The Ides of Metropolis - Matchmaker Style

Rated PG-13

* * denotes emphasis
< > denotes thoughts
As always comments are welcome. (ken.janney@kjanney.com)

Previously:

Both Lois and Clark could see the metaphorical wheels turning in Luthor's mind until Lois spoke up.

"Thanks for your help." Lois and Clark started for the door, but Lois stopped and turned back. She had decided to try for a reaction, "Lex, have you ever heard of a software program called 'The Ides of Metropolis?' Something Harrison was working on."

Lex might have hesitated a second, but Lois couldn't be sure as he answered, "Ides of Metropolis? No, I haven't." He smiled and finished, "Sorry I couldn't have been of greater assistance."

As soon as Lois and Clark had left, Lex turned to Nigel and asked, "Are our technicians at LexComp still having those same problems ... the computers running slow?"

"I believe so, Sir."

Luthor thought for a second and then said, "Hmmmm. You'd better get me LexComp internal security." As Nigel turned away to comply, Lex stopped him and asked, "Nigel, do you think it would be possible to have Kent shot and blame it on Laderman?"

"Highly unlikely, Sir."

"Well, it was a thought. Lacking enough evidence of Lois's straying so that Kent will divorce her, I need to eliminate Kent and a direct confrontation is out of the question."

Nigel thoughtfully rubbed his jaw as he said, "Yes, Sir. Direct confrontation would be ill advised."

Luthor rubbed his jaw, the same way as Nigel, as he said, "I too have felt the consequences of direct confrontation of the mild mannered Mr. Kent. You are right. All those years, growing up on a farm has given him more strength than is apparent under those loose suits. Let's pursue the ‘mugging'."

When they returned to the Planet they went through the scant information contained in Harrison's personnel jacket from LexComp.

Lois voiced her frustration, "Nothing! There's nothing here. It lists his credentials, but there's nothing about his personality at all. No complaints from co-workers. That was all we heard about at HarriTech."

Just then, Jimmy came in. He was grinning like the Cheshire cat and waving a videocassette in the air. He shouted, "Wait till you guys see this!" He led the way to the conference room while Lois and Clark followed. Once they were inside, Jimmy closed the blinds and popped the cassette into the player.

On the screen, Lena Harrison, wearing a scarf and sun glasses, was seen crossing the lobby of a hotel. Suddenly the scene shifted to a shapely pair of legs revealed by a mini-skirt traveling in the opposite direction. After a couple of seconds of tracking the legs the scene shifted back to Lena Harrison and picked up the trail once again.

Lois asked, "How'd you get this? And what about Reed? Weren't her men tailing Lena as well?"

Jimmy nodded and smirked, "Two guys in a car in front of the hotel. Some stakeout."

As they watched the screen, Lena approached an elevator. Suddenly, almost blocking the view of Lena, a man in a trench coat and hat moved up behind and then next to her. Just before the elevator doors opened the man leaned down and they exchanged an intimate kiss.

Lois was jubilant as she chortled, "So much for the grieving widow!"

Jimmy hit rewind and when it finished ejected the tape and handed it to Lois. As he did he asked, "What now?"

Lois replied, "For the time being, go back there and see if you can trail one or the other of them when they leave the hotel. Don't waste too much time though. It is late."

"You got it."

And now:

Chapter 7

When Lois and Clark arrived at home they found Jonathan pacing the floor like a caged lion, muttering to himself.

"Hi, Dad. How'd it go today?"

"You know, Clark, I've come to a conclusion. Maybe I need to shed some weight. Become more fit. If I could get slim and trim …"

"Dad, you don't have a lot of time between now and when Mom gets here."

"I know, but I should get started. You know, show her that I'm serious about my health and fitness."

"Well, you could go with us tonight. The other side of the dojo is a gym. We could spend some time there.

"Dojo?"

"That's where Lois and I study karate."

Lois chimed in, "He's a natural. He'll be a black belt before you know it. Come with us. You can watch our class and then Clark can take you into the gym."

A few hours later, after the karate class, Jonathan was dressed is a set of sweats and had a towel draped around his neck while Clark, dressed in cut-off sweat pants and a muscle shirt, showed him how to use the weight equipment. In the background, over concealed speakers up-tempo music played. In one corner an aerobics class danced to it. Around the room were miscellaneous stair-steppers and treadmills, most of which were occupied.

While Jonathan and Clark were in the gym, Lois had gone out to grab some food for Eugene.

Clark led Jonathan to an unoccupied weight machine. Before Jonathan laid down on the bench, Clark asked, "Dad, are you sure you want to do this?"

Jonathan nodded his head and said, "I've got to get back in shape. Get back to the man your mother married."

Clark said, in a sympathetic tone, "Dad, I think getting in shape is a good idea, but you're doing it for the wrong reasons. Now, if you want to feel better, that's one thing, but Mom loves you just the way you are."

A woman that Clark recognized as one of the female trainers approached. Jonathan couldn't help, but stare. She was dressed all in spandex. A spandex sports bra, spandex micro shorts with a G-string over and her assets were on display for all to see just how fit she was. She was a walking advertisement for the gym.

She walked up to Jonathan and asked, "First time?"

Clark could hear Jonathan's heart rate kick up and thought it best to interrupt, "Thanks anyway, but I pretty much know my way around the gym."

She gave Clark and appreciative look, up and down and said, "Yes, I can tell."

Jonathan gave Clark a look and said, "I could use a few … pointers."

She gave Jonathan a knowing look and turned away, "He says he can handle it, and I believe him."

Jonathan's eyes followed her as she swayed away.

Taking Jonathan by the arm, Clark led him over to a military style bench press machine. As they approached it, Clark said, "Okay. Just a few light reps, then we'll hit the showers." Clark turned him around so that he was facing away from the weight stack and he was about to lay down on the bench when a very large, thick hand clamped on his shoulder. Accompanying that hand was a deep voice, "That's my machine."

Clark turned to confront the man. When he did he saw an over-muscled individual with an ego to match his biceps, an IQ to match his shoe size and the arrogance of Lex Luthor.

Clark stopped him and said, "I didn't see anyone using it."

The self-importance of the individual knew no bounds, "Everyone knows I use this machine at this time every day, so buzz off four-eyes and take grampa with you."

Jonathan was ready to capitulate and as he was standing said, "Come on, son."

Hearing the confrontation, the female trainer had returned to watch and become a peacemaker if needed. She stood by and observed.

Clark crossed his arms across his chest. He was determined to take this arrogant snob down a peg. "No, Dad, we'll wait."

As the bodybuilder was laying on the bench he flexed his muscles and placing his hands on the bar said, "Might be a while. Once I start pumping, it's hard for me to stop."

Clark smiled and asked, "Really?"

He didn't see it, but Clark had placed one finger on the weight stack.

The bodybuilder gave a mighty heave and pushed up, but nothing moved. He had a startled expression. He jumped up and checked the weight setting. Everything looked right so he resumed his position and heaved against the bar again. Still nothing. The veins were standing out on his temples, a sheen of sweat covered his face and arms, his muscles bulged, his mouth was fixed in a grimace as he strained to push the bar up, all to no avail.

In frustration he dropped his arms and sprung out from under the bar a look of anger on his face as he panted from the exertion and stared at the rebellious machine. He voiced his frustration to the trainer, "Stinking machine is broken!"

Clark questioned, "Really?" He turned to Jonathan and said, "Go ahead, Dad. Show him how it's done."

By this time, the grunts and groans of the bodybuilder as he had struggled with the machine and his exclamation as to the machine's faults had attracted a small crowd.

Realizing that Clark was up to something, Jonathan played along. Stepping over to the machine, Jonathan lay down on the bench.

Clark coached Jonathan, "That's right. Put your hands on the grips. Take a breath in, and, as you exhale, push up."

The bodybuilder was an interested observer and snorted in derision as Jonathan lay on the bench. His snort of derision turned to an exclamation of disbelief when with obviously little effort; Jonathan lifted the bar with apparent ease. He performed several repetitions before Clark said, "Don't you think that's enough, Dad? You don't want to overdo." Turning to the bodybuilder, Clark said, "Once he starts pumping, it's hard for him to stop." In response Jonathan slid out from under the bar. Everyone had been focused on Jonathan so no one had seen Clark surreptitiously turn the pulley that lifted the weights.

Jonathan stood and stretched and Clark started to lead him away.

Before they got two paces the beautiful female trainer approached and said, "Oh, Jonathan …"

Jonathan and Clark both stopped and looked at her as she continued, "Would you like to … spot me?"

Jonathan looked at Clark, grinned, sucked in his stomach and strode off after the trainer as Clark looked on in amazement and consternation.

While Jonathan and Clark were spending some time at the gym, Lois had gone to a fast food franchise and picked up a couple of burgers some fries and a couple of drinks to take to Eugene.

When she got there she found Eugene watching LNN on the TV. His escape and continued fugitive status were the main topics being discussed.

When Lois entered Eugene was instantly on his feet and Lois handed him the food which he immediately set about devouring. "Thanks, Lois. I was starving." Eugene saw that Lois had a big bag over her shoulder. He asked, "Is that by any chance a laptop?"

Lois was startled by the question, but answered, "Yes, actually it's my backup. I thought you might need something to occupy your time."

"Thanks! That will sure come in handy. I had my class working on a project. Now I can check on their progress."

"Is that really a wise thing to do? Can't they trace back on the signal and find you?"

"Nah, I can bounce off a couple of servers around the world to mask my location."

"Look, Clark and I will be here sometime later to give you an update."

Eugene was busy setting up the laptop and eating as she exited to go pick up Jonathan and Clark from the gym.

After dropping Jonathan off at the apartment, Lois and Clark went to Lois's old apartment to see Eugene. When they entered, Eugene was totally absorbed in what he was doing on Lois's laptop.

Lois said, "Eugene, we're here."

Eugene straightened up from the hunched position he had been in and turning to Lois said, "I've straightened out your files, Lois. Gave you a simpler directory."

Startled, Lois blurted out, "Eugene! You … those were personal files. I had a password!"

Eugene smirked and replied, "Yeah, I know, ‘Superman'. Wasn't too tough to figure out. Hasn't anyone talked to you about computer security? The first thing a Hacker or Cracker tries are personal names, addresses, birthdates, pet's names and such. You really need to work on that."

Lois gave Clark an embarrassed look to which he smiled.

In an attempt to change the subject, Lois said, "Eugene, let's go over what happened the day Harrison died."

Eugene nodded and said, "Well, like I said, I found this new program he was working on. It wasn't in the regular files, but I figured out his security bypass pretty quickly ..."

Lois interrupted, "I mean about the fight …"

"That's what I was getting to. Henry asked me how much of the program I'd seen. Suddenly he was screaming at me, saying that I had stolen his wife and now the 'Ides Of Metropolis.'" Eugene paused for a breath and then continued, "I started yelling back at him. I said I'd kill him if he hurt Lena again."

Clark offered, "So, Lena came to your apartment …"

Eugene nodded his agreement as he continued, "I told her about the fight and she said she was going to the office, to have it out with him. When she didn't come back, I got worried, went to the office."

Lois remembered having been told something and offered, "You smelled something burning, went into the utility room. That's when you found him ..."

Suddenly there was a knock on the door. Clark looked around and pulled his glasses down his nose so that he could x-ray the door. Having done that he quietly said, "It's Reed."

Eugene asked, "How do you know?"

Lois offered, "It was a police ... kind of ... knock." Lois leapt into action, "Quick, into the bedroom."

As soon as Clark and Eugene had disappeared down the hallway, Lois answered the door. When she opened it she saw not only Detective Reed, but two other plainclothes cops.

Without being invited, Detective Reed entered the apartment followed by the other two. When she was inside, she walked past Lois and looked around. Speaking to Lois, without even turning to look at her, Detective Reed held up a folded document and said, "I have a warrant to search the premises."

Lois was incredulous, "My apartment? Are you crazy?"

"I don't think so, Ms. Lane. According to my information, you don't actually live here any longer."

"Well, yeah, but the apartment is still in my name. My sister is coming back from California. She's going to be living here."

"So, that explains why you've been visiting it so often?"

Lois sputtered out, "You've been tailing me?!?!?"

"Well, let's just say that I wondered about just how involved in Eugene Laderman's disappearance you were. Call me wild, call me crazy, but I have a hunch that you're hiding something ... or someone." She nodded to the two plainclothes cops and said, "Check." While they started going through the apartment, Reed stood there, staring at Lois, observing her reaction. Noting the fact that Lois was somewhat apprehensive, Reed said, with conviction, "Why don't you just have a seat on the couch. This won't hurt much, and it'll be over real soon."

Lois was worried, but tried not to look it as she sat on the couch. She hoped that Clark would be able to do something.

After what seemed an interminable time to Lois, but which was actually less than a minute the two plainclothes cops returned to the living room and reported, "No one there." They checked behind the drapes and out the window in case he was on the fire escape. The second cop said, "Nope. Nothing."

After receiving the report, Reed was somewhat disappointed. She had really expected to find Lois harboring the fugitive. She said, "Sorry to have bothered you, Ms. Lane. It appears I was mistaken ... for the time being."

The reason that the plainclothes cops hadn't found Eugene was actually fairly simple to explain, Clark had taken Eugene out through a bedroom window. This window did not have a fire escape attached so when the cop looked out, not seeing a fire escape he didn't look any farther. Clark had taken Eugene to the side and had him pressed up against the side of the building, the tips of his toes on a small ledge. With their dark clothes it would be nearly impossible to see them from the street. That was especially important since the ledge stopped short of where Clark hung motionless, in mid-air.

In reply to Reed, Lois said, "I hope you never find him. Eugene didn't kill Harrison."

Reed was skeptical, "Do tell?"

Lois spoke with conviction, "Lena Harrison killed her husband."

Reed was quick with the repost, "Interesting theory. Unfortunately at precisely the time of Harrison's death, Lena was at a Neighborhood Watch meeting. She was seen by at least twenty people who positively identified her."

All of the wind left Lois's sails. This didn't square with what Eugene had told them. She sputtered out, "But why would a man set fire to the room the body was in to destroy the evidence, wait there for the police, then sign a confession? And why didn't he take the stand in his own defense when his attorney begged him to?"

Reed maintained a cool exterior, but Lois could see that her argument had struck home. There was a flicker of something in Reed's eyes that convinced Lois that her argument had struck a nerve.

Reed resumed her professional demeanor and said, "Good night, Ms. Lane. Remember to lock your doors and windows. We've got an escaped killer on the loose."

Lois closed the door behind the representatives of the MPD. As she started throwing the locks Clark and Eugene came in from the bedroom. Eugene headed for the kitchen to get a drink of water to soothe his nerves as Clark approached Lois.

"Talk about being out on a ledge." He noted the look on Lois's face. It was not a happy look. "You okay? What'd Reed have to say?"

As Eugene came into the living room Lois pinned him with her eyes and said, "Oh. Not much. Just that Lena Harrison has an iron-clad alibi for the night of her husband's death."

Clark had been starting to believe Eugene, but this revelation threw him back on the side of doubt. He joined Lois in staring at Eugene.

comments go here

TBC

Last edited by KenJ; 01/13/15 12:54 PM.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj