Band of Blue TOC

Chapter 12

As it went dark that night Clark was hovering high in the air above Metropolis. So far he’d pretty much waited for disaster to appear but it was time to be pro-active. He was choosing to be on duty. Listening intently to the multitude of sounds coming from the city below he let his focus cut out the general traffic sounds, the casual conversations. Hearing a gunshot he sped immediately to the source; a back alley mugging. Clark tied up the mugger, told a passerby to call the police and sped to the hospital with the victim.

He sighed. There were too many. How many muggings had he been involved in and he’d only been in Metropolis for one week. Green Arrow had made a difference to the crime rates but he did it in shadow and secrecy. The city needed a hero for the people to look up to and find hope and security ... and the criminals needed to feel afraid. Clark was determined to be that hero. He had spent so many years championing truth and justice through words in a small town and now he’d been granted a fantastic gift meaning he could physically make a difference and on a much wider scale. He knew it was his destiny to lead by example. Such fantastic powers were a great opportunity but also a great responsibility.

Clark felt a real sense of satisfaction as he swiftly dealt with a variety of accidents, incidents and criminal activity throughout the night. As he flew past a tall clock tower building he caught a glimpse of something dark swinging out. Focussing closer he realised it was Green Arrow. Mr Queen must be out on patrol too. Should I confront him? I can’t ignore what happened. Clark turned and hung in mid-air for a moment then sighed in resignation. No, I can’t ignore it. This has to be dealt with at some point so why not now.

“We need to talk,” he said in his Superman voice once he noticed Green Arrow safe on a rooftop rather than swinging around. The green clad billionaire swung round to find the voice.

“Yeah! I guess we do,” he replied in that distorted voice. There was an awkward silence while both men decided whether they had the guts to reveal themselves first.

“Sorry about the handshake.”
“Sorry about the GQ comment.”

They both spoke at once then there was silence again. Green Arrow lifted up a hand and pushed back his hood. Taking off the dark glasses he spoke, without distortion. “Well, I guess I don’t need these.”

Clark gave a lopsided smile and a small chuckle. “I guess not.”

“So ... Superman. How did you get to that bright patriotic outfit after wearing all black?”

“There’s a really complicated explanation involving my background and origin,” Clark paused, “or a really simple one where I realised that black wasn’t exactly inspiring and a hero should always be inspiring to the people.” Clark gave a wave of his arm towards Green Arrow. “Why green?”

The Archer smirked. “I guess I never grew out of my Robin Hood childhood fantasies.”

“So ... where do we go from here?” asked Clark.

“Well, I’m hoping we go forwards,” replied Green Arrow. Clark knew that he meant it in a positive, growth way. As if he wished to explore a friendship. “You must know that I’ll keep your secret. I completely understand the secret identity thing.”

Clark smiled. “You know you can trust me too.”

Green Arrow turned away and took a step. “There’s more of us,” he said.

Clark stepped forwards to come up behind. “More?” he frowned.

Arrow turned back. “I have a ... kind of ... a team. You’d be a real asset to us, especially on dangerous missions.”

Clark stepped back again. “A team? What ... who ...,” he stammered, unsure exactly what to ask.

“We only come together for particular missions, otherwise we work our own towns. I think you should join us.”

Clark felt the first flutters of nervousness since this whole life-change began. I’m too new at this. How will I measure up to a whole team of superheroes? “I’m not sure if I’m ready for that yet,” he replied cautiously.

“Oh, come on Cla ... Superman. You’ve got the bug guns. You’ll be great.” Clark dropped his head. “At least come and meet them. I’ll contact you next time they are all in town.”

Clark considered Green Arrow’s proposal. “Sure, I’ll meet them,” and smiled.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Lois dreamt she was flying. Superman had turned to her when she’d called out. He’d held out a hand. She’d taken it. Now they were soaring in the clouds. She had her arms round his neck and he was cradling her close to his chest; one arm round her back and the other under her knees. She looked up into his eyes. They were such a strong blue. He turned to look at her and smiled. She smiled back.

“I ... don’t know what to say,” she murmured with a nervous clip to her tone.

“You don’t need to say anything, Miss Lane,” came the reply.

She smiled shyly. “You can call me Lois.”

“Lois,” he repeated.

“Why did you ignore me?” she plucked up the courage to ask.

“I couldn’t let all those reporters see how much you mean to me,” came his reply. Lois’s heart skipped a beat. She focussed on Superman’s mouth and it started to descend. Her eyes fluttered closed as they touched. It was like sweet nectar. So soft, so gentle. Then the light pressure lifted and she lazily opened her eyes. Focussing on the face in front of her she stepped back in shock. She was in the bull pen and it was Clark. What had happened to Superman and why wasn’t she flying in his arms anymore?

“Lois?” came Clark’s voice.

She woke with a start, heart pounding, and sat bolt upright. My goodness, she thought. How strange. I guess all that comparing of the two of them earlier today set off that dream. But ... why would I dream that Superman would start the kiss, but Clark would end the kiss?

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Clark went home in the early hours of the morning. He didn’t need much sleep now. He didn’t even set his alarm knowing that his body would be rested and awake within an hour or two but at the moment he felt drained. As he climbed into bed and closed his eyes he immediately felt himself relax and soon drifted off.

He was flying. Someone was in his arms. He looked down. Lois. He smiled. She smiled back.

Everything shifted and he felt his feet on the ground. He looked down. She was still in his arms. He smiled. “Talk about sweeping a girl off her feet.” She nibbled on her lower lip.

Shift

Lois tripped in the bull pen. He sped to her side and caught her before she fell.

Shift

Clark felt his arms around Lois; protecting her. He felt a sting in his back.

Shift

Clark saw Lois in the path of a car. He raced to her. He took her and placed her out of harm’s way. He turned. A flash.

Shift

He was in the bull pen. Light was streaming through the stained glass window. He held Lois in his arms. He tightened the embrace. He lowered his mouth. It was soft; tender.

Clark woke. He thought over his dreams as he made breakfast. They felt like memories, ALL of them. And when he thought of Lois he felt an unbelievable tenderness in his heart. How had be got to this stage in just a week?

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Clark walked down the steps to the basement and stared at the empty desk opposite his. He was early, yes, but Lois was usually here before him.

“Smallville,” he heard and turned. Lois was exiting the lift. “Did you hear?” she said as she strode towards him. “Superman was seen all over Metropolis last night. He stopped robberies, he pulled people out of car pile ups, he even stopped a speeding bus from crashing.”

Clark smiled at her. She was so full of enthusiasm for Superman but it was a genuine respect he could hear in her voice. That’s when he knew he’d lost his heart. He gulped and turned away. He couldn’t look her in the eyes. “Oh, and apparently there was another bus incident yesterday afternoon that he dealt with.” He turned back to look at her. He remembered everything she was reciting. He recalled the relief he’d felt with each save, sorting out every single incident he had come across. Then he recalled the dreams once he was home. Lois was standing in front of him just as in the dream. He felt his head tip forwards a little then he pulled back.

“So, are you writing up the story?” he asked casually.

“Perry agreed I could have the story, yes.”

“Congratulations,” Clark replied then turned and wandered over to his desk.

Lois nibbled her lower lip. “But the story I really want is out of reach.” Clark heard the quiet comment and frowned to himself. “An interview,” she sighed. She stared at Clark as he wandered off. For a moment she’d felt like she was back in her dream. Had he been about to kiss her? Would it have been as soft and gentle as she imagined?

Lois sat at her desk and tried to concentrate on her messages.

“So, how many bus problems has Superman dealt with over the last few days then Lois?” Clark queried.

Lois looked up. “Huh!”

Clark stared at her intently. “Haven’t you noticed Lois? In just two days Superman has had to deal with three bus problems. Monday,” Clark ticked off on his fingers, “was the explosion outside the press conference. Yesterday afternoon there was a bus crash near the station. The driver said the brakes failed. Last night was a bus out of control; again with no brakes to stop.”

Lois’s reporter instincts kicked in. This was no coincidence. In fact, wasn’t the DA reviewing public services and funding at the moment. Maybe this was part of the scandal that DA was trying to stop her from uncovering. Maybe she should try to contact her informant again. But ... was it safe. He’d sold her out once before.

“Smallville,” she said. “You may be onto something and I may have an idea who to chase about this.”

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Please leave some comments. grovel

KatherineKent/Victoria
Lois: "You put up with me for the same reason I put up with you. It's because I'm completely in love with you."
Clark: "And I love you ... Did we just make up?"
Lois: "I think so."