grieving process as well as anyone I have ever read. The funeral was very moving and very interesting (Bruce Wayne and Diana Prince). It also showed how Terry is focusing on the life of Lois not the death. The death, it seems, is a emotional plot point to emphasize her life and its impact on everyone around her. I loved the postcards, they are SO Lois. I am not particularly religious, but I loved the sentiment and how even from the grave Lois is lifting the emotional burden of the ones left behind. Would I have liked Lois to live longer and see Jon and Marta graduate and maybe get married? Of course, but I suspect we will see her and her influence on the remainder of her family's life. Jonathan and Martha's hint of health problems is a bit troubling as the last thing Clark is going to need right now is to have to deal with that. Maybe that will be Jon's next obsession medically.

I will ride it through to the end because as I said before I really don't mind these type of deathfic stories and it is moving the direction I suspected it would.

Terry putting the seed in Clark's mind of remarrying is occurring earlier that I had expected. I guess we will see if he takes it that far and crosses into another taboo here on the boards... I really don't mind Clark moving on after an appropriate amount of time. For him though that period of time seems to be a lot longer than for normal people.

Mike

Create all the happiness you are able to create.
Remove all the misery you are able to remove.

Jeremy Bentham

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I'm glad so many people showed up to honor Lois and her work. I'm not too surprised that Intergang sent some people to the funeral. Although, knowing Lois they might have been informants whom she worked with, not necessarily all bad.

I, too, am saddened to hear about the ill health of Clark's folks. At this moment, he doesn't need the double blow of losing either of his folks. Losing anyone else with whom Clark is close would be bad anytime soon. But it would only show how little of life he can actually control.

It was nice to see Bruce and Diana at the funeral. A little look into how Superman's life has changed since canon. I was worried because Clark, Jon, Marta, and Ellie weren't mentioned (as being seen) by any of the people in attendance. I did begin to wonder if they were there at all. I can see why you wouldn't want to describe their grief (give them their privacy), but it did strike me as a little odd.

I was a bit shocked by Ellen and Lucy's conversation. Not shocked that Ellen would say that, because that's who she is, but that either Lucy or Clark would ever consider it. Two months after Lois's death isn't that long. Personally, I was disgusted that the thought would ever cross Clark's mind, especially taking Lucy into his bed. The only reason I could see him doing that is out of his grief anger (which, again, I personally cannot understand, because it wasn't as if Lois had wanted to die or had done anything recently to make her health worse.) I can't see him looking at Lucy or even considering her in that manner.

As Lois became the Kents' daughter, Lucy and Clark are equal as brother and sister and such a relationship seems incestuous to me. razz I know it happens, but still YUCK! It would be a slap in Lois's face, especially to have Clark think any such thoughts so soon after his wife's passing. And to say he's doing it for the kids would be a huge injustice, because it would do nothing but bring animosity between them. His kids would never forgive him if he did that and they certainly wouldn't accept Lucy (or anyone else) as a replacement for their mother, especially until their lives return to some form of normal. They can understand her being there as their aunt, but if anything were to happen between their father and Lucy it would just make his kids lose total respect for him. The best thing he can do for his kids is be the best single father he can be. That would be better for all of them (mentally and emotionally) than if he tried to replace Lois with someone else.

He is still in morning. I am worried that we still haven't seen any direct interaction between Clark and Ellie. I'm hoping that he, Jon, and Marta aren't subconsciously blaming her for the death of Lois... because that's a hard burden for any child to have, especially one who needs their love now more than any love that Lucy or anyone else can give her. Even just holding Ellie in his arms when overhearing the conversation between Ellen and Lucy would have been enough contact for me to see that he's not completely ignoring the newest member of his family.

I do wonder how much Superman has been doing in these last few months. He is needed at home. His family should be his priority now, yet I can see him not wanting to curb any of his activities as Superman. I hope Marta and Jon step up and give him a what-for, as they did with Lois, should he try to do so. I'm also wondering who will be taking care of Ellie once Lucy leaves. It doesn't sound as if Ellen is volunteering or the Kents are even still in town. Marta and Jon should be back in school by now and Clark back to work (or is he taking a leave of absence?) Bringing any stranger (nanny) to care for Ellie would be inviting someone to learn that the Kents aren't any normal family.

Last edited by VirginiaR; 01/17/15 08:51 PM. Reason: Add a paragraph break

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
As was previously said, this story was bravely written.

Martha smiled and wiped her eyes again. “For Lois? No, not at all. We all have to go sometime, and being able to look forward to seeing our loved ones again is comforting.” She leaned closer. “Jonathan and I may both be closer to that day than anyone would like to think.”

Seriously? Clark needs his parents right now.

Jim’s gaze ran over the sides and back of the room. There were a couple of suspicious characters sitting near the back corner, faces he recognized even though he couldn’t put names to them, and he thought about signaling to someone to watch them. But then he saw a hard-faced young main in an expensive suit rise from his seat beside Metropolis Police Chief William Henderson and glide to the back, where he whispered to two uniformed officers. The unis nodded, then eased along the wall until they bracketed the end of the pew where the two suspicious characters sat. Then they folded their hands in front of them and nodded at the men. The men in the pew returned the nods and shifted uncomfortably.

Nicely done. Message was most definitely received.

Henderson was no Jim Gordon, but he was very good at his job.

Beg to differ. Henderson is as good in his city as Gordon is in Gotham. They both have to deal with costumed types. Not an occupation for the faint at heart.

Much of the conversation between Bruce and Diana was lost on me because I don't read the comics. Is Diana thinking of Clark as more than a colleague/friend now that his wife is gone? That would be in really poor taste.

He took a moment to look over the packed auditorium. So many people were there to say goodbye to Lois, so many were there to support Clark and the kids, so many were there to celebrate her life and her achievements, and a very few were there to make sure she was actually gone.

Loved Perry's comments, chock full of wit, wisdom and hard sense garnered over decades of a life well spent. It not have been easy for him. But for his last public appearance he went out in style.

That last sentence was hilarious!

The next three parts should wrap up the tale.

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
T
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
T
The next chapter is coming, but I need to respond here first.

Mike, I am not exactly glad that you cried, but I am glad that the extended family's pain came through. I was trying to show their grief without being maudlin and wallowing in it. Looks like I hit the target.

Virginia, the thought that the Intergang guys might have been informants paying their last respects to Lois is almost funny. They'd have to be careful not to let it be known that they're not just gangsters, and no one else at the funeral would know who they really were, so they'd be in danger of either arrest or revealing themselves to the wrong people.

I did show Marta for a moment, and I mentioned that the kids were with Clark. But there's only so much one can squeeze into a single chapter. The kids did get some screen time back at the house after the service, though.

Don't be shocked by Clark thinking about Lucy. The thought crossed his mind and he rejected it almost immediately. There will be no Clucy in this tale.

Ellen was trying to mother her adult daughter and prevent the situation which is making you flinch. It should comfort you to know that all the principals decided beforehand that it was a really bad idea.

Your comment about Clark and Ellie is quite on the nose. There is some Clark/Ellie interaction in a couple of chapters, only because the POV focus is shifting a little. You'll see that no one blames Ellie for what happened to Lois.

Even though I didn't explicitly show it, Superman is backing way off his usual activities. That's why Wonder Woman is in town for a time, so she can take up some of the slack. But it's another good point.

Morgana, Clark does need his folks. Don't worry, their departure from this plane of existence is not coming up right away. Even I'm not that evil.

Bruce never said Henderson wasn't good, just that he wasn't Jim Gordon. There's a very human tendency to compare the lesser known to the well-known, and this comment was intended to show that Bruce approved of Henderson's actions and his general fitness for the office. I'm sorry that didn't come across as I intended.

At this point, Diana doesn't know Clark as well as she knows Bruce, so no, she's not "setting her cap" for the recently bereaved husband and father. That's something else I did not intend to come across in that way.

I'm glad you liked Perry's eulogy.

I presume by
That last sentence was hilarious!
you meant Perry's last sentence, not the last sentence of the chapter.

More to come! Stay tuned, same Super-time, same Super-channel!

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard