Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
groobie Offline OP
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Hi FoLCs!

This is Kerth Quiz #1 - Best Super Short (1-10k).

Instructions are blatantly copied/linked from last year’s Kerth Quizzes (or even further back than that ).

SPIFFY DISCLAIMER THINGY! All the stories featured in this quiz qualify for the Best Super Short Story Category, but this quiz is not a stamp of recommendation for nomination. There are other stories which qualify for this category, but this quiz only covers 10 randomly chosen ones.

Recommendations for other eligible stories are *very* welcome and encouraged!

QUIZ RULES: Two points for getting the story and author from the quote; one point for getting it from the excerpt. Specify which is which, or you'll automatically get one point instead of two. (Also, don't forget to mention which number you're answering.) Open hard drive and archive, *don't* forget to snip the excerpts in your replies, and don't forget the spoiler space when you post in the replies thread. Plus, shiny gold stars for those who recognize their own stories (which, sadly, is harder than it looks, but mostly in the Epic and Long Story Categories though).

The DEADLINE for entries for this quiz is Wednesday, January 14th 2015, by 11:59 p.m (Pacific Time Zone).

More elaborate quiz instructions can be found here .

Please post your answers HERE .

Good luck!
Susan

B

E

S

T

S

H

O

R

T

S

T

O

R

I

E

S

QUOTE #1:
“I don’t have a tights fetish.”

QUOTE #2:
“My screwdriver is not defective!” the Doctor said vehemently.

QUOTE #3:
“Clark warned me not to leave you unsupervised in my kitchen.”

QUOTE #4:
“Well,” she said, “I talked to Siri!”

QUOTE #5:
“Gimme a sec to look at the headlines…Definitely The Star.”

QUOTE #6:
Under different circumstances, I might even appreciate the irony that while it is Superman’s fault that I’m stuck in here, neither he nor I are the ones Lois has chosen to marry.

QUOTE #7:
“She has nowhere else to go and we can’t throw her out in the snow. Besides she knows your secret.”

QUOTE #8:
Adversaries cemented.

QUOTE #9:
“It’s time to wake him and confront him.”

QUOTE #10:
“Who’s the king of air hockey? C-L-A-R-K! K-E-N-T!”

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

P

A

C

E

EXCERPT #1:
I try not to roll my eyes. “It doesn’t matter. I know you.” I stress that ‘you’ to try to get the point across. Superman, over the past 6 months he’s been here, has let me in and shown me the real hero. “And I don’t mean you the celebrity, or you the ‘super hero’.” Ok, try one final card. “If you had no powers, if you were just an ordinary man leading an ordinary life, I’d love you just the same.” Ok, maybe that wasn’t the complete truth. Any man would have to be extraordinary to keep up with Lois Lane. “Can’t you believe that?” Now all the cards were on the table. His turn to tell me the truth, and declare his love for me. Come on, Fly Boy.

EXCERPT #2:
The Doctor turned to Clark and waved his device at him. “Oh, Amelia here is from England, and I’m from here and there. Mostly a traveler these days.” He pressed a button on the device, and the top of it opened. He held it sideways, looked at it for a moment, and then stared at Clark. He repeated the motion with the device with a puzzled look on his face. “Where am I from, you ask? Where are you from is the more interesting question, I’d say.”

EXCERPT #3:
“It’s smoky and black and totally destroyed…” She sniffled, leaving a line of black soot across her face as she wiped away a tear. “I got distracted for a minute. Only a minute, I swear. Jimmy called with some research on one of my ongoing series. You’d find this very interesting, it’s about the percentage of men and women who fall back into traditional gender roles when they get married, no matter how progressive and…”

EXCERPT #4:
Lois rarely slowed down enough to notice the passage of time. She lived her life on overdrive, always chasing the next story. Each new innovation was just another tool to add to her impressive reporting repertoire. It wasn’t often that a story made her feel old. But this one did.

EXCERPT #5:
“Haven’t you noticed? Lately, it seems, The Planet just runs variations on the same headline two, maybe three, times a week: Superman Saves Lois Lane. That might have been news the first hundred times. Now it’s just boring.”

EXCERPT #6:
Oh, I knew that we weren’t strictly in the same league, but I didn’t let it matter. She challenged me in ways that were completely unique to her, a presence that not even Superman was able to escape. In retrospect, vying for her attention with a two-dimensional hero might not have been the wisest of choices, but a man is nothing if not his pride.

EXCERPT #7:
The vase of flowers Clark had bought for Lois simply because he loved her was now shattered on the floor. Shards of glass, water and colorful wildflowers littered the area in front of the coffee table. The broken vase wasn’t much of a problem. That could easily be cleaned up, but it indicated a much bigger issue. Someone had entered their home while they were out.

EXCERPT #8:
Clark turned the Macedonian’s sword vertically with the guard at face level. He lowered it in a fencing salute, then passed the sword to Lex. Their fingers brushed slightly as they exchanged the weapon: a valid touch, but neither was sure who scored the point. Lex smiled broadly and returned the salute. Challenge accepted.

EXCERPT #9:
“Does he know how much he means to me? How much I depend on him … rely on him? Does he know that he’s the reason I arrive at work early and then look up every time the elevator dings? Does he know that I purposefully let tonight’s evening working session linger a bit too long? Does he know that I only pretended to be asleep on the couch?”

EXCERPT #10:

Once inside the newsroom, Lois eyed a crowd of her coworkers that were gathered around drinking coffee, Clark, Cat, and Jimmy among them. She took a deep breath and tried to work up the nerve to get started with her cheer. Finally, just as Clark began to approach her, she jumped on top of his desk and threw off her trench coat, revealing a Metropolis Tigers cheerleader uniform.

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Er - these are "Super Short Stories" and folcs need more spoiler space before posting. I tried not to look, really.

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard