Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
In Tempus, Anyone?, Lois, Alt-Clark, and Herb Wells have a discussion in the conference room of the Daily Planet in which Lois and Wells tells Alt-Clark that they are from another dimension.

Here's the scene from the Script:
CLARK
So. Perry says you want to do an expose on Tempus.

LOIS
Yeah, but first we have to talk about us.

CLARK
Us?

LOIS
Well, you actually. For instance... how many people know you're from another planet?

CLARK
What.

LOIS
Or that you can bend steel in your bare hands, leap tall buildings in a single bound -- ?

CLARK
Hey, keep your voice down...

LOIS
(complying)
That you came here as a baby, in a spaceship --

CLARK
(to himself)
Oh, God, Lana said this was gonna happen...

LOIS
-- you were found by the Kents and raised in Smallville, Kansas --

CLARK
(self)
I didn't listen.

LOIS
-- but from there, I'm sure things get different because --

CLARK
(to Lois)
Okay, just tell me: Are you from the government?

Lois and Wells chuckle at the notion.

WELLS
Certainly not, my boy.

LOIS
No, we're from another dimension.

Clark just looks at them.

INT. DAILY PLANET - BULLPEN DAY 24B

Lois, Clark and Wells emerge from the conference room. Wells trailing behind, fine-tuning a nearly-finished tracker.

CLARK
I'm sorry, I just... I have a lot of trouble believing all this.

LOIS
What? That Tempus is a criminal? That he's H.G. Wells or that we're from a parallel Metropolis?

CLARK
No, that this other me flies around in tights.

LOIS
Well, your Mom made them...

CLARK
My Mom?

LOIS
Martha Kent.

CLARK
But the Kents died when I was ten.

They stop.

LOIS
Oh, Clark, I'm sorry... Who raised you?

CLARK
I kind of bounced around.
(off her look)
It's okay, it was a long time ago, I'm fine.

LOIS
Are you?

A moment. They look at each other.

CLARK
This is the weirdest feeling. I know I shouldn't talk to you, I _know_ I should just walk away but...

LOIS
What?

CLARK
(studying her)
... I can't.
As you can tell the scene was broken into two parts by an advertisement break. Lois has clearly told Alt-Clark about her Clark being from another planet, his abilities, the Kents, and being Superman. What else has she told him about her Clark's history?

I'm curious what you think she would consider important enough to tell Alt-Clark about what happened during S1-S3 and what wasn't.

Last edited by VirginiaR; 11/25/14 03:49 PM. Reason: clarification

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by LWhite
But I guess that maybe comes a little too close to talking about Bureau 39 and all of the crazy people who have hated Superman, which are things she probably wouldn’t want to bring up. I imagine that she would also skim over a lot of the groupie-like behaviour from early in the series, because that’s sort of embarrassing to bring up (“Yeah, and I used to have this pyjama top with his ’S' on it.”) and maybe also some of the more personal or romantic aspects of their relationship - it would seem weird to tell him about that, I think.
Good point. She knows he's engaged to another woman and she did kiss alt-Clark after all, so I'm sure Lois explains that away by mentioning that she's engaged to her Clark. That's exactly what I was wondering. HOW much of the bad stuff (Lex Luthor, B39, Intergang, Vatman, etc.) and the history of Superman would she have told him? I think you've raised a good point that mentioning the bad stuff (other than Tempus) would DIScourage Clark from wanting to help out, instead of ENcourage him from becoming Superman.

Apparently, she glossed over (or forgot to mention) Kryptonite, because he seemed pretty surprised when Tempus brings it out during the debate.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Top Banana
Top Banana
Originally Posted by VirginiaR
Good point. She knows he's engaged to another woman and she did kiss alt-Clark after all, so I'm sure Lois explains that away by mentioning that she's engaged to her Clark.
At his apartment, later, when she gets her purse out and shows him the pictures, he doesn't know they are engaged. She holds up her ring in answer to his question .. "is this 'us'?" "are we ...?"

I think that the 'missing' conversation actually doesn't need to be that long or complicated. Clark is clearly going to ask how she knows all this and she will say that they are partners and best friends in the other universe ... also - kind of - explaining the kiss. Best friends can sometimes be very affectionate without being romantic.

At this point Clark would say - "That explains the kiss, but what what is this 'Superman' you mentioned?" (at the time she kissed him.) Then Lois explains that Superman is his 'public' face - spandex, etc ... but that Superman is such a different personality to Clark that no-one knows they are the same.

At no point has Lois mentioned any super-villains or problems or Kryptonite, and not mentioned his parents either.

*shrugs* I always saw it as being as simple as that.

Now, considering that Lana tells Clark they are meeting her parents at seven and I thinks it's possibly afternoon at the time there is actually a few hours to fill, though. Even though the above conversation is pretty simple, there is still a lot of detail needed to explain it to Clark properly - such as 'how are they partners?/Lois didn't die so is still working at the Planet', expansion of what Superman is/does (disaster relief, stop crime, hope, justice etc)

There is still the matter of Tempus ... it's not clear at what point Lois explained who Tempus was. All we saw - up to this point - was that her excuse for teaming up with Clark was to do an 'expose of Tempus'. She may have mentioned that it was Tempus who stranded her and Wells in this universe, but if she'd gone into more detail of who he was and the kind of villainy he gets up to then I don't think Clark would have left her as easily when Lana came to get him.

Just my rambling thoughts. And not very well put together as my hubby keeps interrupting me with comments about what he's watching on the TV. grin

KatherineKent/Victoria
Lois: "You put up with me for the same reason I put up with you. It's because I'm completely in love with you."
Clark: "And I love you ... Did we just make up?"
Lois: "I think so."

Moderated by  bakasi, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard