So I'm desperate to post something, and get encouraging feedback, but I have to resist. I really, really want to post the next part of my Destiny series, but it's not ready. So, as I've been meaning to post this Smallville story for months and months, you are getting that instead. I know not many of you will read, but if you read please comment, even if it's only a few words.

I will start posting Arrival of Destiny farely soon, and I will try to post updates to this pretty often too.

Description: Chloe gives Clark a present soon after they become friends and it changes the course of his life ... until, one day, the present gets broken and Clark finds his life taking an unexpected, but long overdue, walk down destiny lane.

Spoilers: Plenty of scenes are almost direct quotes/homages, some are 'similar themes'. This applies to all series, from Pilot to End of Season 10.

Acknowledgements and Comments: This is my tribute to all things Superman. Although well rooted in the Smallville universe you will come across references to Lois and Clark, the Superman movies and the comics. Please keep in mind that this was only the second fanfic story I had ever written at the time.

Disclaimer: Superman, Clark Kent, Lois Lane and all other character and place names are owned by DC/WB/CW etc. I own nothing ... except my fantasies -- which frequently include Clark/Superman.

Band of Blue TOC

Prologue

“Clark, I’ve got something for you.” Chloe spoke tentatively and shyly. “I made it.”

“Chloe, you didn’t need to do that,” replied Clark.

“I wanted to. You’ve been so kind to me since I moved here. You’ve become my best friend in only two weeks so imagine how good our friendship will be in ten more years.” Chloe looked away in embarrassment. “Here,” she reached into her pocket and pulled out a friendship bracelet. “I want you to have this. I wove it all together myself.” She smiled in a self-conscious way. “The ... those blue rocks, I found them out in the woods last week. I thought it would look good, match your eyes, so I chipped off some small bits and threaded them through.” She gave a little giggle to finish.

“Chloe, it’s lovely. You’ve no idea how much I appreciate this. You’ve become a good friend to me in the two weeks since you arrived. I had a quiet life here on the farm and you’ve brought me adventure. I’ll always cherish this.” He held it up and looked at it. The small blue crystals reflected the sunlight coming through the open barn doors. He pushed his shirt back from his wrist a little and slipped the band over his hand. A slight tingle went up his arm and then disappeared.

He looked back up and Chloe. “Best Friends Forever?”

She nodded, “BFF’s.”

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Age 14:

Clark heard the screeching wheels before he noticed the car skidding all over the bridge. He jumped down from the railings and started running. The Porsche took a final, wild turn and then drove straight through the metal railings and off the side of the bridge. Clark ran over to the gap and saw the car disappearing under the water. He quickly took off his jacket and then dived in. Swimming down and down he was grateful that the river was fairly shallow at that point. His lungs began to burn but he kept searching for the door handle. Eventually, after feeling around for what seemed like hours, his hand latched on and he pulled up. Whoever was inside must have been pushing on the door at the same time as it opened quite easily. Someone pushed past him and headed up for the surface. Clark tried to do the same but his lungs were completely on fire now. His arms didn’t move when his brain ordered them too, his legs kicked weakly and his vision started to go black.

Clark came too suddenly on the bank at the edge of the river. Someone was shouting at him. “Come on, don’t die on me.” His vision cleared and he was shocked to see a young man with no hair leaning over him, trying to bring him round. “Oh, thank God, you’re alright,” he sighed in relief and sank back onto the ground.

Twenty minutes later he and his rescuer were wrapped in a red blankets to keep warm.

“Clark!” Clark heard his father’s voice and turned to look. Jonathan ran down the slope to Clark. “Son, are you alright?”

“I’m okay,” he replied.

“Who’s the manic who was driving that car?” Jonathan Kent looked around sternly.

“That would be me.” A hand was offered for Jonathan to shake. “Lex Luthor.”

“Jonathan Kent,” came the reply as Clark’s father shook off his coat to offer it to Clark. “This is my son.”

“Thanks for saving my life.” Lex looked down at Clark.

“Thanks for the same. I lost consciousness under there,” Clark admitted and worriedly glanced up at his father.

“You’ve got quite an extraordinary boy there, Mr Kent. He jumped in to save me and it nearly cost him his own life. If there’s any way I can repay you.” Lex said seriously.

“Drive slower,” came the blunt reply.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Age 16:

“Mom, these are awful.”

“Now, Clark, don’t complain. You need to wear them now. Getting that glass in your eye during the jewellery store robbery has scarred your corneas.” Martha Kent spoke softly but sternly to her son.

“But, they look so dorky,” Clark complained.

“Clark, they suit you, now just accept it. You need glasses.”

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Age 17:

“Lex, how could you?” Clark stormed into the mansion.

“Clark, thanks for calling ahead as a courtesy. It’s nice that you always inform me when you are about to storm in here,” Lex replied sarcastically.

“Lex,” Clark glared at his former best friend. Our friendship will be the stuff of legend. Clark still remembered those words but they meant nothing to him now.

“Okay Clark, I’ll take the bait. How could I what?” Lex did a dramatic open-armed shrug.

“Those people; Meteor infected. I know they are disturbed but they need help, not incarceration and experimentation.”

“I know you are obsessed with these meteors, Clark. Heck, every article you publish in that School Rag you run is about another dangerous meteor freak. Why would you want to protect them?”

“Because they are still people and they can be helped, but I doubt the things you are doing to them in 33.1 are going to reform them.”

“33.1? I have no idea what you are talking about Clark.”

“Of course you don’t Lex. You never do.” Clark scowled at the bald billionaire, turned and strode back out of the mansion.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Age 18:

“Clark, are you sure. The Torch has been your baby for years?” Chloe looked at him in surprise.

“Yes Chloe. I need to take a back seat for this final year if I want to take the Football more seriously. This is my last chance.” Clark tried to explain his need to be successful at Football just this once. “I’ve played on the team for years but just on the sidelines. I took my Journalism more seriously, and I will continue to do so at Met U, but I just want to put Football first for one year to show that, if I wanted to, this could have been my choice. I want to be starting Quarterback, just for my final year. Besides, Journalism will be with me the rest of my life.”

“Okay, Clark, I’ll take over from you.” She paused. “But you’re still on staff right?” she queried.

“Sure, nothing can stop me writing.” He grinned.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Age 22:

Clark’s mind was not on the path in front.

“Congratulations Mr. Kent. I always knew you’d end up here.” Perry White held out his hand to Clark. Clark reached and took it.

“Thank you Mr. White,” Clark replied.

“No, thank you, Clark. That time I spent in Smallville chasing ridiculous stories,” Perry paused and laughed. “You really helped me get back on track. And I knew then, when I read your work in The Torch. You’ve the makings of a fantastic reporter. Although ... there is some serious competition here at the Daily Planet. Can’t wait to see what you make of Mad Dog Lane.”

Mad Dog Lane. That didn’t sound good.

No, his mind was definitely not on where he was walking otherwise he would have noticed that he had walked into a dark alleyway. The mid-morning sun did not reach into the alley and it was all in shadow. He hung his head, sighed at his absentmindedness and turned round to get back to the main street.

His path was blocked.

Two young men stood in his way. Clark read their expressions in a second. They think I’m a soft touch; the suit: the geeky glasses. Guess they don’t realise I was a Quarterback in High School.

They both attacked at once and Clark found it difficult to keep in control. Eventually they got the idea and ran off. Clark felt relieved, tense, proud, overwhelmed. As the blood pounding in his ears began to fade he noticed many items scattered around the ground. They sparkled, they were blue.

“No!” Clark shouted. One of the lads must have grabbed at his wrist and his present from Chloe - his BFF band - had snapped, sending all the miniature blue beads scattered all over the alley. He managed to collect them up and put them in his pocket but his heart felt heavy. He knew he would never wear that band again.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Comments - if there are any.

KatherineKent/Victoria
Lois: "You put up with me for the same reason I put up with you. It's because I'm completely in love with you."
Clark: "And I love you ... Did we just make up?"
Lois: "I think so."