Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#259452 11/19/14 05:02 PM
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Since a lot of us seem to have similar tastes in shows, and I always feel it's part of my duty to recommend the shows I like, I figured I'd toss this out there and see what bites. I recently started watching the show "Arrow" (seasons 1&2 are on Netflix) and I gotta say, I love it! It's got the dark/gritty feel that so many comic book adaptations are going for nowadays without losing the character or going overboard. I'm almost to the end of season 1 (so no spoilers), and so far it's great. It's not cheesy at all (hard for a superhero show, i.e. AoS) but it's still funny. Stephen Amell is easy on the eyes (do we no longer have the drool gremlin?). Although so far, Felicity is one of my favorite characters because she reminds me of me. laugh

Also, this has hands down some of the best casting I've ever seen. Appearance wise alone, it's awesome. The parent/child combos in particular are great (take a look at Tommy and his dad). Not to mention some great acting.

Anyway. Just seeing if anyone else has stumbled upon this gem of a show, or hoping maybe somebody takes my advice and gives it a try. It's not a whole lot like LnC, but give it a chance. smile

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I've been watching Arrow from the beginning and will be watching the new episode when it airs tonight.

I love Felicity as well. She quickly worked her way up to being my favorite character on the show. If you're a fan of Felicity there's an episode from the current season I think you'll enjoy. It's been my favorite of the series so far.

I don't know how far you've gotten into S1, so I won't go into any specifics, but enjoy watching the show. smile

"Who's asking? Clark... or Superman?"
Top Banana
Top Banana
Oh yeah. Arrow is great. A friend bought us Season 1 and my hubby and I watched it this July during my immediate recovery out of hospital. We then bought Season 2 when it came out in Sept. Season 3 is on episode 7 or something like that. It's fantastic.

I'm also loving the spin-off. Won't tell you what it is, in case you don't know...

KatherineKent/Victoria
Lois: "You put up with me for the same reason I put up with you. It's because I'm completely in love with you."
Clark: "And I love you ... Did we just make up?"
Lois: "I think so."
L
Columnist
Columnist
L
I'm a huge "Arrow" fan. It's probably my favorite TV show that's still on the air. My favorite character is Laurel. I actually met the actress that plays her at a convention over this past summer. Check this thread out if you want to see the couple of pictures I took with her.

Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
I'm at the very end of Season 1 as we speak. I wanted to start watching it from the beginning, but it was up against too many other shows or something, and I just missed it. The "spinoff" is what got me interested again, that and I caught an episode at one of my friend's place and now I'm hooked. My only thing right now is that I'm searching for the Black Canary. Because I know she's there, but she's not there yet, you know? You know if you know. :P

EDIT: Now I'm sad. That was one of my fave characters. frown

Last edited by Mouserocks; 11/20/14 12:02 AM. Reason: Just watched the end of Season 1

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I got hooked on Arrow last year when it arrived on Netflix's instant list and, since we don't have cable, had been waiting anxiously for S2 to be added. Now, sigh, I have to wait A WHOLE 'NOTHER YEAR for S3. lol Yes, it is addicting. I watched S1 through twice, or was it thrice? Lots of fun.

Very sad S1 cliffhanger. I said the very same thing as you. It's as though Jimmy were found dead when Superman escaped from the Kryptonite cage. I was like WHAT!?! No!

I enjoyed S2 as well, but zipped through them way too quickly. Interesting developments. I'll have to go back and watch them all over again (after I finish the latest season of Bones, S9 of Smallville lol ... I've got NCIS and Agents of Shield waiting for me to watch, too... Too many shows, too little time... unless I give up writing, which isn't happening.)

Felicity is definitely a fav of mine too. It's always fun when the blonde is the smartest one in the group. evil

I love the use of the flashbacks to tell what happened to Oliver while he was on the island and how he became the man who would want to take up the green hood. (I loved that about Lost, too. And people say Flashback are a BAD thing. HA!)

I'm hoping Flash and Gotham will both be added (next summer) to Netflix instant list, so I don't have to wait for the DVDs.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Me! Huge Arrow fan. It's one of the top shows in my week. Like you, Mouse, I just recently caught up with seasons 1 and 2 on Netflix and, with perfect timing, S3 just started here in the UK as I finished those.

Just adore Felicity. And, yes, I'll admit a small part of my heart is shipping her and Oliver. laugh

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Kerth
Kerth
I've been watching it (and now Flash), enjoy them a lot. The way they are currently complicating Oliver's back-story is getting a bit silly though, next they'll be producing a long-lost wife and child or something.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Originally Posted by VirginiaR
Now, sigh, I have to wait A WHOLE 'NOTHER YEAR for S3.

Not at all, simply go to the cw shows site, the holdback is only one week.

http://www.cwtv.com/shows/arrow

Framework4
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by Framework4
Originally Posted by VirginiaR
Now, sigh, I have to wait A WHOLE 'NOTHER YEAR for S3.

Not at all, simply go to the cw shows site, the holdback is only one week.

http://www.cwtv.com/shows/arrow
Just went to check that out and they only show the last 5 episodes and 7 have aired, so I'll have missed the first two. frown But I'll try to remember that for next year. Thanks for the link.

Last edited by VirginiaR; 11/21/14 10:34 PM. Reason: Fixed Typo

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Kerth
Kerth
I see on the leaked Best Buy ads for Black Friday that complete seasons of The Arrow (and many other series not pictured in the ad) will be on sale for $9.99.

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
T
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
T
Hulu also shows the current season. I don't know how many episodes the free portion shows, but Hulu plus is about $8/month. The flash show also is there.

That said, love both shows. Currently in season 2 of arrow. And caught up on flash. Not sure how I'm going to handle the two crossover episodes. Hmmm. Prolly end up watching them as soon as they come out. smile

Black Star: "If it's fear that you speak of, then I'll stand and face it. I'll never give up. The only time I lose is when I die!" - Soul Eater
M
Columnist
Columnist
M
I finally caught up with Arrow, and now I'm watching the new ones as they come out. It's the worst train-wreck of a show that I can't stop watching. Ollie is a terrible person, and he never comes down off his (undeserved) high horse. The "emotional" moments are shoe-horned in and never feel natural. But, strangely, for all it's problems, I can't stop watching the show. It's oddly addicting. If you genuinely like it, I'm the wrong person to watch with because I can't not yell at the screen and razz the characters. The third season is much better than the first two, though, especially because of a new character.

Brandon Routh plays Ray Palmer, and he's awesome. He's easily the best actor on the whole show, and the character is a genuinely nice guy. He steals every scene he's in.

Flash is an awesome show; it's surprising how much better it is, given that it's a spin-off. It's got some great actors and great writing. Gotham is a good show, too. I was expecting it to be pretty lame, but it's a solid cop show with good characters. I like the kid they've got playing Bruce Wayne and the guy that plays Alfred Pennyworth. Those two have a weird dynamic, and I like their relationship.

"It is a remarkable dichotomy. In many ways, Clark is the most human of us all. Then...he shoots fire from the skies, and it is difficult not to think of him as a god. And how fortunate we all are that it does not occur to him." -Batman (in Superman/Batman #3 by Jeph Loeb)

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard