Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#259858 12/09/14 03:04 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I just read about this on the Variety website. Apparently, the Syfy (pronounced SciFi) channel is going to bring about a Gotham-esque pre-Kal-El, pre-Jor-El type show about Krypton. What scares me most is that this is the network that greenlit Sharknado. shock

Thoughts?

I hope this isn't DC's Nightfall.

/Also, if you've never seen Sharknado (i.e. Shark+Tornado) and want to see the world's worst film, which had me laughing throughout, because its editing, its script, its over the top acting, its badly done blue-screen, its plot is all the worst I've ever seen. And I've seen *a lot*. The SyFy channel takes B movies to the D level./

Last edited by VirginiaR; 12/09/14 03:06 AM. Reason: /grumble spelling/

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Kerth
Kerth
Yeeeeaaaaahhhhhhh....color me skeptical. (Though I LOVE Gotham!)

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
To be honest, I've never been particularly interested in Krypton. For me, its purpose is to serve as a launching point for Kal-El. Period. Anything else is a diversion from the story I am interested in. So when I had first heard of the proposed new show, I hadn't been at all excited by the prospect. Now that Virginia's given her assessment of the SyFy channel, I am even less interested.

I don't get any TV channels coming into my home, but I do look up some shows for online streaming. Unless this show, once aired, is well received here, I don't think I'll even bother checking out the pilot online.

But for all of that, I hope that the show proves to be excellent and popular. Maybe it will be the gateway for some people to discover the greater Superman-verse, as L&C was for me. And that would be a good thing!

Joy,
Lynn

Top Banana
Top Banana
I completely agree. I'm not interested in Krypton, except as the starting point for Superman.

Lots of people talked about wanting to see a Jor-El action movie after Man of Steel - but I never understood that. Jor-El is not an action hero - he is a caring, sacrificial, scientist father ... and that's what makes him special. But in the end, his son is even more special.

I doubt I'll be watching this ... but you never know. *shrugs*

KatherineKent/Victoria
Lois: "You put up with me for the same reason I put up with you. It's because I'm completely in love with you."
Clark: "And I love you ... Did we just make up?"
Lois: "I think so."
C
Top Banana
Top Banana
C
Originally Posted by Lynn S. M.
Now that Virginia's given her assessment of the SyFy channel, I am even less interested.

I don't get any TV channels coming into my home, but I do look up some shows for online streaming. Unless this show, once aired, is well received here, I don't think I'll even bother checking out the pilot online.

But for all of that, I hope that the show proves to be excellent and popular. Maybe it will be the gateway for some people to discover the greater Superman-verse, as L&C was for me. And that would be a good thing!

Joy,
Lynn

My experience with such has been Stargate (from season 6-10 plus two full movies of good quality), Stargate Atlantis, Eureka (a dramedy about a DoD funded town and the sheriff that stops most of the dangers even with an avaerge intelligence in a town chock full of PhDs), and my favorite warehouse 13 (primarily about a very special archive of fantastical artifacts), I'd be a LITTle more apt to give it a chance but their track record is that they do a LOT of reality TV these days and very little actual scripted shows (and those minimovies have ALWAYS been laughable. With that said, it's unlikely O'll get to see it live (we. It our cord).

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by Christina
With that said, it's unlikely O'll get to see it live (we. It our cord).
Looks like autocorrect claimed another victim. smile We cut our cable cord (my assumption of what you meant) several years ago, and haven't looked back. Very happy raising kids who HATE commercials.

I have to admit, I'd never watched any of SyFy's tv shows. I've only tried to watch some of their made-for-SyFy movies (the worst being Sharknado, which actually was more watchable than some of the others only due to the humor aspect of it being so awful).

I agree with what others have said. Krypton may have given Kal-El his powers on Earth, but it was EARTH and the Kents who made Kal-El Superman (and, even better, Clark Kent). So, I don't see the appeal of a show based on a Red Sun planet where its inhabitants don't have any powers. huh It could be any planet with advanced humanesque beings living on it, so why make it Krypton? Plus, the blurb I read said that the main characters wouldn't be Jor-El and Lara, but Jor-El's father. huh confused So, it's not like Gotham in the respect we're not seeing a prequel to Superman, but more like a pre-prequel to Superman. Unless Jor-El's father was Luthor bad and ruined Krypton and Jor-El grows up to fight against his evil dad and tries to convince everyone that Krypton isn't going to survive due to, I don't know, Jor-el's father fracking for Kryptonite. Then, maybe, it might be worthwhile to tie it to Krypton. That might be an interesting storyline. Alas, I just came up with that plot. Who knows what the plot of this show will be. We'll have to see.

Last edited by VirginiaR; 12/09/14 01:20 PM. Reason: clarification

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Kerth
Kerth
I liked Eureka and Warehouse 13, but it's been my impression that a lot of their recent output has been sub-par. A Krypton show could be interesting if done right, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Incidentally, re Sharknado - there's a VERY silly fanvid. I hadn't realised it was quite that insane a film:

Also a couple of fun Avengers crossover fanfics:

Avengers Vs. Sharknado (some swearing from the outset)
http://archiveofourown.org/works/880301

Storm vs. the Sharknado (Avengers / Xmen / Sharknado)
http://archiveofourown.org/works/2095791

and a fun Burn Notice crossover:

Michael Westen's Guide to Fighting Off a Sharknado
http://archiveofourown.org/works/939576

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
It is an interesting concept, but the network's output lately is horrific.

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.

Moderated by  bakasi, PuffyTiger 

Link Copied to Clipboard