Band of Blue TOC

Chapter 4

“Perry, I need to ask you about the new guy.” Lois strode into the editor’s office. Perry sighed. She was without boundaries, Lois Lane.

“What new guy, Lane?” he asked.

“Clark Kent, you put him opposite me.”

“Ah, Clark. Yes, he’s new but I didn’t put him opposite you. That would be HR that just assigned him to a spare desk.”

“Well, he cut out yesterday after just five minutes. Are you sure he’s up for hardnosed journalism?”

“Lois, he’s got a snappy, punchy style and a real nose for a story. I’ve seen his work. If he left, if was for a reason.”

“Some reason,” she mumbled, “An appointment! He didn’t even say what. Dentist? Hospital? Psychiatrist?”

“Lois, he’s good, it may even have been an appointment with a source. Now that’s quick work. Five minutes and he’s on his first story already.”

Lois thought over Perry’s words and nibbled at her lip. Maybe he’s right. I might be putting a negative slant on this because I’m trying to deny my attraction to his ... Lois looked down at the carpet and sighed. I may even have real competition for stories if Perry’s right. She looked back up to Perry and found herself asking a question. Her mind was horrified that her mouth was speaking but she couldn’t stop it coming out.

“Perry? Was he here on Monday morning?”

Perry looked up at Lois and started to mentally note these strange reactions she was having to the new guy. “Why, yes, Lois” he smiled cheerily. “He left his interview around 9:30am.”

Lois felt her heart skip a beat. Proof. She had her proof. Boy did she feel stupid now. Falling for a cute ass that happened to belong to a hack farm boy from Smallville. As Lois left Perry’s office she repeated that mantra to herself.

Smallville. Never want to go there, never gonna go there. Smallville.

It was the truth. That town was just not her style. She just needed to convince herself that the hunky farm boy was also not her style.

Smallville. Not my style.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Perry pondered over Lois’ reaction to Clark once she left his office. She’d left in the same way she arrived; no announcement, no courtesies, just impulse. She seemed confused about Clark, not sure what to make of him. Well, as they had fortuitously ended up next to each other in the basement maybe he should take advantage of that; give them plenty of opportunities to get to know each other. Perry respected Clark’s talent and drive. It had been made obvious to him during his time in Smallville chasing silly stories of freaks. It had also been the thing to draw him back into serious journalism. He wanted Lois to respect Clark just as much. Lois was a great reporter but she needed to learn a little humility and it might come if she learned to respect someone like Clark.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Clark walked down the stairs to the basement and saw Lois bending over her desk reaching for something that must have rolled away. He paused at the bottom step and watched. Her wavy, luscious brown hair was tumbling forwards over her face and she had lifted one foot up and out behind to help her reach further. Clark once again considered the length of the skirt Lois was wearing and immediately felt the heat behind his eyes. Squeezing them shut, tightly, immediately he realised that his Dad was right. Thoughts of Lois were setting off his heat vision. Not good. How was he going to avoid thinking about her when he sat opposite her all day?

He tentatively opened his eyes again and breathed a sigh of relief when nothing happened. Lois was sitting back in her chair and the temptation had lowered. Clark strolled over to his desk.

“Morning Lois,” he said nervously. He still didn’t really know her and was embarrassed about his reactions to her already. She glanced up at him in shock.

“Smallville,” she called him and smiled. “The boss must really like you.” She paused, “or maybe hate you.” Again she paused, “or maybe hate me, cause he’s assigned us a story together.”

Clark’s eyes widened in shock. He’d have to figure out control soon if he was going to be working closely with her. “Really, what’s the story?”

“There’s a press conference on Monday, being given by LutherCorp’s new CEO. We are to cover it.”

“Monday, right.” Clark nodded, relieved at being given time.

Lois sighed. Rookie, she thought. “We have research to do before then,” she pointed out. “Who is she? How did she take over? What happened to Lex?”

“Oh, right Lois, good idea. Work up a background and history.”

“Good, farm boy,” Lois replied sarcastically. Clark couldn’t help but smile at her. She felt her heart skip a beat but flatly refused to acknowledge it. “Don’t fall for me farm boy. I don’t have time for it.”

Clark frowned. Fall for Lois. I may be having fiery thoughts about her body but that’s as far as it goes.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Clark’s research on Lex brought memories to the surface. He took off his glasses and laid them down. Rubbing his eyes he found his heart filled with sadness over the descent of his once best friend. He remembered the good times but then he remembered the changes. The way Lex had let his father’s approval become the centre of his ambition. He reached out for his glasses and put them back on. It was an instinct now. He had worn glasses for so long that it felt strange not to have them on. He needed to find a realistic explanation for why he no longer needed them.

Lois stared across the desk. Why, why does he wear glasses? Her heart was in her mouth. A face like that should not be hidden behind glasses, he should get contact lenses.

“Urgh,” she muttered and shook her head. “That’s it, time for lunch. Smallville, you can take me and we’ll compare notes.” Clark immediately got up and reached for his jacket.

“That sounds like a good idea.”

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Strolling along, outside, Lois made it clear that she was in charge of this partnership.

“Let’s get one thing clear. You work for me, I do all the talking, you are low man, I am Top Dog. Got it?”

“Got it Lois, you like to be on top.” Clark couldn’t help himself from responding. He needed to assert himself in this partnership or she’d think him a pushover.

As they passed an entrance to a small alley Clark heard Lois scream. He had walked ahead of her a little and when he turned back he saw her being dragged into the alley. Clark saw the gun in the man’s hand. He knew he could help now with his new-found abilities but how would he explain it to Lois when he didn’t understand it himself.

The man let go of Lois’ arm and pushed her to the floor then changed his grip on the gun to two-handed. He pointed it straight at Lois and demanded her purse. Lois stood up slowly, glaring at the mugger. Was this Clark’s first glance at Mad Dog Lane? Lois reached up to her shoulder to grab her handbag strap but as she pretended to remove it she, instead, kicked out with her leg. The gun went sliding down the alley and the robber ran off after it. Clark ran up to Lois.

“Why did you do that? He could have shot you. Were the contents of your handbag really worth it?”

“You stupid woman,” came an angry reply from behind Clark. Lois’ eyes widened and Clark turned to see the mugger back with his gun. The gun fired. Clark shut his eyes and turned back to Lois, shielding her as best he could. He felt something hit his back, like a little sting, and Lois screamed. Clark turned his head back and saw the robber running off.

Lois was panting hard. “Clark, what happened?”

“He tried to shoot you. He must have missed.”

“I thought ... It looked like he got you!” she said, wild eyed, still breathing rapidly.

Clark smiled at her. “I didn’t know you cared.” There, he’d given her back a line, he was in the game.

She punched him in the arm. “How can you joke at a time like this?” she said.

“Sorry. I guess he missed me too.” But Clark could still feel the little sting in his back.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Clark ran home after work. Super-speed was fast becoming his new favourite thing in the whole world. He thought about his day with Lois. It had been remarkable. His reaction to her had swung from attracted to annoyed to teasing to protection. She was brash and a little rude, but there was something also honest and ... real ... about her. As he let his day with Lois sink in he realised he had taken a wrong turn and was heading straight towards the river without a bridge to cross. Instinctively he jumped and found himself soaring through the air. He looked back and down at the ground and his eyes widened in shock. He landed with a massive crack making the ground radiate ripples around for a short way. I leapt that high, he thought, looking upwards, and smiled in wonder. He set off running again and practiced leaping along the way. It was exhilarating.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

He came through the door into the kitchen and saw his Mom baking. He went over to her and kissed her on the cheek.

“Hi Mom.”

“Hi, sweety,” she replied and smiled. “You seem to be in a good mood. The best since ... since ...”

“It’s okay, Mom. I’m coming to terms with it. In fact it’s pretty good.”

Martha’s smile dropped. “Well, er, something arrived today. I don’t know what to think of it. Maybe you should take a look.” She flicked her glance to the kitchen table.

Clark turned to look then frowned back at his Mom. There was a package on the table. He walked over, picked it up and read the address.

To the Star Child
Kent Farm
Smallville

Return Address: Dr Virgil Swann.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Comments belong over here.

KatherineKent/Victoria
Lois: "You put up with me for the same reason I put up with you. It's because I'm completely in love with you."
Clark: "And I love you ... Did we just make up?"
Lois: "I think so."