Next Thread
Print Thread
#260641 01/14/15 08:34 AM
T
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
T
We're in the valley now. Just remember that no valley is forever.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Top Banana
Top Banana
*sniff* That is so sad! And there's four chapters left ...

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
My feelings exactly.

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
Top Banana
Top Banana
I guess I have a bit different opinion on this chapter. I did not cry as Terry has been telegraphing this for many chapters. I was just sad. I guess Terry could bring Lois back but that is not his normal style. He tends to keep pretty much away from the supernatural type of things like bringing people back to life in some amazing fashion (read She's; his push back to the crazy freeze/revive Lois plot line from the series). He could do that this time but it does not normally seem to be his style.

Now Terry don't choke or anything like that but I, I guess like Terry, see this story as a Lifefic not a Deathfic. I consider when the story allows the character to have a full life before they die not a deathfic. A deathfic is a story that focuses on the death of a character where this story focuses on the life of the character. It is the story (high points and low points) of Lois' life. The impact she has had on the people who love her and the influence on their lives. She died in the process of giving life to another of her children and I expect Ellen to be told all about her mother as she grows up. As the old adage goes there is only one way into this earth and only one way out.

Speaking of Lois' impact on others. Jon seems to have the best (?) qualities of Lois and Clark. He breaks into Bernie's computer to investigate his mother's health situation(Lois). He cannot look at his mother as she is dying(more like Clark). I see that his mother's death will drive him even further into the medical field to provide a meaningful impact on others. Marta's unusual empathetic abilities could have similar opportunities. We sill just have to see what gifts Ellen has but I assume they will be special in their own way.

I guess we will find out how Terry wraps this up but as Annie said their are 4 chapters left and an epilogue. Terry promises us a more upbeat ending so we will just have to stay tuned to see where he takes us from here. I guess I am personally torn between bringing her back to life and allowing her to impact the kids and their kids and allowing her to remain dead and impacting them also just in a different fashion.

(And no, no one has hacked my account laugh )
Mike

Last edited by Mike M; 01/14/15 11:47 AM. Reason: Added hacking comment

Create all the happiness you are able to create.
Remove all the misery you are able to remove.

Jeremy Bentham

Kerth
Kerth
I appreciate the quality of your writing. Yes, Lois has certainly had a long life, filled with the love of her husband and children. However, I'd suggest you consider the warning at the beginning of your story when you post the final draft. I don't consider Lois' death to be a "soft WHAM", regardless of how expected it was. I typically don't read stories on the archive that are tagged with a major WHAM/character death tag. But I'll continue to read this one because I am invested in it and will endeavor to look at it as a Lifefic, as Mike suggested.

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
Top Banana
Top Banana
groobie,

As I said in an earlier part FDK, I remembered when Terry asked for betas for this fic. At that time he indicated major WHAMS and that writing it made him sad. I mean he could have substantially changed the story during the beta process but I have it on pretty good authority that he is not generally open to that. I am unsure why he changed the warning for the actual posting of the story but maybe he will touch on that later in the story towards the end.

Terry is probably lucky that Nan Smith is not reading the boards much any longer or she would probably be going off on him like a 12 gauge shotgun about now due to her actual detesting deathfics. Not avoiding, actual detesting.

That said, I suspect that Lois is really dead due to the chapter's coverage of all of the possible 'fixes' that Bernie and Burt had evaluated earlier and none worked. I mean Herb could swoop in with the time machine and fix everything but that does not tend to be Terry's way.

I did not like the fact that Lois died in this part but I suspect we will see where Terry is heading and why he did it in future parts. As you said Terry is an excellent story teller. While I don't always (actually mostly) don't like the stories he tells but he is an excellent spinner of tales so I have confidence in that ability. He also claims it will get better later, his statement at the opening of this FDK "We're in the valley now. Just remember that no valley is forever".

I guess I agree with you about the warning for the archive, however the story is not complete and I am willing to wait to see where he goes to see if the warning was appropriate. He hinted a couple of times that the reason he considered it a soft WHAM was because it was telegraphed for a pretty good period of time both in the story and in the chapters. While I can't say I agree with his assessment of what soft vs hard WHAMs are, it is what it is. I expect the remainder of the story to be focused on the lasting impact of Lois' life on her family and friends. Maybe even Clark finding someone else as that desire was pushed very hard by Lois on her deathbed. If you want to read something along those lines that but much more upbeat and more detailed on that subject see Pam Jernigan's The Last Goodbye.

We will see...

Mike

Last edited by Mike M; 01/14/15 10:25 PM. Reason: add Nan comment

Jeremy Bentham

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Well, I don't know about everyone else, but I had tears down my face reading Lois's goodbye to her family. I'm certainly not a big fan of Darla's either after her trying to stop Lois's kids from coming to the hospital or her treatment of Jimmy. I'm glad he stood up to her and for the kids.

I was hoping for a little more time with Lois, since there are still 4 more parts left. I'm glad Lois mentioned Ellen Lucille to Marta. (Having just watched UW recently, though, I doubt Lois would ever name her child 'Lucille'. I'm sure that you meant for her to be named after Lucy but 'no', I can't see it. As Ultra Lucille took away Ultra Woman's powers, so did baby Ellen Lucille to Lois. A cruel comparison, I know.) I wish Lois had taken a moment to mention their new daughter to Clark. They just had a child together and Lois and Clark didn't even mention her. Lois never told Clark to tell her daughter that she loves her. That's what breaks my heart. Being a mother, I believe Lois would mention it, even knowing that Clark would tell little 'El that.

I sure hope none in the family ever blame Ellen Lucille for the cause of Lois's death because that rests in Nigel. Kids can be cruel, especially when dealing with something as traumatic as a both a death of loved one and birth of a new baby all at once. Hugs to Clark, Marta, Jon, and the new baby. They'll need it to get through the next 4 parts. I know I will. /wipes tears from my face/

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I had tears on my eyes, too. mecry I don't like deathfics and avoid stories if I know that a major character is going to die. I'm reading this one because it was not classified as a deathfic, but at the moment I don't know what to think. huh I'm holding on to hope that the reminder "We're in the valley now" means that things will get better. But if Lois is going to be really dead, I don't think I'll read the remaining parts. sad I don't like stories where Clark finds somebody else. I am a Lois and Clark hardcore fan and don't bear to read "somebody else" and Clark or "somebody else" and Lois. frown Let's wait and see.

Andreia

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

~ Superman: Man of Tomorrow #15
Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
Time for me to wade in here.

Clark smiled nervously. “She’s already in the delivery room. Dr. Marshall is with her.”

Seriously doubt if he could smile for anyone but Lois at this point.

Darla Olsen was getting frustrated. “No, guys, we’re not going to the hospital! I promise your mom will be fine.”

Who is this chick and when did Jimmy become a wimp? frown Glad to see he stood up to her. It would have been horrible if Lois had not had a chance to say good-bye to her children.

“Baby? No, no, the baby’s fine. Evelyn says their new daughter is perfect, all her vitals just like they should be. Lois wants to name her Ellen Lucille, assuming Clark agrees.”

I don't.

“Okay. Kids, your mother knows everything. She knows just as much as you and your father do. She’s going to be a little groggy because of the painkillers we’ve given her, but she still wants to see all of you. And if her sister or mother or in-laws show up in time, she wants to see them too. But mainly – mainly she wants to say goodbye to you because out of all the people she loves, you three are the most special to her.” The doctor knelt down in front of the kids and wiped her eyes, then said, “I want you to remember that for the rest of your lives. The three of you are the most special people in the world to her, along with your new little sister Ellen Lucille. Will you do that for me? Will you remember that?”

If I am ever in a life and death situation having a doctor like her would make all the difference in the world. Compassionate, empathic and above all respectful. Thank you for creating this character.

“But I’m not a woman yet, Mom! How can I tell someone something I don’t know?”

“Baby girl, by the time she needs to know those things, you’ll know them as well as anyone could. You’ve got plenty of time.”

No one could have said this better.

He was still holding her thirty-two minutes later when the nurse came in and touched his shoulder. He looked at his wife’s face, her cheeks damp with his tears, then at the flat display on the cardiac monitor.

Lois Lane-Kent was gone.

This was not a gentle WHAM.

Not a fan of deathfics, but this was bravely written. Don't know if I can continue to read, we shall see.

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
Top Banana
Top Banana
I guess I'm in the minority. I don't mind reading a well-written deathfic (note that I said well-written; I've read some deathfics that made me cringe). I've written a few deathfics myself, in various fandoms, and try to treat the matter with respect.

This one is well-written, and I intend to finish reading it.

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Top Banana
Top Banana
Annie,

After reading the first parts of Panem I understand your position on death scenes...

I believe the issue here is not whether Terry had the right to write a deathfic or whether he did a good job of it but the fact that he did not give notice to it in the beginning of the prologue. Everyone has what they can handle/tolerate and what they cannot. It only seems to be polite to let readers know before hand that it is going to be a type of story they do not want to read. While I do not care for deathfics when the main character has not really begun to live life, I can handle deathfics if the character has had a reasonably long and happy life. But some do not want to read even those types of stories. I realize the first type of death happens all the time in RL but I don't care much for it there either. I have no choice when it happens in RL but I have a choice here.

Now all that said we still have 5 parts to go so Terry could resurrect Lois but I first am not sure this will happen and two if we think Terry screwed up in the lack of a deathfic warning I can't wait to see the reaction to bringing Lois back to life after that gut wrenching goodbye deathbed scene with the kids...

Terry probably believes he gave plenty of warning of what was likely to happen with the previous parts but a number of readers do not want to even begin a story that they know will end badly for one of the major characters.

As I said though we still have a number of chapters to go to see where he is heading with all of this.

Mike

Last edited by Mike M; 01/16/15 10:57 AM.

Jeremy Bentham

T
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
T
Let me remind everyone that the WHAM warning is optional for the author. I said that the story would include a "soft WHAM" which was set up throughout the story (I don't think there's such a thing as a "gentle WHAM"). I am not going to tell the readers the plot of any story. That's not happening.

If any of you think I "screwed up" by not hanging up a banner surrounded by neon lights, that is your privilege. I disagree. If that means I'm not getting a Kerth nom for this tale, that's fine. This is the story that wanted to be told.

In the interest of full disclosure - as late as some might think it is - there is no Lois resurrection coming. I will, however, promise that her influence does not fade. She will be heard from again and again.

I'll have the next chapter up up by tomorrow evening.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard