Next Thread
Print Thread
#260281 12/30/14 07:57 AM
T
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
T
A little bit of everything here, I think, from highs to lows to long-drawn-out technical and medical explanations and what one of my betas called "comic-book physics." Enjoy.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Top Banana
Top Banana
Talk about your bi-polar chapters. This one is definitely split.

A bit of a continuity issue or two. In Part 6, Lois explains to Clark that according to Dr Richards her liver is irrevocably damaged and her only option is a transplant which she is probably not going to get due to her blood type/cell structure. In this part he claims the liver would heal itself if it were not for Clark's aura. He also acts like she could get a transplant in a very short period of time if Clark's aura was not around to interrupt the assimilation of the new liver by her body. These two parts don't seem to be totally compatible. I almost believe this part explanation more than the Part 6 as it is more believable. I almost posted on the Part 6 FDK about the liver regeneration but did not want to get into another discussion/argument like I did with Deadley Chakram in "Clark's Heart". Also not discussed is the issue with her son. Even if Lois was willing to give up Clark for the remainder of her life to extend it would she be willing to give up her son too once he hit the late teens and his own aura began to develop and mature.

Just curious but did Lois' liver suffer damage during the pregnancy? It was not mentioned so I was confused by Dr. Richards claiming a second pregnancy would put her liver in jeopardy. If the first one did not why would the second one? Just curious...

BTW, I have to remember "Comic Book Physics". DC pulled "plot bunny" out in our discussion of "Clark's Heart" but Comic Book Physics is much better...

Mike

Last edited by Mike M; 12/30/14 11:13 AM. Reason: Pregnancy liver issues

Create all the happiness you are able to create.
Remove all the misery you are able to remove.

Jeremy Bentham

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Highlight of the moment, it is, Terry. clap Well done. The excitement of finding the right house in the suburbs (I can't believe Lois allowed that), redecorating the house, to baby news! Time flies in the life of a heroic couple.

Loved this line:
“Simple. One will be your office. You choose the one you want. One will be mine. And we can put our ‘spare clothes’ in the other one.”

“Oooh, that’s a super idea. And a rare good use of air quotes.”
I just noticed that this scene only had dialogue as well (see note below). I noticed it below, but didn't notice it on the first read of this scene. I guess that shows your skill as a writer. wink Also, when he says "our 'spare clothes'" he really means HIS, doesn't he?

I love that the baby's birth scene was entirely dialogue, no tags, no action description. I didn't get lost once. Bravo!

I understood the two doctor's conversation. Mike, I believe that since Lois just gave birth, that's one of their "dragons". They don't know how much harm pregnancy did to Lois's liver yet. Between Clark's aura and Jon's, they won't know for a while. I agree. For Lois to need to be away from Clark, she'll also have to go away from Jon and there's no way in hell they'll convince her to do that (anytime soon). So sad that Clark's aura won't let Lois's liver heal properly. Too bad it can't do for her what it does for him (i.e. help him heal).

Is Lois still living the crazy mad-dog lifestyle? I thought she gave most of that up? Or at least, that's what I got out of Part 6. So, maybe we could split the difference and Lois has a good 20-30 years left? grovel If Bernie and the doctors were wrong about Lois being able to get pregnant, perhaps they're wrong about how long Lois's liver will last.

Very exciting part. I definitely got a "Steel Magnolias" vibe during that last scene though. Let's hope that Lois lasts longer than Julia Roberts did. (Psst. That's a compliment.)

Last edited by VirginiaR; 12/31/14 12:07 AM. Reason: Added note.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Kerth
Kerth
I love their married life together - some sweet moments before the scary behind-the-scenes discussion of her liver. An impossible choice if they have to make it - Clark was willing to leave earlier because he couldn't bear being near her without her love. Now that he knows what that love feels like (in all possible forms), how could he possibly leave? And potentially leave their son with her? Or take their son and leave Lois alone? I hope he doesn't have to make that choice. eek On pins and needles, waiting for the next part...

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Another hard right turn! shock

Bernie leaned forward. “This situation concerns not only our mutual patient but one of my few truly close friends. If you have any ongoing concerns about Lois’ health, I think you should share them with me.” Bernie’s voice, normally soft and bland, hardened. “Now.”

Everyone knows how much I like our resident scientist. This is a truly different take on him. He is walking the line between friend, doctor and researcher, not an easy path for anyone. Thank you for writing it with style.

Now I'm going to go get a manicure, this story has me biting my nails down to the nubs. dizzy

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
T
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
T
Howdy, y'all! Before the next chapter goes up, I'll respond to the gentle readers, with my sincere thanks.

Yes, Mike, it was a bit bi-polar. But sometimes that's how life is. As to your "continuity" comment, remember that Lois told Clark what she understood her doctors to say, and when Burton spoke with Bernie, it was more than a year later and she'd just had a baby. That's plenty of time to get more information and tighten down on their diagnosis. That's why they call it the "practice of medicine" and not just the profession of medicine. Doctors are always learning something new, and the human body still holds enough secrets for almost everybody to discover something.

Virginia, you were right about Lois' giving birth changing things. We'll see something of that in the next chapter. And did anyone notice that their new house is on Wisteria Lane? That's why Lois didn't want to appear to be a desperate housewife.

We'll also see about Lois' full-throttle-redline-the-tachometer lifestyle in the next chapter or two. (Hint: She still doesn't know how to ease off the go pedal.)

Scenes using only dialogue are hard to write because the writer can't set the mood with description. Fortunately, most of our readers are familiar enough with delivery rooms and childbirth to fill in the blanks.

My wife likes "Steel Magnolias" too. I've never seen the whole movie, just enough to know that Julia's character does not fare well.

Groobie, I can't see Clark leaving Metropolis and taking Jon with him unless Lois were to divorce him. At least, not in my fic! He promised to love, honor, and cherish her as long as they both lived, and Clark Kent is a man of his word. He loves her too much to leave.

Morgana, thanks for the smiles about Bernie. I like him too, and I wish he'd had more to do in the show. Of course, giving all the supporting characters the screen time I think they should have had would have made each episode at least two hours long. I would not have minded that, but I'm sure the network would have howled long and loud.

And please, no nail-biting that goes past the nails. I don't want to be responsible for anyone losing a finger here.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard