Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#259461 11/20/14 12:14 AM
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Reviews? What was the talent? wink

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Yea! hyper Mouse has returned! dance

Oh, what a fun insightful vignette. It just screams for a sequel. Perhaps a series of one shots of Lois trying to figure out *who* exactly Superman is.

Yes, being Superman for longer than it took to rescue someone has always been Clark's downfall. There's a part of him which forgets that he's not being Clark and let's down his guard. This was the absolutely wrong time to show it. In front of Lois no less. clap

Very fun, Mouse. More please. smile

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Kerth
Kerth
I never could get that cherry tying trick down! But I suppose if you were more specific with how talented Clark's tongue is, then the story would belong on the other side of the boards. devil It's always nice to see Lois using her brain, putting the clues together. thumbsup

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
Top Banana
Top Banana
You need to continue this. We need to see Lois figure it out now. Possibly even Clark shows off this trick at the next Daily Planet party, or Lois notices more things that Superman understands/knows that he shouldn't, and Clark does one (or more) of those.

Please.

KatherineKent/Victoria
Lois: "You put up with me for the same reason I put up with you. It's because I'm completely in love with you."
Clark: "And I love you ... Did we just make up?"
Lois: "I think so."
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
What a fun story.

Lois missed the most likely (although, obviously, incorrect) solution to the problem: Krypton had had a counterpart to cherries and Superman had learned the trick on his original planet. Or the next most likely one: He learned it here and practiced with super speed. But then again, that is Lois through and through: She does consistently come up with completely outrageous scenarios that just happen to be the right ones.

Now what I really want to know is what "Madame Blavatsky"/Perry told Superman as his fortune. Also, just where did *Clark* learn that trick?

Joy,
Lynn

Top Banana
Top Banana
Originally Posted by Lynn S. M.
Now what I really want to know is what "Madame Blavatsky"/Perry told Superman as his fortune.
Yes, me too. He came out smiling!

Also, just where did *Clark* learn that trick?
Again, me too. And Lois better be experiencing how good Clark is with his tongue soon, too.

KatherineKent/Victoria
Lois: "You put up with me for the same reason I put up with you. It's because I'm completely in love with you."
Clark: "And I love you ... Did we just make up?"
Lois: "I think so."
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
I never could do the cherry stem thing either. My tongue isn't that agile. That Superman can, however, speaks highly of his athleticism and manual dexterity. Maybe Kal-El would have been an exceptional athlete if Krypton hadn't exploded. After all, he picked up that Kryptonian staff skill from Ching pretty fast in S4 and defeated Nor with it.

I think the fact that he can converse with normal humans about their normal stuff is pretty impressive, too. Lois should have picked up on that earlier, but maybe now she'll start thinking about it.

Very original premise, Mouse. And now you, with Arnold, can categorically state, "I'm back!"

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
S
Columnist
Columnist
S
If Lois noticed that Superman knew the trick and by knowing the trick, it's social connotations, then she might wonder what he intended by leaving the cherry stem next to her.

Shallowford
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
clap clap Wonderful! I love it! clap clap

And thanks for answering the challenge! smile

This really does cry out for a sequel. I can just picture Lois trying to rope Clark into her investigation. laugh Either way, more please?

~•~
Kerth
Kerth
I love this little story. I actually re-read it very early this morning - before work, no less! Like the others, I'd love to see a sequel. Or a whole series of sequels. I'm not asking for much, am I?

And, as has been stated before now, I'd also love to know what kind of fortune Perry told "Superman". (A good horse is like a member of the family, maybe? He just might have overheard that conversation because he was working late, too.)

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi, Mouse! wave

His joy at the simple things was infectious.

Um, Lois? Does he look familiar in this moment?

He took a bite out of a strawberry-- and oh, that made Lois moan

You aren't the only one, Lois.

Then a second thought hit her.

Uh-oh!

Superman tied a knot in a cherry stem.

Clark!

Where did he learn that trick? When? From whom?

And will he show her just how uh, talented, his tongue is?

Perry’s booming laugh chasing him out.

Love this image.

“This is for your work!”

Run, Clark! Run!

Superman was a regular person. And Lois Lane was going to find out just who that person was.

As Clark might say: "Oh boy!"

Cute story! Good to see you around here!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hey, the mouse roars!

The more important question of course was how. How could he possibly have the time, in the last several months, to learn it, how would he learn unless he wasn’t with someone in a rescuing-capacity? How would he go unrecognized if that was the case? Sure, she could invent a scenario where he created an alternate persona in which he practiced human customs so as to come across as normal, or that he spent his off time he hung out at bars or with questionable associates. But there was occam’s razor. So, the simple answer to the question of how Superman, given his short time on this earth, would have the time and ability to learn such a peculiar talent?

Better duck Superman, Mad Dog Lane is tracking you down!

Oh yeah, the bit with Perry was a hoot!

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Thanks everybody for the reviews! I'm going to try and address them quickly yet detailed enough...

Virginia: Glad you liked it. Let me start out by saying this: I have made a promise to myself that until I *FINSIH ONE LONG WIP STORY* I will not start any other long stories. This is what happens to me. I will allow myself a one shot (or two), but I've gotta finish something because I've recently realized that I'm that author that I hate to read because I'm 19 chapters in and no ending in sight... That being said, I will consider coming back for another related one shot to this ficlet, because it was fun to write, and also I'm planning on wrapping up one story in the next couple of weeks. So you might get it as a reward. laugh

LWhite: Thanks! I agree with your points about Superman/Clark. If anybody thought about it too closely, they would find some odd ticks that Superman shouldn't have picked up on. I think though people would probably be too starstruck to notice that in most cases. I'll have to see if I add a brief little sequel or not.

Groobie: Haha, me neither! I am not coordinated in any sense. I left the details of cherry tying specifically vague. Although, it might be more fun to do it your way... devil wink

KatherineKent: Haha, I might do a follow up ficlet about Lois' discovery, or maybe just something from Clark's perspective. Have to wait and see. smile Again, I've gotta finish something first.

Lynn: I love your explanations! I can just picture the look on Lois' face if she went up to him with proof he was a human and Superman just brushed it off on "we-had-cherries-on-krypton" lol As for where Clark learned the trick... I dunno. I just figured, a bored teenage boy in the Midwest with super speed-- he'd find a way to figure it out. wink

Terry: Yeah, I actually don't know that many people who can tie a knot in a cherry stem... I'd certainly be impressed if Supes could do it. wink Like I said, if anyone took a moment to rethink Superman, they would find his story full of holes. Lois especially though should see through it, at least eventually. If I write a follow up, I might go into that.

Shallowford: I actually didn't consider that! I just thought of it as an absent minded thing, or perhaps something he was doing on a subconscious level. Maybe just being close to Lois would cause him to impulsively do that. Very interesting thought! Lois misinterpreting it could lead to some intriguing complications... laugh

Queenie: Thanks! Maybe I will do more. Eventually. Props goes to you for inspiring this though. hail

Lara: lol I would love for that to have been Perry's fortune! Would have been great... I doubt I'll include this scene in a follow up, so you can just imagine that's what he said, followed by awkwardness, gentle ribbing, and mutual understanding. smile

Deadly Chakram: Thanks for all your comments! It's good to be back, I missed it here. Life just has been super busy.

And will he show her just how uh, talented, his tongue is?
Giggity. wink

Morgana: Haha, thanks! Yeah, Clark needs to be on the lookout, but I doubt he even has a clue what to look for at this point. goofy

Thanks for reading once again, everybody! It's good to be back.

--Mark Twain
Top Banana
Top Banana
Tales of Dystopia is getting close?? All right!!

You mentioned somewhere that I can't find right now that it could be a number of stories in an arc, is that still the case or did you condense it down.

Just curious.

Mike

Create all the happiness you are able to create.
Remove all the misery you are able to remove.

Jeremy Bentham

Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Haha, Mike. lol Not so close on that one. I mean, it's all planned, but I'm not where I want to be quite yet in the writing process... and yes, it will be a couple of stories in that arc, I'm not very good at condensing things. goofy

The story I'm actually close on finishing is a Castle fic, probably only 3 chapters away. The Lois and Clark story that I'm currently hellbent on finishing is my anti-verse story. I'm on a roll with that one, but I also promised myself I wouldn't post it until I'm done/super close to done because I don't want to end up in this position again. But Tales of Dystopia I'm always trying to find time to work on, so don't worry too much. smile

--Mark Twain
Top Banana
Top Banana
Damn! You had me excited for a few minutes!

You mentioned we needed to keep poking you on this one so consider yourself poked...

Mike

Create all the happiness you are able to create.
Remove all the misery you are able to remove.

Jeremy Bentham

Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Haha, I will take the bait... goofy Yeah just keep reminding me and I'll get around with it sooner or later.

--Mark Twain
LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Late to the party on this one, but wanted to say Mouse how great of a story this was! What a fun idea--how something as random as tying a cherry with his tongue would be what gets Mad Dog Lane on Superman's case. You make such an excellent point though--if he's relatively new to Earth, something like this would no way be a priority or something he has picked up yet. Clark on the other hand? Can totally see him just randomly trying to challenge himself to figure it out.

I would love to see how Clark would react if Lois decided to tell him this new bit of Superman info rotflol

Great job smile
Laura

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I have to agree; I’d love to see a sequel! Lois has the thread, but where will it lead her?

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Mouse!
his excitement would slip through
Like when he sees the Superman action figures or the jewelry with the nice, green stones?

Some of the people offered him something, feeling star struck. Most times he refused, merely stating he was just curious. Other times, he’d accepted.
Like with the kissing booth?

He popped a whole cherry in his mouth, stem and all, and Lois briefly found herself wondering if he knew not to eat the stems.
Ooooh! Like in Wasted Revelations by BJ?

And yet he knew better than to eat the top of the strawberry earlier.
Maybe that’s because he’s got an aversion to bright green?

He’d been here for almost a year now, surely he’d picked up on some things.
Unfortunately, Lois is not amongst those.

Mr. Superman! Would you like to hear your future told?
Madam B: And you will marry a feisty brunette, but only after you have bared all.

Superman tied a knot in a cherry stem.
[Linked Image]

This wasn’t something he’d have picked up randomly in the last six months or so. It was something that would have taken knowledge, practice and experience, and it just wasn’t something an alien from outer space who also spends most of his time saving the world would have the time or care to learn.
Well, it works with the concubines back home?

Where did he learn that trick? When? From whom?
LINDA: wave

It meant he hadn’t arrived only a year ago, that he wasn’t just Superman. He had other experiences, another life that enabled him to learn human things, to live a normal life. To be a human.
[Linked Image]

Superman was a regular person. And Lois Lane was going to find out just who that person was.
hyper More, please! grovel

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard