Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
So ... I have a OneNote notebook that I do all my writing in, and I was just having a run of inspiration when my eldest daughter (nine) asks where her writing section is. We set one up for her a few weeks ago and she likes to write children's adventure stories.

I finished off my quick spurt of inspiration and then went off upstairs to get ready to go out with my mum. (She's won something in a writing competition and there is a meal tonight where she finds out what ... guess the whole family is into writing smile ) I left my daughter sat at my computer looking at her writing section.

When I come back down Elizabeth is rushing out with her daddy, going to her ballet lesson and she tells me to 'have a look in her Superman section'.

So... she's started a new section in her writing and called it Superman. Inside that section is a story which she has called ...

True Love.

Awww.

This is what's in the story so far. Obviously she got distracted pretty soon, and then had to go out to ballet.

True Love
by Elizabeth (age 9)

"Lois is everything ok?" Clark asked as he walked into her flat.
"Ye, everything is ok" Lois answered.
"I'm just going to get a taxi to get to the daily planet" Clack replied.

So... what do you think. I know there's not much, but I just had to share. Is there a budding Superman fanfic writer in my house?

KatherineKent/Victoria
Lois: "You put up with me for the same reason I put up with you. It's because I'm completely in love with you."
Clark: "And I love you ... Did we just make up?"
Lois: "I think so."
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
How wonderful to have three generations of writers in the family! She's off to a good start; give her a few years to polish her style, and she may be giving you some competition for those Kerths.

Joy,
Lynn

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Your daughter is off to a wonderful start. Give her only a little encouragement and leave her alone to write it. My best advice is not to say too much. I've noticed too much praise (especially if accompanied by editing or correcting typos and/or grammar) tends early on kills the writing bug more than anything else. If you hadn't had prefaced your blurb with your daughter's age, I would have guessed she was much older.

Do they teach typing in your daughter's school? My daughter's teacher has her students practice on something called Dance Mat Typing. *I* didn't learn to type until high school. NOW there's a change from generations past.

It's amazing what kids pick up from their folks. My dad and older sister both write and I know the first time I got the bug (a poem about cats) was after I saw my father working on his book. Both of my kids have picked up the pen to write stories as well... not as complete of one as your daughter. Then again, my daughter (also 9) gave up story writing for drawing and art several years ago. My son (age 7) prefers drawing picture books to writing novels and fanfic. He usually dictates the words to accompany the pictures. We compiled a book of about 5 of his short stories into a Shutterfly book for his kindergarten teacher last year as an end of the year gift. His stories are mostly about monsters and aliens (although not of Kal-El's ilk).

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Kerth
Kerth
I've been teaching an after school typing class once a week this semester...I don't suppose you can guess what free program I found on the internet to use for the class? grin My son learned to touch type when he was 6 using Dance Mat Typing!

I actually talk to my students about fanfiction sometimes (which is why most of my stories are locked away behind a password and pseudonym!). I totally encourage them to write their own stories - it's good practice for their language skills and it's easier to get started when they already have a sense of the characters in their heads. So that's totally cool that your daughter just went for it!

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard