Next Thread
Print Thread
#260459 01/04/15 03:54 AM
T
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
T
Comments may appear here if you are so inclined.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
C
Top Banana
Top Banana
C
Aw, but at the same time, we're seeing the beginning of the end if they can't both get a transplant to take and Their theories were wrong.

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)
Top Banana
Top Banana
Christina,

Given Terry's description of this story when he was searching for betas last July ( Terry's request for betas ), I am not expecting a miraculous happy ending. Now that does not mean the end is imminent and she could last a few more years but...

I am sticking with the story and I never figured I would based on the above beta request. It is giving Lois an opportunity to shine in a role so different from the norm for her character.

Mike

Last edited by Mike M; 01/04/15 03:03 PM.

Create all the happiness you are able to create.
Remove all the misery you are able to remove.

Jeremy Bentham

Kerth
Kerth
Another sweet look at their marriage. smile Very glad Clark wasn't made a drastic choice to have to leave her...whew! wink Hmmmm...I wonder what that connection her daughter seems to have with her is about and if it will factor into some sort of solution to the liver problem. Still faithfully holding onto hope that this will all turn out well! laugh

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
Top Banana
Top Banana
groobie,

I am not sure how much Clark leaving her would help. Jon is beginning to fly which means he has developed his own aura. If Burt's theory is true then she would have to distance herself not only from Clark but the kids as well and you know that is not going to happen. Since Terry is not world renowned for happy endings(not to mention my above post about his beta search), I suspect the die is cast and the only real question is timing. We can hope but I am not expecting it.

On the other hand, I am actually enjoying the story as much as one can with my view on the ending...

Mike

Jeremy Bentham

Kerth
Kerth
Nope, leaving wouldn't help. Maybe their theory is wrong anyway - if Lois has been away on book tours, she's not always near the auras...perhaps Clark and her kids have been doing more than just sustaining her. Remains to be seen...

Originally Posted by MikeM
Since Terry is not world renowned for happy endings(not to mention my above post about his beta search), I suspect the die is cast and the only real question is timing.

But Terry also said in the the feedback for the prologue:

There is angst, joy, pain, a soft WHAM

No major WHAM/Character Death warning. I remain optimistic. smile

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I fail to understand the dialysis. That is for failed kidney function. Lois' s problem is liver function.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Apparently, Lois has one more taken her own path in life. They tell her not to have more kids, so she does because she wants to. I'm glad she's finally listening to her body and her doctors. Marta reminds me a lot of Lois. I hope Lois regains her strength long enough to punch Sam across the jaw for telling her daughter she needed 100% on her tests. Good thing Lois set Marta straight that she'll love her and be proud of her for doing her best. Marta will always remember that. smile

I'm glad Sam and Jonathan are doing some non-educational trips with Jon and letting him just be a boy.

I don't know whether or not to agree with Mike's guess. Is Lois feeling weak because it's been 12-ish years since she was shot, being too active, or too far away from her family's auras. It's probably a combination of all of the above.

My guess on whether Lois will die by the end of this story is that none of us live forever. Due to Lois's declining health, she'll have a few (definition undefined) years with her family but will pass away before she would have had she not been shot. Such a death wouldn't be so WHAMmy (hence a light WHAM) if she slowly declines in health over the rest of the story, than had she never survived the original shot. I assume the WHAM definition has more to do with a harsh sudden surprise than a slow decline. Terry is more than welcome to refute (within his story) my definition. It's possible the shot itself was the light WHAM to which he referred. (Although, I won't be surprised if Terry declines to spoil the future parts of this intriguing story by letting us know.)

As an editor (online or regular), how is Clark able to make it out of the office to do his Superman duties? Does he rely more on Jimmy and/or other associate editors on staff than Perry did?

I'm curious why Jon is starting to float by age 10. Is it because he know he can, so he tries? Or is it something else? Clark didn't discover he could fly until he was 18, but maybe he had been floating before that (such as Clark does on Smallville) and would have learned earlier had he known he could.

Always great to see Lois and Clark happy together so far into their relationship. smile

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
C
Top Banana
Top Banana
C
Believe me, when I wrote that this signals the "beginning of the end" unless certain circumstances occur, I was writing from the experience of seeing my mother's decline from cancer over the course of first diagnosis when I was almost 15 until her death when I was nearly 20 (i.e. a 5 situation with two of them kinds of with a slow "beginning of the end"). I know it won't likely happen in a month or so, just that the body is beginning to fail in a way that won't be easily fixable.

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Terry:

The Pigeon Coos At Midnight

Reminds me of Jessica Fletcher's first novel on Murder She Wrote, The Corpse Dances at Midnight. Intentional?

Didn't get a manicure. Still wondering how all of this is going to end. help

Jon Floating at ten? Isn't that awful early?

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
Top Banana
Top Banana
All I can say is that I hope I am wrong...

I never like to see any of the main characters die in these stories unless they have reached an rather mature age and who knows Terry might have her living until she is in her 70's which would be very good for someone with the injury she has. It also might be that Burt is incorrect about the aura's impact on a transplant. I have been wondering how you deal with that professionally. I mean it seems unconscionable to deny Lois a transplant based on what is completely an unproven theory. On the other hand how do you maybe throw away a liver that could save someone else when you have great reservations about how it will be tolerated by the recipient?

I guess we see how Terry handles it in the next few chapters. I am a bit on edge but have not begun chewing my fingernails like Morgana...

Mike

Jeremy Bentham

T
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
T
Just dropping in with a note for Ken.

Liver dialysis is not as common as kidney dialysis, but the treatment does exist and is considered appropriate under some conditions. Here is a reference site for a hospital in San Diego which offers it.

You know, sometimes the feedback is as interesting as the story.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well, you know what they say - you learn something new every day! I have been involved in Emergency and sports medicine for well over 20 years and that was a new one for me. Thanks for the new information.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj
Top Banana
Top Banana
Ken,

It is relatively new. I had not heard of it either when Terry brought it up in the story so I did a bit of research and found this Liver Dialysis which is pretty easy to read.

Mike

Jeremy Bentham

T
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
T
Next part will be up very soon, but I thought I'd respond to the kind comments of the readers first.

Christina, thanks for for the "Aw." I'm glad these moments came across as sweet. I want you to hold on to the sweetness, okay? That "beginning of the end" thing may or may not be as accurate as you'd think.

Mike, I hope you stay with me to the end. I know I can count on you to root for Lois in any situation.

Groobie, I'm glad you liked the sweet look at the marriage. Every relationship has its good moments and tough ones, too. And Marta's "link" with Lois - whatever it is - will show up again very soon.

About the "soft WHAM" I mentioned at the start - I meant that it would not drop in out of the blue as a huge surprise. It's coming.

Virginia, I'm glad you liked the scene with Lois and Marta. When I heard (on the show) Lois describing her 98% score and her dad's reaction, I wanted to punch the man. No child is perfect in any area, and telling a child that she has to be perfect to receive Daddy's love is so very destructive. I firmly believe that part of Lois' drive to be the very best (and part of Lucy's apparent willingness to accept far less than the best) is due to Sam's attitude. That's one reason I added his conversation with Clark at the wedding. I'd like to think he'd learned something over the years.

As far as how Clark performs his Super-duties while being general editor, it's a question that is valid but is more germane to Clark's life than to the "moments" the two of them shared. I chose to gloss over such things to keep the focus on the relationship and to keep the word count down. When I sent out my beta request, I guessed that the story would total about 32K words. It's up over 75K now.

Sometimes Polly and Trope just won't shut up.

Why is Jon floating by age 10? I think it's partly because he knows he can and will, unlike his dad, who was quite surprised by the phenomenon. And it's partly because he was born under a yellow sun, not a red one, and has been acclimated to Earth since conception. Comic book physics, indeed.

LWhite, thanks for reading and commenting. Hope you continue to enjoy it.

One more note, Christina. I watched my father (from afar) slowly slide away from us for about four years before his death to a point just three months before he died when I'm not sure he knew my name. It was painful for all concerned, as any death from illness would be irrespective of the length of time involved.

It will get worse before it gets better. But it will get better, I promise.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard