Because of the Tuesday holiday, I'm posting a few hours early.

Witness - Matchmaker Style

Rated PG-13

* * denotes emphasis
< > denotes thoughts
As always comments are welcome. (ken.janney@kjanney.com)

Previously

A reporter from the Star asked, "How does it feel to be the first woman to hold this post?"

With a self-deprecating smile she replied, "Well, I don't officially hold it for two days, but at the risk of being premature ..." she smiled, "... It feels great."

There was a round of applause.

As the applause died down, Lois shouted out, “Ms. Trevino, concerning the death of Dr. Vincent Winninger ...”

Ms. Trevino interrupted Lois and said, “Dr. Winninger was a brilliant scientist, and a dear friend of mine for many years. I was shocked and saddened by his death.”

Lois challenged, “How do you feel about the Ozone Layer?”

This seemed like a non sequitur and Barbara Trevino was momentarily puzzled.

Following up and not allowing Trevino to regain her composure, Lois challenged further, “What about increased male potency?”

There were a couple of snickers from the assembled reporters at that one, but Trevino and a number of the reporters looked at Lois like she had actually lost her mind. Clark was also quite puzzled at this line of questions.

Barbara Trevino’s eyes narrowed. She knew the source of these questions, it had to be Winninger. They had been too late. He had talked to a member of the press. She asked in a sibilant whisper, “Who *are* you?”

Lois replied, challengingly, “Lois Lane, Daily Planet!”

Trevino raised her tone so that all could hear, “Well, Ms. Lane, I find your sense of humor odd, to say the least, and totally inappropriate. I suggest this would be a good time to close this press conference.” She stepped back away from the podium and turned to leave.

As Trevino left so did a number of the reporters. When they were almost alone, Clark said, “Bold, Lois. Not too bright, but bold. What were you trying to accomplish? Where did those questions come from?”

“That was what Winninger was talking to me about. Did you see the look on her face? She knew exactly what I was talking about.” Lois looked around and in a lowered voice said, “Even if I didn't. There must be something in that notebook to explain it all. Why else would he have given it to me?”

With a shake of his head, Clark said, “Well, now we’ll never get to her. It sure looks like you’ve scared her off. I’m sure she now knows that you had a chance to talk with Winninger. That could make you just that much more of a target. We might as well head back. I don’t think we’re going to learn any more here.”

As they were turning away, an individual in a suit approached and speaking with a distinct Spanish accent asked, “Ms. Lane?” Lois turned toward him and he continued, “I am Dr. Trevino's administrative assistant. She wishes me to tell you that she will discuss whatever you like, privately.”

Lois glanced significantly at Clark and said, “I’m here with my husband.”

His reply was not satisfying as he said, “I'm sorry. Just you, she said. You understand ...”

Lois nodded and said, “She wants to talk woman-to-woman. It's a sisterhood thing.”

The aide nodded in agreement.

Lois said, “Sure, I understand, completely, but where I go, my husband also goes.”

The aide’s face fell, but he finally said, “This way please.”

He led them to an elevator which they entered. He took them to the top floor. When they exited the elevator, he led them to a stairwell which they took up to the roof access. He opened the door and ushered Lois through. He quickly followed and slammed the door in Clark’s face.

And now:

Chapter 07

Clark had been feeling uneasy about the situation, all the way up in the elevator and when the aide had taken them to the roof access his unease became acute. When the door was slammed in his face, he was sure that his fears had just been realized. He knew what he had to do, but he had to make this look good so he shouted, “Lois!” and pounded on the door a couple of times.

He used his x-ray vision to look through the door. The aide had pulled a gun and was facing off with Lois. Clark snickered to himself, <He doesn’t know who he’s up against.> As he finished thinking this, Lois unleashed a kick that knocked the gun out of his hand and then followed up with a reverse punch to the midsection that doubled him over.

As he watched the aide staggered back from the punch, but apparently it was a ploy, because it put him where he could recover his gun and he was too far away for Lois to kick him again. Seeing this Lois turned to run. As she did he heard her mutter, too softly for the aide to hear, but loud enough for super hearing, “It sure would be nice if Superman would make an appearance now.” He watched as she ducked around an air conditioning unit, putting a large obstacle between her and the gunman.

Spinning into the suit at super speed he flew down the stairwell to the first floor and out the door. Once outside he flew to the roof. He landed in front of Lois as she rounded the Air unit. Taking her in his arms he flew them up to the top of the unit where they could look down on her assailant.

The pebbled surface of the rooftop had been a noisy one to walk on and her assailant headed in the direction that he had seen her run. As he followed he could hear her footsteps and just as he was about to turn the corner, they stopped. Thinking that he might have cornered his quarry he approached the corner cautiously. He rounded it by giving the corner a wide berth, just in case she was waiting to attack him again. When he jumped from behind the barrier he was surprised to see that there was no dead end, but there was no Lois either.

Wondering how she could be moving silently, but convinced that she was still on the rooftop he started searching, moving from one cull-de-sac to another.

He was becoming increasingly frustrated because he couldn’t find her. He stood there, reaching up to scratch his head when he saw the shadow. A shadow of two individuals, one with a cape blowing in the wind. He was careful not to let on that he had seen it and slowly prepared. Once he was ready, he spun and aimed up at where the shadows were coming from and snapped off a shot.

He had Lois lined up in his sights, but the bullet never hit its intended target. A hand moved to intercept the slug before it could hit her snatching it out of the air.

In the blink of an eye they disappeared and then he heard a whoosh behind him.

He spun and brought the gun into play once again. Superman was standing next to Lois and before the first slug was half way there he was between her and the gun. His hands became a blur as he snatched the bullets out of the air.

Lois said to the aide, “Is this guy cool or what?”

While Superman was doing this he focused his heat vision on the automatic the would-be murderer was wielding.

His magazine was only half empty when suddenly his gun started to heat up and got so hot that he cried out in pain and dropped it.

Superman quipped, “Hey, if you can’t stand the heat …” He turned to Lois and said, “I’ll be back for you in a minute.” He picked up the aide and flew him off the rooftop.

Lois looked over the parapet as Superman landed on the ground with his captive and placed him in a lawn chair. As she watched he bent the metal arms in forming an effective restraint system which would hold him until the police arrived. As she watched, she said to herself, “I just love that man.”

Superman picked her up and flew her to the courtyard, landing next to the chair that the aide was restrained in. As soon as he set her down he said, “I need to go release that roof access door. When I do I’ll tell Clark that you are down here.”

“Thanks for your help, Superman.”

“Any time, Ms. Lane.” So saying he flew off.

A couple of minutes later, Clark, apparently out of breath from running down the stairs, came out of the doors. Spotting Lois he approached and said, “Superman had to run, or rather fly. I said that we’d wait for the police.”

Lois was thinking out loud when she said, “Dr. Hubert, Mr. Tracewski, the guy in the wheelchair, now this guy. I wonder …” She leaned down and examined him closely. She noted something that looked almost like a seam in fabric around his neck. On impulse she reached for this and sliding her fingernails under began to pull. A rubber mask of sorts came off in her hand. She addressed him, “Sebastian Finn, I presume. Sooooooo, why’d you kill Dr. Winninger?”

Finn was sarcastic as he replied, “His Rosencrantz was atrocious.”

“But why come after me?”

“You could identify me.”

“No, I couldn’t. I thought it was Dr, Hubert.”

He shrugged as best he could restrained as he was and replied, “Well, that’s the way it goes sometimes.”

Lois challenged, “How does Barbara Trevino fit into this?”

He gave her a look as if to say, ‘You really think I’m going to tell you anything?’

I response to his look, Lois said, “Maybe you’ll talk to the police.”

Finn replied, using his best theatrical expression, “Not very likely. Superman may be the Man of Steel, but I … I have a will of iron.”

At this performance, Lois raised an eyebrow and said, “I hate actors.”

After they returned to the Planet, Lois and Clark enlisted Jimmy’s aid in making phone calls to follow up on various aspects of the case. All three finished with their individual calls almost simultaneously

Seeing that they had all finished, Lois took charge and turning to Jimmy said, “You first.”

Jimmy grabbed his notebook and read the notes he had taken during his call, “According to the police, Sebastian Finn wasn't just moonlighting when he killed Winninger. The police think he's been a successful hitman for years. I guess he finally made his ability to disguise himself as anyone pay off.”

With a smug smile, Lois said, “I can top that I just talked to the dean of the Philosophy department at Metropolis University. He used to be a member of the Elimont Commune. He knew Winninger, Finn and Trevino way back when. Apparently it was a regular Peyton Place. Winninger and Trevino used to be together, but then he dumped her.”

Playing the straight man, Clark asked, “Why?”

Lois smiled and continued, “Because Winninger felt she was selling out, abandoning the ideals they all believed in. Then, she took up with Finn. They eventually split, but stayed in contact.”

Not that he was playing one ups-man with Lois, but Clark said, “I can top that. Dr. Hubert, the man no one can find. Well, I found him. He's flying in tonight. He'll talk to us tomorrow.”

Lois pointed out, “That's great but, we still don't know the connection between increased male potency, the rainforest and Barbara Trevino. The police questioned her and she's got an airtight alibi, of course. She was getting in her limo. She claims she has no knowledge of any attempt on my life. It would be real nice if I could talk to her myself.”

Jimmy had a sarcastic tone in his voice as he said, “Yeah, good luck with that.”

Later, in the evening, Jimmy had gone to the darkroom to catch up on printing some shots, Lois was still at her computer and Clark had just shut down his computer and was preparing to leave. He went over and sat in Lois’s visitor chair. He asked, “You ready to call it a day yet?”

She looked at him and smiled before turning back to her computer, “Not quite. I’ve got a little more work.”

“Anything I can help you with?”

“I don’t think so. I just need to get this written up.”

Just then, Clark cocked his head to the side in a way that Lois had come to recognize. She asked, “What are you hearing?”

“Fire in Suicide Slum.”

“Go. Finn’s in jail. I’ll be fine.”

“Are you sure?”

“I’ve got enough to do to keep me busy until you get back. Go ahead. I promise, I won’t go anywhere.”

As Clark headed for the stairwell, Lois went back to her computer. Five minutes later, Lois’s phone rang. Lois answered, “Daily Planet, Lois Lane.”

She heard a familiar voice come from the receiver, “Lois, Barbara Trevino here.”

Lois was shocked, but recovered quickly, “I missed you the other day after the press conference.”

Trevino’s reply was enigmatic, “No, I believe that it was I that missed you.”

Not one to beat about the bush, except when it would help, Lois went straight to the point, “Would you care to tell me what this is all about?”

Trevino kept up the mystery by replying, “I think I'll tell you when I see you. And that should be soon. Very soon.” As soon as she finished speaking the connection was broken.

Thoughtfully looking at the not dead phone, Lois hung it up. Concerned with the implications, Lois looked around warily taking in the mostly empty newsroom.

Five minutes later Clark returned.

“How was it?”

“Nothing major, grease fire in a kitchen. A lot of smoke damage. I was able to prevent the spread of the flames. You ready to head home yet?”

“Yeah, we have to talk.”

Intrigued, Clark asked, “Oh, what happened?”

“As soon as you left to take care of that,” she looked around, “item, I had a phone call.”

“Oh, who called?”

“Barbara Trevino.”

Clark’s eyebrows rose until they almost merged with his hairline.

“Yeah, I asked her what this was all about. She said she would tell me when she saw me. She said it would be soon.”

“That could be a problem.”

The next day

Ever since Barbara Trevino called Lois and Clark had been on heightened alert. He was concerned that Lois could be attacked anytime or anyplace, the newsroom of the Daily Planet included. When the doors of the elevator opened, Clark checked the area before allowing Lois to exit. On the way up in the elevator, he had gone so far as to ask people at intermediate stops to wait for the car to return just so that Lois and he could be in the car alone.

Lois appreciated what he was doing, but felt it was over-the-top and was starting to be annoyed by the restrictions he was placing on her. “Clerk, I think you can drop the Kevin-Costner-protecting-Whitney-Houston bit. We're inside the Planet. We should be safe here.”

Perry was walking by and heard Lois’s comment. He stopped and said, “I've put on extra security in the lobby. Nobody gets in or out without proper I.D.”

Lois gave Clark an I-told-you-so look and said, “See? All taken care of. I should be safe here.” She reached out and caressed his cheek as she said, “I do love it that you care so much.”

Seeing them still near the elevator, Jimmy approached and said, “Hubert’s waiting for you in Winninger’s study.”

Clark, concern in his voice asked, “He won’t meet us here?”

Shaking his head he said, “Uh, uh. He’s afraid to come out, with what happened to Winninger and all.”

Lois nodded and said, “Come on, Clark. Looks like we have to go meet a source.”

“Lois, why don’t you stay here and let me go meet with him.”

“Clark, look, this is still my story. If you hadn’t been called away I wouldn’t have been there alone. I need to follow through on this.”

Shaking his head, Clark said, “You really are high maintenance, you know that?”

Smiling, Lois nodded and said, “But, I’m worth it and you wouldn’t have me any other way.”

With a rueful grin, Clark said, “Once more into the breach.”

They were still unsure that Finn was the only assassin that was out to get Lois so when they exited the Planet building, Lois couldn’t help looking seemingly everywhere at once, checking out all of the faces that she could see. They quickly crossed the street and hailed a cab and as soon as one pulled up, Clark hustled her into it.

When they arrived at Winninger’s Clark paid the cabbie. Lois stopped him and said, “You’re not leaving me for another elementary school visit are you?”

Clark put his arm around her waist and pulled her into his body before he answered. “This time, I’m with you, body and soul.”

Lois smiled and admitted to herself that she felt relieved that he was with her. It wasn’t that she didn’t feel like she could handle herself, but the last time had shaken her. There isn’t much that karate can do against a gun.

Doctor Hubert let them in and led them back to the den.

With the pictures of the commune on the wall behind him, he began to speak. “During the time Vincent spent in the Amazon, one of the discoveries he made was a rare plant which, when correctly harvested and processed, increased male potency.”

Lois snarked, “So then his prowess with the ladies wasn’t all God given?”

Doctor Hubert replied succinctly and with a nod, “Correct.”

Clark commented, “Better sex through science.” He looked at Lois and lifted an eyebrow, “Why not?”

Lois blushed and patted his arm. “Everyman wants to be Superman in bed, I guess.” She looked at him significantly and said, “Some men don’t need the help.”

Doctor Hubert noted this by play and pressed on, “He also discovered vast mineral deposits beneath areas of the rain forest that are currently protected by law.”

Clark asked “How does Barbara Trevino fit into all of this?”

Doctor Hubert nodded and replied, “I was just coming to that. Barbara knew of Vincent's discoveries and research, and tried to convince him they should be exploited for their commercial value. He turned her down cold.”

A sudden thought occurred to Lois and she dug into her bag, almost frantically. She finally found what she was after and pulled it out. It was a piece of paper, she explained as she read, “This Is the background sheet on Trevino they handed out at the press conference. Yes, here it is … Barbara Trevino is, among other things, on the of board directors of Hobbs Mining.” After reading she looked up and said, “Extensive mining operations in protected areas of the rain forest would constitute an ecological disaster.”

Doctor Hubert was enthusiastic as he said, “Winninger knew that. The world saw him as a hedonist, but he was really a humanist. The plant he discovered was just one of the many potential treasures hidden deep in the rain forest, waiting to be discovered for the eventual good of all mankind. He devoted his life to preserving that resource.”

comments go here

TBC

Last edited by KenJ; 11/10/14 06:45 PM.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj