Illusions of Grandeur - Matchmaker Style

Rated PG-13

* * denotes emphasis
< > denotes thoughts
As always comments are welcome. (ken.janney@kjanney.com)

Previously:

Lois and Clark were in the Jeep following Rose as she drove her aging sedan to the ‘house’ as she called it. As they drove through the gate and got a glimpse of the mansion that sat in the middle of the grounds, Lois quipped, “So ... this is the other half that I've heard so much about. This place even puts Luthor’s penthouse to shame.”

After they parked, Rose led them to the back lawn and the area that the boys had been playing in. She went into the house to retrieve the note.

While they waited, Lois spotted some statuary and flippantly, picking up a small statue and waving it around said, “I'll bet this is worth enough that it could pay our rent for a few months.”

Clark looked at it and replied, “More like buy a small home in the suburbs. It's a Remington bronze.”

Quickly, but carefully Lois placed the statue back on the pedestal she had removed it from, being careful not to drop it.

She quickly stepped away lest she knock it over and stood close to Clark as they saw Rose coming toward them accompanied by a boy with curly hair and glasses.

Clark greeted him, “Hey, you must be, Chris.”

Chris was almost literally holding onto Rose’s skirt as evidence of how scared he was and he just nodded his agreement to Clark.

Looking down at Chris Rose reassured him, “It's okay. They're going to help us find Nicky.”

Chris looked at Clark and said, “My daddy is coming home and he'll take care of it.”

Trying to win him over, Clark said, “I know he will. But until he comes back we're going to see what we can do.”

Rose handed the note to Lois and she read it aloud, “'I have your son. If you want to see him alive again, bring five million dollars to Hobs River Carnival at midnight tomorrow. Come alone. No authorities, or the boy will be ...'” Lois just couldn’t finish reading it so Clark used his supervision to finish reading it to himself.

Lois turned to Chris and asked, “You were with Nick when this happened?”

Chris nodded in response.

Seeing his nod, Lois asked, “Can you tell us what you saw?”

Chris started describing what he had seen, “It was a magic box, with moons and stars.”

Lois looked at Rose for confirmation.

Rose said, “He has a pretty active imagination.”

Lois didn’t get that feel from Chris so she followed up, “What did it look like? What color was it?”

“Black and shiny. Nick got in and then he disappeared. That’s all.”

Clark conferred with Lois, “He sounds sincere, but he might be blocking out something, traumatic.”

Lois replied, “I think he believes that’s what he saw.”

Unexpectedly they were interrupted. “What’s going on here?”

Turning around they saw Mr. and Mrs. Moskal coming out of the house. Both look tired from long hours of travel and worried about the situation.

Mrs. Moskal, with a sound of relief in her voice cried, “Christopher!” and kneeling held out her arms. Chris ran to her and she enfolded him in her arms.

Mr. Moskal was distracted and put his hand on Chris’s head by way of greeting before turning to Rose and asking, “Rose, are you all right? Mary Frances and I were so worried.”

Standing, Mrs. Moskal moved over and demonstrated that there was more than an employer/employee relationship when she gave Rose a hug.

Mr. Moskal had been watching this and then turned his attention to Lois and Clark, “Who exactly are you?”

Clark replied, “We’re from the Daily Planet. Rose asked us …”

Mr. Moskal cut him off saying, “The note said no authorities.”

Lois stepped in, “We haven’t told the police.”

Clark added, “Although I think we should. They can only help and …”

Again, Mr. Moskal cut him off, “No, absolutely not.”

Rose pleaded with Lois and Clark, “Please, you promised.”

Convinced that his word would be final, Mr. Moskal said, “I intend to pay the ransom in full and get the boy back and if the two of you do anything to jeopardize the safety of …”

Lois interrupted, “Believe me, Mr. Moskal, we want to see Nick back safe and sound.

Clark added, “But we also want to make sure this doesn't keep happening to children all over Metropolis.”

Mr. Moskal was becoming angry that these ‘people’ were challenging his authority and it showed in his voice as he said, “That's not my problem right now.”

Mrs. Moskal, trying to be the mediator said, “I think we could use some time alone right now. We'll take care of Rose and Nick, but thank you for your concern.

Lois and Clark looked at Rose and saw that it would be a dead end to pursue the point so they turned to leave.

It was getting late so rather than return to the Planet they headed to the dojo for their weekly karate class.

And Now

Chapter 3

The next day, when Lois and Clark returned to the newsroom Lois had immediately started making calls while Clark had started doing a computer search and some additional calls.

Clark could hear the frustration in Lois’s voice as she was wrapping up her latest call, “Yes, I understand. Thank you.”

As she hung up, Clark approached her desk and she asked, “Anything?”

Clark’s reply didn’t hold any promise at all, “Stymied.”

Lois vented her frustration by slamming her desk drawer closed and said, “I hate that word and I hate that feeling.”

Clark reported, “The police won't discuss any of the other kidnappings and the other victim's parents want to help but won't go on the record.”

Lois summed up her feelings, “It's like knowing there's an answer behind a door but not being able to unlock it.”

Clark demonstrated just how well he knew his wife when he said, “Being out of the loop.”

Nodding, Lois said, “Drives me crazy.”

Trying to lighten the mood and also propose a different direction to attack the problem, Clark said, “I think this calls for a little magic.”

Lois looked at him warily and watched closely.

Clark slowly held up his hands, pulled up his sleeves and turned his hands around a couple of times as he said, “Observe, there is nothing up my sleeve except my arms.” He shifted to superspeed and pulled a card from his back pocket. Before the movement could even register on Lois’s retinas his hands were back before her and the card was in one of them making it look as if it had magically appeared from thin air. “Ta-da!”

Lois gave him a look and took the card. After reading it she said, “I am not going to Cat’s party.”

Realizing that Lois wasn’t seeing the connection, Clark said, “It’s for charity. Besides, it could be our only lead.”

Grumpily, Lois replied, “We don’t have a lead.”

In a more upbeat tone that Lois believed was warranted, Clark said, “Sure we do. Don't you remember what Chris Moskal said? He saw a magic box. Maybe a magician's involved.”

That didn’t help Lois’s grumpy mood any. She said, “That’s not a lead, that’s a desperate cry for help.”

Clark decided to play on Lois’s emotions, “Don’t you want to help Rose?”

Lois felt a little insulted at the insinuation and responded, “Yes, of course I do, but …” Lois’s fears were warring with her reason. She had a fundamental fear of the unknown and magic was the realm of secrets. How could she explain this to Clark without seeming petty or afraid?

Clark challenged, “But what?”

His challenge went unanswered.

After work they went home to change.

That night, as they exited the cab in front of the Magic Club Lois was wearing a lacy black creation which fit her curves like a second skin and had a deeply scooped neckline which revealed a lot of cleavage. The dress was of a medium length, below the knee, but was slit up the back to allow freedom of movement. She had chosen not to wear any necklace which allowed an unobstructed view of her creamy skin and her long and what Clark thought of as a very kissable, neck.

Clark was dressed in a tuxedo with an old fashioned wing collar and a black bow tie.

Just as Lois was turning around to finish a comment she had been making to Clark as they had finished their ride, Lois said, reluctantly, “I hate magic, that’s what.” She looked at Clark. When she did a magician behind her startled her into turning around when he threw up his hands which were covered with a red scarf and produced a live white pigeon which fluttered its wings in her face.

Startled, Lois let out a “Gaaaa!” and backed away a look of fear on her face. In turning away from the magician she had put her back to the clubhouse.

Clark was enjoying her discomfiture as she started back-peddling toward the building almost running into Cat in the process. He asked, “How can you hate magic?”

Regaining her composure somewhat, Lois put her hands on her hips and said, “This is above and beyond the call of duty.”

Cat had spotted Lois and Clark and snuck up behind Lois and said, “Abracadabra,” and was very pleased when Lois actually jumped.”

Rounding on her, Lois was ready to release a scathing tirade, but was stopped by Cat’s appearance. Cat was wearing a very conservative white outfit with padded shoulders, a high neckline and sheath skirt that reached to mid calf. She had on white gloves, held a white clutch purse and had her hair done up in a bun.

Lois quipped, “Princess Di have a garage sale?”

Cat was literally so happy she was beside herself and let Lois’s barb pass. She said, “Arthur sent a limo for me. He’s introducing me to his mother tonight.” Just then the limo pulled up and Cat hastened toward it, she turned as she was about to enter and said, “Uh, Perry and Jimmy are already inside. Enjoy!” She gave a final wave and disappeared into the limo. Clark waved back as Lois turned away with a sour expression.

As the limo pulled away, Clark offered Lois his arm and asked, “Ready?”

Resigned to her fate, taking his arm, Lois asked a rhetorical question, “Do I have a choice?”

As they headed for the doorway another magician appeared, this one was holding a burning torch which he had been bringing to his mouth and swallowing the flames. This time, as Lois and Clark passed he appeared to grab the flames and throw them up into the air where they exploded like a fire cracker.

Lois shied away coming up hard against her husband’s body. Clark kept them walking while he chuckled.

Inside the club, Perry and Jimmy were watching a demonstration of hypnosis. The operator had a young female subject sitting in a chair. She apparently was already under hypnosis because she had her eyes closed and the operator was giving her commands.

Perry said, “Aw, this is bunk. Let’s go back to the séance.”

Jimmy did his best to stop him, “No, wait. This is interesting.”

The placard read, ‘Dr. Andrew Novak – Hypnotist’

Dr. Novak addressed his subject, “Still relaxed, still listening to the sound of my voice. Now lift your right hand.”

The subject raised her right hand in response to the command.

Seeing the response, Dr. Novak commanded, “Higher.”

When she complied, he said, “Good. Whenever you hear me say the words 'thank you' you will raise your hand over your head like you just did. When I count down and snap my fingers, you will awake refreshed. Five, four, three, two, one.” After the count of ‘one’ he snapped his fingers and his subject opened her eyes and looked around.

Dr. Novak with a showman’s flair addressed the audience and said, “Let’s have a nice round of applause for the young lady. Thank you.”

As soon as he said, ‘Thank you.’ Right on cue, the young lady raised her hand in the same gesture she had while asleep. She was mystified at her own action and looked at Dr. Novak.

He smiled in response.

Jimmy nudged Perry and said, “See, it works.”

Perry waved the hand that was holding his drink and said, “Jimmy, don't be naive. That woman was an obvious plant.”

Dr. Novak obviously overheard Perry’s comment because he said, “A skeptic, ladies and gentlemen. Perhaps you would do us the favor of being my next subject.”

The audience appreciated the audacious challenge and applauded.

Perry, embarrassed, said, “No, not me.”

Jimmy encouraged him, “Go ahead, Chief. Prove him wrong.”

Perry was very obviously a skeptic and shaking his head he moved to the front where the chair stood. As he was sitting down, Perry said, “Don't be disappointed if nothing happens. I'm a very strong-willed individual.” Once he was seated comfortably, Perry reached down and placed his glass of wine on the floor beside the chair. Bringing his hand back up he rested his forearms on the chair arms.

Dr. Novak removed an old fashioned gold pocket watch from his pocket and held it by the chain. Using his fingers to roll the chain he lowered the watch so that it was in Perry’s field of vision and caused it to twirl. Once Perry’s attention was centered on the twirling watch, Dr. Novak spoke in a monotone, “See the watch, only the watch. Hear my voice, only my voice. Breathe and relax, in and out. When I count to five you will close your eyes. One, two, three, four, five.”

Jimmy was actually surprised when in obedience to the command, Perry’s eyes actually closed.

Dr. Novak had also observed this action and said, “Excellent. The subject is now ready. All I need now is a post-hypnotic suggestion. Anybody?”

Smiling a mischievous smile, Jimmy raised his hand and said, “Yeah, I’ve got one.”

Lois and Clark had opted to go to the main room, bypassing the séance, hypnotism demonstration and others. Upon entering, they did not immediately take seats at a table, but stood near the back and observed for a second until they were led to a table.

From the sound of Clark’s voice, Lois could tell that he was impressed by who they were going to be seeing. He said, “Look, it's Darren Romick, the world’s greatest illusionist.”

Lois was unimpressed, but was curious, “Now, how did you know that?”

With a smile, he pointed at an entry in the program and said, “See, it says so, right here.”

Lois snorted and said, “Well, I’m not buying it,” then she went on as if stating the obvious, “Illusion, Clark, as in trick, as in phony.”

With some enthusiasm he countered, “Lois, he made the Eiffel Tower disappear. That does require some kind of talent.”

Still unimpressed and cynical to boot, Lois replied, “Big deal. Wires, mirrors, trap doors. They all have their little secrets.”

As if the dawn had suddenly broken, Clark said, “Oh. Now I get it.”

“Get what?”

“Why you don’t like magic! Or masquerades.”

With a disbelieving smile, Lois said, “Oh, do tell.”

“It drives you crazy not to be in on the secret. You always have to know everything about everything.”

Lois had the feeling that Clark was talking about a particular secret, but replied in a general sense, “That's not true, I love to be surprised.” She thought about that for a second before she finished, “As long as I know about it in advance.”

Lois knew that he was teasing her as he continued, “Classic control freak behavior.”

Lois continued the banter, “Well, thank you Dr. Freud.”

Clark became somewhat more serious as he said, “Full disclosure, no stone left unturned. That's what makes you a good reporter, I guess.”

Lois returned to the bantering tone, “You guess?”

Clark turned philosophical as he said, “Life doesn't always have to go according to plan, Lois. That would be boring. We’ve seen that in the time we’ve been together.”

“Yes, I would have to agree, being with you, life is never boring. But why do we need magic? Our life is exciting enough without it.”

” I'm saying it could use a little mystery every once in a while, that's all.”

Their conversation was interrupted by the oooohs and aaaahs of the audience at the conclusion of the illusion that was being performed. Their attention was drawn to the stage where they actually saw Darren Romick for the first time. He was tall, somewhat overweight and wore his hair somewhat longer than current style dictated. He was in a tuxedo and had a ‘stage presence’ that couldn’t be denied. The audience was obviously enthralled by his performance.

He bowed to the audience and as he straightened again, held out his hand to the side of the stage and said, “Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. And now, for my final illusion I shall be calling, once again, on assistance from the lovely Constance.”

A beautiful blond wearing little more than a bathing suit as far as how much skin was covered came sparkling onto the stage. Sparkling because her costume was covered in spangles and she also had some ostrich plumes strategically placed to enhance the costume. Black fishnet stockings and the stiletto heels completed the ensemble.

Lois nudged Clark and said, “Eyes here buster. I know you have a weakness for blonds.”

He smiled and replied, “Ah, but my fatal weakness is for a certain brunette.”

While they had been talking, Romick had continued his announcement, “I'm going to need some help from the audience on this one, too. Feel free to call out as we go along. Now first, we're going to need an object from right here in this room. Anyone?”

In response there was a chorus of voices shouting the names of objects. After a few seconds of this Romick called a halt and said, “I heard table.” He pointed at a nearby table and said, “How about that one right there?” He stepped down from the stage, picked up the light from the center of the table and tossed it to Clark who caught it neatly. Then picking up the indicated table, lifted it, drinks and all onto the stage, surprising the patrons that had been sitting there.

Over his shoulder to the guests he asked, “You don’t mind, do you? In fact, why don’t the two of you just bring your chairs and sit right up here on the stage.” He turned to Constance and said, “Constance? Help the lovely couple, would you?”

Picking up their chairs the couple followed Constance onto the stage.

Once they were settled, Romick announced, “Next I need a dead animal.”

Again there were shouts from the audience. Romick listened, apparently until he heard what he wanted to hear and then said, “Did I hear … rat?”

The audience displayed their displeasure at this by booing.

Romick again stepped down off of the stage and into the audience and started looking around. As he searched he continued his patter, “We must have a special telepathy tonight folks because I believe there's one in here somewhere. Could you all just check under your tables please? Oh! Okay, here's one. It's not a rat but it's close.”

To everyone’s surprise he lifted up a mink stole from a woman in the audience. He looked at it and back to the owner and asked, “Mink, right? You don’t mind if I borrow this for a few minutes, do you?” At her nod of agreement he said, “Great.”

As if there was a never ending supply of props backstage, Constance went into the wings and returned with a coat rack. Romick handed the mink to her and she placed it on the coat rack. He turned back to the owner and asked, “Real fur?”

The owner nodded in agreement and Romick shook his head and said, “You know, some people can get really militant about that. I hear they splatter paint all over these things.” Turning back to the owner he asked, “You're not worried are you? I mean, it's only a trick, right? Boy, are you naive. Next, I need a [b]live/b]animal. Okay, a live animal that you'd like to see at a zoo or on a farm.”

Again, Romick cupped his hand over his ear and listened as the names of animals were shouted out. There were calls of kangaroo, hippopotamus, giant panda as well as others. Romick allowed the shouts to continue until he heard what he wanted to hear. Finally he called a halt and said, “Giant Panda, too easy. Oh, oh, did I hear cow? Now you're challenging me. Constance, any chance of a Guernsey?”

Disappearing into the wings briefly, Constance quickly reappeared with a cow on a tether.

Seeing this Romick continued his patter, “What do you know?! Telepathy folks. Now, clearly I have no control over these items. There has been no prearrangement and surely no trap door can possibly accommodate all of them at once, so what I'm about to do is ... truly impossible. Unless, of course, you believe in magic. Okay, we have a table and a lovely couple, a mink, cousin of the rat, stole and Sarah the cow.”

Returning to the stage, Romick put his hand on her flank ad addressed the cow, “Sarah, did you bring enough cud for us?” The cow mooed in reply. Turning back to the audience he said, “Okay, I could not possibly have known what these objects were going to be.”

As Romick continued speaking a giant four-sided curtain emblazoned with moons and stars was lowered from the overhead and he guided it down so that all were enclosed in it. He said, “Now, what I am about to do is completely and utterly impossible. Unless of course you believe … in … magic. All it takes is a little imagination.”

As they were doing this, Lois nudged Clark and said, “Clark, look at that curtain. Isn't that what Christopher described to us?”

Nodding, Clark agreed, “Sure looks like it.”

Romick was continuing his patter, “Now, I need to kill some time so I think I’ll have a cup of Joe.”

Constance, ever ready with the props handed him a cup.

He looked at it and said in a disappointed tone, “Black. I really …” He said, “Hey, hey, hey, Sarah …” He reached in through a flap and said, “Give it up now, give it up.” When he pulled the cup out he took a sip and apparently savored his beverage. He held the cup up and as he inverted it he shouted, “Gone!”

As he did there were three flashes and pillars of smoke. The curtain disappeared along with the couple at the table, the mink and the cow.

“And that, my friends, is the mystery of the magic box.” Romick started taking his bows.

As he did, Lois said to Clark, “Well, you were right about one thing.”

Clark was amazed and it took him a second to respond, “What’s that?”

With a smirk, Lois said, “We’ve got a lead.”

comments go here

TBC

Last edited by KenJ; 12/02/14 12:23 PM.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj