Print Thread
#259838 12/08/14 08:04 AM
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Hi all,

I was just reading the first part to Kathy B.'s "Winter Wonderland," and I got to thinking. Clark implies that the star he gave Lois for her Christmas tree at the end of SG came from outer space via Superman. But given Superman's limitations as mentioned in ASU, he couldn't have gone very far into outer space. So... Where is the star really from? If its origin is, in fact, extra-terrestrial, how did Clark fashion it into a star?

Christmas vignette, anyone?

Joy,
Lynn

Top Banana
Top Banana

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
M
Columnist
Columnist
M
I always assumed that he went into a high orbit and grabbed a space rock, then worked it into a star shape. One of the recurring meteor showers every year is in November; maybe he grabbed a piece before it burned up.

"It is a remarkable dichotomy. In many ways, Clark is the most human of us all. Then...he shoots fire from the skies, and it is difficult not to think of him as a god. And how fortunate we all are that it does not occur to him." -Batman (in Superman/Batman #3 by Jeph Loeb)
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Annie, what interesting jewelry; I've never seen anything like it. It would be the perfect gift for a female astronomer.

Mrs. Mxy., it has been a long time since I saw the show; did the star look like it was made of some kind of polished rock? Wouldn't it have had to have been much lighter than a rock in order to be able to have the tree support its weight?

I guess it's time to go back and rewatch the show's ending. (Darn, darn. ;-) )

Joy,
Lynn

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
If I recall properly, it looked more like a glass star.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
I just rewatched the scene. Honestly, it looks to me like the sort of ornament one might find in a dollar store. It looks more like glittery plastic than anything else, but I might be able to buy that it was space stone that was primarily mica. (Mica, is, after all, both glittery and light. I don't know how common it is in outer space but, all he would need would be one piece.) As I said, I could buy that it was mica; but then again, I could also buy (for the purposes of enjoying the show) that a man can fly... (It doesn't look terribly like mica, but that's the best I can come up with.)

Virginia, I could sort of see it being frosted glass, except that I would think that the tiny tree would have bent under the weight of that much frosted glass.

I still think it looks like a plastic gewgaw one would buy at a Dollar Store; maybe there's such a store on the space station, and he bought it there? ;-)

Joy,
Lynn

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by Lynn S. M.
I still think it looks like a plastic gewgaw one would buy at a Dollar Store; maybe there's such a store on the space station, and he bought it there? ;-)
lol

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.

Moderated by  bakasi, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard