Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj
Top Banana
Top Banana
It's nice to see Lois making friends, especially with a former rival.

So, Pete knows that Clark is Superman. Does Clark know that Pete knows? And do the others know (or suspect)?

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
KenJ Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Hi Anne,

Thanks for the FDK!

Yes, being secure in her relationship with Clark has worked wonders.

Yes, Pete discovered by accident and has kept his secret all of these years. Not even Clark knows that Pete discovered his secret. Pete is Clark's closest and truest friend since boyhood. He would die rather than reveal Clark's secret. As long as he doesn't let on that he knows there is no reason for 'bad' elements to try to get the secret from him.

As for the others, no they do not suspect. Pete had helped cover for Clark's abilities.

Last edited by KenJ; 12/26/14 05:06 PM.

kj
Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
Lana Lang, on the other hand, had been one of the girls that Clark had dated seriously while in High School. That had been broken off when she'd had to go with her Dad on an archaeological dig their senior year. She had completed that year as a home schooler with her father, Professor Bertram Lang, as her teacher. She had done her senior year through correspondence under his tutelage and managed to graduate near the top of the class.

Professor Bertram Lang! shock (She makes a happy squealing noise) dance Talk about inside jokes!

Pete was home on winter break from the college where he was teaching Metallurgy and Mineralogy.
jawdrop Metallurgy and Mineralogy? Okay my friend, message received loud and clear.

When she looked back she saw Lois remove her arm from around Clark. Lois no longer felt threatened by Rachel in her relationship with Clark. Rachel stepped in their direction and held out her hand for Lois to shake and was surprised when Lois ignored the offered appendage and pulled Rachel into a hug. She was flabbergasted when she heard, Lois say, "Rachel, it's so good to see you again. How's the sheriff business?"

Lois was surprised to see Rachel Harris, but unlike the previous visit she was no longer apprehensive. Now, secure in the knowledge of her relationship with Clark she felt free. She no longer had to compete with this woman. She thought to herself, <The better woman won.> She was able to greet the other woman warmly.

Poor Rachel! Having been in the uncomfortable position of being the former girlfriend meeting the new wife I can sympathize with her feeling uncomfortable. But she's doing the right thing, accepting the situation with maturity and grace beyond her years. Such behavior makes life easier for all concerned.

But honestly, showing up at a gathering in her uniform? Forget about Lois, Rachel is now off duty. Surely she would have brought a change of clothes?

This is a different Lois! Strong enough to face someone who was once very important to Clark's life and yet tender enough to welcome her into their lives.

When the other girls took off their long winter coats, Lois had noted the way that Rachel and Lana were dressed. Both were wearing short flouncy skirts with crinolines under them and western boots. The boots made a lot of sense to Lois, the snow from Christmas was still hanging around, but the short skirts had her wondering. She asked Rachel, "How come you guys are dressed like this. Isn't it kinda cold to be wearing something that short?"

Rachel and Lana both laughed at the question and then Rachel explained, "When we leave here, we're going to the New Year's Eve dance at the Grange Hall. We were going to ask you and Clark if you wanted to go too."

OK, my bad, now I understand about the hat!

By the time they got home, to the farm, Lois was tired, but very happy. She had a husband that loved her and whom she in turn loved very much and now had a couple of wonderful girlfriends. It had always been hard for Lois to make friends, but ever since she and Clark had gotten married, it just seemed easier, somehow.

Very glad to see Lois has friends, ones who she will keep!

Last edited by Morgana; 12/27/14 04:51 PM.

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
T
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
T
I just had to drop a note on this chapter. I just really love the entire thing. How Lois reacted, the details about all the friends (reallymy favorite part). Truly a wonderful chapter.

Last edited by Tailee; 12/28/14 02:05 AM. Reason: spelling

Black Star: "If it's fear that you speak of, then I'll stand and face it. I'll never give up. The only time I lose is when I die!" - Soul Eater
KenJ Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Hi Terry,

Thanks for the FDK!

In the series we had an ensemble cast, but in the world of Superman that ensemble was a lot larger. I am using the episodes as aired as the basis for this series, but making it a new world by expanding on the series. This is one of the ways. Because of the marriage we now have a somewhat softer, gentler Lois in her private life that is still Mad Dog Lane when it comes to the story. I am using this series to explore how marriage changes Lois that way. A Lois very much in love and not afraid to show it because she has the memories of her future self which give her that assurance that she lacked in the series. In the series, because of previous failed relationships she was gun shy about relationships and kept Clark at arm's length. Now she doesn't have to.

kj
KenJ Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Hi Morgana,

Thanks for the FDK!

Yes, that is what I am trying to bring out.

A more self-assured Lois. One that is confident in her relationship with Clark and able because of that to form friendships more easily. Now she doesn't have to look for a relationship with a man she doesn't love so that when he leaves her it won't hurt so badly. She is confident in her love for Clark and his love for her. She isn't secretly in love with him and denying it, even to herself and seeing other women as rivals.

The last time they had seen Rachel it was all so new it was almost overwhelming. The memories had just been implanted and hadn't all coalesced in her mind. Now they have had time to settle and be built upon. Each new day adds to her confidence in the relationship. That was something sorely lacking in the series.

kj

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard