Illusions of Grandeur - Matchmaker Style

Rated PG-13

* * denotes emphasis
< > denotes thoughts
As always comments are welcome. (ken.janney@kjanney.com)

Previously:

Half an hour after the last patron had left, Superman landed at the back door to the magic club and let himself in.

Since he now knew the lay of the land he proceeded directly to the door to the stairwell and smashed it open. He sped down and opened the concealed door into the underground chamber. As soon as the door was open he saw Lois and Nick just where they had been.

He walked over to Lois and asked, “Lois, are you all right?”

Lois didn’t so much as blink her eyes in response.

He tried again, “Lois, look at me!” When she didn’t respond again, this time he gently turned her head away from the TV and towards himself. When he did there was a glimmer of recognition. She tried to speak, but the sounds were unintelligible. Keeping her face toward him and away from the TV he asked, “Lois, have you been drugged?”

He could see her trying to form the word, ‘No’, but nothing came out. It suddenly registered that Lois was struggling against his hand to turn back to the TV.

Superman gave the TV his full attention. He looked very closely at the screen and nodded in understanding at what he saw. Without leaving Lois’s side he directed a blast of heat vision at the TV, fusing the wiring into a charred mass. There was a puff of smoke. Unlike the smoke pellets Romick used to cover movements on stage, this was a prelude to the TV instantly shutting off.

As soon as the TV shut off, Lois started to come back to herself and shook her head to clear it. She spotted him and asked, “Superman? How?”

Stepping over to the TV he ejected the cassette from the VCR that was attached to it. He held it out to show Lois. The label read, ‘Magic Channel – Demo.’

Lois asked, “That’s what we were watching? What made it so special?”

Just then, Nick revived and asked, “Superman, where’s my mom?”

Superman gave Nick a reassuring smile and said, “We'll get you to her, don't worry. Who did this to you?”

Nick scratched his head and replied, “I ... I don't remember. Someone made me watch TV. There's something strange about it.”

Lois nodded her agreement, “Yeah, something …”

Superman said, “You're both right. That tape was sending messages. My eyes work a little faster than yours and I caught it when I glanced over. It’s called subliminal messaging. It’s not a new technique, been used by studios for years. An image is inserted into a movie. It’s a single frame so it only registers on the subconscious. They flash a picture of a drink, a box of popcorn or a candy bar. Within minutes there’s a run on the snack bar. Since my brain works at superspeed I saw the images for what they were.”

Lois, anger in her tone said, “Mind control.”

“Not really control, influence. Whoever watches this tape is programmed to submit and wait for further instruction.” Picking up Nick, he said, “Come on, let's get you out of here before that can happen.” Giving Lois his hand he helped her up the stairs.

When they exited the stairwell, Lois realized where they were and gazed around at all of the magic show props.

As they walked through Nick recognized the magic box and shouted, “Look! It's the box I was in.”

Seeing what Nick was pointing out, Lois walked over to it, lifted the lid and looked inside. As she did, she said, “Well, at least we know there's nothing surprising about *this* trick anymore.” Throwing the lid back and looking in Lois saw Dr. Novak and he looked dead. Startled at the sight, Lois slammed the lid back down before Nick could look in. She looked at Superman and he smiled reassuringly at her. She was surprised by this, but didn’t let on and said, “Nope. No surprises.”

Superman said, “He figured out who that kidnapper was and …”

He was interrupted as suddenly Romick stepped out of the shadows and said, “What do you think you're doing? Guests aren’t allowed back here.”

Interposing himself between Lois and Romick, Superman said, “Sorry, Romick. This is one trick you're not going to get away with.”

And Now

Chapter 7

Romick, apparently confused asked, “What are you talking about?”

Lois was convinced that Romick was the culprit and started listing the charges, “The kidnappings, mass hypnosis, Dr. Novak, we know all about it.”

Romick, obviously still confused said, “Kidnappings? Hypnosis? Dr. Novak! You've made some kind of mistake.”

Suddenly another voice interrupted them, “I'm afraid he's right. He doesn’t know anything about them.” Constance stepped out of the shadows. Once she was in the light she continued, “Darren Romick never had an idea of his own in his entire life.”

Rounding on her, Romick asked, “Constance, what have you done?”

With a sneer, Constance replied, “What I should have done a long time ago. I'm in charge now.”

Superman started to move on her aggressively, but stopped when she said, “The moon and stars.” Superman sensed that everyone in the room responded the same way.

Constance chortled, “It's astonishing how little we know about the mind. Someone like me, for example, with just the rudimentary knowledge of hypnosis that Dr. Novak taught me can turn the world upside down and have even you, Superman, at my whim.”

Romick fought to break free of Constance’s spell and said, “Fight ... Superman ... You've got to ... fight it ...”

Constance addressed Romick, “Relax, Darren. You're under a very powerful suggestion. Why, you don't even remember killing Dr. Novak for me, do you?”

Darren shook his head in response.

Like all narcissistic megalomaniacs Constance began to gloat about her accomplishments, “Just like the Queen doesn't remember dancing in her fountain. Or the General who doesn't recall wanting to fire that missile without authorization. They were all test cases. But you, Superman, worked out the best. My post hypnotic command that wrong is right caused you to go on a rampage of destruction in center city! Even something so mundane as ripping up parking meters is significant for you. Now, let's take care of our friends.” She turned to Nick and said, “Nick, you see the sword box?”

Nick replied, “Yes, ma’am.”

“Go, get inside.”

Nick walked over to the box and climbed inside lying down once he was.

Constance ordered, “Superman, close him in and make sure the lock is secure.

Superman closed up the box and wrapped a heavy chain around it and locked it with a padlock.

As he was doing this, Constance addressed Romick, “Next, the magnificent Romick is going to perform his last and most dangerous illusion. Do you see that ladder going all the way up the wall?”

Romick looked where indicated and replied, “Yes.”

Constance said, “I want you to climb to the very top and then I want you to fly down. Do you understand?”

Romick replied, “Yes,” and started walking in that direction.

Constance turned her attention to Lois, “Now, for you, Miss Lane, a death defying stunt. Over here, please.” Constance led her to a giant Plexiglas tank with heavy locks and chains on it, and commanded, “Climb in.”

Lois complied by climbing down a ladder into the chamber.

Turning to Superman once again, she said, “Superman, close the lid, lock the chains, and turn on the water.”

Superman did as he was told, but Constance didn’t notice that the water was not flowing in at full force because she was distracted by Romick.

Turning back to Superman she said, “Now, wave goodbye.”

Superman waved to Lois.

Lois waved back.

Addressing Superman, Constance said, “It’s time to send the world a message.” Constance pulled out an electronic module with the Magic Channel logo emblazoned on it. “Superman, you will have the honor of activating my satellite. The Magic channel. A twenty-four hour cable channel, feeding into homes all around the world. And along with the entertainment, they'll receive my subliminal signals at no extra charge. Anyone who watches will be at my complete disposal. Now, go. It's already in orbit. All you have to do is install this final module and throw the broadcast switch.”

Superman accepted the module and strode out.

Constance looked around and saw that Nick was in the sword box, that Romick was climbing the steps and that Lois was locked into the chamber with water flowing in. She noticed how slowly the water was flowing, but didn’t think much of it.

She sauntered off.

When Superman had left, he hadn’t gone very far, just out of the building. He had turned back and kept an eye on things by using his x-ray vision. Things were at a critical stage and he needed to be careful.

Once Constance walked off he zipped back into the building. His first stop was the top of the water chamber. He turned off the water and unlocked the hatch. After lowering the ladder into the chamber he commanded Lois, “Climb the ladder.” When she didn’t move he tried to imitate Constance’s voice and said, “The moon and stars say to climb the ladder.”

Lois immediately obeyed and climbed out of the chamber. Once out, Clark, again imitating Constance’s voice said, “The moon and stars command you to forget that you have to obey those commands. When I count down from five and snap my fingers you will awake refreshed and forget the post-hypnotic commands and remember what happened to you. Five … four … three … two … one.” (snap)

Lois shook her head as if coming out of a dream. She could feel that her legs were wet and looked down and then around, at her surroundings. In a bewildered tone she asked, “How did I get here? How did I get wet? I was in a chamber …”

Superman said, “I’ll explain later. I need to save Romick.” He flew off to intercept Romick.

