Next Thread
Print Thread
T
Tank Offline OP
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
T
I finally managed to finish a TOGoM story for 2014 and I've gotten these stupid new boards to accept my log in, but now I have no idea how to post a story.

When I go into the new topic posting form I don't see any file drop down to allow me to paste my story from my word document.

I really don't like these 'new look' boards.

Tank (who was quite happy with the old boards)

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I'm sorry you're having problems with the new boards, Tank. We hope you figure it out, so we can read your new story. hyper

Well, just do what you did when you posted THIS thread. You do the same thing over in the Lois and Clark FanFic forum. Click on the "Forum List" link above and then open the Lois and Clark FanFic Forum. Click on "New Topic" button which will open up a page like the one where you posted this one. What do you mean by...?
Originally Posted by Tank
When I go into the new topic posting form I don't see any file drop down to allow me to paste my story from my word document.
Did the old boards have a drop down menu? I don't recall that. You just copy the document from WORD and paste it in the open window. Don't forget to click on the box to "Add this topic to my watched topic" when you make your FDK thread. This way you'll get an email with the comments sent directly to your email address. If someone else makes an FDK thread before you do, you can always follow it by clicking on the "Topic Options" button and highlight (from the drop-down menu) "Add this Topic to your watched topics."

I have to agree with you that it did take a while to adjust to the new boards. The more you use them, the easier it becomes. There are many great improvements with the new boards. One of my favorites (after the new FDK emails - FULL emails of what people posted, not just announcing that someone responded) is the look of the new Active Topics screens. smile

Good Luck, Tank. Looking forward to your new story.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
T
Tank Offline OP
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
T
I must be stupid or something because I don't see any way to paste what I've copied onto my clipboard to the post box.

This message is here because I've written it out directly.

I'm don't really want to have to retype the whole story again in the post box.

I've been away from writing here for awhile maybe 'the universe' is trying to tell me something.

Tank (who will have to do some further investigation)

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Tank!

I'll try to do this in the most basic way I can imagine in order to ensure a ToGoM before the year's over smile1

From what you've written, I am assuming you are seeing and typing in the nice, white text input area. How do you normally paste text into such a place? It should work the same way here.

On Windows you can use CTRL+V as a short cut. You can also right-click into the text input area. This should open the context menu and there you can select the 'Paste' option.

I'm sorry, but I don't have a clue how this works in case you got a Mac, but it should be something similar.

Does that help?

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi Tank:
I'm eager to see your new ToGOM story. Here's what I did to post here.
I copied your message above with a Control "C". Then I did a Control "V" and got this below.

I finally managed to finish a TOGoM story for 2014 and I've gotten these stupid new boards to accept my log in, but now I have no idea how to post a story.

I really don't like these 'new look' boards.

Tank (who was quite happy with the old boards)

So highlight your story in Word, Copy it with Control C and past it with Control V.
Hope this helps.
If you are still flummoxed, e-mail the story to jumpstick@earthlink.net and I'll post it for you and label it
Artemis posting for Tank.
Happy New Year!
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Or mail it to me and I can post it under your name. (Ironically, the new boards make that a whole lot easier than it used to be. goofy)

LabRat smile

Last edited by LabRat; 01/01/15 01:08 PM.

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi LabRat:
Tank posted successfully. But that is a good tip for others new to the board.
smile
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Excellent. BTW, Tank - how did you solve the log-in issue? It's been irking me for months - and others, I know - and I know Annette's struggling to track down the cause. Did it just come right on its own or did you do something that fixed it?

LabRat smile

Last edited by LabRat; 01/01/15 02:03 PM.

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I'm having trouble searching for stuff - whatever I put in, nothing comes back as a search result.

Is there a thread here somewhere that gives instructions on how to search in these new boards?

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by IolantheAlias
I'm having trouble searching for stuff - whatever I put in, nothing comes back as a search result.

Is there a thread here somewhere that gives instructions on how to search in these new boards?
We discussed it when these new boards were just updated, but I think it would take me longer to look for that discussion than to explain it again. lol

Firstly, when doing a search, you need to remove the date range to make sure that it isn't just searching the past week. I usually just leave it completely blank.

Secondly, choose which forum you want to search.

Thirdly, make sure that your search isn't too generic, which doesn't really work for us with generic titles such as "Another Lois" or "Just Another Day". [Linked Image] (Wrong Clark comes up easy-peesy, but not Another Lois.) When doing a search for my "First Kiss" story, nothing came back when I put "first" as the search word. However, when I changed it to "First Kiss" (without quotes), I got results for both my story and Classicalla's "Kiss" story.

Personally, I usually do searches just in "subject" category, because otherwise you might end up with too many false positives. For my example above, when I searched for "First Kiss" (without quotes) in both the Subject & Body search, I ended up with 8 pages of results, none of which were correct because the first 200 results only got us back until last August.

I hope that helps. laugh

VirginiaR.
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Another trick you can use is to go to Google's web site, type in what you would usually have as your search string, and then, before hitting enter, adding the following to your search:

site:lcficmbs.com

This tells Google to search only this web site. This trick comes in quite handy when sites' search engines are less than optimal.

Joy,
Lynn

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by Lynn S. M.
Another trick you can use is to go to Google's web site, type in what you would usually have as your search string, and then, before hitting enter, adding the following to your search:

site:lcficmbs.com

This tells Google to search only this web site. This trick comes in quite handy when sites' search engines are less than optimal.
Cool trick, Lynn. Thanks for sharing. smile

VirginiaR.
---
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Double thanks on the trick!

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Thanks for that tip, Lynn. I've had to spend some time tracking down various bits of data over the past few days and this saved me hours of work, taking me directly to the post I was looking for every single time. Brilliant!

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Happy to help. I picked up that tidbit in a course I took on ethical hacking. Given how useful it is, I'm surprised that it isn't better known.

Joy,
Lynn

Moderated by  Darth Michael 

Link Copied to Clipboard