Winter Wonderland
Part 2/5

Clark landed softly on the path that he’d shoveled earlier in the afternoon, making sure that Lois was steady on her feet before releasing her. Snow was still falling, more gently than earlier in the day, but in larger flakes. A few came to rest on her eyelashes and he had to resist the urge to gently brush them away. “Well,” he said, stepping back. “I guess I’ll see you in a couple days.”

Lois’s gaze moved from the surrounding snowdrifts to look at him. “Would you like to come inside to say hello?” she asked. “I’m sure the Kents would be happy to see you.”

He dipped his head in apology, anxious to leave as Superman so that he could come back to welcome her as Clark. Carrying her in his arms all the way here had been at once wonderful and torturous, as he’d longed to restore the closeness they’d had last night and earlier today. But the last thing he wanted was to draw her attention back to Superman, especially now that he seemed to finally have it as Clark. “That’s a generous offer, Lois, but I need to be going. You should get inside, though, before you get any colder.” He took a few more steps backwards, preparing to lift off.

“Superman, wait!” Lois dropped her bag and followed him. A moment later, her arms were around his neck. “Thank you. I know I said it earlier, but I really mean it.”

Unable to help himself, Clark lifted his arms to return the hug, but he’d barely had time to embrace her before she’d released him and stepped back. Surprised at how quickly she’d retreated, he levitated several feet into the air so she couldn’t see it on his face. “Goodnight, Lois,” he called out. “Enjoy your vacation.” And with that, he shot up into the clouds.

Safely hidden in the thick clouds, Clark counted to ten, and then quickly circled around to the far side of the barn, out of Lois’s sight. He’d deliberately left a few lights on in the barn before leaving the farm, planning to emerge from the front side in case she was watching from the house. As he spun into his casual clothing and exited the barn, however, he was surprised to see Lois still standing on the shoveled path, gazing up at the sky.

His heart sank as he wondered if she was looking for Superman. After last night, he’d been so sure that she was starting to see the Clark side of him in a different light … but maybe her feelings for her best friend and partner were still overshadowed by her feelings for the superhero.

The look on Lois’s face as she turned around and saw him standing behind her in the path, however, pushed all those fears aside. Her eyes lit up and she ran to him with a laugh. “Clark!” she exclaimed. “There you are!”

He caught her as she launched herself at him, wrapping his arms around her back as she wrapped hers around his neck. It was the hug he’d been expecting earlier … only infinitely better because she was giving it to Clark, not Superman. “What are you doing outside?” he asked, laughing with her. “I thought you’d be inside getting warm.”

She pulled out of his arms, her eyes bright as she looked up at the sky again. “I’m looking at all the snow. It’s beautiful.”

“I told you we had a lot of it.”

“I know, but it’s just so … so … Christmasy!”

He laughed out loud at her enthusiasm, his heart swelling at her joyful tone. He’d never heard Lois talk about Christmas in anything other than wistful tones, even last night when they’d been cuddled up on her sofa. The fact that he could help her experience some of the delight he always felt at this time of year, just by sharing it with her … well, it made his holiday even better.

“Come on,” he said, picking up her bag from the snow and extending his free hand to her. “Let’s go inside and get you warmed up. I bet dinner will be ready any minute.”

She slipped her gloved hand into his and followed him down the shoveled path to the back porch and inside the house.

In contrast to the weather outside, the Kent kitchen was warm and bright, and the wonderful smells of Christmas dinner filled the room. “Mom, Dad, we’re here!” Clark called out as he led Lois inside.

His father was closest to the door. “Martha, the kids are home!” he called over his shoulder, and then smiled warmly to welcome his newest guest. “Lois, it’s good to see you again.”

“You, too, Jonathan,” she replied, giving him a friendly hug. “Thank you so much for inviting me.”

“You’re always welcome,” Jonathan assured her, patting her on the back. “We’re just glad you could come on such short notice.”

“Are you kidding? You saved me from two days of eating leftovers and cleaning my apartment. I think I got the better end of the deal.” She shot Clark a playful look. “I was actually trying to figure out how I could get your son to keep me company when he called this morning.”

Clark laughed as he set her bag down in the hallway before moving to help her off with her coat. “Which were you going to ask me to do? Eat the leftovers or clean your apartment?”

Her eyes twinkled at him. “You mean I had to choose?”

Martha took that moment to bustle into the kitchen, wiping her hands on her apron. “I was just adding some water to the tree and look what I missed!”

“Hi, Martha. Merry Christmas!”

His mom folded Lois into a warm hug. “Merry Christmas to you, dear. We’re so glad you’re here. And you two have perfect timing. Dinner is almost ready.”

“It smells wonderful,” Lois said. “I was worried I might be late … I got caught up at work and only got home a little while ago. But Superman was late, too, so it worked out fine.”

Martha’s gaze immediately flickered to Clark. “Was everything OK in the barn, honey?”

He was quick to reassure her with a smile. He’d been in and out as Superman all afternoon while waiting to pick up Lois, but luckily, there hadn’t been anything serious enough to require more than short bits of his time. “Yup, all set. Nothing I couldn’t handle.”

“Then I think it’s time to eat,” Martha said brightly. “Jonathan, will you help me get the ham out of the oven? And Clark, you can show Lois to the table.”

Jonathan gave Clark a friendly clap on the back as he passed by on the way to the stove. “If you want wine, son, you’ll need to pick it out yourself. I wasn’t sure what you might want.”

“Sure, Dad,” Clark answered before turning to look at Lois. “Any requests?”

“What are my options?”

“What are your options?” Jonathan laughed from across the room. “Take her into the wine cellar, Clark, and let her choose. God knows I have no idea what you have down there.”

“You have a wine cellar in the house?” Lois asked, surprised.

Clark chuckled and rolled his eyes. “My dad is teasing me. C’mon, I’ll show you.”

He led her to a door on the back porch and swung it open to reveal a downward staircase.

“Is this your basement?” she asked as she peered inside.

“Kind of … it’s our root cellar.” Clark found the light switch, and they moved down the stairs into the open room below. “See?”

Lois looked wide-eyed at the shelves covering the walls. Glass jars containing every color of the rainbow filled the top shelves, with boxes and bushel baskets taking up the bottom. “Where did you get all of this?”

“We grew it. That’s what farm life is like – you grow the food in the summer, then store whatever you can’t eat immediately for the winter.”

“I guess I’m used to just going to the store when I need something.”

“Well, the closest store is twenty minutes into town, so even running in for a few items takes time. But beyond that, there’s no point buying what you already have.” He lifted the lid off a few of the boxes on the lower shelves and showed her the potatoes and carrots inside. “People in Metropolis pay a lot of money for organic produce that’s been trucked in from a thousand miles away. Here, we grow our own and know exactly what we’re eating.”

“Sounds like you miss it,” she said.

“Sometimes,” he admitted, replacing the covers, but his voice grew tender as he looked into her eyes. “But not as much as I’d miss Metropolis.”

She looked up at him, swallowing a little nervously. “So you’re in Metropolis to stay, then? I mean, you’re not planning to leave anytime soon and move somewhere else?”

Clark caught his breath as he saw the anxious expression on her face. He already knew the answer to her question, but seeing it reflected in her eyes made him all the more sure. “Lois,” he whispered, “I’ve found everything I’ve ever wanted in Metropolis.”

They stared into each other’s eyes for a moment in silent communication, and Clark felt himself begin to lean towards her. Lois’s gaze flickered to his lips, then back up to his eyes, her own dark and luminous as she, too, leaned closer.

Her eyelids had just fluttered closed in anticipation, when suddenly a series of thumps shook the cellar ceiling. “Hey, Clark, did you pick a wine yet?” his father’s muffled voice called from above. “Dinner’s on the table.”

Clark startled over the interruption, and pulled back, blushing. He cleared his throat before calling out in response, though his voice still sounded hoarse to his ears. “Uh, not yet, Dad … we’ll be right up.”

Lois gave a little giggle as she tucked her hair behind one ear, and looked up at him from beneath her eyelashes. “So … I guess we should pick a bottle, huh?”

He blew out a deep breath and pulled himself together, remembering why they were there. “Right,” he agreed. “Wine.” He led her to the far corner of the room where another set of shelves was laden with bottles, full from bottom to top. “OK, some people like Reisling with ham, but honestly, I prefer a medium bodied red …” He started sorting through the varieties. “Do you like Pinot Noir? Oh! Or how about a Malbec?” He perked up as he found the one he was looking for and showed Lois the label. “I picked this one up in Argentina a few years ago. Have you ever tried it?”

Lois was staring at him in amazement, her eyes moving between the bottle in his hands and those completely covering the shelves. “You have a lot of wine!” she finally burst out.

Clark smiled guiltily, and gave an apologetic shrug. “I know … I can’t seem to stop myself. Actually, I’ve been pretty good about not buying much in Metropolis. But when I was traveling … I could pick up all these local finds that I couldn’t get in the States, let alone in Smallville.”

“No, no, I think it’s great,” Lois assured him. “I’m just surprised, that’s all. I mean, when your dad said wine cellar, I thought he was kidding.”

“Oh … well. Yeah, my dad’s not much for fancy wines. Not that these are expensive or anything, but … well, you know, he just thinks it’s a silly thing to collect.” Clark chuckled, putting the Pinor Noir back on the shelf, but keeping the Malbec. “Not that he refuses to drink it, mind. He just likes to tease me about it taking up space in his root cellar.”

“Are they the kinds of wine you need to age for years or something? Is that why you keep them here instead of at your apartment?”

“Actually, I keep them here because until a year and a half ago, I didn’t have a permanent address,” he answered with a grin. “But now that I’m settled in Metropolis, I’d really like to move them over there. In fact, it’s one of my New Year’s resolutions – to build a nice wine rack somewhere in my apartment to give them a home.”

“Some people collect stray cats; Clark Kent collects stray wine bottles.”

Clark laughed with her as he led her back up the stairs. “Please, mom, can I keep it? It followed me home!”

They were still laughing as they entered the kitchen, ready to enjoy their Kent holiday feast.

Lois smiled as she set her fork down on her empty plate and sat back in her chair. She couldn’t remember a more enjoyable Christmas dinner, from the food to the conversation. The menu hadn’t been fancy, but Martha had explained that everything on the table had either been grown on their own farm or, in the case of the meat, raised by a neighbor. It made the dinner even more special, and the love and attention that had gone into it made Lois feel honored to share it with them.

As she watched Clark gleefully dig into his second slice of pie, Lois reflected on how different this trip was from the first time she had visited Smallville. Sixteen months ago, she’d come to Kansas under extreme protest, sure that nothing of any importance could happen in such a backwater place. Staying in Clark’s childhood home – not to mention meeting his parents – was something she’d done only out of necessity, an obligation to be tolerated as a means to getting a story.

But that trip had been a turning point in their relationship. While in the first few months of their partnership, she’d seen Clark primarily as a rival or a nuisance, spending time with him in Smallville had made her realize that there was so much more to him than just a simple farm boy. And there was so much more to this place, and this family, than she had ever imagined possible.

“Lois, honey, did you get enough to eat?”

“Oh, more than enough, Martha, thank you. It was all so delicious.”

Clark concurred from across the table. “You outdid yourself, Mom. Everything was wonderful.”

“Well, thank you. We’re just glad you could both be here to enjoy it.”

Finishing his pie, Clark pushed back from the table and started collecting the empty plates. “It’s kind of late for coffee, but would anyone like herbal tea? I was going to make a pot while I did the dishes.”

Lois stood up with him. “Here, let me help you,” she offered, stacking the plates within her reach.

“That’s a generous offer,” he teased, trying to take them out of her hand. “But you’re my guest.”

She pulled them back with a flirty grin, matching his tone. “But you were my guest last night and you helped me clean up, so it’s only fair. Besides, we make a pretty good team.”

As their hands touched and their eyes met, Lois felt her stomach do a little flip as she watched a new intensity enter his gaze. “Always, Lois,” he murmured. “Always.”

Martha intervened by taking the dishes they were holding for herself. “Well, you’re both my guests tonight, so neither of you needs to do dishes. Clark, why don’t you take Lois into the living room and start a fire? Your dad can help me with these, and we’ll bring in the tea when we’re done.”

“Are you sure, Mom? You’ve already done all the cooking today.”

“Really, Martha, I don’t mind—“

Martha just deposited the dishes in Jonathan’s hands with a laugh and waved them off. “Shoo, both of you. Before I use my mom voice.”

Clark grinned. “Well, I guess that seals it. I never argue with the mom voice.” He offered Lois his elbow, which she accepted with a smile.

They walked into the living room, and Lois gave a little gasp of delight when she saw the Christmas tree that completely filled the far corner of the room. “Clark, that tree is huge!”

Clark chuckled as they approached it. “Yeah, I think my dad was feeling optimistic when he cut down this one. Mom said they had a hard time even fitting it through the door, let alone getting the lights on it.”

Lois laughed as she took it all in. Large colored lights covered the tree, and ornaments of all shapes, sizes, and ages were hung throughout the branches. It was completely different from the sleek designer trees Lois remembered from her early years, and it was everything she had ever pictured when she imagined an old-fashioned country Christmas. It felt like coming home. “To tell the truth, this is what I’d had in mind when we visited that tree lot the other day,” she confessed. “But you’re probably right -- I would have regretted it the moment we tried to drag it up three flights of stairs to my apartment.”

“Oh, I would have gotten it up there,” he said with an easy grin. “But don’t knock the little guy you picked out. It’s very ‘Charlie Brown’ … you can practically hear Schroder on the piano and Linus quoting Bible verses every time you look at it.”

“I’ll have you know I have that album and play it regularly,” she answered primly, turning her head to hide her smile.

He gave a little chuckle, and then his voice softened. “Actually, I love that you rescued it. It’s very you.”

As she felt his arm come around her back, Lois leaned against him. “Thanks, Clark.”

His hand squeezed her shoulder. “You’re welcome. I enjoyed shopping for it with you.”

“Not just for that. For … well, everything.” She sighed contently as she ran a finger along one of the many childhood photo ornaments on the tree, this one showing Clark as a little boy. “Staying for dinner last night, inviting me here today, all of it. But really … just for being you. I’m lucky to have you in my life.”

He swallowed and pulled her closer still, resting his head against hers. “Thank you,” he whispered emotionally.

Lois closed her eyes as she felt him nuzzle against her hair. It felt so good … so right to be here with him like this. A little shiver worked its way down her spine, and she moved to turn into his arms.

Unfortunately, Clark misinterpreted the shiver, and instantly pulled back. “Oh, geez, Lois, I’m sorry. I completely forgot I was supposed to start a fire, and now you’re cold.”

Instantly regretting the loss of his touch, Lois tried to protest, but it was too late. He’d already moved to the fireplace and was crouched in front of it, adding a few logs from the box nearby. With an ironic chuckle, she followed and knelt down near the hearth, watching him work. As he lit a match and held it to the kindling, she couldn’t help but rub his back affectionately.

Clark looked into her eyes as the kindling flared, his smile as warm as the growing fire, but before either of them could say a word, the Kents returned to the room, bearing a steaming tea service.

“Lois, we forgot to ask you at dinner,” Martha said cheerfully as she set the tray down on the coffee table. “Whatever happened with those toy rats that were so popular in Metropolis? Clark said there was some sort of chemical inside?”

Lois’s eyes lit up as she remembered the story she’d worked on earlier that day, and how she hadn’t yet filled Clark in on what she’d learned. After they moved to sit together on the sofa, Lois spent the next several minutes explaining to her hosts what had transpired over the last few days, and then catching Clark up on her newest information.

From there, the conversation flowed easily from topic to topic, and before Lois knew it, the grandfather clock was chiming ten o’clock.

At the sound, Jonathan placed his empty mug on the coffee table and stretched. “Well, I hate to say it,” he said, stifling a yawn, “but I need to get these old bones to bed. Christmas or not, morning comes early on a farm.”

Martha checked her watch as she, too, stood up. “Mercy, how did it get to be so late? It just goes to show what good conversation can do.” She smiled warmly at the younger couple. “Clark, can you show Lois to her room when she’s ready for bed? She probably remembers where it is from last fall, but make sure she has everything she needs, will you?”

“No problem, Mom,” Clark assured her. “We’ll be up in a bit. And don’t bother cleaning up. I’ll take care of the tea.”

“Thank you, honey. Goodnight. And Merry Christmas!”

“Merry Christmas, Martha,” Lois replied. “You, too, Jonathan.”

The older couple waved as they left the room.

When they were alone again, Lois turned to find Clark looking at her with a smile on his face. “What?” she asked.

“Nothing,” he said softly, shaking his head. “It’s just … really nice to have you here, that’s all.”

Her own smile grew. “Thanks.”

“So …” Clark began, and then trailed off a little shyly.

“So …” she echoed, a few butterflies beginning to take up residence in her stomach. She had no idea what it was about this man that made her feel this way, but from the way he was looking at her, she was pretty sure that he was feeling it, too.

Before either of them could continue the conversation, however, Lois felt herself begin to yawn. She covered her mouth quickly, but it was too late.

Clark smiled. “I guess it’s going to be an early night for all of us.”

“I’m sorry,” she said, laughing as she yawned again. “I guess I had kind of an early morning.”

“Because I kept you up late talking last night,” he finished amicably. He rose from the sofa and reached for her hand to help her up. “Come on, I’ll carry your bag up to your room.”

Lois squeezed his hand as they walked back into the kitchen to retrieve her suitcase, deliberately not letting go, and felt her heart flutter when he squeezed back. “So am I going to be in your room again?”

“Yup. Just like last time. I hope that’s OK?”

“Oh, Clark, it’s fine. I just hate that you don’t get to sleep in your own bed. Why don’t you let me take the couch? There’s no reason for you to give up your room.”

“Absolutely not. And I don’t mind at all. I can sleep anywhere, and this way you get your privacy.”

“Are you sure?” she asked doubtfully as they walked up the stairs.

“Completely,” he promised as they reached the door to his room. “Besides, I’ll probably be getting up early to help Dad with the chores, and this way we won’t wake you up.”

“What, you aren’t going to ask me to help?” she asked playfully. “Don’t think I’d be much use in the barn?”

The corners of his mouth twitched. “Be careful; I just might take you up on that. Bring any ‘mucking out the stalls’ clothes?”

“Darn, I knew I forgot something,” she responded with a snap of her fingers. “And here I’d just gotten them back from the cleaner after my last mucking job, too.”

“Pity. I guess you have no choice but to sleep in.”

They stood in the hallway grinning at each other for a long moment, but their smiles slowly faded as they realized that there was no getting around the inevitable. “Well …” Lois said regretfully, leaning against the door frame.

“Well …” Clark echoed.

“I guess this is goodnight.”

He blew out a slow breath. “Yeah.”

“I’ll see you in the morning,” she said softly.

“Definitely,” he whispered, even as he took a half step towards her, his gaze flickering to her mouth. “Lois?”

The butterflies began swirling in anticipation, just from the look in his eyes. “Yes?” she answered, already a bit breathless. Like earlier in the root cellar, there was no mistaking his intentions, and it was all she could do not to throw herself into his arms.

Before she could do so, however, the sudden sound of a door opening down the hall caused Lois to startle, and she looked up to see Martha coming out of her room. “Oh, Lois; good, you’re here. I was just coming down to tell you that I put a second blanket on the foot of the bed for you, in case you get cold. It can get a bit chilly in the house at night. Do you think two blankets will be enough?”

Lois gave a little laugh, trying to gather her scattered thoughts. Twice, she’d been sure Clark was going to kiss her, and twice, they’d been interrupted by his parents. If she hadn’t enjoyed her evening so much, it would be enough to make her wish they’d stayed in Metropolis. “Two blankets should be fine, Martha, thank you,” she managed. “I brought some warm pajamas to sleep in, so I should be OK.”

“Well, if you do get cold, there are extra blankets in the linen closet. Feel free to help yourself.”

“Thanks.”

“Well, goodnight, then. You, too, Clark,” his mother called brightly as she disappeared back into her room.

He was rubbing the back of his neck, his cheeks a little pink. “Night, Mom.”

As the door closed and they were alone again, Lois couldn’t help but giggle. Twenty-seven years old and she could still be made to feel like a teenager who been caught by her boyfriend’s mom. And from the way Clark was shaking his head in amusement, she could tell he was getting the same image.

Taking pity on him and knowing the moment had passed, Lois took her suitcase out of his hand and rose up on her tiptoes to give him a lingering kiss on the cheek. “Goodnight, Clark,” she said warmly, stepping back into the room. “See you in the morning.”

He beamed. “Goodnight, Lois.” And with that, he disappeared back down the stairs.