Romick had made it two thirds of the way to the top when Superman grabbed him and flew him back to the floor.

When he set Romick back on his feet he again imitated Constance’s voice and said, “The moon and stars command you to forget that you have to obey those commands. When I count down from five and snap my fingers you will awake refreshed and forget the post-hypnotic commands and remember what happened to you. Five … four … three … two … one.” (snap)

Romick shook his head as if trying to regain his bearings. He said, “I remember now. Dr. Novak …”

Superman put his hand on Romick’s shoulder and said, “Don’t worry about Dr. Novak.”

“But … but she … she ordered me to kill him.”

“Mr. Romick, is it in your nature to kill someone?”

“Well, no, I don’t think so. I’ve never killed anyone. I wouldn’t have believed that I could.”

Superman replied, “Trust me, you didn’t.”

Superman flew to the top of the Plexiglas tank and picking up Lois flew her back down to the floor. He moved over to the sword box and released Nicky. Opening the lid he carried him over and set him on the floor next to Lois.

Kneeling in front of Nick he again imitated Constance’s voice and said, “The moon and stars command you to forget that you have to obey those commands. When I count down from five and snap my fingers you will awake refreshed and forget the post-hypnotic commands and remember what happened to you. Five … four … three … two … one.” (snap)

Nick shook his head and looked around. Seeing Superman he said, “Wow,” and seeing Lois asked, “Who are you?”

Lois said, “I’m here to take you back to your mom,” when she reached for his hand he placed it in hers and smiled.

Suddenly, from the side they heard, “The moon and the stars tell you to obey my voice.”

Lois, Nick and Romick all stopped dead in their tracks and Superman was concerned that they were still going to obey her, but they had only stopped because they were surprised at hearing her voice.

Superman said to Lois, “Take Nicky out of here.”

She nodded and leading Nick by the hand headed for the stage door.

Romick moved up next to Superman.

Suddenly, Constance appeared before them. She said, “You won't win, Superman. But things aren't always what they seem.”

Superman cocked his head to one side. The voice was coming from a spot other than where Constance appeared to be, but he was having a hard time locating the actual source.

Turning to Romick he said, “Dr. Novak is in your magic box, pretending to be dead. Go help him out and go for the police.”

Lois took Nick out through the door and said, “Nick, I want you to wait right here. Don’t go anywhere. I have to go back in and help Superman, but I want you to stay safe, okay?”

“Okay, I’ll wait right here.”

Lois patted him on the head and passed back in through the door.

In order to test his theory, Superman headed for the image of Constance. It looked very real, but when he reached out to touch her, she disappeared and he felt the cool surface of a mirror. He muttered, “Smoke and mirrors. The magician’s tools.” Stepping around the mirror, Superman found himself in a hall of mirrors with reflections of himself and Constance everywhere.

Suddenly, he heard Constance again, mocking him, “You may have Super vision, but all it takes is a split second to be fooled.”

He thought that he had finally zeroed in on the sound of her voice and thought it was behind him. He whipped around to find another reflection. The obvious conclusion was that her voice was bouncing off of the flat surfaces the same way her image was bouncing off the mirrors. He tried to look through the mirrors with his x-ray vision, but the mirrors interfered with that also. The obvious conclusion was that there was lead in the mirror coating.

He tried to ferret her out, “It's over, Constance, your satellite, the Magic Channel, everything. I destroyed that electronic module.”

Lois passed Romick and Dr. Novak as she was going back in. She said, “Take Nick with you. Get him to safety.”

Romick stopped and asked, “Where are you going?”

“I’m going back in to help Superman.”

Romick gave her a disbelieving look and said, “Do you really think that’s a good idea? She’s dangerous.”

With an arched eyebrow, Lois said, “I’m not exactly a defenseless woman. I can take care of myself.”

Romick shrugged his shoulders and said, “It’s your funeral.” He turned and with Dr. Novak following left the building.

As Lois reentered, she heard as Constance replied to Superman’s sally about the satellite, “Perhaps, but I’m still the world’s greatest magician.”

Disbelief in his voice, Superman asked, “You? A magician? There is no such thing as magic. It’s all illusion.”

Following the voices, Lois had returned to where the earlier confrontation had occurred and started looking around. Suddenly as she moved slightly she was confronted by … herself. Lois didn’t realize it was herself because of the semi-darkness and she was startled until she saw it was her own reflection and moved to investigate. As she moved around behind the mirror she found herself in the hall of mirrors and she heard Superman and Constance speaking. She started moving around looking for them.

Constance was spouting, “Darren Romick was a penniless card hustler when I found him. I taught him everything. Everything my father taught me.”

Lois had been moving toward the voices when suddenly a hand grabbed her and pulled her off balance. When she regained her footing, she felt a gun pressed into her temple.

Seconds later, Superman saw an image appear in the mirror in front of him. The image was of Constance holding Lois with a gun to her temple.

Seeing this threat, Superman reacted instantly by directing a blast of heat vision at the gun, but since he had used a high level beam it was only to see cracks appear in the mirror that held the image.

Lois shouted, “Superman!”

Constance continued her rant, “No one wanted to see a female illusionist. They didn't take me seriously. So I got myself a front man who started to believe in his own success.”

Constance and Lois were constantly moving. Disappearing from one mirror and appearing in another. Superman needed them to stay put for at least a few seconds.

Lois knew that she needed to provide a distraction so that Superman could deal with the situation. She quipped, “All this just because nobody wanted to see you pull a rabbit out of your hat?”

Constance kept dragging Lois around as she replied, “It was a secret society that wouldn't let me in. Now I'm going to show them all what true illusion really is.”

Superman knew that Lois was trying to help and played along, “You had a great talent, Constance. But you're the one who wasted it by using it for revenge.”

Constance was at a place that she could see Superman’s reflection and he was looking all around, apparently confused. She paused to gloat and when she did she gave him the opening he was looking for. He used his heat vision, at a lower intensity, the same way he used it to cut his hair. He bounced it off of the mirrors hitting the gun in her hand.

As the gun heated Constance screamed and Lois took the opportunity to act. She windmilled her arm bringing it up under Constance’s, overhead and around back trapping Constance’s arm across her back and in the crook of her elbow. Then Lois’s other fist came up and clipped Constance under the chin.

Constance dropped unconscious to the floor as Lois released her arm.

Hearing Constance’s fall, Superman finally located them. He carried Constance’s unconscious form and led Lois out of the maze.

Once out of the hall of mirrors, Superman used some of the rope from the magic props to tie Constance up.

When she regained consciousness she asked, “How?”

He replied, “I’ve been onto you since the ransom pickup when you tried to hypnotize me. You failed, but I didn’t know what you had done to Nick. You could have drugged him for all I knew and I couldn’t take a chance that he would suffer ill effects if I took him away so I had to play along. You forgot a fundamental tenet of hypnotism. You cannot make someone do anything that they would not normally do even when hypnotized.”

“But you destroyed all of those parking meters.”

“It was supposed to look that way. You see, the city was preparing to replace those meters. They were outdated and a lot of them were malfunctioning. The Superman foundation contacted the city and volunteered Superman’s services to remove those meters. It saved the city some money and man-hours removing them. Ms. Lane didn’t know any differently and wrote up the story as she saw it.”

“Romick killed Novak.”

“No, actually, as you said, not everything is as it appears. I have been watching all day and saw what was happening. I used one of your own tricks against you. I used a mirror to fool Romick into thinking Dr. Novak was where he wasn’t. Then Dr. Novak played dead. He and Romick have gone for the police. They should be here shortly.”

“It won’t do any good. Neither of them will remember what happened. They all will forget the same as Lois and Nick will.”

“Again, you weren’t careful enough. I was able to imitate your voice even though that probably wasn’t necessary and broke your post-hypnotic suggestions. It was delivered through subliminal suggestion which didn’t affect me. Also we have your complete confession.”

“What? How?”

Reaching behind him, Superman grabbed his cape and reached into a secret pocket. He pulled out a miniature recorder and said, “I borrowed this from Clark Kent before I came here this evening. Every word has been recorded.

Constance was practically frothing at the mouth with anger.

comments go here

TBC

Last edited by KenJ; 12/16/14 12:09 PM.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj